• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Wow, that last boss was pretty great. Can't wait to start playing this on the higher difficulties. On the final boss (on hard)...
I was really surprised at how much raw damage his moves do to you, I really wished the game didn't drop fucking FOUR health items for you several times during it - maybe this changes on harder difficulties? I really liked that if you manage to be extremely aggressive with him that he will go into stagger states a ton which will also stop him in the middle of his moves. With skilled use of the dodge attack you can ace him pretty fast.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Wow, that last boss was pretty great. Can't wait to start playing this on the higher difficulties. On the final boss (on hard)...
I was really surprised at how much raw damage his moves do to you, I really wished the game didn't drop fucking FOUR health items for you several times during it - maybe this changes on harder difficulties? I really liked that if you manage to be extremely aggressive with him that he will go into stagger states a ton which will also stop him in the middle of his moves. With skilled use of the dodge attack you can ace him pretty fast.

Yeah, that's how I had to beat him: aggression. My first big mistake was trying to play conservatively, dodging all his massive attacks and then quickly closing the distance for brief combos. You really need to get all up in his shit to take him down properly.

Wolf's codecs are cracking me up. They deserve more props, I think.

There's a goofiness throughout the story that isn't getting enough credit, period. People keep complaining about how bad the narrative is, but I'm loving the cheese. It's a different kind of humor than standard MGS stuff, but it's hilarious.

JPKellams

Is it, or will it be, possible to purchase versions of the songs having the same progression as in the boss fights -- i.e. with vocals kicking in towards the end? Also, is there no official release of 'A Stranger I Remain' longer than the 2:25 version on the Vocal Tracks CD?

The instrumentals are on the vocal CD. You could always make your own edit... The boss fight progression stuff is dynamically triggered, so there'd be no way to "make a version like the game."

Also, if JP check this, spanish subs are kind of borked, sometimes they show in German.

Weird. Can you tell me where this is happening?

Hypron

Hey guys,
I just received the game and tried to activate the Gray Fox and received an error message saying "There is a problem with the offer associated with this code.". Is anyone else having the same issue?

Edit: Nevermind, I used the search function and got my answer haha. Gotta wait 24/48 hours :(

demidar

Wolf has more personality than most of the supporting cast. At least of the mandatory conversations, I haven't delved into codecs for the sake of it yet.

Codec conversations are one of my favourite features in MGS games. I hope they don't skimp on them this game just because it's not of the Solid franchise.

Ken

Hey guys,
I just received the game and tried to activate the Gray Fox and received an error message saying "There is a problem with the offer associated with this code.". Is anyone else having the same issue?

Edit: Nevermind, I used the search function and got my answer haha. Gotta wait 24/48 hours :(

I haven't tried my code yet. What should I do if I get that message?

FStop7

Banned
Gamestop code not working for me, either.

Not sure how I feel about the combat but the art direction of this game is so awesome. Love it. I want a MAVERICK windbreaker like Boris'.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I didn't need to jump or dodge while doing the bridge segment... I just ran over most of the cars too. This was on hard.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Welp, I finished the game on hard, then chose to start a new game on very hard instead of continuing from r-00, and now everything is gone. All my unlocks, BP, upgrades, even my rankings and completed chapter select for hard mode is gone.

If the game weren't so awesome and I didn't mind playing through it again I would be pretty livid right now. :p

Welp, I finished the game on hard, then chose to start a new game on very hard instead of continuing from r-00, and now everything is gone. All my unlocks, BP, upgrades, even my rankings and completed chapter select for hard mode is gone.

If the game weren't so awesome and I didn't mind playing through it again I would be pretty livid right now. :p

Just think of playing through Very Hard without upgrades as a true challenge.

demidar

Only one save? That's a shame.

Only one save? That's a shame.

No, there are 3 save files. If you hit "New Game" after loading the save file, it will reset everything on that save file and start on the difficulty you selected. To do "New Game+" your just hit Continue after beating the game (which will ask you to select the difficulty for your next playthrough).

Dammit Australia
Delayed till the 26th

rQOg6Dg.jpg

hehehehe

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Wolf has more personality than most of the supporting cast. At least of the mandatory conversations, I haven't delved into codecs for the sake of it yet.

I dunno, Kev and the others can be kinda funny at times. The Doktor focusing on
Mist's breasts
was hilarious to me and a typical Kojima thing.

Mistral's theme is great, I've had it stuck in my head since I heard it.

I dunno, Kev and the others can be kinda funny at times. The Doktor focusing on
Mist's breasts
was hilarious to me and a typical Kojima thing.
Doktor was also good, but I got nothing out of Kevin, Courtney or Boris outside of Boris liking when I cut the tape on swimsuit posters and Courtney not. Though like I said I haven't really jumped into optional codecs so I'll refrain from saying anything more.

Playing aggressively is how I beat the game. I didn't let any boss get a chance to breathe, that's probably why the final boss was so easy to me.

No, there are 3 save files. If you hit "New Game" after loading the save file, it will reset everything on that save file and start on the difficulty you selected. To do "New Game+" your just hit Continue after beating the game (which will ask you to select the difficulty for your next playthrough).
Fuck! I hit new game instead of continue

MechaX

This fucking bridge.

I'm ninja running forward, I'm chopping cars if they block me, and for some reason, I keep dying in the exact same spot.

Ken

This fucking bridge.

I'm ninja running forward, I'm chopping cars if they block me, and for some reason, I keep dying in the exact same spot.

Are you talking about the very beginning of the game? I played on hard and just held ninja run and did it on the first try. Didn't think anyone else would have a problem with it.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I got through it on my first try too.

Vanquish's collapsing bridge trained me well, I guess!

zroid

Banned
What bridge are you talking about? The thing in Ch1?

I died once right at the start because the sequence caught me off guard. But it was trivial once I actually knew what the hell was going on.

MechaX

Are you talking about the very beginning of the game? I played on hard and just held ninja run and did it on the first try. Didn't think anyone else would have a problem with it.

That's exactly what I'm doing. But after the QTE part, no matter how far I get ahead, a portion of the bridge just explodes and Raiden just falls. No chance to even try to make a jump or anything, he just falls.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
This fucking bridge.

go to a different spot then

the cars are always in the same spot so go to where they aren't going to be to keep moving

Just finished my first playthrough (PS3). Here is my (long) list of impressions.

• The first thing most people will notice is the 60fps, it is absolutely gorgeous
  • Character/enemy models and special effects look very impressive
  • Once you go crazy with the free cutting and Zandatsu, things start looking kinda janky
  • Ninja run looks a bit janky at times as well
  • The normal combat is very solid and easy to play
  • MGR's combat system is nowhere as deep as Bayonetta or Devil May Cry, but extremely fun and exciting
  • The two defining mechanics in this game are blade mode and parrying
  • The set pieces are no less over-the-top than previous games developed by PlatinumGames
  • Some scenes made me laugh and some made my jaw drop
  • There is A LOT of replay value. Upgrades, collectibles, unlockable weapons and costumes, VR missions, etc!
  • The game does in fact feel a bit short, but not too short
  • It is clear that PlatinumGames had a limited time to re-develop this game, even then, it is still a fantastic game overall

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Just finished my first play through, I'm really enjoying this gonna keep blowing through this till I finish revengeance then I think I'll hit up the VR missions after finding them all.

Any of you guys drop the 2 bucks on the MGS4 raiden skin? The animation on raidens facemask when activating AR mode loooks fantastic with this skin, I way prefer this than the grey fox skin.

Any of you guys have a preferred skin so far?
Also is the baseline muramasa straight up better than the HF blade? Or does anyone know at which point the Muramasa begins to outclass the HFB, if it ever does.

Mike M

Nick N
Thought I would be a man and jump right into Hard.

Shit, this game is hard. Or I suck. Possibly both. I can't seem to parry for the life of me, Gekkos are eating me alive, Blade Wolf was only defeated by running like crazy and then spamming heavy attack when a moment presented itself... Jesus,,,

Top Bottom