• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
For Japanese PS3 owners, beware.... the JP version has no English voice or subtitles.

Ken

Thought I would be a man and jump right into Hard.

Shit, this game is hard. Or I suck. Possibly both. I can't seem to parry for the life of me, Gekkos are eating me alive, Blade Wolf was only defeated by running like crazy and then spamming heavy attack when a moment presented itself... Jesus,,,

When I was still figuring out the game, I just parried Blade Wolf's combination attack and ninja run Y when he prepared to do the grab attack. The latter was luck though lol.

Alchemy

Today felt like I was playing an entirely different game, it just clicked. After the rough start of smashing into things with my face and I'm cutting through guys like butter and parrying everything like a pro. Feels so fucking good.

Just finished my first play through, I'm really enjoying this gonna keep blowing through this till I finish revengeance then I think I'll hit up the VR missions after finding them all.

Any of you guys drop the 2 bucks on the MGS4 raiden skin? The animation on raidens facemask when activating AR mode loooks fantastic with this skin, I way prefer this than the grey fox skin.

Any of you guys have a preferred skin so far?

I did. I like the somewhat simplistic look of it, Raiden is less pointy. Can't wait 'til I can use Fox's skin and Blade though.

Mechazawa

There's no perceivable rhyme or reason to what kills you on that dumb bridge. I failed it like 4 times and each time I was holding down the ninja run and I either ran in a relatively straight path or tried dodging the cars and both gave me a fail state.

My "successful" path didn't even look that different from the rest of my attempts.

Y'know despite having the Gray Fox skin I like sticking with the default look, the whole
Jack the Ripper, is this a spoiler? I mean this goes back to MGS2 but whatever
angle makes me like Raiden enough to keep playing as him. Just got the BP to try out Fox's sword, let's see how ridiculous this is.

Edit: Wow, this is like playing Jedi Academy with the gore mode on. Every swipe just dices people up.

MechaX

There's no perceivable rhyme or reason to what kills you on that dumb bridge. I failed it like 4 times and each time I was holding down the ninja run and I either ran in a relatively straight path or tried dodging the cars and both gave me a fail state.

My "successful" path didn't even look that different from the rest of my attempts.

That's my feeling from that part. Hell, the part I was dying at, Raiden all of a sudden jumps forward and initiates the next scene. On all other attempts at the exact same section, the game just cuts to his dying animation before the portion of the bridge even fell.

Ken

Seems like I'm breezing through hard difficulty faster than I did on normal.

Is the time to escape grabs shorter on hard difficulty? I started on hard so I have no idea how much time you have to escape them on normal but it seems a little tight on hard ;_; .

Is the Gray Fox DLC available yet in US for 360? I saw somebody mention it was, but I couldn't find it - only the MGS4 outfit.

Also, I feel like I'm not a total fraud -- I got an S Rank on Mission 00 on Revengeance just now. I also felt a bit proud during the second Ray encounter. It always starts off with him firing the laser at you, but I rushed in and attacked the head frantically and at the last moment I triggered the Zandatsu before he fired. Oh man, this game seriously rewards you so well for being bold and aggressive.

Is the time to escape grabs shorter on hard difficulty? I started on hard so I have no idea how much time you have to escape them on normal but it seems a little tight on hard ;_; .
I think its the same if not then Normal might be slightly longer but not much

Finished. Really liked it. The final boss was making me mad until I actually kicked his ass, so it becomed a pretty satisfying moment.

I also loved how cheesy the story was. It was the first (console) Platinum Game where I was not having a headache because how stupid the plot was.

If there's one take away I have for this game it's how much I love synced music with a boss fight and how surprisingly effective it is at getting you hyped.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I never had an issue with the falling bridge. I've done it 5 or so times now. Never died. Just Ninja Run forward and Raiden takes care of the rest.

Marlowe89

I failed it like twice, and then got through it pretty easily by just manually jumping constantly (even if there wasn't an obstacle in my path). Dunno if it'll help though, that actually seems to make it worse for some people.

Ferr986

Weird. Can you tell me where this is happening?

Here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-Z6XBmKY6Y

09:58. There was something more in german in that scene I think. Checked the english sub for if this was normal and it showed in english.

Didnt play more than Bladewolf so I dont know if theres more sub problems. Ill keep you informed if so.

EDIT: I have read some dude in a spanish forum telling than theres an ability description showing in german too. Cant check it now now. (EDIT: Yep, the dodge description is mixed in german and spanish words).

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
If there's one take away I have for this game it's how much I love synced music with a boss fight and how surprisingly effective it is at getting you hyped.

That shit is done so masterfully in this game. I don't even love the music, but the synching of it just makes those battles feel so much more intense.

Information about the DLCs coming out for MGR:R! With pics.
http://www.metalgearsolidtv.com/2013/02/metal-gear-rising-revengeance-new-vr.html
http://www.konami.jp/mgr/jp/dlc/
http://www.platinumgames.co.jp/mgr/blog/221/
First DLC is called the "Soul Snake Wooden Sword". A special wooden sword infused with the soul of Solid Snake and every time you swing it, you will hear Snake’s voice. VR19 : Unarmed Combat Training. A street fighter style mission which is fighting with bare hands against cyborg with side-scrolling game's fixed camera. In VR 21, you will be able to control the Dwarf Gekko to stun all the cyborg soldiers in the darkness long stage.
Second DLC is Sam! Not much details have been given but looks like you will be able to control Sam to against Ray and others cyborg. Third DLC is LQ-84i! Again, so stay tuned for more info.
The VR Missions are PS3-exclusive only in North America. In Latin America and Europe, the DLC will be available for the Xbox 360 as well. The first DLC will be available for download in early April. Price 300 yen or $3.

Esura

Banned
Any tips for Jetstream Sam? He is owning me and I can only get him to 60% when you knock his sword away. Playing on Hard.

Any tips for Jetstream Sam? He is owning me and I can only get him to 60% when you knock his sword away. Playing on Hard.
I dunno if this is a legit strat but I equipped the pole-arm and constantly did the heavy stab attack while in the air at him. Worked for me...... (also you could replay previous chapters and get health pickups and save and quit out of the chapters)..

Just finished the game. Nice action game with minimal filler! Boss fight spoiler question:
I've noticed during the blade mode you do to a boss at the end of the fights I'll sometimes see a "destroyed" message. Does that mean you can Zandatsu the boss?

rCIZZLE

As a huge Bayonetta and God of War fan, do you guys think this will be a good purchase? I have a gift card and a desire to purchase a new game.

chrono01

As a huge Bayonetta and God of War fan, do you guys think this will be a good purchase? I have a gift card and a desire to purchase a new game.

Do not think any further.

Ninja Run your way to your local retailer and purchase a copy now. You will not regret it!

Esura

Banned
I dunno if this is a legit strat but I equipped the pole-arm and constantly did the heavy stab attack while in the air at him. Worked for me...... (also you could replay previous chapters and get health pickups and save and quit out of the chapters)..

Wouldn't hurt to try this. Thank you.

There are 4 boxes sitting around with health items in each one (for some reason you have to use blade mode to open them up IIRC?).

Sam has ridiculous range with his moves. Seems impossible to break away and look for items, especially because the camera focuses on him too.

deim0s

Might be too late. At 60%, use offensive defense move when he's charging at you. You'll leave him open for some slashes when the actual slash from the move hits.

duckroll

Good Lord. This game is SO fun. I'm really quite surprised what a small part of the first stage the demo actually is. I'm still not done with the first stage! Fast paced action. Robots. Swordplay. In the Metal Gear world. SO GOOD. The codecs are actually pretty funny, and definitely feel like MGS. It's really impressive how the MGS setting and Platinum Games' design and direction fits together. It's extra impressive that this game was made in less than 2 years. Just crazy.

Oh, and I noticed the hidden data packages you collect actually unlock high resolution concept art in the main menu. Aaaaaaaaah. I'm in love. <3

Carbonox

iOgE6Mml.jpg

My REVENGEANCE is RISING.

TIME TO LEAVE THEM ALL BEHIND

Ken

Where do I go to buy both the vocal and instrumental soundtracks? Some tracks I like with vocals (Mistral's theme) but some I prefer the instrumental (Monsoon's) so it's too bad both versions are sold separately.

It's weird it only shows up on that picture under the camera flash, looking at it in person incredibly closely I can't see or feel any scratches.

Top Bottom