• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoboman

Manberg900 said:
When I mention acts, I'm talking about the gameplay.
That makes even less sense

Oh and Acid08, do shut up, we've known how many acts/locations there are in the game for years

Xtyle

I think backlash for this game will be big because of this huge hype and expectation.
I don't even think MGS2 was this hyped up. MGS3 was a no show in terms of hype..well outside of the very hardcore fans anyway.

Acid08

Banned
bigben85 said:
I think backlash for this game will be big because of this huge hype and expectation.
I don't even think MGS2 was this hyped up. MGS3 was a no show in terms of hype..well outside of the very hardcore fans anyway.
Hardcore fans won't be disappointed. I honestly think the GTA4 backlash will be worse than this games.

countdown3.jpg

bigben85 said:

You obviously have no idea why MGS2 had backlash. You sound like an idiot

I wonder if kojima has another playable character in this game

or i wonder if we will get some type of DLC later... where we can play as raiden or someone else in a alternate story or prequel

konami would be bank

bigben85 said:
WTH?
How exactly?

Because MGS2 had backlash because they changed the main character to raiden, 1/4 of the way into the game. That was the backlash. People expected to play as Snake the whole game but didn't for most of the game.

MGS4 has no such potential for that kind of a backlash. And on a side note, the backlash wasn't even that big because MGS2 still sold over 7 million copies world wide, putting it in second place in the MGS series behind MGS 1 which went over 10 million.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
I haven't been following this thread, but I want to ASSURE fans that there are MANY MORE than two acts. All are playable. As for unplayable acts (and this isn't a huge spoiler),
there are a couple of those, too, but they aren't numbered.

I've finished the game and can state this with confidence. Incidentally, as I say in my review, it's the best MGS, the best game on PS3, and the best game Kojima has ever made.

Aokage said:
I haven't been following this thread, but I want to ASSURE fans that there are MANY MORE than two acts. All are playable. As for unplayable acts (and this isn't a huge spoiler),

I've finished the game and can state this with confidence. Incidentally, as I say in my review, it's the best MGS, the best game on PS3, and the best game Kojima has ever made.

where is your review.. im not trying to dig in your history

Aokage said:

Dude shut up I wanted people to be pleasantly surprise :)

Xtyle

Manberg900 said:
Because MGS2 had backlash because they changed the main character to raiden, 1/4 of the way into the game. That was the backlash. People expected to play as Snake the whole game but didn't for most of the game.

MGS4 has no such potential for that kind of a backlash. And on a side note, the backlash wasn't even that big because MGS2 still sold over 7 million copies world wide, putting it in second place in the MGS series behind MGS 1 which went over 10 million.

But you have to remember that MGS4 is bringing in a ton of causal gamers who have never played or understand the series. At least I think it's being promoted to do that.
Looking at the reviews, it looks like the fans will enjoy it most likely...but those who are new to the series may be turned off by long cutscenes, complicated story and such mgs stables...

Why mention sales..I have been playing the series since mgs1 and know just about pretty much everything about the series thus far, just as much as everyone else following the series. Look at Halo3...I think there was a considerable backlash even though it was technically better than Halo2 (better campaign and ending, etc).

Prothero

Neo Member
Kagari said:
As we get closer to release day, that spoiler thread looks more and more tempting. I MUST REMAIN CLEAN

I already saw a major spoiler character and I wish I hadn't (this was around two weeks ago or so, maybe more) because I much rather would've had the surprise, given who it was. I was on a Metal Gear fan site board and someone had posted a spoiler that I accidentally read because I browsing through what seemed to be a spoiler-free discussion thread.

Don't go in there, Kagari--stay strong.

Laurent

Manberg900 said:
You obviously have no idea why MGS2 had backlash. You sound like an idiot
I think he's more unaware of HOW BIG the marketing behind Sons of Liberty... I was at E3 2001, it was on everybody's lips!!

bigben85 said:
But you have to remember that MGS4 is bringing in a ton of causal gamers who have never played or understand the series. At least I think it's being promoted to do that.
Looking at the reviews, it looks like the fans will enjoy it most likely...but those who are new to the series may be turned off by long cutscenes, complicated story and such mgs stables...

Why mention sales..I have been playing the series since mgs1 and know just about pretty much everything about the series thus far, just as much as everyone else following the series. Look at Halo3...I think there was a considerable backlash even though it was technically better than Halo2 (better campaign and ending, etc).

Backlash doesn't come from casual gamers. The backlash comes from the hardcore. If anything if there is something in MGS4 that is backlash worthy it will come from the select hardcore MGS fans. ANd being that I am one of those and have played the game, there will be no such backlash unless you have hated MGS from the start.

Bulla564

Banned
Aokage said:

AY DIOS MIO!!!!

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Can someone explain the Beauty and the Beast Corps? How did they get all traumatized, and can Snake go Leisure Suit Larry on 'em?

____

Quick question....

can anybody link me to the hi-res MGS4 OST cover?

I think I saw it here, but there are 7000+ replies...and i've forgotten which page it was on :lol

The game being so close should be incentive enough to NOT have it spoiled. In all actuality, I probably would have looked at the spoiler thread... 2-3 years ago. But since it's only a few days off, there's no way in hell I will look, after waiting for this long.

So about this install thing, so how much space does MGS4 take up on the hard drive at any given time. Can someone check their PS3 to see how big the install is.

Acid08

Banned
MiamiWesker said:
So about this install thing, so how much space does MGS4 take up on the hard drive at any given time. Can someone check their PS3 to see how big the install is.
The back of the package says 4.6GBs.

Xtyle

Manberg900 said:
Backlash doesn't come from casual gamers. The backlash comes from the hardcore. If anything if there is something in MGS4 that is backlash worthy it will come from the select hardcore MGS fans. ANd being that I am one of those and have played the game, there will be no such backlash unless you have hated MGS from the start.

Well, let's just see how it will go.
I am pretty sure I will enjoy it seeing I loved each one (other than Twin Snakes, which I haven't played)

to the person that mentioned the E3 showing...yes it was big in the media but I think MGS4 is bigger in the sense that it is more streamlined towards western gamers and potentially reaching a bigger audience because of the changes. I also thing the various showings of the trailers have gotten very positive feedbacks...I don't remember MGS2 having so many reviews leaked so early. And the KJP podcast was another way to keep the fans in the loop..MGS2 never had any of that.

The only game I was as hyped as this was RE4...that one turned out to be awesome:)

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
MiamiWesker said:
Yeah but now with this info about semi installs or whatever does that change the number.

Not really. I guess that 4Gb figure accounts for the initial install plus the biggest cached data.

LJ11

MiamiWesker said:
Yeah but now with this info about semi installs or whatever does that change the number.

I think it keeps the same file size, but it swaps out certain assets for new locations or what not.

Acid08

Banned
MiamiWesker said:
Each time it installs it erases the previous install in that same part if you're playing a chapter over again. So it's 4.6GB's all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom