• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc Evils

LiquidMetal14 said:
Makes you look at things in perspective and not seeing all 10's like GTA4. This is and has always been the real deal for me. Hype is beyond anything I've experienced.

Yeah at least the reviewers finished MGS4.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
So what difficulty is everyone planning on choosing first time through? I'm thinking Solid Normal, but it's hard to gauge what this really is. I suppose this replaces hard, and Big Boss Hard replaces extreme?

Klone.K

Just as some interesting trivia... The song here to you originates from an Italian film Sacco e Vanzetti in 1971. The film is a documentary of sorts on two men...

Possibly MAJOR ending spoilers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicola_Sacco

Ferdinando Nicola Sacco (April 22, 1891 – August 23, 1927) and Bartolomeo Vanzetti (June 11, 1888 – August 23, 1927) were two Italian-born American laborers and anarchists, who were tried, convicted and executed via electrocution on August 23, 1927 in Massachusetts for the 1920 armed robbery and murder of two pay-clerks in South Braintree, Massachusetts.

If you consider the ending Kojima originaly envisioned for MGS, this could say a lot.

I fucking hate reviewers now. Never before have I been so jealous of their benefits and privileges. They already know what happens, they already know the answers to the burning questions.

BALLS.

Klone.K said:
Just as some interesting trivia... The song here to you originates from an Italian film Sacco e Vanzetti in 1971. The film is a documentary of sorts on two men...

Ferdinando Nicola Sacco (April 22, 1891 – August 23, 1927) and Bartolomeo Vanzetti (June 11, 1888 – August 23, 1927) were two Italian-born American laborers and anarchists, who were tried, convicted and executed via electrocution on August 23, 1927 in Massachusetts for the 1920 armed robbery and murder of two pay-clerks in South Braintree, Massachusetts.

If you consider the ending Kojima originaly envisioned for MGS, this could say a lot.
Can you elaborate on "
" ?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Nothing on huge spoilers from MGS4. I'd rather not even see MGS1/2/3/PO/MG1/2 even spoiled for those are have not fully entrenched themselves in the series.

B.K.

i_am_not_jon_ames said:
Can you elaborate on "
" ?

Someone said earlier in this thread that
Kojima had originally planned for the series to end with Snake and Otacon being arrested and sent to prison.

LiquidMetal14 said:
Nothing on huge spoilers from MGS4. I'd rather not even see MGS1/2/3/PO/MG1/2 even spoiled for those are have not fully entrenched themselves in the series.

Speaking of spoilers for MGS3, in another thread a guy had
the part in MGS3 where the game forces you to pull the trigger to kill The Boss spoiled for him.

B.K. said:
Someone said earlier in this thread that
Kojima had originally planned for the series to end with Snake and Otacon being arrested and sent to prison.
Well then. Wow.

Guess I missed that earlier in the thread. Thanks.

Klone.K said:

Yeah, I know what Kojima had originally planned for the ending of the MGS4 and I really think they choose that song for the ending very early in development and just decided to keep it anyway when his team protested the shit out of Kojima's original idea

Here's my theory about Love Theme, the track we hear in the E3 2006 trailer( POTENTIAL SPOILERS)

I really think Meryl is gonna bite the bullet in the first chapter of the game thanks to this fucking song. I mean, where else are they gonna use a sad, middle-eastern musical piece? The name is just so perfect for a scene involving Snake witnessing Meryl's untimely demise, and the title of the song is you know, sort of fitting

SolidSnakex said:
the part in MGS3 where the game forces you to pull the trigger to kill The Boss spoiled for him.

that would suck.

That was once of the most
emotional, involving parts of the game

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
SolidSnakex said:
Prick bastards!

i_am_not_jon_ames said:
Can you elaborate on "
" ?

Kojima originally wanted Snake and Otacon to die via execution at the end of MGS4, but his team protested it so he relented and changed it

Klone.K said:
God if this game does everything MGS2 did except BIGGER and BETTER, I will have to quit video games at this pinnacle point of the industry. I never even gave this or any other game the benefit of doubt that it could somehow, by some form of alien force and miraculous genius surpass the opus that was MGS2.

Am I the only one who LIKES the negative reviews? Each 9.5 and lower scores makes me even more excited, because they remind me of the lashback MGS2 recieved and I loved that game...

Damn, I hunger for more lower score reviews and story complaints... Now! Make me feel it! MAKE ME FEEL ALIVE AGAIN!!

Your odd, but got to love your enthusiasm for the insanity of MGS2 and soon to come MGS4.

This seems like it will be the best MGS gameplay wise as well, so I am happy.

MiamiWesker said:
This seems like it will be the best MGS gameplay wise as well, so I am happy.

Several reviews have really praised it for how open they've made the gameplay. Not just for the different play styles you can use, but there are many different routes you can take now to reach your goal.

Klone.K

BlockBastard said:
Yeah, I know what Kojima had originally planned for the ending of the MGS4 and I really think they choose that song for the ending very early in development and just decided to keep it anyway when his team protested the shit out of Kojima's original idea

Here's my theory about Love Theme, the track we hear in the E3 2006 trailer( POTENTIAL SPOILERS)

I really think Meryl is gonna bite the bullet in the first chapter of the game thanks to this fucking song. I mean, where else are they gonna use a sad, middle-eastern musical piece? The name is just so perfect for a scene involving Snake witnessing Meryl's untimely demise, and the title of the song is you know, sort of fitting

Not really any spoilers, but just to be safe...

Didn't either the IGN or Eurogamer comment on Meryl led Foxhound being the scene of much of the games romantic commedy? Somehow that gave me an image of Johnny groping on Meryl, hopelessly pursuing her throughout the game. Maybe his farts and diarreah turn her off?

I remember Ryan pretty much confirming as a reply to IGN`s MGS4 wishlist that there will be no romance between SS and Meryl. Plus the PSM preview made Meryl sound like the ultimate bitch in this game.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
I'll tell you the truth, at that part in MGS3
I thought the game had crashed. :lol Took a while of randomly hitting buttons to figure out what to do. The scene lost some intensity because of that. :(

SolidSnakex said:
Several reviews have really praised it for how open they've made the gameplay. Not just from the different play styles you can use, but there are many different routes you can take now to reach your goal.

MGS3 was already amazing when it came to the sheer amount of options the game gave you to tackle a scenario, and it looks like MGS4 is dead-set leave it in the dust. :D

BlockBastard said:

Don't they play
Love Theme at the beginning of the Middle East scenario?

Klone.K said:
Not really any spoilers, but just to be safe...

Didn't either the IGN or Eurogamer comment on Meryl led Foxhound being the scene of much of the games romantic commedy? Somehow that gave me an image of Johnny groping on Meryl, hopelessly pursuing her throughout the game. Maybe his farts and diarreah turn her off?

I remember Ryan pretty much confirming as a reply to IGN`s MGS4 wishlist that there will be no romance between SS and Meryl. Plus the PSM preview made Meryl sound like the ultimate bitch in this game.

Hm, I haven't been reading reviews in fear of running into game-ruining spoilers, but there are other girls in the game beside Meryl, so the whole romantic comedy thing can still work with her dead, I think. Anyway, I haven't really convinced myself that Meryl is gonna die early in the game, it's just that love theme got me thinking of the possibility

Mamesj

Banned
liquidspeed said:
that would suck.

That was once of the most
emotional, involving parts of the game

The fact that you just
shot her 700 times to get to that cut scene kinda weakened the dramatic impact.

Hopefully the ad campaign for MGS4 starts up next week. The Haze campaign was running a week in advance of its release so there's no reason MGS4 shouldn't get the same treatment.

Holtz

Ephemeris said:
Reading this page is like checking out a classified document :lol
And i ain't reading any of it. Those so tempting black bars. Once the game hits, the entire topic will be filled with them.

MGS4 would have been like the perfect game for viral marketing and all that other crap due to the nature of the story-line. I'm actually surprised that they didn't do anything that involved the The Patriots in their ad-campaign, specially on the internet. Controlling the flow of digital information and all that jazz.

And i ain't reading any of it. Those so tempting black bars. Once the game hits, the entire topic will be filled with them.

it's all just wild speculation, man. It's not like anyone here(except the journalists) know what's actually gonna happen in the game.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
javelin panda reporting for duty SIR

SamuraiX-

Weird. I thought they discontinued the art book. Nice. But it doesn't really look like anything special. It basically looks like a replica of the MGS4 pamphlet from TGS 2007, but now in English.

:D

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Costanza said:
:eek: I'm calling my store tomorrow.

You and me both. I want my artbook.

SamuraiX- said:
Weird. I thought they discontinued the art book. Nice. But it doesn't really look like anything special. It basically looks like a replica of the MGS4 pamphlet from TGS 2007, but now in English.

:D

Its better than nothing.

Frog

Mamesj said:
The fact that you just

No way, it was Snake and the Boss! You gotta fight her with CQC.

Laurent

Sage00 said:
From the IGN UK review:

"But it also recasts the whole story as nothing less than a retelling of the Messiah story, with resurrection, sins of the father and all that (and surely there's something admirable about the bravado – the sheer chutzpah – of recasting something as trifling as an action game as the story of Man)."

..This can't mean... can it?..
Resurrection = Liquid, Solid and Solidus; don't imagine anything else!

LiquidMetal14 said:
I agree.

Darkpen

Banned
Mamesj said:
The fact that you just
not really.

By the time you get to that part of the game, you're bound to have put the controller down in expectation of a very long cutscene, but instead, the letterbox goes away, and you're set infront of something that is unprecedented in games like MGS3. What happens goes against everything you thought of before, and you realize what the game wants you to do. Its shocking, to say the least, and EVA's speech at the end gives it that much more impact.

Mamesj said:
The fact that you just

Seriously, I never got why people could never just overlook what they did during gameplay before a cutscene. Meaning: Why not just pretend you weren't exactly as accurate as a health bar may have you believe. Same goes for those who complain about what happens to your character. Pretend they aren't hitting you... at least in vital organs.

hirokazu

camaroace said:
Someone just pointed this out on a youtube comment about a relation between a certain song
Call me Hal
and the MGS2 spoiler
When Emma dies she tells Hal to call Her Emma and not e.e.
This would link these two scenes together.
NO! You really should've gave us an indication of how spoileriffic the content in your tags could be, as specified in to OP, mate. :/

I hate you for making that link. ;_;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom