• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Yoboman said:
Yeah, I noticed you insert the casual "I want MGS4, really" between your slander. Yet I've never really seen you in any MGS4 threads, but you've been here frequently since Eurogamer gave it an 8 and even moreso in the other MGS4 thread ;)

Well, neither am I and I fullt expect MGS4 to be my favourite game of 2008 - inspite of the rumoured 90 min cutscenes.

Yoboman

ItsInMyVeins said:
Well, neither am I and I fullt expect MGS4 to be my favourite game of 2008 - inspite of the rumoured 90 min cutscenes.
I don't see it becoming your favourite thread when some negatives appear though, so at least you're consistent :)

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Yeah, I noticed you insert the casual "I want MGS4, really" between your slander. Yet I've never really seen you in any MGS4 threads, but you've been here frequently since Eurogamer gave it an 8 and even moreso in the other MGS4 thread ;)

inbetween my 'slander' ? jesus christ, some of you have REAL issues.

I wasn't in any of the MGS4 threads for a reason
I didn't play MGS4 at TGS for a reason
I didn't view the videos at the last TGS for a reason

I don't want any of it spoilt. MGO Beta was the first bit of MGS4 i've seen. I have actively avoided everything i can, i came in here because it's the official thread... though quite why i have to answer to you at all is beyond me.

itsinmyveins

Yoboman said:
I don't see it becoming your favourite thread when some negatives appear though, so at least you're consistent :)

But calling criticism "slander" is a bit much, no? On the other hand, I haven't followed the thread that well, so I don't know what's been said, really :p

Oh, since I never check up on stuff like that; how does the whole MGO-thingy work? A separate game? Downloadable through PSN?

Slamo

DCharlie said:
why i have to answer to you at all is beyond me.

History. You're... predictable.

ItsInMyVeins said:
Oh, since I never check up on stuff like that; how does the whole MGO-thingy work? A separate game? Downloadable through PSN?

Starter pack is included in MGS4.

bigswords

ItsInMyVeins said:
But calling criticism "slander" is a bit much, no? On the other hand, I haven't followed the thread that well, so I don't know what's been said, really.

You get a basic version of the game with MGS4, but I'm not sure whether that is region locked though.

Rainy Dog

I chuckled at DCharlies (and Seikens for that matter) 'translations' too. But please...lets keep that stuff in the other thread.

My final word on these reviews before I play the game is that they all appear to be as pointless as each other at this stage. Whether its because of NDA's or whatever, its either silly hyperbole thats hard to even take seriously. Or clearly the opinion of someone who was never taken by Kojima's acquired approach all along and therefore the criticisms mean nothing to someone like me who loves the series because of those caveats. Well, except for some of the newly introduced features
such as installs ;)

Yoboman

DCharlie said:
inbetween my 'slander' ? jesus christ, some of you have REAL issues.

I wasn't in any of the MGS4 threads for a reason
I didn't play MGS4 at TGS for a reason
I didn't view the videos at the last TGS for a reason

I don't want any of it spoilt. MGO Beta was the first bit of MGS4 i've seen. I have actively avoided everything i can, i came in here because it's the official thread... though quite why i have to answer to you at all is beyond me.
You don't have to answer, I'm just observing. You seem more interested in MGS reviews than MGS. I don't think you even commented on the OP in this thread, even though you came in here because it's the Official one :)

Joe211

Seiken said:
PICT0326.JPG

:D

doko made itta? to wadai ni naru gemu

nakunatta no ka?

itsinmyveins

I'm still think about that damn Limited Edition-thing, and whether it's worth buying or not. I mean, it costs twice as much as the ordinary edition (at least in the store where I've got it pre-ordered) :/

Blablurn

ItsInMyVeins said:
I'm still think about that damn Limited Edition-thing, and whether it's worth buying or not. I mean, it costs twice as much as the ordinary edition (at least in the store where I've got it pre-ordered) :/

DO IT! It's MGS4!

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
You don't have to answer, I'm just observing. You seem more interested in MGS reviews than MGS. I don't think you even commented on the OP in this thread, even though you came in here because it's the Official one :)

so wait, i had to add ANOTHER "OMG OP OF THE FOREVER" further filling the official thread with 40+ pages of praise and not information?

sorry, i missed on that rule :

Amazing first post, fantastic effort - we don't deserve your time.

Yoboman

DCharlie said:
so wait, i had to add ANOTHER "OMG OP OF THE FOREVER" further filling the official thread with 40+ pages of praise and not information?

sorry, i missed on that rule :

Amazing first post, fantastic effort - we don't deserve your time.
Not necessarily, but when your first MGS post in awhile due to avoiding spoilers is to advocate the first less than stellar MGS4 review adamantly, you have to wonder where your interests lie

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
What the hell happened?

Darkpen

Banned
shagg_187 said:
Well, you never know cause sometimes certain Gamestop/EBGames employee just babble random shit when they are confused/trying_to_be_badass.

My last week encounter. Friday, 8:45PM:

Me: Hi, i need to cancel my preorder. My phone number is ***-***-****.
Employee 1: Metal Gear Solid 4? Any reason for cancellation?

Me: Yeah. I'm going to NYC to get it signed by Hideo Kojima!
Employee 1: Oh Cool!
Employee 2: *whispers to employee 1* Who's Hideo Kojima?

Employee 1: Do you have a piece of ID?
Me: Yes, I do. Here you go.

Employee 1: Hmm.. From the looks of it, you have paid full money for the game. Do you have reciept?
Me: Actually No. I pre-ordered 2 copies of GTA4 and 1 copy of MGS4 on March 20th via Credit Card and my reciept was taken from me when i picked up the copies of GTA4

Employee 2: Well, I'm sorry but we can only provide you store credit.
Me: But i need my money. I know the exact time and date on when i paid it. I'm pretty sure everything is in your record. I even have the credit card through which i paid it, and i can also bring my Bank Statement to prove it.

Employee 1: I'm sorry but i can't do anything.
Me: Are you serious? Can i talk to the manager by any chance to confirm this policy?

Employee 1: Sorry, the manager isn't here.
Me: ....

Employee 2: You can try calling customer service. They will help you.
Me: (I'm already here! Why should i call customer service!?) Sure. What's the number?​

I take the number and leave the store while dialing them. Customer service puts me on a 10 minute hold to a MIDI version of "Legend of Zelda" theme.

Friday: 9:00PM:

EB Rep: EB Games Customer Service. How may i help you?
Me: Hi, I preordered MGS4 few months ago and i want to cancel my preorder but the employees at the store can only provide me store credit. I asked for my money back and they hit me with your phone number.

EB Rep: Sir, there is nothing we can do cause we can't see your record. You have to talk to the employees at the store.
Me: But the store is closed. What do you want me to do?

EB Rep: Well... As i said, i can't help you. Is there anything else i can do for you?
Me: No. Thanks. Have a good night!​

Tuesday: 4:00PM:

Me: Hi. I was here last week and i wanted to get my preorder canceled but the employee working at that time said i can only get store credit for i don't have my reciept on me. Here's the credit card statement to show the transaction exchange.
Employee 1: Do you have piece of ID?

Me: Yes. Here you go.
Employee 1: Well... that's all you need!

Me: ...
Employee 1: Can i have your credit card?

Me: Sure.
Employee 1: *swipes the card. Transaction Approved* Just sign here and here. Why are you cancelling the preorder btw?

Me: Cause I'm getting it signed by Hideo Kojima at NYC on June 11th.
Employee 1: Really?!! Nice!! *talks to the other employee* Hey! I'm taking next week off!! Hideo Kojima is coming to NYC!

Employee 2: Who?​
oh lawd, typical gamestop employees. You should've gotten their names.

2real4tv

"I take the number and leave the store while dialing them. Customer service puts me on a 10 minute hold to a MIDI version of "Legend of Zelda" theme."

Now I can't get this out of my head..its constantly repeating:lol

Darkpen

Banned
oh shit, have we known about this?

People may think the GoW2 piece is the highlight of this issue, but it's not -- even though Shoe goes above and beyong, asking Cliffy about a million questions from message-board posters and presenting the usual boring "new guns, new modes" information in neat and eye-catching ways.

It's not the Metal Gear Solid 4 "review," although that's generating the most discussion online -- the editors decided against giving out scores due to "the limitations Konami wanted to impose on our comments," so they just printed a five-page roundtable instead, one mostly filled with praise but also throwing a few jabs (the control system's not as good as Splinter Cell's! Oh noooooo!). It's not even the "Gun Show" spread, where they ask military advisor Hank Keirsey for his take on the Gunblade, the Gravity Gun and other fanciful video-game weapons -- hilarious stuff.

No, the highlight of this issue is the frowny-faced Miis used to illustrate the front-end investigation piece on Nintendo's lackadaisical online strategy. Miis using telegraphs, cans and strings, and a cell phone tied to a headband to communicate with each other. Absolutely tremendous.

http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2008/06/column_game_mag_weaseling_mag_46.php

originally saw on Kotaku.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah we have. I think the reason they didn't publish a full review is because they want to talk about things after the first act and but can't thanks to NDAs.

eso76

ItsInMyVeins said:
I asked about that earlier on this page, and yes – there's been some discussion about that. Antiloop posted a link to that thread somewhere on this page.

on this topic, i don't understand why anyone would think not allowing reviewers to mention cutscenes lenght has anything to do with censorship. While Konami certainly has 'commercial' reasons for not wanting to mention install times etc. cutscenes lenght is probably something Kojima didn't want to spoil the audience about, kind of like journalists were asked not to mention Raiden in MGS2 reviews.

DCharlie said:
PSME cleared things up, but the original charge shows just how stir crazy MGS4 is making people.
The extension that MGS4 wasn't sent to PSME so wasn't sent to Edge and Eurogamer showed they had faked their scores/reviews - but not the 10/10 ones - they must have gotten their copies or something..... bananas logic.

If you can't see the funny side... :/ (MGS4 - SERUZ BASNASS)

Anyways, it actually says :

"aren't there anymore games where you ask "how far have you gotten" ?"

(i'm not answering that one, i might get stoned!)
Actually, only 1st party magazines (OPM) got review copies of the game, the rest only played it on Konami events.

Ynos Yrros said:
Actually, only 1st party magazines (OPM) got review copies of the game, the rest only played it on Konami events.

That doesn't match what the MGS.org site admin said

Anyone claiming to have received an advance review copy of MGS4 is either lying or has stolen a copy from the shipments currently going out to retailers. I spoke with Ryan Payton recently about this in some length and according to him, because of the high profile of this title, not even members of the press are being given review copies.

http://www.metalgearsolid.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=28274

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
To be fair it is just an ad. I don't think any magazine publisher would get too pissed off at that.

Doc Evils

I just got back from HMV in London. FUCK I AM BITTER.

I came early to oxford street, but I thought to my self I would get my self breakfast at Mcdonalds because Gaf and Moron analyists told me MGS4 appeals to a ' small amount of people' so I didn't expect people to be there, how fucking wrong.

I got there 9.45am after having my breakfast and there was 300 people waiting. I was 310th, and there was another 100 people behind me so about 400 people turned up.

Apparantley the guy working there told me that people were camping out 24 hours BEFORE.

FUCK FUCK FUCK . I AM BITTER.

itsinmyveins

eso76 said:
on this topic, i don't understand why anyone would think not allowing reviewers to mention cutscenes lenght has anything to do with censorship. While Konami certainly has 'commercial' reasons for not wanting to mention install times etc. cutscenes lenght is probably something Kojima didn't want to spoil the audience about, kind of like journalists were asked not to mention Raiden in MGS2 reviews.

Mentioning that the cutscenes are ridiculously long hardly constitutes as spoilers, though. I think it's a bullshit move by Konami.

BeeDog

Doc Evils said:

I came early to oxford street, but I thought to my self I would get my self breakfast at Mcdonalds because Gaf and Moron analyists told me MGS4 appeals to a ' small amount of people' so I didn't expect people to be there, how fucking wrong.

I got there 9.45am after having my breakfast and there was 300 people waiting. I was 310th, and there was another 100 people behind me so about 400 people turned up.

Apparantley the guy working there told me that people were camping out 24 hours BEFORE.

Oh snap. o_O

Yoboman

Doc Evils said:

Yeah dude, MGS is a niche game, it has no appeal. MGS3 only sold a weaksauce 4 million. Really, only complete losers buy it

Darkpen

Banned
FabCam said:
I thought Konami didn't send 1UP games anyway?
EGM = 1up, therefore print publication gets to review, and 1up gets it anyways.

I wonder what's gonna happen. I guess there won't be anything holding them back for after the game's released.

and yes, they did get review copies

Darkpen

Banned
Ynos Yrros said:
Or that. So basically they are reviewing the game on what they believe it was?
Its confusing. EGM definitely got review copies, and I somehow doubt this is another case of something like Maxim making a fake review based on what they think the game's like.

Ynos Yrros said:
Or that. So basically they are reviewing the game on what they believe it was?

Well I doubt Konami's going to let them review the game if they didn't feel confident in its quality at the time.

Darkpen said:
Its confusing. EGM definitely got review copies, and I somehow doubt this is another case of something like Maxim making a fake review based on what they think the game's like.
They played the game. However, if they wrote their reviews out of their minds then it's pretty big. What is to say that the cut scenes didn't feel like they were 90 minutes long to some people? Or that boss fights weren't as memorable after a rush session?

zoukka

I smell a shitstorm. And some review-sites and mags need a good crackdown to see what the fuck is going on.

Videogame journalism has always been pretty sad but this is something else...

Doc Evils

On a postive note, (IM STILL BITTER) There is MGS4 fever around London, I saw loads of people pre-ordering MGS4 and the hype is just starting. woot woot.

Doc Evils said:

Damn, did you at least take pics?

zoukka said:
I smell a shitstorm. And some review-sites and mags need a good crackdown to see what the fuck is going on.

Videogame journalism has always been pretty sad but this is something else...
Considering that the game is about 30 hours long, I doubt that it's easy to remember most of it after a rushed session, and then writing a review out of those memories.

Yeah, this is big.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom