• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection Vita |OT| Snake in your pants!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Finally did it too. Geez, those Metal Gears.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
How????

This is bullshit. I'm playing normal and there are way more than six Rays to fight. How the hell did I beat this fight 6 years ago?

Yeah the numbers could be indeed a bit off here. I had around 8 I believe on normal.

And I keep asking myself the same question...I am pretty sure I beat the game on hard, but 12 of those? Holy crap.

Also, I just noticed yesterday that rations spawn in the middle of the platform. That was VERY helpful.

Well beat it, phew. That Ray fight(s) was rage inducing. That said, I didn't enjoy MGS2 as much as I did when it first released. Tanker section is the better part of the game, but all the plot twists and crazy breaking the 4 th wall stuff wasn't as mind blowing when you know what's coming.

Gonna take a break and play Gravity Daze, then I'll tackle MGS3 which remains as one if my top 5 fave games.

Toma

Well beat it, phew. That Ray fight(s) was rage inducing. That said, I didn't enjoy MGS2 as much as I did when it first released. Tanker section is the better part of the game, but all the plot twists and crazy breaking the 4 th wall stuff wasn't as mind blowing when you know what's coming.

Gonna take a break and play Gravity Daze, then I'll tackle MGS3 which remains as one if my top 5 fave games.

Congrats to you too :) Well, I'd say thats a rather fair assessment but I have a soft spot for the VR missions and dog tags. MGS2 will still keep me busy for a while :p

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Beat MGS2. Loved it, but diizzam the sniping stuff doesn't work on Vita. Also, the subqhd is kinda more evident on MGS2 given the sparseness of the environments and how angular everything is.

MGS3 looks :O

Eusis

MGS2 and 3 at least seem to be the closest to qHD of sub-qHD Vita games. It bugged me a lot in Hot Shots, and it was definitely noticeable in Uncharted and Gravity Rush, but MGS2 looks mostly sharp, and some details seem to be pixel perfect like the green outline in the codec screen. Still, seeing MGS3 made me go "more PS2 games need to come to the Vita."

This has probably been covered- but is this the version of MGS3 where you can switch to the 'behind the back' Splinter Cell-style camera?

Eusis

This has probably been covered- but is this the version of MGS3 where you can switch to the 'behind the back' Splinter Cell-style camera?
Correct, though you can toggle in the options. You used to be able to do that by pressing in the R Stick, but that obviously can't be done here.

what are the touch controls exactly for MGS2? the manual makes sense but I cant seem to get it to function right.... mainly when i'm trying to kiss the lockers :p

Branson

what are the touch controls exactly for MGS2? the manual makes sense but I cant seem to get it to function right.... mainly when i'm trying to kiss the lockers :p
You have to actually put your lips on the Vita's screen.

But yeah I've had trouble with that too. It's a bit unreliable for some reason.

You have to actually put your lips on the Vita's screen.

God I just had a image of some whacky Japan game having you do that....sure its just a matter of time.

Had this since day1 and havent played yet. I got a few trophies I wanna clean up before attempting these platinums as I hear they are pretty ridiculous. Kinda getting itchy though following thread

can someone clarify -

.if i were to patch my MGS3 game on PS3 and then save it post-1.03, can i then transfarr to the vita and still be able to earn trophies on that same save?

much obliged

sikkinixx

Beat MGS2. Last boss encounter made me rage but got through it. A lot shorter than I remember it. With a lot worse dialog than I remember "metal gear...?" "nuclear warhead...?" "The patriots...?"

Still awesome. Amazing to play it on a portable.

Eusis

I seem to reliably do it by touching the bottom right corner of the screen, may have to keep pressing to find the sweet spot though. Don't think the manual explained that, I'll have to look at it again.

SRTtoZ

Finally about an hour into the plant level and the controls are second nature. At first they were a bit brutal but now I can do everything pretty quickly. I absolutely love this game. I cant wait to beat 2 and play MGS3 which I never played back in the day.

can someone clarify -

.if i were to patch my MGS3 game on PS3 and then save it post-1.03, can i then transfarr to the vita and still be able to earn trophies on that same save?

much obliged

you can't.

edit: wait, when you mean save it post 1.03, do you mean starting a new game, or continuing your save data from before the patch? basically, any save data prior to patch will disable trophies when transfaring. you'll know if you can still get trophies if the game didn't warn you about disabled trophies when you try to link your save data to the cloud

you can't.

edit: wait, when you mean save it post 1.03, do you mean starting a new game, or continuing your save data from before the patch? basically, any save data prior to patch will disable trophies when transfaring. you'll know if you can still get trophies if the game didn't warn you about disabled trophies when you try to link your save data to the cloud

thank you for clarifying

i was referring to if i had a MGS3 PS3 game save where i was trying to get platinum BEFORE 1.03 patch.....if i patch the game, continue the saved game and then save it again, you are saying i still cant transfar it to my vita and continue to earn trophies? what a bummer....

thanks anyways

Eusis

While I'm pretty firmly anti-trophies/achievements, that OCD part of me makes me glad I skipped straight to the Vita version for that.

Then again, that anti-trophy part is ALSO served because by doing this I can disable notifications on the Vita, earn most of the ones I'd likely get through casual play, Transfar over, and earn them instantly so I don't see them in PS3 play either unless I did something special.

Koroviev

While I'm pretty firmly anti-trophies/achievements, that OCD part of me makes me glad I skipped straight to the Vita version for that.

Then again, that anti-trophy part is ALSO served because by doing this I can disable notifications on the Vita, earn most of the ones I'd likely get through casual play, Transfar over, and earn them instantly so I don't see them in PS3 play either unless I did something special.

Trophies don't really bother me. I just think of them as a sort suggestion guide for what you can do in the game.

Toma

Some of those VR missions are just brutal. Raiden (normal) Variety mission 2 took me 90 minutes yesterday to figure out the right path and execute it properly for the highscore. And now I am stuck on a SNIPING mission with seemingly THOUSANDS of soldiers, of all things. God damn.

...so how do you actually kiss the poster?

In the end I was "pinching" the corners of the screen to get it to work. "Touching the screen on the same point on the frontscreen and backpad."

I didnt care on ps3 games as well, but the MGS2 trophies I liked because they had imaginative and funny names and often corresponded to either ingame secrets or easter eggs that you otherwise might have missed if you didnt look for them. I thought that was a rather neat touch.

Toma

Is it just me or was that inner fight of Rose totally unpredictable! The struggle between her motives and the resulting endfight was totally amazing and inspiring!

35xLH.jpg

Same with Otacons transformation into the boss villain :-o

lol, How did I miss this feature in the PS2 release? Way too fun.

Grisby

^^^^^^^ How do you do that?

I beat MGS2 last night. It was an interesting experience going through it again. I was hoping time and a second playthrough would change my opinion on MGS2 but man, there's still a lot of shit in it. Strangely enough the interactions between Raiden and Rose, which didn't bother me the first time around, grew increasingly annoying here. On the other side, Liquid being in Ocelots arm is a lot more easier to accept now then when I played the game back when.

Gameplay is a lot better too. I'm really enjoying the simple down to gameplay basics of the VR missions again. I didn't care for the big shell as it just felt too samey after a while and grew boring compared to MGS1's environments.

But man, what a pretty game. Even more so becuase of the Vita screen.

Is it just me or was that inner fight of Rose totally unpredictable! The struggle between her motives and the resulting endfight was totally amazing and inspiring!

Same with Otacons transformation into the boss villain :-o

lol, How did I miss this feature in the PS2 release? Way too fun.

Wait. WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS STUFF?

Toma

^^^^^^^ How do you do that

Wait. WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS STUFF

Haha, I figured I was not the only one completely missing it :p
Extras and then Casting Theater. Its unlocked after beating the game once on any difficulty.
Lets you screw around with 7 or 8 cinematics and swap the roles. Too damn funny :D

Amazing how much stuff is in this game.
1. A 10-15 hour game with 6 difficulties that do alter something on top of only increased HP (raised awareness, more enemies), plus added replayability with extra unlockable items.
2. 7 different sets of VR missions that will take dozens of hours to clear on perfect with great variety
3. Boss rush
4. Casting theater
5. Snake tales (5 challenging extra missions)
6. Video tutorials
7. Backstory on all the previous games

I wish MGS4 had this much content :(

Toma

I wish MGS4 wasn't a technical nightmare. The long load times and lengthy Act installs have put me off from replaying it for years.

They really should have patched in the ability to install the whole game. No clue why they didnt.

Load times didnt bother me as much, but there simply wasnt much to do anyway, so not sure why I would want to replay it.

Edit: MGS4 engine VR missions spinoff on Vita please.

Glix

I wish MGS4 wasn't a technical nightmare. The long load times and lengthy Act installs have put me off from replaying it for years.

They should port it with this engine, I want to replay it so badly now. Also, they should make it so I can my digital MGS1 on my Vita.

Yeah, the casting theatre is awesome, one of the many things I loved about Substance back in the day. Still need to pick up the HD collection one of the days. Got Substance again and Subsistence on PS2, shame they look so damn jaggy on HDTVs.

One thing that annoys me is that, having played the shit out of both games years ago, it kinda sucks that when I play them again a long while after, I still remember virtually everything about them, so nothing really surprises me anymore. Far better games than MGS4, though. My view of that one kinda worsens over the years.

Haha, I figured I was not the only one completely missing it :p
Extras and then Casting Theater. Its unlocked after beating the game once on any difficulty.
Lets you screw around with 7 or 8 cinematics and swap the roles. Too damn funny :D

Amazing how much stuff is in this game.
1. A 10-15 hour game with 5 difficulties that do alter something on top of only increased HP (raised awareness, more enemies), plus added replayability with extra unlockable items.
2. 7 different sets of VR missions that will take dozens of hours to clear on perfect with great variety
3. Boss rush
4. Casting theater
5. Snake tales (5 challenging extra missions)
6. Video tutorials
7. Backstory on all the previous games

I wish MGS4 had this much content :(

7? No. There's one set of VR Missions and 7 different difficulty settings. That's why that part sucks so much, because it's so god damn repetitive. MGS1 VR Missions was worlds better and yet they still haven't bothered to re-release it on PSN.

Oh and they couldn't install the entirety of MGS4 onto the HDD because Sony doesn't let anyone have installs bigger than 5GB. I think they may have relaxed those rules a little bit since then though.

Toma

One thing that annoys me is that, having played the shit out of both games years ago, it kinda sucks that when I play them again a long while after, I still remember virtually everything about them, so nothing really surprises me anymore. Far better games than MGS4, though. My view of that one kinda worsens over the years.

I played it quite a bit back then too, but somehow I forgot quite a bit. I completely forgot how the fight against vamp looked like/needed to be fought. I completely forgot the MG Ray fight too and a few smaller things. Forgot most of the VR missions, too and I never finished the Snake tales. God, I LOVE this HD collection :)

Toma

7? No. There's one set of VR Missions and 7 different difficulty settings. That's why that part sucks so much, because it's so god damn repetitive. MGS1 VR Missions was worlds better and yet they still haven't bothered to re-release it on PSN.

Oh and they couldn't install the entirety of MGS4 onto the HDD because Sony doesn't let anyone have installs bigger than 5GB. I think they may have relaxed those rules a little bit since then though.

True, the MGS1 VR missions were great (The detective ones were so amazing), but the MGS2 ones have good variety too. And if you call it 7 smaller sets of VR missions (Raiden, Raiden
Ninja
, Snake...) or one HUGE pool of VR missions doesnt make that much of a difference.

I also wouldnt call the VR missions repetitive overall. I think that even the ones in the same category offer some variety in how you need to approach them or which items to use.

And it still has some wacky missions too:

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.

They must've definitely relaxed those rules since GT5 uses quite a lot (isn't it around 13gb?) and plus the full retail games you can download off PSN now including freebies like DC Universe which clocks in at close to 20gb.

Toma

Oh god, holy crap. Normal Raidens variety mission level 7 (Zako Survival). Sadist programmers, all of them T_T

THREE (alright 2 waves and a single dude) waves of enemies, plus a 6 minute boss fight with only 3 rations? UGH

Congrats! Now conquer european extreme :p Still need to finish mine on normal. Will give it another try in a few minutes.

Just beat mine on Euro Extreme. Got infinity face paint too... beat The Boss CQC only. Too good.

Anyway... I got all these extra camos now... like the ones you can download for the original... but a lot more of them now... I'll upload some pictures when I get home.

But yeah, does anyone have a list of what they all do? The mummy one is get no injuries I think... Grenade is infinite nades..., santa.. just is santa.

True, the MGS1 VR missions were great (The detective ones were so amazing), but the MGS2 ones have good variety too. And if you call it 7 smaller sets of VR missions (Raiden, Raiden
Ninja
, Snake...) or one HUGE pool of VR missions doesnt make that much of a difference.

I also wouldnt call the VR missions repetitive overall. I think that even the ones in the same category offer some variety in how you need to approach them or which items to use.

Are you kidding? No way. They're not one huge pool of VR Missions, they're one set of VR Missions with 7 difficulty settings (Raiden, Snake, MGS1 Snake, etc). From super incredibly easy (Raiden) to hard (MGS1 Snake). There are very very few missions that are actually unique to just one character, most of them are only differentiated by the equipment loadout. And I say this having finished them all twice and about to start my third. They're mind numbingly repetitive and boring.

They must've definitely relaxed those rules since GT5 uses quite a lot (isn't it around 13gb?) and plus the full retail games you can download off PSN now including freebies like DC Universe which clocks in at close to 20gb.

Yeah, I think they've changed them so bigger installs are allowed but only if the user opts into them. Though I think they also let games with DLC pack-ins (like all the Ultimate/GOTY Editions) go over the limit as well, which is understandable.

george_us

Metal Gear Solid 2 is still amazing 12 years later. Astonishing attention to detail and the cutscenes and dialog are all top notch. Truly from an era when AAA titles strove to be something more than disposable blockbusters.

Top Bottom