• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

Ishida

Banned
No Hayter. I'm sorry but this is really a big deal. It's not about resisting change but Hayter's voice has that espionage sound to it. Kiefer doesn't and sounds average.

Pretty much this. The issue is that Kiefer just sounds too generic, and too boring. Hayter has a very distinctive voice that actually made a huge part of the Snake character outside of Japan. He is over the top and cartoonish, just like the series. Everyone else is still using their characteristic voices, like Huey for example. Kiefer just sounds too out of place.

To me, changing Hayter's voice was like changing Duke Nukem's voice to make him sound like James Franco.

Gui_PT

I couldn't agree more. Kiefer makes Snake sound like a professional doing his job. Hayter's post-MGS2 Snake sounded naive and clueless, if not downright dumb.

Yep, I noticed that playing last time. Very nuanced but it works well. I also like when
he yells "Dammit we were set up!" in the chopper and Sutherland voices it like he's mainly mad at himself.

Could just be me though.

Yeah it's those little details that make the difference.

Is there anywhere with actual Xbox 360 footage of the game? I'm thinking of buying, but I can't find any footage other than the graphics comparison trailer. For those playing on the 360, how is it?

I usually don't care about graphics but it looks great despite a few problems.
Draw distance is ridiculously short. You'll see bushes and rocks constantly appearing out of thin air. Same with guards when you zoom in with the binoculars.

Shadows look pretty bad at times.

In general I'd say it looks great. No framerate issues in my experience. But again, I rarely care about these things.

E: Kiefer sounds generic?

DYLANH24

Neo Member
Is there anywhere with actual Xbox 360 footage of the game? I'm thinking of buying, but I can't find any footage other than the graphics comparison trailer. For those playing on the 360, how is it?

It holds up fine, you can see the frame rate not looking smooth in the opening cutscene and the draw distance is kinda shit when you're running, and the shadows in daytime are kinda horrid but the everything else looks great.

jett

D-Member
Kiefer sounds fine in the few lines he has.

I've been against David Hayter for a long while and welcomed the change with open arms. But...in the last few days I've played every single MGS game for a couple of hours each, and I've surprised myself in realizing that in a certain manner I will miss his ridiculous and over the top voice...to a point, that is. :p I mean, it got progressively worse over the years until it became a parody of itself, but it has been part of Metal Gear for a long while, and you can't help but associate it with the franchise as a whole.

I look forward to hearing more of Kiefer's work, I can only imagine from an objective point of view that he'll be a vast improvement.

Speaking of voice acting, the horrible Latin American accents in Peace Walker are seriously grating. Paz's actress still has no idea how to pronounce Spanish words in GZ, but at least they don't mix in random Spanish words anymore. That's such a horrible cliché. As a whole the VA in GZ really is much better and more believable than in previous games. PW sounds like a badly dubbed anime in comparison. Props to Robin Atkin Dowes, he delivers his lines in the Deja Vu mission perfectly.

cackhyena

Is it weird that the tension mixed with the day time making you easier to spot has me liking the destroy the AA mission the most at the moment? It's weird.

SJRB

Gold Member
Is it weird that the tension mixed with the day time making you easier to spot has me liking the destroy the AA mission the most at the moment? It's weird.

The neverending alarm drives me insane though. I love the concept of the mission but good lord does it get annoying. Even shutting down the power to the admin building doesn't help.

Ishida

Banned
Kiefer sounds fine in the few lines he has.

I've been against David Hayter for a long while and welcomed the change with open arms. But...in the last few days I've played every single MGS game for a couple of hours each, and I've surprised myself in realizing that in a certain manner I will miss his ridiculous and over the top voice...to a point, that is. :p I mean, it got progressively worse over the years until it became a parody of itself, but it has been part of Metal Gear for a long while, and you can't help but associate it with the franchise as a whole.

I look forward to hearing more of Kiefer's work, I can only imagine from an objective point of view that he'll be a vast improvement.

Speaking of voice acting, the horrible Latin American accents in Peace Walker are seriously grating. Paz's actress still has no idea how to pronounce Spanish words in GZ, but at least they don't mix in random Spanish words anymore. That's such a horrible cliché. As a whole the VA in GZ really is much better and more believable than in previous games. PW sounds like a badly dubbed anime in comparison. Props to Robin Atkin Dowes, he delivers his lines in the Deja Vu mission perfectly.

I love Tara Strong's voice work across her career, but she was terrible as Paz. Being a Latin American myself, I've always wondered why they don't hire REAL Latin Americans to play such characters.

I mean, I understand that Paz was a spy, but even in her secret diaries she speaks with the Latin American accent, which means that was her native accent. Hearing Amanda and Chico trying to pronounce spanish words was cringe worthy. "El Chicolibri"? No sane spanish speaker would ever use such word to refer to a "small humming bird".

So even these "Latin American" characters come off as extremely foreign for native spanish speakers

Hubble

Add to that the change in codec use, lack of cardboard box, and inability to pick up Claymores by crawling over them (in my experience), and that is my list of why GZ felt more like a Splinter Cell title than a metal Gear Solid game, sadly.

Pretty much how I feel. The game doesn't feel MGSish and is pretty bad if you remove Metal Gear Solid from the title but to each his own. The game relies too much on audio tapes too to tell the story.

jett

D-Member
I love Tara Strong's voice work across her career, but she was terrible as Paz. Being a Latin American myself, I've always wondered why they don't hire REAL Latin Americans to play such characters.

I mean, I understand that Paz was a spy, but even in her secret diaries she speaks with the Latin American accent, which means that was her native accent. Hearing Amanda and Chico trying to pronounce spanish words was cringe worthy. "El Chicolibri"? No sane spanish speaker would ever use such word to refer to a "small humming bird".

So even these "Latin American" characters come off as extremely foreign for native spanish speakers

I have a feeling the VA director is as unfamiliar with Spanish as the actors themselves. :p

SMZC

Pretty much how I feel. The game doesn't feel MGSish and is pretty bad if you remove Metal Gear Solid from the title but to each his own. The game relies too much on audio tapes too to tell the story.

"Pretty bad"? Seriously?

I must note, I find it contradictory that your number one complaint is that MGSV doesn't feel like an MGS game, while stating at the same time that people like it solely because of the series it belongs to.

As for the cardboard box, it's removal was necessary. With so many open areas unsafe for sneaking, having an item that allows you to pass undetected anywhere, anytime, would have been overpowered and game breaking. Tradition for the sake of tradition is no good if it gets in the way of what really matters.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
I can't connect the iDroid app, I keep getting "unable to find file/page" with Error Code 4002.

Anyone else run into this?

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

No kidding. I've grown used to seeing games and movies not accurately portraying Latin America but accurately portraying what they think it looks like. Pretty damn stupid.

At least they didn't use Mexican actors for all their spanish voices like Naughty Dog did with Uncharted 3, although there barely was any Spanish in the game.

jett

D-Member
Just noticed that environment lights are color-coded: yellow lights can be shot, blue lights cannot. One thing that's going to make TPP a weird experience is that I've already exploited almost every intricacy in this game. :p

"Pretty bad"? Seriously?

I must note, I find it contradictory that your number one complaint is that MGSV doesn't feel like an MGS game, while stating at the same time that people like it solely because of the series it belongs to.

As for the cardboard box, it's removal was necessary. With so many open areas unsafe for sneaking, having an item that allows you to pass undetected anywhere, anytime, would have been overpowered and game breaking. Tradition for the sake of tradition is no good if it gets in the way of what really matters.

Agreed, the cardboard box has no place in Ground Zeroes.

atr0cious

I was showing my roommate GZ, who is a fan of MGS but never got a PS3, and he was blown away by it. So I run through, start to almost finish of the main mission, and he's like "wow, I can't wait for this, so glad they're giving you a demo to mess around." And I'm like, "I got this used, but it's $30 new." And he starts laughing, gets up, and walks out the room.

I really don't know how I feel about the game. I love it, but that's only because Metal Gear is my bag. I know it's selling alright, but I think the choice to charge so much is gonna bite them in the ass a little. Not to mention I don't trust anyone else to put as much effort into it.

Ishida

Banned
"Pretty bad"? Seriously?

The cardboard box is far, FAR from being an item that "let's you pass undetected anywhere, anytime". In fact, most of the time the soldiers can look right through the disguise, unless you are extremely well-hidden, or set yourself besides more boxes.

Try using a cardboard box on the heliport of the original MGS and see what happens ;)

I agree with him in that no cardboard box feels weird and off-putting on a Metal Gear game. It better be on The Phantom Pain.

-Deimos

The box isn't some magical fix-all solution to sneaking. You can't just equip it in the middle of nowhere and expect guards not to investigate.

Ishida

Banned
The box isn't some magical fix-all solution to sneaking. You can't just equip it in the middle of nowhere and expect guards not to investigate.

This. Putting the box on in 99% of the areas, will get you an instant "What's this box?" from the guards. And a free alert.

cackhyena

So it's useless. You'll get the goofy extra back in the main game. Doesn't belong in here, although I guess they could have thrown it in déjà vu.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Wow Deja Vu mission is legit fan service.
I lost the MGS Quiz so i got to try again

Bring the Phantom Pain Kojigod!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Er-Only if you don't move is the cardboard box worthwhile. If you're moving or set it in a place that isn't angled right, the AI in previous titles would check the area.

I don't see how tightening the AI in other areas but not "this box is out of place since it isn't the right warehouse/area or corner" wouldn't have been able to be done in questioning boxes.

Hubble

"Pretty bad"? Seriously?

That is not contradictory at all and not related. I've said I believe people like the game solely more because of its association to the Metal Gear name and not by its merit, because really, it is missing a ton of MGS magic of what makes a MGS game.

All you do is run around and move bodies most of the game with the delivery of shock audio tapes to mostly tell its story is a weak cop out. I would much rather have the long cutscenes the series is known for, which I loved. If this same game was released but titled Splinter Cell Ground Zeroes, I find it hard to imagine it would get high praise.

I never brought up the necessity of a cardboard box, but that the game as a whole lacks MUCH of the MGS characteristics and the feel; no MGS magic. Another poster brought up the cardboard box. The cardboard box however, is only one example out of many of missing MGS elements. I'm concerned the series is moving into a new western direction that may be straying away from its heart; the death of Hayter.

Rogue Agent said:
I liked that tone of annoyance in his voice.

Same here. While I see complaints of it, I liked it and thought it fit well. The annoyed tone in his voice was usually at an offbeat codec conversation or a moment that suited it plus it was just another quirky thing that MGS was known to have. MGS is known for quirky things and this preview isn't.

One thing that made me appreciate Kiefer's work more than Hayter's was in the cutscene where
BB puts Chico to sleep and tells Kaz that Paz isn't in her cell.

Kaz asks "Are you sure?"
And BB answers "Pretty sure" in a certain way as if he were saying "Yeah I'm sure you idiot, I'm looking at her cell right now"

If Hayter had said that line the result would've been a simple "Pretty suuuuuuuure"

Spoilerededed it just in case

I actually liked his voice when
he was calling out for Chico in his cage, sounded pretty good to me.

I'm actually now (after hearing him in-game myself) somewhat satisfied with Big Boss being voiced by someone else but Hayter should be Solid Snake.

I'm still believing Kojima-san is still contriving something and Hayter is involved but all hush-hush

SMZC

That is not contradictory at all and not related. I've said I believe people like the game solely more because of its association to the Metal Gear name and not by its merit, because really, it is missing a ton of MGS magic of what makes a MGS game.

I get that you don't like the game, you have your reasons for that. But there's no need to make assumptions like that about why others hold a different opinion. If MGSV lacked such integral components of the MGS series and people liked it solely because of the MGS name, then you would at the very least see the same people claiming that MGSV isn't on par with previous games of the series. Instead, people are claiming left and right that this the ultimate Metal Gear game, at least in terms of gameplay.

The cardboard box is far, FAR from being an item that "let's you pass undetected anywhere, anytime". In fact, most of the time the soldiers can look right through the disguise, unless you are extremely well-hidden, or set yourself besides more boxes.

Try using a cardboard box on the heliport of the original MGS and see what happens ;)

I never made a habit out of using the box in the old games, but if memory doesn't fail me, I'm pretty sure that as long as you stayed out of the soldiers' patrol routes, you remained 100% undetected almost anywhere (save for MGS3, if you were outdoors).

In any case, someone has provided a link about the box returning for TPP. I just hope it's balanced properly, because it would mean making sneaking so much easier in a lot of areas, taking away a lot of the challenge of it.

cackhyena

All you do is run around and move bodies most of the game with the delivery of shock audio tapes to mostly tell its story is a weak cop out. I would much rather have the long cutscenes the series is known for, which I loved. If this same game was released but titled Splinter Cell Ground Zeroes, I find it hard to imagine it would get high praise.
Yeah...no. I've thought about this game several times being stripped of even the MGS name, like if some indie came out and said check out my one level/area stealth game. No story or cut scenes, no recognizable characters. If they just had the gameplay with the excellent audio quality, I'd still be pouring just as much time into it...since I like stealth games. You can stop pretending you know what MGS fans like. You don't like this because of the trappings around the actual game play not being what you're used to for the series. Those of us who can appreciate the revamped (imo, much improved) game play will enjoy the next MGS.

As opposed to cutscenes that force-feed you all the information? This is a game that requires you to piece together the story on your own. If you were a fan of cutscenes and long codec monologues that told you everything, then obviously you're disappointed. Unless that sort of stuff returns in the main game.

Only the repetitive radio tips that happen after every checkpoint restart needs to be fixed.

Same here. While I see complaints of it, I liked it and thought it fit well. The annoyed tone in his voice was usually at an offbeat codec conversation or a moment that suited it plus it was just another quirky thing that MGS was known to have. MGS is known for quirky things and this preview isn't.

To be honest with you, I didn't reallysee this kind of tone in any other MGS game.

I've said this a billion times and I'll continue to say it - as a huge fan of the series, I love the change of stealth. It's raw. It's more exciting. You lack all the fancy gadgetry, radar, and wacky places to hide, so you become part of the map, learning routes, taking your time, etc.

The level design itself feels more intimate, not unlike the olden days of gaming.

I'm actually now (after hearing him in-game myself) somewhat satisfied with Big Boss being voiced by someone else but Hayter should be Solid Snake.

I'm still believing Kojima-san is still contriving something and Hayter is involved but all hush-hush

Sutherland replaced Hayter as Solid Snake in the Deja vu flashbacks. So yeah, unlikely.

rvy

Banned
Unless that sort of stuff returns in the main game.

Hopefully not, I'm sick and tired of it. I want to play a game, not watch characters talk for 20 minutes about nonsense I don't care about.

I have cancer.
Nooooo.
My cancer is being held back by bananamachines.
Yeeeeees.
I'm going to disable the bananamachines because of reasons.
Nooooooooooo.

Baby, what day is it tomorrow?
I don't know, baby.
Baby, YOU DON'T KNOW?!
No, but it rained the day I was born.
(x15 times)

I'm old.
Fucking kids, get off my lawn.
I'm old.
Liquiiiiiiiiiiiid.
I'm old.
Raiden, you're a brain and a spine, but your heart is TEH HUMAN.
I'm old.

Salaadin

I personally like the hidden story bits on cassette tapes. They're Not forced on you and don't get in the way of gameplay. It's a pretty good solution when you consider how boring the codec is to watch.

Regarding tone, I don't know. Even the silliest mgs games can be pretty damn serious. And when you look at side ops like Deja Vu, it's clear that GZ is still capable of being goofy. I'd be very surprised if TPP releases as an overly dark and humorless game that lacks any real mgs spirit.

cackhyena

Another thing I think is a vast improvement is the action. As in, past games to amp up the action part as part of the story had most of it out of your control a lot of times. Go toe to toe with Liquid or Ocelot in 4 in a fixed position. On rails shooting in 1 or 3 v the Shagohod. I feel like because of this freedom of play style now, Kojima can let you decide how a lot more of these battles play out if he does it right. It would feel very freeing to have a ton of ways to take out bosses in these environments. Imagine it's time to face whatever Metal Gear in TPP and you have an entire map the size of Camp Omega to formulate your strategy.

I keep watching speedruns of different objectives in this game and am continually surprised at the different approaches people take. The possibilities could be so much more with the full blown game. For once, a director wasn't blowing smoke about the options to me.

Hopefully not, I'm sick and tired of it. I want to play a game, not watch characters talk for 20 minutes about nonsense I don't care about.

I have cancer.
Nooooo.
My cancer is being held back by bananamachines.
Yeeeeees.
I'm going to disable the bananamachines because of reasons.
Nooooooooooo.

Baby, what day is it tomorrow?
I don't know, baby.
Baby, YOU DON'T KNOW?!
No, but it rained the day I was born.
(x15 times)

I'm old.
Fucking kids, get off my lawn.
I'm old.
Liquiiiiiiiiiiiid.
I'm old.
Raiden, you're a brain and a spine, but your heart is TEH HUMAN.
I'm old.
Ahahahahaha

I prefer the new style, yeah. I loved the codec stuff in Ghost Babel, MGS1, 3 and a bit of 2, but I'm really appreciating the style in GZ.

I wonder how the radio will work when there are multiple characters.

I personally like the hidden story bits on cassette tapes. They're Not forced on you and don't get in the way of gameplay.

One of the things I like about it.

rvy

Banned
I prefer the new style, yeah. I loved the codec stuff in Ghost Babel, MGS1, 3 and a bit of 2, but I'm really appreciating the style in GZ.

I wonder how the radio will work when there are multiple characters.

Same way as PW, is my guess. I don't think Kojima wants to focus much on radio comm.

Betty

Banned
Once Phantom Pain comes out, anyone know if it will include this?

There's been no word on that yet, but Ground Zeroes will be far cheaper by that point and I can definitely see them doing a special edition bundle including it with Phantom Pain.

SMZC

Another thing I think is a vast improvement is the action. As in, past games to amp up the action part as part of the story had most of it out of your control a lot of times. Go toe to toe with Liquid or Ocelot in 4 in a fixed position. On rails shooting in 1 or 3 v the Shagohod. I feel like because of this freedom of play style now, Kojima can let you decide how a lot more of these battles play out if he does it right. It would feel very freeing to have a ton of ways to take out bosses in these environments. Imagine it's time to face whatever Metal Gear in TPP and you have an entire map the size of Camp Omega to formulate your strategy.

Definitely. In MGSV, it's like you are the one creating your own action movie sequences. A silent extraction of a hostage from the base can quickly turn into a crazy, over the top chase sequence on vehicles.

Comparison

"Chico...It's meeee"

"Chicohhhhh...Do you know where they took the cargooohhh."

http://youtu.be/KVLkLqMUYh8

MayMay

Banned
BTW anyone else see the glitches in-game?

For example (Spoilerific pic):

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t31.0-8/1655631_10152088846682620_552328536_o.jpg

You can see BB's arm going through the leg, this also happens when you pick someone up and sprint.

Yeah.. that bothers me alot. Sprinting while carrying someone is painful because his arm just clips through them like its no big deal. Such a glaring issue too - I can't believe they did not notice/fix that during developement.

foxtrot3d

Banned
One thing that made me appreciate Kiefer's work more than Hayter's was in the cutscene where
BB puts Chico to sleep and tells Kaz that Paz isn't in her cell.

Kaz asks "Are you sure?"
And BB answers "Pretty sure" in a certain way as if he were saying "Yeah I'm sure you idiot, I'm looking at her cell right now"

If Hayter had said that line the result would've been a simple "Pretty suuuuuuuure"

Spoilerededed it just in case

Glad I'm not the only one who thought that little part was a stand out piece of voice acting from Kiefer. However, I want to clarify that I've always been a fan of Hayter's work and blame any poor performances on his part on the VO Director. I mean who seriously let him do the voice like that in PW, it is truly a damn parody. But, if you think Hayter's voice acting is bad then just go back and listen to his performance in MGS1, it's just perfect.

MGS1 has a small subtle piece of voice acting similar to that Kiefer line that I always loved. It's when you are in REX's hangar for the first time, climbing the ladder and Otacon keeps calling you to give you more info on Metal Gear. Well, in one of the codec calls he reveals that REX uses a stealth missile, Snake asks what the problem was with creating stealth missiles before hand and Otacon talks about the rocket propulsion system. Snake then replies, "Oh yeah." The way Hayter delivers that line I always enjoyed. I also loved the way he performed that codec call in yor torture cell when he reveals to Naomi his past.

Slowdive

Banned
Glad I'm not the only one who thought that little part was a stand out piece of voice acting from Kiefer. However, I want to clarify that I've always been a fan of Hayter's work and blame any poor performances on his part on the VO Director. I mean who seriously let him do the voice like that in PW, it is truly a damn near parody.

Pretty sure it has to be the director or someone behind the scenes, since when Hayter re-recorded lines for Snake Eater 3D he sounded fine. I love Hayter but in Peace Walker he grated on me.

So I got this recently and have only been able to play through the main mission and two of the side ops. Quick questions, how many side ops are there and how do the secret unlocks work? Do you just have to do the missions on different difficultly levels to get the tapes or do you actually find them in the game world. Also, any tips for being stealthy? I know the A.I. isn't that bright, there's some areas of the base where it seems like it would be impossible to move without being seen.

Top Bottom