• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

jett

D-Member

jett

D-Member
So I got this recently and have only been able to play through the main mission and two of the side ops. Quick questions, how many side ops are there and how do the secret unlocks work? Do you just have to do the missions on different difficultly levels to get the tapes or do you actually find them in the game world. Also, any tips for being stealthy? I know the A.I. isn't that bright, there's some areas of the base where it seems like it would be impossible to move without being seen.

Different missions have different tapes, there are bonus objectives in all the missions pretty much, all of the XOF patches are only found in the Ground Zeroes missions.

Being stealthy is easy. There's a camo index in this game like in MGS4 and MGS4, it's just invisible. It's simply logical now. Going prone makes it go really high, and going prone in the middle of grass makes you virtually invisible, even just crouching gives you good cover in grassy areas. Staying in the shadows also helps. You can also shoot out environment lights to make it darker, remember you can only shoot out yellow-colored lights.

Glad I'm not the only one who thought that little part was a stand out piece of voice acting from Kiefer. However, I want to clarify that I've always been a fan of Hayter's work and blame any poor performances on his part on the VO Director. I mean who seriously let him do the voice like that in PW, it is truly a damn parody. But, if you think Hayter's voice acting is bad then just go back and listen to his performance in MGS1, it's just perfect.

MGS1 has a small subtle piece of voice acting similar to that Kiefer line that I always loved. It's when you are in REX's hangar for the first time, climbing the ladder and Otacon keeps calling you to give you more info on Metal Gear. Well, in one of the codec calls he reveals that REX uses a stealth missile, Snake asks what the problem was with creating stealth missiles before hand and Otacon talks about the rocket propulsion system. Snake then replies, "Oh yeah." The way Hayter delivers that line I always enjoyed. I also loved the way he performed that codec call in yor torture cell when he reveals to Naomi his past.

Hayter was pretty good at dry humor/sarcasm. Also in MGS1, when Rex first activates and Otacon says it's almost invincible due to its armor Snake says "Oh, great!"

There's a codec in MGS2 where Raiden brags about his sniping skills in VR and Snake says "Yeah, that makes me feel better."

Paz is now the most tragic character in the MGS series (or maybe 2nd to The Boss).
Agree or disagree? Or did the whole thing feel like Kojima was trying too hard?

foxtrot3d

Banned
urghhh its me urghhhh .

i understand metal gear fans need to hear hayter to squeeze out those extra few droplets of cum, and i get that he's part of the quirky cheese charm. but sutherland is better.

MGS1 Hayter Snake is better than GZ Kiefer Snake, deal with it.

Paz is now the most tragic character in the MGS series (or maybe 2nd to The Boss).
Agree or disagree? Or did the whole thing feel like Kojima was trying too hard?

Paz isn't anywhere near as developed as The Boss, and her death isn't exactly tragic, she did try to nuke the US in Peace Walker. We never got a chance to fully explore her character and her backstory, also I hated some of that forced writing in her Diary tapes when her flip to heel was revealed. Seriously Kojima, she hates cats and thinks they are disgusting especially when it is doing the cutest thing ever? Just stop, we get it she's not actually a sweet and innocent girl you don't need to make her hate ice cream for us to get that, because seriously nobody hates ice cream.

Gui_PT

Glad I'm not the only one who thought that little part was a stand out piece of voice acting from Kiefer. However, I want to clarify that I've always been a fan of Hayter's work and blame any poor performances on his part on the VO Director. I mean who seriously let him do the voice like that in PW, it is truly a damn parody. But, if you think Hayter's voice acting is bad then just go back and listen to his performance in MGS1, it's just perfect.

MGS1 has a small subtle piece of voice acting similar to that Kiefer line that I always loved. It's when you are in REX's hangar for the first time, climbing the ladder and Otacon keeps calling you to give you more info on Metal Gear. Well, in one of the codec calls he reveals that REX uses a stealth missile, Snake asks what the problem was with creating stealth missiles before hand and Otacon talks about the rocket propulsion system. Snake then replies, "Oh yeah." The way Hayter delivers that line I always enjoyed. I also loved the way he performed that codec call in yor torture cell when he reveals to Naomi his past.

I have to agree with you, I love his work in MGS1. I watch MGS1 streams all the time just for the dialogue.
But unfortunately the quality of his work has been declining since MGS2.

foxtrot3d

Banned
I wouldn't argue that except there isn't even a comparison to be made. GZ is too short to even come to that conclusion.

Christ

I can agree with that, although having heard Kiefers' previous voice acting roles (COD:WaW) and the brief bit of GZ I think my conclusion is safe. I mean he usually justs sounds like Kiefer aka Jack Bauer, thus he doesn't really stand out and he botched some of those lines in GZ including the majority of the opening cutscene. Robin Atkin Downes kills it as usual though, except for maybe the whole "fiddle" line, but that has more to do with Kojima not understanding that no one would say that in English at such a moment.

EDIT:
yeah mgs1 hayter. that doesn't include the other 4 games where he sucks.

also the point everyone else makes.

Hey now, Hayter did a good job though MGS1-3 it didn't get terrible until MGS4. MGS2 is when he started the whole "urghhh" and extending the "rrrrrr's" after each sentence, but back then it was only slightly and very subtle. He gruffed up the voice a bit more for MGS3 and continued extending the whole "urrghhh" routine. When we reached MGS4 is when it got bad, although that really had a lot to do with Snake being Old and sick so that growly, gruff performance could be warranted. PW is an abomination of voic acting.

Although, I remember Hayter saying that after MGS1 he had to change the way he did Snake's voice because it hurt his throat too much as it was so unnatural, which also explains the slight difference between MGS1 and later games.

Last time we got a peek at the concept arts, many for TPP! We also got a tease that there'll be another distraction method.

I hope we get something in this one.

Definitely! For sure, man. I think we're going to be getting tiny bits of info regarding MGSV from now until E3 (and afterwards, probably more and more). I really enjoy this weekly podcast that Kojima Productions has set up. It's a great way of keeping the fans involved! Also, I saw your post - the one showing off the concept art. Lovely work by Shin-chan. ^_^

Imm0rt4l

I can agree with that, although having heard Kiefers' previous voice acting roles (COD:WaW) and the brief bit of GZ I think my conclusion is safe. I mean he usually justs sounds like Kiefer aka Jack Bauer, thus he doesn't really stand out and he botched some of those lines in GZ including the majority of the opening cutscene. Robin Atkin Downes kills it as usual though, except for maybe the whole "fiddle" line, but that has more to do with Kojima not understanding that no one would say that in English at such a moment.

I still think it's too soon, but you're entitled to your opinion. Even then it doesn't negate Hayter becoming a parody of himself and giving shitty performances in all the games not named mgs1.

Ishida

Banned
8When we reached MGS4 is when it got bad, although that really had a lot to do with Snake being Old and sick so that growly, gruff performance could be warranted. PW is an abomination of voic acting.

Although, I remember Hayter saying that after MGS1 he had to change the way he did Snake's voice because it hurt his throat too much as it was so unnatural, which also explains the slight difference between MGS1 and later games.

I loved Hayter's performance on MGS4. It fits like a glove with a depressed, old Solid Snake.

His performances have been pretty great all around. The voice he provides, is the voice that the voice acting director wanted him to do. That's the envisioned english voice of the characters.

Definitely! For sure, man. I think we're going to be getting tiny bits of info regarding MGSV from now until E3 (and afterwards, probably more and more). I really enjoy this weekly podcast that Kojima Productions has set up. It's a great way of keeping the fans involved! Also, I saw your post - the one showing off the concept art. Lovely work by Shin-chan. ^_^

Yeah, those tiny bits of weekly info should keep us going.

I skimmed through the Japanese episode but sadly I saw nothing new from the actual video itself :( Not sure what they were talking about, though.

Am I the only that thinks the missions stats/report after every main mission would break the immersion in the full game? I would like to have a continuous flow and story without that coming up. It should be relegated to a menu thing. Or an overall report at the end of the game (like previous MGS) games, with a specific code name earned.

Its fine for Extra Ops though.

cackhyena

I loved Hayter's performance on MGS4. It fits like a glove with a depressed, old Solid Snake.

His performances have been pretty great all around. The voice he provides, is the voice that the voice acting director wanted him to do. That's the envisioned english voice of the characters.
Then I can't stand the director.

Am I the only that thinks the missions stats/report after every main mission would break the immersion in the full game? I would like to have a continuous flow and story without that coming up. It should be relegated to a menu thing. Or an overall report at the end of the game (like previous MGS) games, with a specific code name earned.

I'd love an on off option for it. Play through once for the story with it off, then play countless hours with it on.

Yeah, those tiny bits of weekly info should keep us going.

I skimmed through the Japanese episode but sadly I saw nothing new from the actual video itself :( Not sure what they were talking about, though.

Ha! Yeah, agreed. I did the same... Couldn't tell what was going on, for the most part, but it was really cool seeing Hideo interacting with the fans!

Comparison

"Chico...It's meeee"

"Chicohhhhh...Do you know where they took the cargooohhh."

http://youtu.be/KVLkLqMUYh8

My problem with this is that Hayter's voice was generally pretty good, even in 4 where he was told to sound like he's dying. On that interview thing, he did a line from MGS1 about Mei Ling being cute and it sounded fantastic.

I would easily blame the localisation and voice direction and 1 poor game doesn't undo the work he already did.

Nope, Peace Walker did it and it was fine.

mattp

My problem with this is that Hayter's voice was generally pretty good, even in 4 where he was told to sound like he's dying. On that interview thing, he did a line from MGS1 about Mei Ling being cute and it sounded fantastic.

I would easily blame the localisation and voice direction and 1 poor game doesn't undo the work he already did.

what interview?

Guys. What if both Sutherland and Hayter are great? This is basically like when James Bond gets a new actor, a very iconic character played in a different way.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Guys. What if both Sutherland and Hayter are great? This is basically like when James Bond gets a new actor, a very iconic character played in a different way.

Well, I don't think a lot of people here are claiming that either Sutherland or Hayter are or were bad, right now we are merely musing about which does it better. Just as we all know that Connery Bond is superior to Brosnan Bond.

Ishida

Banned
Well, I don't think a lot of people here are claiming that either Sutherland or Hayter are or were bad, right now we are merely musing about which does it better. Just as we all know that Connery Bond is superior to Brosnan Bond.

And Craig Bond is superior to both. *runs away*

Zen

Banned
Nice, that's your opinion. I think it was fantastic, and very fitting with the Metal Gear universe.

http://joypadandme.com/2014/04/02/podcast-episode-50-metal-gear-podcast-featuring-david-hayter/

Considering they sound 90% identical I think this preference is down the fact that he did the voice for all those years. If the roles were reversed and suddenly David Hayter got the job, you might be saying the exact same thing no?

I think 4 was some of Hayters best voice work actually, but it is all opinions.

Ishida

Banned
Considering they sound 90% identical I think this preference is down the fact that he did the voice for all those years. If the roles were reversed and suddenly David Hayter got the job, you might be saying the exact same thing no?

I think 4 was some of Hayters best voice work actually, but it is all opinions.

Perhaps. But somehow I don't think I would've liked the game as much without the over-the-top acting in the first place.

I remember seeing a lot of comments on how Hayter's voice is bad in PW or became cartoonish after MGS1 or whatever (those kinds of opinions that seemed to not really exist before we knew about the replacement) so I apologize if I got the wrong idea.

I'm personally interested in seeing how Sutherland adapts to the role and how he portrays the character, and so far the only real weak spot in my opinion is when he had to say a line only David Hayter could pull off (I'm sure we all know the one).

And Craig Bond is superior to both. *runs away*
Please. It is about Timothy Dalton.

MGS1 Hayter Snake is better than GZ Kiefer Snake, deal with it.

Paz isn't anywhere near as developed as The Boss, and her death isn't exactly tragic, she did try to nuke the US in Peace Walker. We never got a chance to fully explore her character and her backstory, also I hated some of that forced writing in her Diary tapes when her flip to heel was revealed. Seriously Kojima, she hates cats and thinks they are disgusting especially when it is doing the cutest thing ever? Just stop, we get it she's not actually a sweet and innocent girl you don't need to make her hate ice cream for us to get that, because seriously nobody hates ice cream.

Great point. That's just dumb. Still, I felt she didn't deserve the torture and neither did Chico of course. I see what Kojima meant by darker & mature storytelling but not sure many will take it that away. Most might just say it's gross out horror like Human Centipede without any message or meaning behind it. And yes, should have developed her more before killing her off. It would have been visceral and shocking if we actually knew what kind of person she was besides a puppet with many faces.

foxtrot3d

Banned
I remember seeing a lot of comments on how Hayter's voice is bad in PW or became cartoonish after MGS1 or whatever (those kinds of opinions that seemed to not really exist before we knew about the replacement) so I apologize if I got the wrong idea.

I'm personally interested in seeing how Sutherland adapts to the role and how he portrays the character, and so far the only real weak spot in my opinion is when he had to say a line only David Hayter could pull off (I'm sure we all know the one).

Please. It is about Timothy Dalton.

Well that is true, as a die hard Hayter fan even I was taken back when I played PW but again I blame the VO director that allowed him to do the voice that way, all they had to say was dial that way back Mr. Hayter.

No. Everyone knows Roger Moore Bond is the bestest Bond.

abrack08

Honestly, I know I'm way in the minority here, but I liked Hayter in Peace Walker. Really 4 was the only one I had a problem with, and even then it was understandable.

lordxar

Here's a really dumb question. I've only played the first MG on NES, MGS4, and now GZ. I get that the games take place at different times but it seems like the ground TPP is going to cover should have already been explained by now. So what new info will TPP be bringing to the table?

BTW, I'm watching this YouTube series that supposedly recaps the major highlights in chronological order. I figure this is a bit easier than slogging through each game and trying to pick it all up.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqU3_cfWaeY2DT7imScZKA3_PZJHRfdzy

Holykael1

Banned
I never felt like Hayter did a bad job in any of the games..
Sutherland's performance felt dry and uninspired, I just don't think it fits the character at all but I'll roll with it.

Here's a really dumb question. I've only played the first MG on NES, MGS4, and now GZ. I get that the games take place at different times but it seems like the ground TPP is going to cover should have already been explained by now. So what new info will TPP be bringing to the table?

This game possibly involves the construction of the same place in Africa you infiltrate in MG1. Other than that I dunno.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい

BTW, I'm watching this YouTube series that supposedly recaps the major highlights in chronological order. I figure this is a bit easier than slogging through each game and trying to pick it all up.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqU3_cfWaeY2DT7imScZKA3_PZJHRfdzy

It's not really a dumb question.

The series story is a complete mess so don't worry if you are confused!

SMZC

Man, I love planting C4 on the back of the guards, then randomly blowing them up one by one (for those who don't know, you can place a marker on spotted guards as if they were a location in the map; this helps keep track of the C4'd guards, although only one at a time, since you can only put one marker).

Also, I don't know if many people knew about this, but I just realized that the kills that your helicopter gets don't count towards your own kill count at the end of the game. I haven't tried using this to improve my rank yet, but since helicopters don't hurt neither your alarm nor kill scores, they should come in handy for getting better scores (unless they get shot down, of course, which is not necessarily a huge problem, given that the helicopter gets away once enough damage has been done to it). Either way, it's so much fun to throw a signal grenade in the middle of the base before concealing yourself, and then taking advantage of the battle to carry out your objective. It works like a charm in the mission about killing the two marines, and overall it's very reminiscent of the idea of dynamic battles between opposing factions that Kojima wanted to implement in MGS4 (this makes one wonder if we'll be able to call in more helicopters at once or even different kinds of backup in TPP).

As for the voice acting discussion, am I alone in thinking that it was MGS3 where Hayter truly started to fuck up? I can't stand his voice for Naked Snake, he sounds so unprofessional, naive and dumb. I suppose that he was going for something along these lines, being Big Boss at the youngest that we've ever seen him, but the end result is just... not good.

Top Bottom