• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

Story Discussion - from the person who did the Critical Close-Up videos for previous games:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OABF4AsUec

Thanks, love Bunnyhop's MGS videos and this one clears a couple of things for me since I haven't played GZ.

Here's a really dumb question. I've only played the first MG on NES, MGS4, and now GZ. I get that the games take place at different times but it seems like the ground TPP is going to cover should have already been explained by now. So what new info will TPP be bringing to the table?

BTW, I'm watching this YouTube series that supposedly recaps the major highlights in chronological order. I figure this is a bit easier than slogging through each game and trying to pick it all up.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqU3_cfWaeY2DT7imScZKA3_PZJHRfdzy

I suppose MGSV might end up being something like Star Wars: Episode 3 where we see how Darth Vader came to be.

fbgamer

Banned
People are quick to choose Hayter over Kiefer Sutherland for two main reasons.

1.) OH I HATE SUTHERLAND BECAUSE HE'S FAMOUS AND DAVID HAYTER ISN'T.

2.) I HATE CHANGE AND NOW THEY REALIZED DAVID HAYTER'S VOICE IS TOTAL SHIT AND GOT A NEW VOICE ACTOR. I WANT HIM BACK

Kiefer Sutherland sounds human, and he's a better choice for the future.

Holykael1

Banned

2.) I HATE CHANGE AND NOW THEY REALIZED DAVID HAYTER'S VOICE IS TOTAL SHIT AND GOT A NEW VOICE ACTOR. I WANT HIM BACK

My reason is that I don't like the portrayal of him as Big Boss.. I was not against getting a new voice actor because it makes sense from a story perspective.
I didn't like his performance regardless of popularity or my liking of David Hayters work.
Lol at the bolded part too. Does Hayter sound what? Alien?

-Deimos

Also, I don't know if many people knew about this, but I just realized that the kills that your helicopter gets don't count towards your own kill count at the end of the game. I haven't tried using this to improve my rank yet, but since helicopters don't hurt neither your alarm nor kill scores, they should come in handy for getting better scores (unless they get shot down, of course, which is not necessarily a huge problem, given that the helicopter gets away once enough damage has been done to it). Either way, it's so much fun to throw a signal grenade in the middle of the base before concealing yourself, and then taking advantage of the battle to carry out your objective. It works like a charm in the mission about killing the two marines, and overall it's very reminiscent of the idea of dynamic battles between opposing factions that Kojima wanted to implement in MGS4 (this makes one wonder if we'll be able to call in more helicopters at once or even different kinds of backup in TPP).

Using the chopper as a decoy? I like it.

nope.

Here's a really dumb question. I've only played the first MG on NES, MGS4, and now GZ. I get that the games take place at different times but it seems like the ground TPP is going to cover should have already been explained by now. So what new info will TPP be bringing to the table?

BTW, I'm watching this YouTube series that supposedly recaps the major highlights in chronological order. I figure this is a bit easier than slogging through each game and trying to pick it all up.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqU3_cfWaeY2DT7imScZKA3_PZJHRfdzy

not really spoilers but tagging anyway in case people will deduce the ending of GZ from this or don't want to see spoilers from other games

So... throughout Metal Gear 1 & 2 and Metal Gear Solid 1 & 2, Big Boss is portrayed as the bad guy, as a terrorist.

Then MGS3 comes along and Big Boss/Naked Snake seems like a good guy and is working for/with Major Zero.

Then MGS4 comes along and Big Boss portrays himself as misguided, but still, Zero was worse.

The big things we still haven't seen are...
1. Big Boss getting full blown pissed off at Zero and creating Outer Heaven in secret
2. Big Boss being a full blown bad guy (or at least perceived as a full blown bad guy)
3. Big Boss meeting Solid/Liquid Snake. We see a glimpse of someone who is almost certain to be Liquid in The Phantom Pain trailer, so it's possible both of these will happen
in The Phantom Pain

It's possible that the events at the end of Ground Zeroes is the reason why Big Boss finally is pissed off, but we won't see that pay off till Ground Zeroes.

I'm hoping that The Phantom Pain shows this stuff. In addition, I still think it would be great to see an HD re-imagining of the first 2 Metal Gears eventually to see Solid Snake vs. Big Boss in the most fully realized way possible.

Betty

Banned
The guy who did the amazing analysis's on MGS2 & 3 just released a new video about Ground Zereos which, even though I disagree with it in some parts, is still a great watch.
Do you get points for extracting soldiers? Is it a worthwhile amount?

I don't think so, and even if you did, it wouldn't be much for the amount of time it takes. Extracting prisoners is a FAR greater reward though, just capturing 1 extra prisoner on any given mission gives your score a nice bump.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Are you sure you're logged in correctly?

I select PS3 and enter my credentials, and it gives me the error. I tried entering the wrong password intentionally and it gives me wrong password error.

Do I need to do anything on GZ/the PS3?

Spaghetti

hopefully this episode is more of its own thing rather than basically the japanese show in english

the last japanese episode was pretty heavy on japan specific stuff like the launch of the peace walker novel, so either we're getting a short episode or finally they're going to add some more western specific content

is it bad i kind of like the look of some of the puma gear? the camo stuff looks shit but the sort of dark almost snake-skin like jacket and shoes look... kinda good.

alllen

Neo Member
The guy who did the amazing analysis's on MGS2 & 3 just released a new video about Ground Zereos which, even though I disagree with it in some parts, is still a great watch.

Well put together arguments, but one thing about it bothers me.

He says Big Boss is already a bad guy because he has his own private army and a nuke, but I don't really agree with that. Big Boss recruits people who have nowhere else to go and fights on behalf of people/countries who can't defend themselves. He has the nuke for the deterrent factor, I don't think Big Boss would actually use it. Though I do think he's less sympathetic than Solid Snake, and definitely not innocent in the way Sacco and Vanzetti are, but I don't particularly think he's a bad guy yet. At least definitely not in Metal Gear universe standards. Compared to people like Volgin, Hot Coldman, and Skull Face Big Boss is a saint.

Spaghetti

the guitar jamming kind of makes me wish you could tune into radio signals in the phantom pain for those long stretches where you're just travelling without too much risk from enemies

Ishida

Banned

Oh, the usual: "People don't agree with me because stupid reasons."

How about the "I just don't like how Kiefer sounds as Big Boss"? That's the one I chose.

lordxar

After my new found knowledge sank in, I'm thinking Big Boss isn't bad in the traditional sense. Maybe does the wrong things here and there in the name of good. From what I gather he makes some bad decisions periodically from becoming disillusioned.

rvy

Banned
I'm waiting on George for his critical close-up of MGS 4.

He hasn't delivered yet.

George, I will hunt you down.

Toxa

about time

1493329_10203581257799068_1552194787_o.jpg

After my new found knowledge sank in, I'm thinking Big Boss isn't bad in the traditional sense. Maybe does the wrong things here and there in the name of good. From what I gather he makes some bad decisions periodically from becoming disillusioned.

Big Boss wanted to plunge the world into never ending war and intentionally created a system loop to recruit new child soldiers into his army, old Big Boss is a bad man.

jett

D-Member
about time

Man... I have some shitty news for you. :p You could've just got an A rank, unlocked the RPG at the spawn point, and from there you can destroy three anti-air units and the tank that shows up later on in like two minutes flat. Easiest S rank.

raven777

I don't know if they mentioned in the English version of KojiStation, but in Japanese version they mentioned that GZ shipped over 2 million units worldwide.

Gun Animal

George Weidman's argument that Big Boss and Kazuhira's plight isn't comparable to Sacco and Vanzetti because they own nukes forgets that many people (especially anarchists, like Nicola and Bart) would argue that individuals have just as much right (or lack of right) to own nuclear weapons as any government. George has his own morals all mixed up in the argument.

Also, his video "The Importance of Quiet Time" makes me wonder if Quiet will actually be the main playable character of the Phantom Pain. It would explain why Big Boss has so little dialogue during gameplay and cutscenes (but quite a bit more during tapes) in Ground Zeroes if Kojima wants to do a silent protagonist thing, and it might explain her torture sequence as well. (the main character in metal gears always get tortured at some point!)

I would think if that's the case, maybe we'll play as Big Boss in Cyprus and afghanistan, and then as Quiet for the remainder of the game?

jett

D-Member
My reason is that I don't like the portrayal of him as Big Boss.. I was not against getting a new voice actor because it makes sense from a story perspective.
I didn't like his performance regardless of popularity or my liking of David Hayters work.
Lol at the bolded part too. Does Hayter sound what? Alien?

Hayter sounds like a cartoon character. Honestly, all the way to MGS1. He was just less ridiculous and over the top then.

When you grab an enemy from behind what are you supposed to be pressing to keep them in a hold? I start tapping the trigger but I think I'm doing it wrong.

abrack08

When you grab an enemy from behind what are you supposed to be pressing to keep them in a hold? I start tapping the trigger but I think I'm doing it wrong.

Press and hold R1 (PS3) or R2 (PS4). Make sure when you press it you aren't pressing any direction on the left stick, or you may throw them instead. You can start moving after you've grabbed them to drag them around though.

Once you've got them grabbed, while holding R2, you can press L1 to interrogate them, triangle to slit their throat, or rapidly press R2 to choke them (non-lethal, knocks them out)

Most of the folks I know don't like Sutherland because:

1. He's Jack Bauer

2. He's Jack Bauer?

alllen

Neo Member
Also, his video "The Importance of Quiet Time" makes me wonder if Quiet will actually be the main playable character of the Phantom Pain. It would explain why Big Boss has so little dialogue during gameplay and cutscenes (but quite a bit more during tapes) in Ground Zeroes if Kojima wants to do a silent protagonist thing, and it might explain her torture sequence as well. (the main character in metal gears always get tortured at some point!)

I would think if that's the case, maybe we'll play as Big Boss in Cyprus and afghanistan, and then as Quiet for the remainder of the game?

Doubt that. If you're going to be building up Mother Base it wouldn't make sense to switch characters out like that. It would be cool, but I don't see it.

Toxa

Man... I have some shitty news for you. :p You could've just got an A rank, unlocked the RPG at the spawn point, and from there you can destroy three anti-air units and the tank that shows up later on in like two minutes flat. Easiest S rank.
oh LMAO :D

i'll try that later

Hurley

Not to try and derail into another Hayter vs Sutherland topic but joypadAndMe podcast had an interview with Hayter recently and throughout it he did the snake voice and it sounded leagues better then how he sounded in MGS4/PW imo, like when he's not forcing or trying to sound grizzled it's fine

I get that people just don't like his voice in general but I think he could do Solid again just fine.

KORNdoggy

pfft. how about not putting reasoning in other people's mouths? how about accepting that people, including myself actuall LIKE hayter as a voice actor for snake since he matches the same campy rediculousness of the rest of the game and voice actors.

i don't know if you noticed, but kiefer sounds out of place now he's surrounded by the usual hammy script and voice actors. kojima either needed to write a more grounded, better script with realistic potrayals of characters, or he needed to keep hayter so it gels with everything else. this..."half step" just creates a jarring mess of voicework. you have kiefer trying his damnedest to make crappy writting sound legit, all the while you have characters working opposite him with the likes of the "fiddle" line of dialogue which makes the entire scene seem like a joke...

i want hayter for consistency. i want hayter becasue he fits the anime-esque, crazy melodrama of typical MGS story lines. i want hayter becasue he's a better fit then kiefer, who was only brought on board so they can stick a celebrity name on the box.

While I understand people missing MGS' silliness in GZ's main story I really don't see how you can...idk criticize GZ for it. The guy's argument really doesn't hold up for me. The story is pretty much told like a MG game would during its more serious moments. Its like saying The Boss' death is lessened because Ocelot has a twirl-a-thon right after.

Top Bottom