• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

Lemondish

pfft. how about not putting reasoning in other people's mouths? how about accepting that people, including myself actuall LIKE hayter as a voice actor for snake since he matches the same campy rediculousness of the rest of the game and voice actors.

i don't know if you noticed, but kiefer sounds out of place now he's surrounded by the usual hammy script and voice actors. kojima either needed to write a more grounded, better script with realistic potrayals of characters, or he needed to keep hayter so it gels with everything else. this..."half step" just creates a jarring mess of voicework. you have kiefer trying his damnedest to make crappy writting sound legit, all the while you have characters working opposite him with the likes of the "fiddle" line of dialogue which makes the entire scene seem like a joke...

i want hayter for consistency. i want hayter becasue he fits the anime-esque, crazy melodrama of typical MGS story lines. i want hayter becasue he's a better fit then kiefer, who was only brought on board so they can stick a celebrity name on the box.

You had an amazing point going until the very last sentence. Seriously, there's no need to make that accusation unless you have some sort of proof. You had a solid argument and you didn't need to dress it up to make it seem bigger.

Twinduct

So been playing/ watching MGS4 playthroughs as of late and wanted to ask.
Any idea if the weapon system/ customization system for weapons is gonna make an appearance in Phantom Pain? I know PW didn't contain it, then again that could have just been a limitation of the hardware/ time constraint to include it.

When I played GZ I completely forgot about the awesome system brought in to MGS4. Playing it now I'll be pretty sad if it's not there :<

SJRB

Gold Member
I select PS3 and enter my credentials, and it gives me the error. I tried entering the wrong password intentionally and it gives me wrong password error.

Do I need to do anything on GZ/the PS3?

I know this sounds arbitrary, but did you follow the "how to connect" steps in the "data portal" of the Ground Zeroes app? There is some handshaking required between the console, the game and the app before everything works properly.

So been playing/ watching MGS4 playthroughs as of late and wanted to ask.
Any idea if the weapon system/ customization system for weapons is gonna make an appearance in Phantom Pain? I know PW didn't contain it, then again that could have just been a limitation of the hardware/ time constraint to include it.

When I played GZ I completely forgot about the awesome system brought in to MGS4. Playing it now I'll be pretty sad if it's not there :<

Based on how you could turn off or take off the flashlight and silencer respectively, it may be in.

Twinduct

Based on how you could turn off or take off the flashlight and silencer respectively, it may be in.

Yeah I also though that when I replayed it. Just hope it's as fleshed out as MGS4's .. hell they can even go the extra route and add in even more attachments and etc.

Guess I'm just asking to be spoiled by choice :p

Not to try and derail into another Hayter vs Sutherland topic but joypadAndMe podcast had an interview with Hayter recently and throughout it he did the snake voice and it sounded leagues better then how he sounded in MGS4/PW imo, like when he's not forcing or trying to sound grizzled it's fine

I get that people just don't like his voice in general but I think he could do Solid again just fine.

you could link to said interview ya know

edit:I'll do it

http://joypadandme.com/2014/04/02/podcast-episode-50-metal-gear-podcast-featuring-david-hayter/

jsnepo

Not to try and derail into another Hayter vs Sutherland topic but joypadAndMe podcast had an interview with Hayter recently and throughout it he did the snake voice and it sounded leagues better then how he sounded in MGS4/PW imo, like when he's not forcing or trying to sound grizzled it's fine

I get that people just don't like his voice in general but I think he could do Solid again just fine.

The Snake voice during the intro is terrible if that's what you are referring to.

Yeah I also though that when I replayed it. Just hope it's as fleshed out as MGS4's .. hell they can even go the extra route and add in even more attachments and etc.

Guess I'm just asking to be spoiled by choice :p

I definitely want it. Especially if TPP has you pick your loadout before

SJRB

Gold Member
same , I just can't ... need hayter asap

Well you guys better pull yourselves together because he's not coming back.

Seriously, are we going to do this shit in this thread for the rest of the year? Hayter is gone, let it go.

The only problem I had with Ground Zeroes is Sutherland Snake being near-mute. That ending would've made more of an impact if
I'd heard Snake actually make an effort and grumble a little when being blown off his feet by a rocket launcher.

Salaadin

I'm over the Hayter thing. I loved him as Snake but I also didn't realize how insignificant the voice was in the grand scheme of things. Once I got over that initial shock of hearing Kiefer the first time, any issues I had with it just went away.

Kiefer does sound much more natural. It's a change for the better.

The only problem I had with Ground Zeroes is Sutherland Snake being near-mute. That ending would've made more of an impact if
I'd heard Snake actually make an effort and grumble a little when being blown off his feet by a rocket launcher.

Well did have an anguished scream before he left mother base....

KORNdoggy

You had an amazing point going until the very last sentence. Seriously, there's no need to make that accusation unless you have some sort of proof. You had a solid argument and you didn't need to dress it up to make it seem bigger.

what other reason is there to remove an integral voice presence from the series and replace him with a "celebrity"? if they replaced nolan north in uncharted 4 with brad pitt are you telling me it wouldn't be for celebrity's sake? some sort of attempt to legitemise the storytelling? kojima is essentially a struggling movie director stuck making games. i think it's perfectly fair to assume he wanted a "real actor" to make his new cinematic game seem more like a "real movie". problem is his writing and directing hasn't changed so it ends up being more distracting then anything.

hammy, cheesy, anime inspired weirdness calls for hammy, cheesy, anime inspired dialogue and voice work imo. and kiefer offers non of that. put him next to the ironically still cheesy miller or ocelot, and it's like 2 completely different games have collided to form something cringe worthy.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
what other reason is there to remove an integral voice presence from the series and replace him with a "celebrity"? if they replaced nolan north in uncharted 4 with brad pitt are you telling me it wouldn't be for celebrity's sake? some sort of attempt to legitemise the storytelling? kojima is essentially a struggling movie director stuck making games. i think it's perfectly fair to assume he wanted a "real actor" to make his new cinematic game seem more like a "real movie". problem is his writing and directing hasn't changed so it ends up being more distracting then anything.

hammy, cheesy, anime inspired weirdness calls for hammy, cheesy, anime inspired dialogue and voice work imo. and kiefer offers non of that. put him next to the ironically still cheesy miller or ocelot, and it's like 2 completely different games have collided to form something cringe worthy.

This is a good point, Miller's VA is terrible 80s cartoon style. Im playing PW for the first time this week, and it's stark how daft Hayter is as Snake. Absolutely no nuance. I love the OTT stylings of the MGS series but I get that if they want to make it more grounded it makes sense to have Snake sound more like an actual human. The writing in GZ is leagues more restrained and "realistic" than it ever has been.

KORNdoggy

This is a good point, Miller's VA is terrible 80s cartoon style. Im playing PW for the first time this week, and it's stark how daft Hayter is as Snake. Absolutely no nuance. I love the OTT stylings of the MGS series but I get that if they want to make it more grounded it makes sense to have Snake sound more like an actual human. The writing in GZ is leagues more restrained and "realistic" than it ever has been.

but they can't just do it for the protagonist and call it a day and feel like they've achieved nuance within the game as a whole. if they're aiming for nuance, it needs to be across the board. otherwise that one character they've done it for feels massively out of place. as is the case with kiefer's snake. it doesnt help that GZ's snake is so untalkative, meaning the little dialogue that is there is left to these secondary characters like miller (who doesn't shut up), who as you said, sounds like a bad, 80's cartoon. but at least before, hayter snake also sounded like a bad 80's cartoon. there was at least consistency in the approach to voice work. and ironically, even though they've got a new voice actor for ocelot, he's mimicing the cheese factor of the original ocelot, which completely goes against the nuanced approach of kiefer...

i'd be fine one way or the other.

if kiefer stays, re-write the script to be less cheesy, more grounded, more realistic (no comedy "fiddle" lines would be a good start), and re-record the voice work to fit with kiefer's more subdued, subtle, nuanced style.

or, and this is much easier for kojima and konami, keep the cheese and script as is, but bring hayter back so there is consistency once again. even if it's a secondary voice option like their silent hill HD games.

for me it's a one of the other option. if they keep this mix of styles that clash with each other on a consistent basis, then i honestly don't think i'll be able to enjoy the story of phantom pain, and it may be the very first MGS games i skip cutscenes for.

cackhyena

I'm sure I won't be scrutinizing the story much, because it was never something I was super invested in. I just love stealth games and the mechanics of GZ and TPP are so, so good that this entire story goal of Kojima's to go darker, with new cast members replacing old (I dig Keifer) could be a disaster and I'd still play the ever loving shit out of it.

mattp

am i the only one who misses the old item and weapons equipment systems?
i dont like picking up random guns, it makes them feel less special as items. i prefer how the older games work where you get to x point in the game and you can find y gun. and then you have it forever
and i would much prefer it holding a d-pad direction was the equivalent of R2 in older games. it pauses the action and brings up a list of all your weapons which you can just scroll through.
i'm super tired of every game doing the whole "you can have 1 big gun and 1 secondary gun" nonsense. and you toggle them by hidding up or down on the d-pad

this is the one thing that didnt feel like mgs at all to me. everything else about the controls and gameplay feels like a really good evolution of mgs3

He did make some kind of grunt after the rocket launcher explosion.

KORNdoggy

He did make some kind of grunt after the rocket launcher explosion.

sounds like he won't be saying much in phantom pain either by the sounds of this (take from the recent stealth vs stealth eurogamer article)

Jordan Amaro: And Snake doesn't talk as much. He said, if he talks too much then we have to pay Kiefer Sutherland a lot more!

cackhyena

The idea of this strat is good but the execution flawed, the alert prevents S-rank. You need to take out the three sentries around you before firing the sniper rifle.
Yeah, if you are going for just the best time, I don't see how you beat it. But no S rank is why I wouldn't even bother. With carefully taking out who I need to to ensure no alerts after firing, it takes me around four minutes and change on hard or normal, I think. I just like seeing people beast through in crazy times.

but they can't just do it for the protagonist and call it a day and feel like they've achieved nuance within the game as a whole. if they're aiming for nuance, it needs to be across the board. otherwise that one character they've done it for feels massively out of place. as is the case with kiefer's snake. it doesnt help that GZ's snake is so untalkative, meaning the little dialogue that is there is left to these secondary characters like miller (who doesn't shut up), who as you said, sounds like a bad, 80's cartoon. but at least before, hayter snake also sounded like a bad 80's cartoon. there was at least consistency in the approach to voice work. and ironically, even though they've got a new voice actor for ocelot, he's mimicing the cheese factor of the original ocelot, which completely goes against the nuanced approach of kiefer...

i'd be fine one way or the other.

if kiefer stays, re-write the script to be less cheesy, more grounded, more realistic (no comedy "fiddle" lines would be a good start), and re-record the voice work to fit with kiefer's more subdued, subtle, nuanced style.

or, and this is much easier for kojima and konami, keep the cheese and script as is, but bring hayter back so there is consistency once again. even if it's a secondary voice option like their silent hill HD games.

for me it's a one of the other option. if they keep this mix of styles that clash with each other on a consistent basis, then i honestly don't think i'll be able to enjoy the story of phantom pain, and it may be the very first MGS games i skip cutscenes for.

Agree and as I said a few pages back, having all the anime actors doing lines with Sutherland is.... well as of now, its "off"

am i the only one who misses the old item and weapons equipment systems?
i dont like picking up random guns, it makes them feel less special as items. i prefer how the older games work where you get to x point in the game and you can find y gun. and then you have it forever
and i would much prefer it holding a d-pad direction was the equivalent of R2 in older games. it pauses the action and brings up a list of all your weapons which you can just scroll through.
i'm super tired of every game doing the whole "you can have 1 big gun and 1 secondary gun" nonsense. and you toggle them by hidding up or down on the d-pad

this is the one thing that didnt feel like mgs at all to me. everything else about the controls and gameplay feels like a really good evolution of mgs3

You're not alone.

I don't like the new menus, UI etc.

jett

D-Member
After playing MGS3 over the last dew days, I certainly don't miss those fucking menus, or having to go to the main menu to equip/unequip shit. I much prefer the streamlined nature of MGSV.

And having literally hundreds of weapons at your disposal in MGS4 pretty much breaks the game(nevermind the whole Drebin bullshit). The weapon limit really works in MGSV since weapons are scattered around the base, a single unified environment, and gives you a reason to explore and/or interrogate to find out were weapon caches are.

cackhyena

The open world design, coupled with way less rigid control scheme make me honestly never want to touch the older ones again. Watches a speed run of 3 recently and that's good enough. I played a shit ton back in the day, but the brain dead AI, the more corridor like sections loading into the next, endless menus...I'm glad to leave behind.

Zen

Banned
I dislike the low weapon count. I mean, I think it will improve with mother base and you likely being able to choose load-outs pre mission, but why should not I be able to have empty magazine clips and smoke grenades. Or at least three main weapons. It feels a little limiting sometimes. I am never going to bother getting real handgun if I have the MK 22 hush puppy, I mean why would I ever swap that weapon out completely, but GZ forces you to if you want another handgun.

Timeaisis

I dislike the low weapon count. I mean, I think it will improve with mother base and you likely being able to choose load-outs pre mission, but why should not I be able to have empty magazine clips and smoke grenades. Or at least three main weapons. It feels a little limiting sometimes. I am never going to bother getting real handgun if I have the MK 22 hush puppy, I mean why would I ever swap that weapon out completely, but GZ forces you to if you want another handgun.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of one handgun. Especially when most of players are going to want to use the tranq the entire game. Ideally, they should allow for carrying 2 handguns so I can have my tranq/1911 combo back.

I don't mind the two "primary" weapons though, to be honest. Though, "primary" isn't a good word. I use the tranq the most.

Branson

The open world design, coupled with way less rigid control scheme make me honestly never want to touch the older ones again. Watches a speed run of 3 recently and that's good enough. I played a shit ton back in the day, but the brain dead AI, the more corridor like sections loading into the next, endless menus...I'm glad to leave behind.

I think brain dead is selling them a little short. They are still ok. Not as good as GZ by any means but they are fine. I need to go back and play 1-3 again. The menus I can get used to but it's just a different experience I guess. They are games of their time as much as they were ahead of it.

cackhyena

I think brain dead is selling them a little short. They are still ok. Not as good as GZ by any means but they are fine. I need to go back and play 1-3 again. The menus I can get used to but it's just a different experience I guess. They are games of their time as much as they were ahead of it.
They are, you're right. I loved them back in the day. 3 is still one of my favorite games. Could not go back, though. Not now.

The idea of this strat is good but the execution flawed, the alert prevents S-rank. You need to take out the three sentries around you before firing the sniper rifle.

Yeah, though one thing I took from the vid (which should have been obvious to me) is to take that road rather than extract via helicopter. Right now I can S rank on hard in about 3:55. That road escape could shave a few seconds off.

mattp

After playing MGS3 over the last dew days, I certainly don't miss those fucking menus, or having to go to the main menu to equip/unequip shit. I much prefer the streamlined nature of MGSV.

And having literally hundreds of weapons at your disposal in MGS4 pretty much breaks the game(nevermind the whole Drebin bullshit). The weapon limit really works in MGSV since weapons are scattered around the base, a single unified environment, and gives you a reason to explore and/or interrogate to find out were weapon caches are.

im not a fan of the huge gun count in mgs4 either
i was referring to mgs3 and earlier

where you the weapons are treated as special items instead of random item drops from enemies

and then having all those weapons in your arsenal at all times so you could switch things up if you wanted.
1 machine gun + 1 hand gun where you toggle between them on the d-pad is so fucking tired. every game does it and this is an area where mgs could stick to it's roots instead of following current trends and i think it would be beneficial

Still 1 XOF patch left. Gonna try one last time to find it. These fuckers are so tiny, and they are not in corners like collectibles usually are. Am I the only idiot who tried to find them without a guide?

cackhyena

Still 1 XOF patch left. Gonna try one last time to find it. These fuckers are so tiny, and they are not in corners like collectibles usually are. Am I the only idiot who tried to find them without a guide?
I did for while, but when I finally looked, there were two I never would have found on my own.

There is one really obscure patch that you'd probably need a guide to find.

Need one more achievement for my 1000GS, but I really can't be arsed with all the trials though.

Yeah, though one thing I took from the vid (which should have been obvious to me) is to take that road rather than extract via helicopter. Right now I can S rank on hard in about 3:55. That road escape could shave a few seconds off.

I didnt even know you could run off the map to finish!

This f'ing game....

JayEH

Hey I'm in a weird situation. When going for the cassette tapes, I would play a mission, find the tape then quit once I got to a checkpoint.

So I do this for the Eliminate Renegade Threat mission, beat the mission on normal and hard, s rank both, and do all the trials. But it stills says I'm missing one unlock. Is that last unlock the tape? Did I screw up?

Please tell me I missed something and didn't break the completion counter lol.

I think this is one of the things I most liked about V. The game doesn't feel like a chore to play now.

Top Bottom