• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

Ishida

Banned
13195124205_764db847cc_o.png

Dat (flat) ass.

Old Snake still has the best Snake ass.

raven777

I am intending to play GZ first, and play Peace Walker later. How much of Peace Walker am I going to get spoiled?

What I know about Peace Walker is: [peace walker spoiler]
Chico and Paz are characters that appear in PW and Paz seem like antagonist/spy who is against Snake.(not even sure if its correct)

SJRB

Gold Member
Moar screens (all PS3)

More here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/adelgary/sets/72157642441511583/with/13195393554/

I really wish the game wasn't sub-HD.

The CQC flowchart makes my head hurt, haha!

I am intending to play GZ first, and play Peace Walker later. How much of Peace Walker am I going to get spoiled?

Chico and Paz are characters that appear in PW and Paz seem like antagonist/spy who is against Snake.(not even sure if its correct)

Well Ground Zeroes literally takes place directly after Peace Walker. So not only will you miss context in GZ because you haven't finished Peace Walker, you'll have Peace Walker spoiled because, you know, GZ is a sequel.

I saw this asked a few times in the thread but might've skimmed pass the answer.

Any word if people are getting banned on live for playing this early? Or should I play it safe and turn off my wifi?

MormaPope

Banned
Hey ToraShiro, are there any plans for releasing more missions or content for Ground Zeroes as time passes? Given the current structure and design for the game mission packs or new features being added would make a lot of sense.

Also will there be daily or weekly challenges?

I saw this asked a few times in the thread but might've skimmed pass the answer.

Any word if people are getting banned on live for playing this early? Or should I play it safe and turn off my wifi?

We're only looking out for streamers and people posting video content before March 18th. While we can't officially condone playing the game before street date, please enjoy to your heart's content. :)

raven777

Hey ToraShiro, are there any plans for releasing more missions or content for Ground Zeroes as time passes? Given the current structure and design for the game mission packs or new features being added would make a lot of sense.

Also will there be daily or weekly challenges?

pretty sure Kojima said they won't be adding any DLC mission stuff to GZ because that would take time and interrupt TPP development.

This was asked of Kojima in the Twitch interview, he answered that although he'd love to, but since they're busy with The Phantom Pain it is doubtful and there are currently no plans to release more missions/DLC for GZ.

Edit: beaten.

Mumford

Kinda crazy to still see the MGS fanbase still debating the whole Hayter/Sutherland thing. Oh well.

Anyways, I'm interested in hopping into Metal Gear but I'm curious about some things. I'll probably just pick up the MGS Legacy Collection on PS3 & then MGS GZ on PS4.

I get that I should probably play the games in order of release (1 on Vita,2,3, PW[before or after 4/is it necessary?]4, & GZ is what I plan on.)

Anyways, are any of the games particularly hard? I'm not the greatest at stealth but I'll attempt to play it through stealthily anyways. It'd seem kinda odd to go guns blazing in these games even if possible. Also, about how much time should I expect to put into each game? One last thing, is MGS4 really as bad as some say?

Maybe I'll actually finally be able to have an opinion on the Hayter/Kiefer transition as well as other Metal Gear related matters.

Codiox

I'd suggest MGS3, but if you're ok with Ground Zeroes then you shouldn't be too bothered by the full MGSV.

But I would play MGS3 for the background it provides.

What about the other parts? Are MGS 1,2 and 4 irrelevant for the story of 5?

Alienous

What about the other parts? Are MGS 1,2 and 4 irrelevant for the story of 5?

Only MGS3 and another game called Peace Walker take place before. But there's a thing in Ground Zeroes that retells the events of Peace Walker with comic visuals.

If you can play MGS3, try to. Don't worry about the other parts, as far as the story is concerned. MGS3 is one of the greatest games of all time anyway, but more importantly it'll help you understand the motivations and characters in Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain.

Tucah

you speak so well
Kinda crazy to still see the MGS fanbase still debating the whole Hayter/Sutherland thing. Oh well.

Anyways, I'm interested in hopping into Metal Gear but I'm curious about some things. I'll probably just pick up the MGS Legacy Collection on PS3 & then MGS GZ on PS4.

I get that I should probably play the games in order of release (1 on Vita,2,3, PW[before or after 4/is it necessary?]4, & GZ is what I plan on.)

Anyways, are any of the games particularly hard? I'm not the greatest at stealth but I'll attempt to play it through stealthily anyways. It'd seem kinda odd to go guns blazing in these games even if possible. Also, about how much time should I expect to put into each game? One last thing, is MGS4 really as bad as some say?

Maybe I'll actually finally be able to have an opinion on the Hayter/Kiefer transition as well as other Metal Gear related matters.

1. PW was released after 4 and it is definitely necessary
2. I don't think they're especially difficult, I'm not great at stealth but I was able to complete them all playing the game mostly stealthy. A couple bosses might be a pain but they're manageable.
3. MGS1 is probably about 10-12 hours long, MGS2 about 15, MGS3/PW/4 15-20.
4. I think MGS4 is great but you'll see varying opinions, it's very divisive.

DryvBy

Story help. I haven't touched MGS in a while and I really don't remember everything that happened.

Is MGS V featuring Solid Snake or Big Boss? He looks like Big Boss.

Codiox

Only MGS3 and another game called Peace Walker take place before. But there's a thing in Ground Zeroes that retells the events of Peace Walker with comic visuals.

If you can play MGS3, try to. Don't worry about the other parts, as far as the story is concerned. MGS3 is one of the greatest games of all time anyway, but more importantly it'll help you understand the motivations and characters in Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain.

Alright thanks! Whats the definite version of MGS3? The HD remake for xbox360?

Ishida

Banned
One last thing, is MGS4 really as bad as some say?

That's a dangerous question around here due to the very vocal MGS4 haters. I'd recommend you play it by yourself and check if you like it or not. Check the reviews and see if it goes your way, and give it a try.

B.K.

If you've watched the Ground Zeroes trailers, you've already spoiled Peace Walker's ending.

Spaghetti

A Hitman Absolution style mission generator would've been cool.

"Kill _____" -> "Collect tape" -> "Escape on foot".

With parameters for not getting seen, day/night parameters etc.
if i remember rightly kojima did say something about players being able to create missions in the phantom pain... this was some time ago though, and it may have been dropped.

playing them in release order is optimal, playing in the order of the canon is the worst way to do it because you don't get a sense of progression in the game mechanics and a lot of context is lost in the story because for the most part the prequel games (3/pw/gz) link forwards into 1/2/4.

are they hard? well, 1-4 have difficulty settings that go as low as very easy for some, so you'll be fine if you stick to the lower tiers for your first playthroughs. peace walker has a difficulty rank based on mission. the story missions aren't massively hard but you need to pay some attention to the base micromanagement to level your research teams up and produce better weaponry.

as for mgs4 being bad... it's polarising. you might like it, you might not. from a gameplay perspective it's pretty enjoyable in acts 1, 2, and parts of 4. act 1 and 2 are pretty much the progenitor of the open plan gameplay of ground zeroes.

if you really want to get going quickly though? read the backstory option in the ground zeroes menu, then just play ground zeroes and fill the time waiting for the phantom pain with the older games.

That's a dangerous question around here due to the very vocal MGS4 haters. I'd recommend you play it by yourself and check if you like it or not. Check the reviews and see if it goes your way, and give it a try.
I really like MGS 4. I say give it a try, its a great game definitely different from the usual action games.

Betty

Banned
Does anyone know which current gen version is better 360 or ps3. I don't wanna wait till i buy a next gen console to play it and that probably wont happen for a year or more.

Saved data can be transferred from PS3 > PS4 and from 360 > Xbone, so depending on which console you are more likelier to buy you might want to buy it's last gen equivalent.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
One last thing, is MGS4 really as bad as some say?
By "Some" you mean GAF?
It won GOTY twice here, MGS4 has a love/hate relationship with its fans, you need to meet peoples opinions in the middle and decide on you own. either way Its a game you must play
What you love and hate about it is down to you.
I asked Sony EU and they said they don't do pre-orders for PS4, it's just another one of those *coming soon* features.
They also Don't do store updates and organisation of the store, still looks empty with one section ie everything.

Even Old Sanke has better face and suit in-game in MGS4. This is the biggest scam in history, even worse than all EA Argentinosaurus' excerements.

Not sure I agree (I'm always trying to erase that game from my memory), but it wouldn't surprise me. MGS4 was built from the ground up for PS3 and optimized for it. MGS5 was not, it's a multiplat.

cackhyena

The in-game suit may be debatable (In my opinion the MGS4 looks way better), but there's no contest when it comes to the face. MGS4's in-game model face looks better than Big Boss' on MGSV.
For some reason I'm only seeing one of those pics. Is that the ps3 version of BB?

MormaPope

Banned
The in-game suit may be debatable (In my opinion the MGS4 looks way better), but there's no contest when it comes to the face. MGS4's in-game model face looks better than Big Boss' on MGSV.

However, when it comes to the cinematic models, MGSV wins hands down.

You literally chose a MGS4 screenshot that hides Old Snake's face in darkness.

Ground Zeroes models look better, don't know what some of you are smoking.

My honest opinion on the Hayter/Sutherland debate. To me it seems it's a ruse from kojima similar to the mgs2 Raiden debacle. However, I think he realized that eventually big boss and solid snake will cross paths if he indeed tackles the remakes of MG1&2 so having the same voice actor for both characters makes absolutely no sense. It's pretty much a smoke screen and once Hayter is confirmed people will appreciate keifer's performance and praise jack Bauer kojima likes giving the fanbase blue balls.. And yeah I do realize the Japanese voice actor is the same but that's what I think it's gonna happen feel free to agree or disagree

Alienous

My honest opinion on the Hayter/Sutherland debate. To me it seems it's a ruse from kojima similar to the mgs2 Raiden debacle. However, I think he realized that eventually big boss and solid snake will cross paths if he indeed tackles the remakes of MG1&2 so having the same voice actor for both characters makes absolutely no sense. It's pretty much a smoke screen and once Hayter is confirmed people will appreciate keifer's performance and praise jack Bauer kojima likes giving the fanbase blue balls.. And yeah I do realize the Japanese voice actor is the same but that's what I think it's gonna happen feel free to agree or disagree

I wouldn't look into it beyond Big Boss being recast because Kiefer accepted the role.

I also wouldn't rule out David Hayter reprising the role of Solid Snake if the age works out. Kiefer isn't going to voice both characters.

EDIT:
Didn't Richard Doyle narrate the Peace Walker reveal trailer? I feel like David Hayter might've been on his way out regarding the role of Big Boss for some time now.

Top Bottom