• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

benzy

The in-game suit may be debatable (In my opinion the MGS4 looks way better), but there's no contest when it comes to the face. MGS4's in-game model face looks better than Big Boss' on MGSV.

However, when it comes to the cinematic models, MGSV wins hands down.

Mgs4 snake looks like a porcelain doll face, whether in-game or in cinematics. His facial modeling, lighting, and shading looked much better in the initial MGS4 reveal before everything got downgraded to fit the ps3 specs. MGS5 BB's face actually looks human with more realistic skin creases in comparison, again in-game or in cinematics.

MGS4.jpg

13069609363_30603c648c_o.png

Ishida

Banned
Mgs4 snake looks like a porcelain doll face, whether in-game or in cinematics. His facial modeling, lighting, and shading looked much better in the initial MGS4 reveal before everything got downgraded to fit the ps3 specs. MGS5 BB's face actually looks human with more realistic skin creases in comparison, again in-game or in cinematics.

MGS4.jpg

Read again, please.

I'm talking about the in-game models. I know that MGSV looks WAY better than MGS4 when it comes to cinematic models. The in-game model of Ground Zeroes, at least on the PS3 version, doesn't look as good as the MGS4 in-game model.

Alienous

MGS4.jpg

On the last-gen versions, I don't think the difference is too vast.

But heck, this was two generations ago (HD version capture):

Tech wizards, indeed.

Is it even confirmed that we can still do this? It seems the helicopter mechanic changed quite a bit from its initial reveal. We could drop a smoke signal and the helicopter would come in, but now it seems you can only call it to pre-determined locations on the map.

Not to mention the PS4 doesn't support mp3-format as of yet.
It's not in the Ground Zeroes scenario, as far as I can tell, but you do have flare grenades to use in order to call a chopper outside of the normal landing zones in Side Ops.

Ishida

Banned
As I said, "in-game or cinematics." ;)

Yeah, but you posted screenshots of the cinematic models, which show, as I stated before, that MGSV's models looks way better.

I posted screenshots of direct gameplay models, and to be honest the MGSV Snake in-game model doesn't look very good compared to the MGS4 in-game model.

Big Boss' in-game model on MGSV looks more like a plastic doll than Old Snake does in MGS4.

Spaghetti

The in-game suit may be debatable (In my opinion the MGS4 looks way better), but there's no contest when it comes to the face. MGS4's in-game model face looks better than Big Boss' on MGSV.
how about not using a picture where a strong light source is directly on big boss' face and washing out the shading on the model? a very disingenuous comparison, but even then you can see big boss has a more realistic facial structure and the facial texture looks less flat than the one on mgs4 snake's face.

there's no real debate to be had though. snake's face in mgs4 was the result of traditional design then creation in 3d rendering software. big boss' face in mgsv was the result of photo compositing (similar to how valve created gordon freeman for half life 2 but with the use of 3d scanning). the mgsv model is better because it's a scanned real life asset... sorta.

I can't seem to find any information in my search. Any idea when we'll be able to get the digital version on PS4? I'd like to take advantage of the spend 60 get 10 back deal by Tuesday.

Any information would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ishida

Banned
His skin looks flat and shiny. So I can see why someone would think that.

The MGSV last-gen facial model doesn't seem that far improved. Probably animates better though.

We seriously need more direct-feed screenshots of in-game models closeups of both last gen, and current gen versions of MGSV.

MormaPope

Banned
Yeah, but you posted screenshots of the cinematic models, which show, as I stated before, that MGSV's models looks way better.

I posted screenshots of direct gameplay models, and to be honest the MGSV Snake in-game model doesn't look very good compared to the MGS4 in-game model.

Big Boss' in-game model on MGSV looks more like a plastic doll than Old Snake does in MGS4.

Its the opposite man. Look at the wrinkles and indentations on Big Boss's face compared to Old Snake's/MGS1 Snake's polished plastic face. Something looking really clean and sharp doesn't equal looking more realistic or artistically palatable.

Old Snake has the face of a young adult texture wise minus some wrinkles here and there.

Spaghetti

Wow, calm down... Post a better screenshot, and prove me wrong, then.
you're pretty set on what you think is right so there's not much point in me posting something as subjective as a picture.

however if you want me to go into some technical detail, old snake's face looks... designed. that's because it is. big boss has a more organic face because of the photo compositing. it's not going to look 1:1 with a human because it's still a video game running in real time on limited hardware, but it looks a lot more like an actual human being than old snake.

even from the washed out shot you posted you can tell that the face texture on big boss is better. mgs4 snake's wrinkles were practically carved into the model because of the lack of convincing texture work. even on the high res promotional picture of the mgs4 snake model you posted you can see that the wrinkles around the eyes, the cheeks, and the chin are part of the model itself, whereas the similar details on the washed out mgsv model are at the point where you can't pinpoint what's the model and what's the texture.

there's no subtlety in the mgs4 snake model's features. they're exaggerated.

benzy

Well, here's a direct frontal view of that young mgs4 snake model. I still stand by my opinion. :p I much prefer the skin shaders, textures, and lighting in GZ. The hair dithering is pretty bad though...

2891874981_136ff400d9_o.jpg

Compared to BB

13195057675_71d0edb981_b.jpg

MGS4.jpg

I have seen some many people claiming this over and over again, but where is the infamous "initial" reveal trailer/footage/images? i can't seem to find it to make a comparison.

Was there any truth to that report that the sky is different in the PS4 version? It runs some kind of "real world" sky effect that emulates real cloud effects or something?

Didn't Kojima say that?

dc89

Was there any truth to that report that the sky is different in the PS4 version? It runs some kind of "real world" sky effect that emulates real cloud effects or something?

Didn't Kojima say that?

Yes. It has some sort of atmospheric simulation.
It's a very faithful recreation of the sky found in that kinda climate. I posted a fee pictures of the sky when I was in the Caribean and Rhodes.

I need enemy visual cones in my MGS. So hard to tell if they can see you or not.

And yeah not feeling Keifer. I expect Hayter to be in Phantom Pain in some way.

Is there anyway to pre-order and download the digital version on PS4? I'd like to be able to play it as soon as it's launched.

And any word on how big the download will be?

Wasn't a big thing about MGS4 being that it used the same Snake model for cinematics as well as for gameplay? Personally, I think that the PS3 version of GZ Big Boss versus MGS4 Solid leaves Solid as victor in hair, polys, and some parts of his textures. However, the shaders at work on BB's face on GZ make it very close.

-Winnie-

Didn't Richard Doyle narrate the Peace Walker reveal trailer? I feel like David Hayter might've been on his way out regarding the role of Big Boss for some time now.

It would be strange if this was true... I'm playing through Peace Walker now, and David Hayter's got a lot of exposure and HEAPS of voice work due to the cassette tapes in the game. His name appears several times in various credits with pride, so it doesn't make sense that they wanted him out that early.

Maybe doing all that voice recording for the tapes pushed his limit and Kojima wasn't satisfied with the work? I have no idea, delving into the "why" of this situation just hurts my head.

We seriously need more direct-feed screenshots of in-game models closeups of both last gen, and current gen versions of MGSV.

I could provide as much screens as you want from the PS3 version... but it all looks pretty much the same in the first mission outdoors (dark and wet). If only I can finish this damned mission, but I keep getting my ass handed down to me :(

I need enemy visual cones in my MGS. So hard to tell if they can see you or not.

I'm feeling your pain.

And to think I was pissed off that you couldn't select Hard difficulty from the start... haha.

I'd like to ask for some strategic help without exposing myself to spoilers, but not sure how to do it. I watched a bit of two playthroughs of the first mission on youtube, and they both tackled the part where I am stuck in the same way, but the thing is there's a limited time opportunity to do something and I missed it. So I need to restart the whole mission from the beginning to do "the easy route", and I'm not keen on restarting now.

Anyway, here are some new shots I took, trying to keep them spoiler-light/free:

13200241413_44fa8ca773_o.png

13200114865_8555b86a1a_o.png

Dat Walkman

13200107735_651893dbda_o.png

Hmm. And MGSV isn't doing this?

No, as far as I can tell. I mean, just look at the difference between this

and this

It's subtle, but different. This may just be for PS3 and the PS4 version uses the same face, but I kind of doubt it. Honestly though, who is looking at Snake's face all the time? The sacrifice of absolute facial clarity is fine if we get such a fine looking game otherwise.

So, can anyone confirm that the PS3 version lets you import music? Because it looks like so far PS4's GZ cannot because of the lack of media support for the console thus far.

This image is really creeping me out. It's the dead look in his eye, almost as if he's saying he's going to hunt you down and put you in that makeshift jail cell he's squatting in front of...

He's not squating there, he's lying prone.

So, can anyone confirm that the PS3 version lets you import music? Because it looks like so far PS4's GZ cannot because of the lack of media support for the console thus far.

I haven't tried but I'm pretty sure you can. It's in the options menu and I think another GAFer confirmed it.

No, as far as I can tell.

It does.

One thing that PS4 Ground Zeroes does so well for the MGS series finally is the seamless transition between the game you play and the cutscene that you're served with. It's not obnoxious in the way that MGS4 would SWOOP the camera right back over Old Snake's shoulder in time for you to start a boss fight. It's executed very well. Can't imagine how it looks on the PS3 or 360.

Top Bottom