• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

I've just noticed that he doesn't have a strap holding his gun on, it only existed on the 2012 promo cg model.
how do you aim first person?

Press binoculars button while aiming apparently.

Not seen anyone steal a weapon yet but the game tells you to do it by holding aim during a cqc attack.

DryvBy

They don't allow platinum trophies for downloadable content games, as far as I'm aware. Ground Zeroes fits that category better than it fits being a full retail release.

Sony defines titles like Ground Zeroes as "small scope games".

Hotline Miami and Trine 2 has one.

Anung

Un Rama
Can we dial down the screenshots please? I mean, the game is short enough as it is, exploration is the only big selling point the game has left.

+1

To close to reveal now to get the majority spoiled. Plus the hype overload is upon me.

For those who have played it:

1) Are you generally enjoying it?

2) What's your ballpark idea of play time to finish the main/side missions?

3) Worth $30?

Dynamic3

Here's a stupid question:

As someone who's only played the original MGS (and back at launch at that) and who intends to purchase the Legacy Collection and complete it over the summer; will this spoil a lot for me?

deim0s

If you intend to buy it. Do it.

3) Worth $30?

Yes. And frustrating too since I keep getting alerts/fucking up and that's a good thing.

Completely finish it? Would take me weeks.

Yes

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member

As someone who's only played the original MGS (and back at launch at that) and who intends to purchase the Legacy Collection and complete it over the summer; will this spoil a lot for me?

You'll probably be lost amongst spoilers you don't really get yet. MGS is meant to be played in release order.

Only a little bit. It directly continues from Peace Walker, so there's that. Thing is, PW doesn't have a very good story, plus GZ is fairly self-contained (apart from being the MGSV prologue) so I don't think you're really losing much. I personally don't see anything particularly wrong with going for GZ first, but other purists may disagree.

SJRB

Gold Member

In terms of MGS2 and MGS4 it's highly doubtful. However, the events in Ground Zeroes require a bit of context, mostly via Peace Walker.

So it's not as much that Ground Zeroes will spoil the series for you, but more that the intricacies might get lost on you because you're not aware of the overall backstory leading up to Ground Zeroes [via MGS3 and Peace Walker]. I'd recommend at least reading an in-depth synopsis of Peace Walker.

Rootbeer

Banned
Looks like I'm in. Had a PS4 copy pre-ordered on amazon as a "maybe", shipped before I had a chance to rethink it. Oh well, I need more stuff to play on m PS4. Just hope it ends up being worth the price. I'm skeptical of an all-new game with a AAA name that's only charging 50% the usual. Hoping for more than just a "demo" experience

The fact that this game does not have a Platinum Trophy should be a sign of the content contained though... which is irritating.

To all the GAFers posting positive impressions, thanks and hope I agree.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
if the psn update takes days like last week we are all fucked :(

Amazon shipped my copy for PS4 early this morning, and I am excited. I have faith in Kojima that the game will be amazing, so I want to try to stay positive.

KOMANI

KOMANI

3) Worth $30?

1. I'm a bit disappointed. I really love the controls in MGS4, and ground zeroes feels like an extended version of Peace Walker than MGS4. There's no side jumps, no single flips off the ground. I'm not a big fan of a single button used for multiple actions (like I want to pick up the soldier's dropped weapon, but I can't because his body is over it, so I have to move his body, or trying to use the spotlight, only to jump over the watchtower).

2. I find the game easy, so maybe a few hours. It'll take me a week to finish the whole game.

3. It's worth it. It's fun.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?

3) Worth $30?

As much as I'm enjoying it, for the third question I'd have to say no, as its just too short.

Im sure its been answered, but Im not well versed in the MGS timeline, could I still enjoy the story? I mean, I've played 1 and 4, and I have read the wiki articles. So I have this general idea of whats going on with large patches missing.

The game looks great on PS4. I've had it since last week, and I still find it very impressive when I boot it up.

That said, the geometry in spots is very simple, which is a concession to the A) open world and B) last-gen hardware. Also, I didn't see Snake leave any footprints, which I found odd. Maybe, it only happens in especially muddy areas? Still odd since most of the camp is dirt terrain.

Other than that, the $20 digital and $30 physical was the right price point for this game. I'm glad Konami didn't go with the next-gen tax.

Im sure its been answered, but Im not well versed in the MGS timeline, could I still enjoy the story? I mean, I've played 1 and 4, and I have read the wiki articles. So I have this general idea of whats going on with large patches missing.

If you've never played Peace Walker especially, the story here will have little to no impact for you. It basically revolves around two of the characters from that game exclusively.

Sure, you can read the summary, but you'd have no emotional attachment to them, making the story of GZ fall flat.

kind of wish shopto would break the street date, but the earliest they usually get things out is the day before release.

I had a mail from them about 15 minutes ago telling me they were taking payment for preorders from today onwards, for dispatch on Wednesday. I only went with them as I had a stack of outstanding points on my account which made the price sub-£20. Seems like they're processing orders early, perhaps to stop folks jumping ship to competitor sites/stores?

deim0s

In GZ there's a couple of pages and tapes that could fill you in on events of PW.

Betty

Banned
iL0p8lu28qQvl.gif

cackhyena

I keep spoiling myself on these Twitch streams only to be met with people seemingly incapable of knowing how to do proper stealth. It's like they have never played MGS. I have a feeling I'll be clamoring for videos of perfect runs of this game well after I've played the crap out of it.

Erban1

I keep spoiling myself on these Twitch streams only to be met with people seemingly incapable of knowing how to do proper stealth. It's like they have never played MGS. I have a feeling I'll be clamoring for videos of perfect runs of this game well after I've played the crap out of it.

I stopped watching streams for this reason...everyone I've seen plays this like tps COD... Hopefully this actually goes up on the store tonight and I can take a first run at it...the wait is killing me.

SJRB

Gold Member
Thinking of setting up a US PSN account so I can play this game asap before it is inevitably spoiled for me while I sit around like an asshole waiting for the EU release.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
Wtf was the problem with a pre order on ps 4 jeez

3) Worth $30?

1) Yes. The best was finding a few spots where I couldn't be spotted and was able to dispose of many soldiers, haha. And boarding a tank briefly.

2) The Main Mission can be done under an hour after your first run through. Not sure how long it would take in Hard mode or how lengthy the other missions might be. I expect all the unlocks to take more than 5hrs.

3) Game play wise... I'll answer this after I complete all the unlocked material. Worth noting, I guess GZ will enable DLC for Phantom Pain and also allow you to carry over your saves.

Top Bottom