• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

KORNdoggy

bruh. you can request supply drops.

i know. but it doesn't offer the same on the fly options of a limitless inventory. if I'm surrounded by enemies and walker gears and an attack chopper that tears me a new one in a millisecond. having to call in a supply drop for a rocket launcher isn't the greatest...especially when it doesn't pause the game and takes a while to arrive.

in past games i'd just switch to the stinger missile launcher i have stored down my pants and get on with it.

returning to acc doesn't cost anything or lost progress? Well i am officially stupid!

to answer to your question don't worry about money, it's just that a developped lot of thing and i realised that i had only 100'000 left (and when i start a mission it cost me 20'000-30'000, and i want to extract a lot)

it already happened once but i quickly got back at 1,5 million with side ops etc...

Yep as long as you trigger a save (mostly by running between areas/ after missions) you can just return to acc for free and save time

Shinjica

Can you people fuck off ? Please ?

Like "hey i passed this part therefore it's not a spoiler anymore." Seriously dude.

I don't come to this thread to know about what you consider a boss fight or not and then untagged spoiler the names of the characters you fight ?!

It's my fault for coming here I guess haha ^^ .

Wait, no it's not, we have two threads and spoiler tags, no excuse :/ .

It's funny because the game itself spoil the boss fight with the credit at the start of the mission

Drencrom

Loving the game, but what the fuck is up with the credits spoiling what characters/villains/etc appear in a mission at the start of it when you are in the chopper?

I just started a story mission and it just blatantly namedrops shit I had no clue would appear in this mission, it's so fucking dumb. Isn't it enough that they have credits for fictional characters after the mission is done, at least then it makes sense to have them.

It's funny because the game itself spoil the boss fight with the credit at the start of the mission

Most people look away

And most people complain about this

Would you argue that the pre mission credits are stupid? If so you would also believe freely posting spoilers is stupid too.

Spoiler tags are so easy to use it really is just infuriating watching how many inconsiderate people spoil things out of laziness

Juicy Bob

Revenge.

It's what the FOB player vs player missions are all about.

That's the greatest example of that theme in practice.

"The chain of retaliation is what will truly bind this world together as one."

Ah! So Dave actually used an official moniker in a literal sense. Thanks for the explanation lol. I thought that the
yellow cake
was just a code name.

Yeah, I remember looking it up back in the day after seeing that skit. haha.
It is mixed with some powder that gives it a yellow color which is where the name comes from if I remember right.

Again, are mission numbers random ? Because someone post about mission 41 stuff which I've done and I click on it and I read a fucking spoiler. What the fuck is up with that ? Happend the third or forth time now and I am getting sick of it.

SomTervo

I'm not sure if I actually feel like the cutscene distribution explains it all. I actually think there are less cutscenes in MGSV. But I'd need to finish it to say for sure.

The only thing it would take for me to feel certainly "classic" would be more scripted story events at certain gameplay checkpoints. More real time conversation to and from mission points. More set pieces, like hiding amongst an army as they hear a speech from a commander (a la Dolph in MGS2).

But at the same time, that would sacrifice the purity of the open world, real time emergence, wouldn't it?

I'm okay with MGSV being its own thing. But I do think the story is spectacularly non-structured, considering the source. Seems like there is less story, and it's a reaction to the excess of MGS4. I kind of like it for now, though there is potential for story growth in this gameplay formula (alas, Konami).

I think I agree on the whole, but I disagree a bit re having more structure story/cutscene points. I feel the best solution would have been for Snake to talk more, even if only in more linear story missions (eg 29-31, 6, 12-13).

Imho if Snake talked more, commenting on what he was seeing and experiencing, I think that would fill the void of 'Metal Gear' in the game. It would truly make it like we were playing one of Kojima's cutscenes, rather than just playing Snake-less, story-less gameplay a lot of the time.

Edit: for example, imagine in Mission 31:
approaching OKB Zero or whatever, and Snake going: 'Lots of heavy arms around here. Any intel on Skullface's location?' Then when we get near the helipad, Snake goes: 'I see the target. He's on the helipad. Approaching target now' or something.
Literally just sporadic lines from Snake that would put us in his shoes more.

I love the game but it feels like this aspect is at war with itself, a little.

Hasney

Again, are mission numbers random ? Because someone post about mission 41 stuff which I've done and I click on it and I read a fucking spoiler. What the fuck is up with that ? Happend the third or forth time now and I am getting sick of it.

No, they're all the same for everyone. But because they can appear out of order, it may confuse people as to what mission they're talking about.

i don't think it's random, maybe he didn't remembered the right mission or he was talking about a side ops?

SomTervo

returning to acc doesn't cost anything or lost progress? Well i am officially stupid!

to answer to your question don't worry about money, it's just that a developped lot of thing and i realised that i had only 100'000 left (and when i start a mission it cost me 20'000-30'000, and i want to extract a lot)

it already happened once but i quickly got back at 1,5 million with side ops etc...

The best way of triggering a save, imo, is to 'Sort' your staff in the Staff Management tab, or send guys on a Combat Deployment.

Works 100% of the time, every time.

No, they're all the same for everyone. But because they can appear out of order, it may confuse people as to what mission they're talking about.

Then I won't read anything spoilertagged here, some people are talking about
Paz--------------
and they haven't even acknowledged
her existence
in my playthrough and I am now on mission 42.

Hasney

Paz--------------
and they haven't even acknowledged here existence in my playthrough and I am now on mission 42.
You have to go out of your way for that, it's available post that mission, but nothing in the game really hints that you could find them. I finished the whole game without seeing them.

KORNdoggy

Paz--------------
and they haven't even acknowledged
her existence
in my playthrough and I am now on mission 42.

she's hidden away in the medical base. and you are never told to go there by anyone or the story as far as i'm aware. a door just unlocks after finding one of those tweeked out MB guys. lol

she's hidden away in the medical base. and you are never told to go there by anyone or the story as far as i'm aware. a door just unlocks after finding one of those tweeked out MB guys. lol

and how do I know when I should go there and what door, have a screenshot maybe ? I have brought back like 5 or 6 ex-MB soldiers.

Fatal Error

Neo Member
Has anyone gotten an S on Mission 16? If yes tell me please how?

for mission 16
if you have Fulton that can extract trucks, enter from the door behind the building beside the truck and run to the truck, after cutscene quickly Fulton the truck, run back to the opposite side and you will find a cargo jump on it, extract it and stay on top and press Action Button (Triangle) to be extracted with it.

BadTaste

Is there any way to approach enemies slowly using a keyboard&mouse? I'm currently using a dualshock controller but miss the precision of a mouse.

Alo0oy

Banned
I think materials don't get processed while you're in the ACC, I left my PS4 on and went to work but nothing was processed.

Can anyone confirm if they get processed while you're on Motherbase, or do you need to be on the field?

duckroll

Mission 28: THIS IS WHY I PLAY METAL GEAR!!!!!!! YESSSSSS!!!!!!!!

Mission 29: FUCK THIS SHIT! *turns off the game and goes for dinner*

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

Hasney

In general though, this thread has become pretty terrible for spoilers and I feel very fortunate that I had the time off work to beat it early.

Once I get Fallout 4, I'll be in a GAF proof bunker until I'm done.

I think materials don't get processed while you're in the ACC, I left my PS4 on and went to work but nothing was processed.

Can anyone confirm if they get processed while you're on Motherbase, or do you need to be on the field?

They don't. They also don't seem to even if you sit there for an hour in the field then try to go over a checkpoint, I think you actually need to do things.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a way to check your gameplay stats? What about how many emblems you got?

the open world was a big mistake by Kojima, he should have gone with the more linear approach.

I think the Open World approach is the best thing to happen to MG. In many respects, TPP is what I've always wanted from the series.

Choomp

Banned
Loving the game, but what the fuck is up with the credits spoiling what characters/villains/etc appear in a mission at the start of it when you are in the chopper?

I just started a story mission and it just blatantly namedrops shit I had no clue would appear in this mission, it's so fucking dumb. Isn't it enough that they have credits for fictional characters after the mission is done, at least then it makes sense to have them.

Imo I really don't know why this was a necessary inclusion. Adds nothing for me besides ruining what could be somewhat of a surprise.

KORNdoggy

Thanks, will look for that. Thanks guys for pointing that out, would've thought we get a hint or something by the game.

tbh i consider it more of an easter egg then a major plot point anyway. but it is pretty stupid that it isn't actually mentioned. they could have at least shown a doors light going from red to blue to signify it's unlocked.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.

Yeah, this is some straight up bullshit. I even try not to look at them when a mission starts.

tbh i consider it more of an easter egg then a major plot point anyway. but it is pretty stupid that it isn't actually mentioned. they could have at least shown a doors light going from red to blue to signify it's unlocked.

So is there a point to visiting
Paz
or no? I went to see her the first time and she said her head hurt and laid down. Is there more after that?

Alo0oy

Banned

Mission 29 was pretty good imo. I found a good trick,
behind the chopper there's a door, open it and request supply drops there behind the green fence, then go back inside and do your thing, once you're out of rockets go through the door to pick up the ammo and request another drop.

Mission 28 was far superior though, I agree, the multiple
snipers
made it so fresh compared to previous iterations.

Mupod

I never found 29 impossible/frustrating like everyone else seems to, and I probably spent more time than most on it. I am very much a stealth/nonlethal player too.

I even beat them with stamina depletion - totally unnecessary and took forever but I got very good at fighting them.

Make a fucking LMG! Seriously. I managed to S-rank Extreme without cheese with one. Not even a high level one, just the first 7.62 one you can make.

Alo0oy

Banned
In general though, this thread has become pretty terrible for spoilers and I feel very fortunate that I had the time off work to beat it early.

Once I get Fallout 4, I'll be in a GAF proof bunker until I'm done.

They don't. They also don't seem to even if you sit there for an hour in the field then try to go over a checkpoint, I think you actually need to do things.

That kinda sucks, I have over 80k unprocessed fuel, but I can't do anything with it.

Mat-triX

I don't understand the hate for tapes. It's the same as codec conversations just without the talking heads, and the ability to listen at your own pace and/or listen to it again.

Is it just because codec's are in real time? I swear some people subconsciously think of them as cut scenes...

Alo0oy

Banned
I don't understand the hate for tapes. It's the same as codec conversations just without the talking heads, and the ability to listen at your own pace and/or listen to it again.

Is it just because codec's are in real time? I swear some people subconsciously think of them as cut scenes...

Tapes are pretty good, but in certain situations it makes more sense to have a codec conversation in real-time.

CassSept

Haha, my exact reactoin yesterday.

Use D. Walker with gattling gun

SomTervo

Tapes are pretty good, but in certain situations it makes more sense to have a codec conversation in real-time.

Yeah, I said this above somewhere.

I don't think CODEC convos are the answer, but I think Snake should have occasional back-and-forth conversations with Kaz or Ocelot.

This is proven to work immensely well in other cinematic games like Naughty Dog's ones. Snake talks far too little in this.

Nouzka

I heard there's missable cutscene with
Paz, how can I make sure I don't miss it? I've done 15 main missions, and I guess you have to collect memento photos right? I have two photos. Could someone explain it non-spoiler way.

Well, I found her, will the game tell me what do with her now ?

Alo0oy

Banned
Yeah, I said this above somewhere.

I don't think CODEC convos are the answer, but I think Snake should have occasional back-and-forth conversations with Kaz or Ocelot.

This is proven to work immensely well in other cinematic games like Naughty Dog's ones. Snake talks far too little in this.

Silent Big Boss is the crux of the problem, whether the conversation is through codec or face to face, the tapes aren't the problem, they only add to the story, silent Big Boss just doesn't fit with his character. Especially since he was always more emotional/human than Solid Snake and showed a wider range of emotions, he should take more than Solid, not less.

Jintor

Paz, how can I make sure I don't miss it? I've done 15 main missions, and I guess you have to collect memento photos right? I have two photos. Could someone explain it non-spoiler way.

you're correct.

head to the third floor of the med strut

After doing side op 51,
go to the medical platform at motherbase and go to the second floor to find an open door (blue light) it's directly above the locked door.

Kopite

Yeah, I think you've nailed it. I get impatient listening to tapes but enjoy the Codec conversations event though there's little difference between them.

KORNdoggy

So is there a point to visiting Paz or no? I went to see her the first time and she said her head hurt and laid down. Is there more after that?

each ex MB soldier you fulton you gain a momento that you can show to
paz.
i'd assume it just fixes her memory.

Well, I found her, will the game tell me what do with her now ?

nope. just keep giving her the photo's you've found when fultoning the tweeked MB soldiers.

Top Bottom