• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

I'm loving the open world, could have been better, but it still feels fresh for the series. You know what I hate? Having to wait before every mission to my chopper reaching the ground, that makes me incredibly angry, like 5 hours of this game are just you looking at mountains waiting to kick asses.

thejpfin

Mission 29 was pretty good imo. I found a good trick,

Yeah, it was great. I found a easy trick too that I used. :
Mortars, 3-5 mortar shots kills skulls. First, run to the closest (I think it was the closest) building from the Heli. Next go top of the building, there's a mortar, use it. When you are top of the building. skulls can't really come there or hit you. :p Easy.

Artex

Banned
I'm loving the open world, could have been better, but it still feels fresh for the series. You know what I hate? Having to wait before every mission to my chopper reaching the ground, that makes me incredibly angry, like 5 hours of this game are just you looking at mountains waiting to kick asses.

Personally I love that shit. Feels awesome rolling in and deploying. You feel like you've arrived somewhere, you feel alone and vulnerable once you're out, etc.
Then again that's the whole fucking point of it.

Chariot

Anyone knows when the captured FOB soldiers get out of the brig? I almost got 300 now that do nothing :(
FB35321BC450BE6C4E058B243869B21A40000A8B

Three unit platforms have a 3rd deck. Still have ways to go for the other three since I don't have enough fuel resources to cover one deck. And the quantities required to construct a 4th deck....goddamn. You'll definitely need a FOB or two. As for my current staff, I managed to reach 500 soldiers (that includes 30+ soldiers in the waiting room)

I don't understand the hate for tapes. It's the same as codec conversations just without the talking heads, and the ability to listen at your own pace and/or listen to it again.

Is it just because codec's are in real time? I swear some people subconsciously think of them as cut scenes...

I like listening to the tapes, but over time they kinda become the lame audio logs you find in any other game. It's usually one person recording themselves. Or it's Ocelot/Kaz talking at Snake with the latter barely speaking at all. There's no back and forth flow you'd find like in past codecs. If Snake talked more, then it would help. And if it's Ocelot talking with Kaz, it's always just "We should do thing!" "NO! We shouldn't! We should kill Quiet" It doesn't help that their voices sound so similar. Considering how much we hear them speak outside of the tapes, listening to their tapes can get quite tiresome, even if they are explaining answers to interesting questions. And holy shit the Code Talker tapes. There is one that lasts 10 minutes and I cannot listen to 10 minutes of
"Vocal Chord Parasites, wolbachia, Dine, Bilgaana, Male to Female!"

The tapes that you get for
beating the game
are more of what I wanted out them. The ones involving
Zero
especially reminded me more of Codec conversations and cutscenes more than any other tape you get before that point.

Nouzka

you're correct.

head to the third floor of the med strut

After doing side op 51,
go to the medical platform at motherbase and go to the second floor to find an open door (blue light) it's directly above the locked door.

Yes I have already done that and got that cutscene, so after that there isn't missable cutscene? I misunderstood that like at the end of the game or something if you haven't done enough with with her (collecting memento photos maybe?), you will miss another scene.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Mission 31+ spoilers (or more just thoughts):
What the fuck is with this story. It's so bizarre, because this game did not need to be structured into two chapters or whatever. I've had a new cutscene or a new something along with massive exposition dumps in tapes upon every return to base. And while the missions are simple they've got more interesting context than "go kill/extract this soldier man/prisoner". It's bizarre really. Chapter 2 is far denser with actual plot development than Chapter 1, but for what seems to be no reason. This is especially true with the paranoia themes. All of this content should have been integrated into the first chapter, as one larger narrative.

brinstar

Wow, there's a cutscene when you meet
Eli
that just didn't happen on my game at all. Maybe cause I already alerted the base when I found him?

Yes I have already done that and got that cutscene, so after that there isn't missable cutscene? I misunderstood that like at the end of the game or something if you haven't done enough with with her (collecting memento photos maybe?), you will miss another scene.

Everytime you get a photo go visit her and interact (she'll do a small speech and sometimes you get a tape) I've only done 8 of them so far (I think there's 10 total) so I can comment anything past that sorry.

Eli
that just didn't happen on my game at all. Maybe cause I already alerted the base when I found him?

Do you have a link to the scene? I've seen this mentioned alot but I alerted the base but still got a cut scene when I got to
him
. Just wandering if you guys are talking about a different one.

each ex MB soldier you fulton you gain a momento that you can show to
paz.
i'd assume it just fixes her memory.

nope. just keep giving her the photo's you've found when fultoning the tweeked MB soldiers.

Wait, there are photos on the ground ?
I gave her one photo and now she is sleeping.

Edit: or is it just on missions that I get from now on ?

Window

Eli

I didn't get one either. I had the base on alert too.

What the fuck is with this story. It's so bizarre, because this game did not need to be structured into two chapters or whatever. I've had a new cutscene or a new something along with massive exposition dumps in tapes upon every return to base. And while the missions are simple they've got more interesting context than "go kill/extract this soldier man/prisoner". It's bizarre really. Chapter 2 is far denser with actual plot development than Chapter 1, but for what seems to be no reason. This is especially true with the paranoia themes. All of this content should have been integrated into the first chapter, as one larger narrative.
The narrative structure is a total mess no doubt. Despite all that, I don't think I've enjoyed playing a MGS game this much.

KorrZ

Mission 30 spoilers:
Did anyone else find the use of Sins of the Father here a little weird? Don't get me wrong, it's an amazing song and I loved it because of that but it seemed a bit anti-climactic to use such a song on a scene of Big Boss and Skullface sitting silently in a jeep lol.

each ex MB soldier you fulton you gain a momento that you can show to
paz.
i'd assume it just fixes her memory.

nope. just keep giving her the photo's you've found when fultoning the tweeked MB soldiers.

Thanks. I've captured several MB soldiers so I'm assuming I'll have to leave and return to MB several times? I can't just walk outside and walk back in?

Dude, fucking mark that shit as a spoiler.

Sorry. Fixed.
She was in the trailers for the game.
*shrug*

Mission 30 spoilers:
Did anyone else find the use of Sins of the Father here a little weird? Don't get me wrong, it's an amazing song and I loved it because of that but it seemed a bit anti-climactic to use such a song on a scene of Big Boss and Skullface sitting silently in a jeep lol.

This whole scene was awkward lol,
once skull face stop talking
. And yea this music is cool but a bit out of place here.

Mission 30 spoilers:

Yeah, we've had a discussion on it a few times now. It's a hilariously awkward moment.

This whole scene was awkward lol,
once skull face stop talking
. And yea this music is cool but a bit out of place here.

I thought the game glitched lol. Especially because at the very end of the ride, he leans forwards as if to say something else and his mouth opens and then it fades out.

Maybe they were going to kiss.

What ground ?
When I gave her the photos they appear on the wall on the next visit.

I don't know, I met her the first time and it tiggered the cut scene with miller and ocelot and then I gave her a photo and she fell asleep. I think I just will do the MB soldier missions and then come back.

Hasney

Anyone knows when the captured FOB soldiers get out of the brig? I almost got 300 now that do nothing :(

Gotta wait until the retaliation wormhole is closed so they can't come steal them back. I think that's mostly 7 days, but a couple of my invasions were 30.

brinstar

Do you have a link to the scene? I've seen this mentioned alot but I alerted the base but still got a cut scene when I got to
him
. Just wandering if you guys are talking about a different one.

There's a small fight scene in this video (be careful, the sidebar of recommended videos is a minefield of spoilers)

I dunno if there's another one when they meet, but I got nothing. When I found
Eli
, it just went straight into combat mode.

Also something I thought was funny was randomly during the fight he shouted
"IT'S NOT OVER YET, SNAKE"
(making it obvious who he is) but then I just thought, 'wait how does he know my name?'

Lol last night I got an alert that someone was infiltrating my FOB, so I dropped everything and got there asap. Dropped in and found the guy almost immediately. He was running in circles as a bunch of my security staff were lighting him up with assault rifles. I just sat back and watched it play out lol.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
So guys, I've ordered the game but haven't received it yet.
I was playing Ground Zeroes yesterday to warm up but I find it a little "meh"...not bad, gameplay is really good and the graphics are nice and fluid, but maybe I expected a little more, since it's just taking a few soldiers down and interrogating them.
Should I be worried?

Hasney

Lol last night I got an alert that someone was infiltrating my FOB, so I dropped everything and got there asap. Dropped in and found the guy almost immediately. He was running in circles as a bunch of my security staff were lighting him up with assault rifles. I just sat back and watched it play out lol.

Yeah, most of the people who have invaded me that I've seen aren't what you would class as intelligent lol.

Had a really tense 15 minute battle this morning though with a really good attacker. Was causing diversions and managing to sneak through. Just caught his head popping over one of the fixtures though.

Rockets for defence are way too OP and should be banned. But until they are, I'm of course going to use full force.

why am i fultoning mortars and machine guns and the like?

will my staff use them if im invaded?

Yes. You could also use them if you jump in. You can also sell them.

Finalow

mission 31+ spoilers.

I'd like to know why
Kaz is blind, lol. sucks that he didn't lost his voice too.

chapter 1 ended,
Skull Face ended.
I think he had more character development in GZ than the actual game. honestly that whole ending was pretty bad. maybe chapter 2 will deliver something more interesting.

also, is Huey legit brain damaged? After that "VENGEANCE YAAAY" he's either that or some people need to learn how to write decent characters.

Juicy Bob

Going into a base or outpost, picking off all the soldiers silently until they're all 'ZZZed' and then filling my boots with soldiers, equipment, resources, ammo, weapons and vehicles hasn't stopped getting boring yet.

Carbonox

Oh yeah I think my mission 24 is glitched. There is a side task in it where you need to pick up 4 containers from the outpost in the north and there are only 2 or - when I go back now - none. Anyone know what's up? How do I regenerate them?

Mentioning this again - hopefully someone knows what's up.

I'm gonna be pissed if I can't finish all the side tasks now because of some dumb glitch after all this time.

SomTervo

Silent Big Boss is the crux of the problem, whether the conversation is through codec or face to face, the tapes aren't the problem, they only add to the story, silent Big Boss just doesn't fit with his character. Especially since he was always more emotional/human than Solid Snake and showed a wider range of emotions, he should take more than Solid, not less.

Yeah, I think I agree with this.

It would only work if they explained why he spoke less – IRL people experience a lot of big problems after being in comas or receiving head traumas. Including silence/cognitive problems with speaking where they can't speak or need lots of therapy.

But as it is... Snake can clearly speak fine, he just... Doesn't.

brinstar

It's weird too cause I got to the mission where you meet
Code Talker
last night and Snake spoke a lot in that scene, but in others he just has nothin' to say.

Real Hero

Yeah, I think I agree with this.

It would only work if they explained why he spoke less – IRL people experience a lot of big problems after being in comas or receiving head traumas. Including silence/cognitive problems with speaking where they can't speak or need lots of therapy.

But as it is... Snake can clearly speak fine, he just... Doesn't.

Because he's already a demon and the phantom pain etc etc

ced

I'm up to episode 21 and while it's certainly improved based on unlocking new stuff, it's still such a mess. I feel like there have been only 6 or so significant, somewhat unique episodes out of 20, the rest of filler junk.

It has its moments of greatness though, and even with all the filler and mess it's the best stealth game I've ever played, and I've played most of them.

I had an incredible ending to a mission where your tailing a guy that changes vehicles, then are supposed to kill the guy he meets with.

Well after finding the meet spot, which is covered in guards I finally get a lock on the guy and he has like A+ skills and I thought to myself I really need to capture him. I completely fucked that next move up and next thing I know there is what seems like 10 guys firing at me. I run and and hide to buy myself a minute to regroup and debate reloading the checkpoint.

Meanwhile my mark is loading up in the 4x4 and starting to drive off. I then pulled off the most amazing sniper shot on a moving target and completed the objective. Problem now is there is a 10+ guys on my ass to kill, and a chopper is heading in for some action. Managed to kill them all while running out of ammo several times and swapping to dropped weapons, then the gunship is firing at me. I played ring around the rock pile, dodging gunfire and missiles while I called in a shitty basic rocket launcher. That lands, I equip it then pull off another lucky ass rocket shot that downs the gunship.

It was really amazing, thankfully I didn't reload my checkpoint.

Mupod

I don't know, it feels like this structure makes sense to me as 'post-game content', although it isn't really.
Storywise you no longer have that clear objective to work toward, you got your revenge and the big bad is dead. So it becomes more about the day-to-day happenings, 'putting out fires' if you will. The extreme/subsistence/total stealth missions are something you'd expect to see pop up as an additional activity after the end credits, but since the story keeps going they put people off.

I'm glad I've been listening to the tapes religiously
as the behaviour of Mantis and Skull Face in 31 is what really confused the hell out of me. But they explain it pretty well, maybe it only seems logical to me because I've got my Metal Gear Goggles on.

I'm definitely starting to get over the game as it becomes more grindy/repetitive and don't get me wrong I wish every single mission was like 30. But I'm not about to get on the shit on chapter 2 bandwagon just yet.

Steroyd

Oh my gawd, D Dog just went to D God tier just got an upgrade that lets him
fulton people
, laying waste to outposts and then just letting him clean up is awesome and it doesn't use my resources either.

MrS

Banned
Mentioning this again - hopefully someone knows what's up.

I'm gonna be pissed if I can't finish all the side tasks now because of some dumb glitch after all this time.
Containers and all resources just take time to repopulate in the open world. Move on and come back to it later.

Oh my gawd, D Dog just went to D God tier just got an upgrade that lets him
fulton people
, laying waste to outposts and then just letting him clean up is awesome and it doesn't use my resources either.

Wait wait wait....D Dog can Fulton people too?? I have him up to being able to use a stun knife. Is that next?

Since I have the wormhole Fulton, does this mean D Dog will have it as well? Lmao.

Top Bottom