• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Mupod

Oh my gawd, D Dog just went to D God tier just got an upgrade that lets him
fulton people
, laying waste to outposts and then just letting him clean up is awesome and it doesn't use my resources either.

okay I need that in my life. How?

Quiet seems ridiculously OP. I alerted an outpost and shit hit the fan, but not for long because she started dropping fools left and right while I ran around panicking.

Late D-Walker development spoiler:
He gets a shoulder cannon that fires a little bomb that stuns enemies and immediately fultons them, and through a wormhole if you have that as well. It's slow to fire, has limited ammo and difficult to aim from a distance (plus you can't get more than an A-rank), but it makes many side-ops stupidly easy. You can stand on a nearby hill and extract a target from like 100m away if your aim is good.

Randam

I don't understand the hate for tapes. It's the same as codec conversations just without the talking heads, and the ability to listen at your own pace and/or listen to it again.

Is it just because codec's are in real time? I swear some people subconsciously think of them as cut scenes...

at your own pace?
you can fast forward and rewind, yes, but in the old games, you could click through codec conversations and read through them way quicker.
can't do that here.

then you can't even really do anything, when listning to them, because Kaz will always interupte you with some stupid shit.

yes, I know that the black carrot is an ancestor to the domestic carrot.
you told me at least 100 times by now..

MrS

Banned
Wait wait wait....D Dog can Fulton people too?? I have him up to being able to use a stun knife. Is that next?

Since I have the wormhole Fulton, does this mean D Dog will have it as well? Lmao.
Wormhole, stun knife D-Dog and level 2 suppressors render everything Easy Mode, don't they? I'm doing all of the mission tasks now with those, AND the
Raiden outfit AND full stealth camo

Guess Who

Banned
at your own pace?
you can fast forward and rewind, yes, but in the old games, you could click through codec conversations and read through them way quicker.
can't do that here.

then you can't even really do anything, when listning to them, because Kaz will always interupte you with some stupid shit.

During conversation tapes, the fast forward button skips to the next dialogue line, so you can use it to read the whole tape quickly just like skimming through codec dialogue.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
2015-09-0914_46_11-nelhrg8.png

Has anyone compiled a decent guide which shows what you unlock at each unit rank?

I am curious what the support and Intel units unlock over time. I barely ever find decent soldiers for these units

at your own pace?
can't do that here.

you know if you tap << / >> on the tapes they actually skip one sentence forward / backwards - it works if you have subtitles on, then you can pretty much read the entire thing in an instant if you don't want to listen.

Randam

Nice and easy way to do the Wandering soldier side ops. (side ops spoiler obviously)
https://youtu.be/NqrkrAJxnBg

Not that this side ops is any difficult...but nice touch.

neat stuff, but a tranq bullet to the head from your sniper should be way quicker.

and man, Kaz' asking "he is coming too?", or "you gonna extract him" and so on, is annoying and especially here, sounds totally out of place.

Kaz: "hey, one of our guys from 9 years ago. bring him home!"

you fulton him.

Kaz "he is coming too? o_O

During conversation tapes, the fast forward button skips to the next dialogue line, so you can use it to read the whole tape quickly just like skimming through codec dialogue.

really??
always hold the button down to get back to an earlier moment.

I didn't. :O

Omni

I'm only at mission 14, so keep that in mind.

I've noticed lots of people at my mother-base have had negative qualities to them. Like giving other members PTSD. Is the general idea to just get rid of and fire these people?

megalowho

Mission 31+ spoilers (or more just thoughts):
What the fuck is with this story. It's so bizarre, because this game did not need to be structured into two chapters or whatever. I've had a new cutscene or a new something along with massive exposition dumps in tapes upon every return to base. And while the missions are simple they've got more interesting context than "go kill/extract this soldier man/prisoner". It's bizarre really. Chapter 2 is far denser with actual plot development than Chapter 1, but for what seems to be no reason. This is especially true with the paranoia themes. All of this content should have been integrated into the first chapter, as one larger narrative.
I agree that it's bizarre but I find the structure a fascinating and unique choice. They save the day and get revenge, credits roll, but it's not enough and the paranoia sets in. Even if it is partially a compromise due to not having enough time to flesh Chapter 2 out further, it works for me as meaningful post game content when I wanted to jump back into the world and mess with the gameplay more anyway. And I'm always down for Kojima finding new ways to fuck with his fanbase.

Alo0oy

Banned
I've just been occasionally moving around Mother Base and that seems to work, just got a bunch more resources!

Oh, so you only need to move the stick once every few minutes or so, that should be helpful when eating or doing something else, it obviously won't work while I'm at work, but that's better than nothing.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Quiet seems ridiculously OP. I alerted an outpost and shit hit the fan, but not for long because she started dropping fools left and right while I ran around panicking.

Enjoy her while you can. She pretty much becomes useless in the late game where almost all enemies wear helmets and riot gear

Nice and easy way to do the Wandering soldier side ops. (side ops spoiler obviously)
https://youtu.be/NqrkrAJxnBg

Not that this side ops is any difficult...but nice touch.
Where do you find that tape? I better remember this though. Last time I had to extract one of those guys he smacked me off my horse twice, tranq bullets didn't work and I had to put his ass down with several riot submachine gun shots.

I've noticed lots of people at my mother-base have had negative qualities to them. Like giving other members PTSD. Is the general idea to just get rid of and fire these people?

Yes. If you go into your staff list, sort by skill, and kick out everyone with the troublemaker skill, you'll be great.

Can someone tell me how to get the
rank 5 fulton? i just got the rank 6 fulton, but it seems there's aslo a rank 5!

for those who are not sure if they should click on the spoilertag, i'm only on mission 33

SomTervo

Fire them.

Fire them all.

Sort by Abilities, get rid of all the Troublemakers.

Syder

Ohhhhkay. 44 hours in, just got to the infamous Mission
. None of the methods I've used so far have gotten me any success. Need to take a break for my sanity. Really don't know how people finished this game in 30 hours or whatever? Did you guys not do Side-Ops or something. I find them enjoyable and a core part of gameplay.

Drencrom

Wait, you can't replay or start from a checkpoint in one of those offline invasions of the base?

Fucking hell, why didn't the game inform me? Otherwise I've would've went ham on them..

Edit: nevermind, you could redo the it when you came back to motherbase

Nameless

Oh my gawd, D Dog just went to D God tier just got an upgrade that lets him
fulton people
, laying waste to outposts and then just letting him clean up is awesome and it doesn't use my resources either.

Oh wow. Didn't know he had that ability. Not sure it'd be more useful than Quiet's maxed Guilty Butterfly, though, for extraction runs. That weapon had a fast, tangible impact on the quality of my MoBase -- can put entire enemy encampments to sleep in a matter of minutes with me guiding.

AEREC

So is it me or is the story really disjointed later in the game, I feel like there's key cutscenes with no build up.

Some gripes from the story so far (I'm around mission 40):

-
Eli just starts calling BB father out of no where (I realize it was obvious he was supposed to be liquid), but it just seems odd to just jump right to that without any buildup. Seems like you'd have to be a huge fan not to be confused.

-
The quiet torture scene just came out of no where, almost feels like I got a cutscene out of order of something

-
Extracting the AI Pod was a non-event...felt like that should have been bigger

The presentation of the story is great and all and the characters are well written and acted...it's just that it feels anticlimatic sometimes or the story sometimes jumps to a climax without any buildup.

so I just got Quiet and I think I read somewhere that
I could lose her forever if I maxout her loyalty bar before, certain mission?

Can somebody let me know without too much spoilers
the requirements to keep her?

raven777

so I just got Quiet and I think I read somewhere that
I could lose her forever if I maxout her loyalty bar before, certain mission?

Can somebody let me know without too much spoilers
the requirements to keep her?

you need a butterfly emblem, and once you get that you use that in your emblem.

What happens if you already have the special Intel guy from ground zeroes transfer and you save him again in the Phantom pain? im guessing you don't get two of him?

you need a butterfly emblem, and once you get that you use that in your emblem.
where do I get that? And wasn't that just one of the two possible ways of keeping her? I remember something about not maxingout her loyalty before X mission (don't remember what mission)

Klossen

Banned
Where do you find that tape? I better remember this though. Last time I had to extract one of those guys he smacked me off my horse twice, tranq bullets didn't work and I had to put his ass down with several riot submachine gun shots.

Just equip the tranq sniper and headshot them before they spot you. Makes the missions even easier than the Youtube video.

Hey folks! Quick drop in.

Is it "safe" (by safe I mean: the best possible) to use the "auto sort" staff option in Mother Base? I really don't want to hassle with manually assigning staff to each of the departments but I'm worried is game giving me the "best" staff placement? :/

iMax

So apparently if you play 'Afghan Lullaby' on your iDroid when guards are nearby, they'll fall asleep where they stand. Amazing.

Top Bottom