• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Superman0

20 missions in and I really like the game. A few missions here and there I don't like (follow this dude around until he takes you to the hostage/boss missions aren't great), but I really like it and am I crazy or is Quiet kind of awesome?

Yup, she is awesome and OP as hell. Having her as a buddy is basically playing on easy mode.

Tabris

By the way, secret medical bay room spoilers:

Just finished the Paz story. So tragic. That last tape got me misty eyed. If someone isn't listening to tapes, that's the number 1 reason to do it.

People keep complaining about the story, but are they listening to the cassette tapes? Treat them like codec conversations and focus on them. Kojima made them optional which I think was a mistake, because the majority of the story is contained in them. There is so much you learn in them. Character's motives and development are all in them.

It's almost like Lost Odyssey who's main story was decent but the optional story via those stories were absolutely amazing.

EDIT - Also I definitely recommend listening to the Hamburger tapes, they are just hilarious.

Tabris

Any tips for Mission 29 when
fighting the Skulls
?

Run into the hanger after marking them, where you look out the window from it, and shoot them with rockets, they won't enter and will just continue shooting you from there. Make sure to dodge the ground / spike attack. Set a supply drop (ideally via flare grenade) every time so it's ready for you to grab quickly,

RoKKeR

Sometimes things just go to shit and you have to roll with it haha. Mission 13 things got messy quickly but I still managed a B.

People keep complaining about the story, but are they listening to the cassette tapes? Treat them like codec conversations and focus on them. Kojima made them optional which I think was a mistake, because the majority of the story is contained in them. There is so much you learn in them. Character's motives and development are all in them.

A general good rule of writing for visual entertainment is show, dont tell. I easily understand the complaints even if I'm not personally as bothered as some people are.

I'm definitely treating the tapes like codecs though so that's why I'm not as bothered. I do with they had little icons showing who was talking and occasionally minor visual aids like MGS3 did.

SJRB

Gold Member
Any tips for Mission 29 when
fighting the Skulls
?

Easiest strat:

Bring D-walker as a buddy, equip the Battle Dress and wear a riot shield makes you basically invincible.

Just be sure to keep moving D-walker at all times, and avoid the red clouds because those will corrode and destroy the walker.

The default 500 ammo on the minigun should be enough, but you might want to develop the 1500 ammo slot, just to be safe.

They are if you want to get the full story of the game.

They aren't, the story progression is tied to the number of missions done, not mandatory mission replays, you can just do side-ops and the story can still progress after you do a number of them.

I just finished Episode 31. Spoilers! Don't click unless you have finished 31!!!!!

Awesome final fight, loved the scene right before Skull Face dies. I kinda was hoping Skull Face would live so he could endure the same pain Kaz and BB would have to live with. Extremely pleased with the game play. Infinitely better than PW already. Hard to say how it ranks among the other MGs for me since I am not done. But I am not a huge fan of the episode format. As much as I love MGSV's open world, I like the more story and linear approach more.

But please for the love of God. Someone tell me that you don't have to grind to get the remaining missions. This game is so fucking good I don't want it to be dragged down PW's shitty designs. I loathe Peace Walker.

chefbags

So I'm up to mission 15 and did the side ops for extracting bear/sheep, what do I do to get the mission for side ops 49 aka
legendary ibis aka hand of jehuty

KarmaCow

Question about a fulton upgrade. (spoiler just in case)

How do you unlock the wormhole fulton? I'm at the point where I just want to do some clean up and this would make things significantly easier. I heard it's tied to Side Op 50, but I don't know how to unlock it.

Tabris

So I'm up to mission 15 and did the side ops for extracting bear/sheep, what do I do to get the mission for side ops 49 aka
legendary ibis aka hand of jehuty

Question about a fulton upgrade. (spoiler just in case)

How do you unlock the wormhole fulton? I'm at the point where I just want to do some clean up and this would make things significantly easier. I heard it's tied to Side Op 50, but I don't know how to unlock it.

I don't think that happens until like Mission 30+

Probably posted before but Dunkey uploaded a MGSV video. It's damn hilarious!

Minor spoilers involved!

Get D-Walker and ride around the airport just unloading bullets into Skulls. Keep moving, never stand still and you can beat it easily.

Legit laughed out loud when he's toying with the decoys. "But which one is the real Solid Snake"

Yes nerds, none of them are solid snake, that's not what makes it funny though.
:p

Tabris

Well I'm way past that and it's not showing up.

Weird, did you finish the other 2-3 animal side ops before it?

There may also be a side op available that's taking the spot of that side op on the map. So look for any side op that's using that Valley area and clear that.

KarmaCow

Weird, did you finish the other 2-3 animal side ops before it?

There may also be a side op available that's taking the spot of that side op on the map. So look for any side op that's using that Valley area and clear that.

Hmm okay I'll check to see if any are overriding it.

Tabris

Yup, she is awesome and OP as hell. Having her as a buddy is basically playing on easy mode.

Since I play the game essentially tranq only, she's starting to suck for me due to all the body armour and helmets as she's too dumb to shoot legs or arms. She only does headshot which was amazing at first but now useless

Plus with so many things having helicopters now, her shooting at the helicopter with her tranq gun makes it even worse. She doesn't seem to understand that she can't hit past metal.

epmode

There's a massive Steam thread about how bullshit the FOB system is. I assume it's the usual overblown Steam garbage but just in case: Should I unlock it, GAF?

There's a massive Steam thread about how bullshit the FOB system is. I assume it's the usual overblown Steam garbage but just in case: Should I unlock it, GAF?

Unlock what, FOB? I mean, supposedly the first one is free and you can build up to a certain point?

epmode

Unlock what, FOB? I mean, supposedly the first one is free and you can build up to a certain point?

There's apparently a way to unlock the first FOB and skip the tutorial. This prevents other players from invading your base and stealing staff or whatever, but you have to play games with the offline mode.

I just want to know if the system is annoying enough to bother trying to skip it.

Tabris

It's a clash of clans system where other players can raid it, even when you're offline, and since servers are down, you're rarely able to defend.

I'm just using direct contracts on my S Ranks to hopefully prevent them from being stolen.

If I take a vehicle into the field does it self extract like D-Horse or do I need to go back and get it?

I'm pretty sure it self-extracts, but I'm not positive. I keep meaning to take a Jeep with me, then call the chopper when I'm done and park it nearby and watch to see if it activates a Fulton like D.Horse does, but circumstances keep getting in the way (last time some asshole nailed it with a mortar shell :p).

Tabris

If I take a vehicle into the field does it self extract like D-Horse or do I need to go back and get it?

It self extracts. Just don't leave it in the middle of the road or anything as a passing unit may just destroy it. Always park it to the side.

Kindekuma

Banned
Anyone know when you can unlock head options at load out?

I want to go with my hair down instead of a pony tail sometime ;___;

wiibomb

Can't believe it's been a week of OT1 and there's already an OT2, really want this game. When it arrives to me there might already be an OT3..

Permanently A

I'm pretty sure it self-extracts, but I'm not positive. I keep meaning to take a Jeep with me, then call the chopper when I'm done and park it nearby and watch to see if it activates a Fulton like D.Horse does, but circumstances keep getting in the way (last time some asshole nailed it with a mortar shell :p).

It self extracts. Just don't leave it in the middle of the road or anything as a passing unit may just destroy it. Always park it to the side.

It self-extracts.

thanks

and about leaving stuff in the middle of the road, I learned that the hard way with D-Walker lol

I was in the middle of infiltrating and I'm like "what are these robotic wails?"

Bear_King

Neo Member
So I just completed mission 11 and my R&D is only level 8. I feel like I'm doing something wrong. Everyone is raving about the variety of ways to complete missions, but I am doing the same thing every time. Essentially I'm stuck with a tranq, auto rifle, and sniper. Almost all of my MB teams are 10 or above and I've constructed quite a few platforms. Every time I reassign my staff the level drops. I've hovered at 7-8 for a while now. Any tips on leveling up R&D quickly? I tend to Fulton almost everyone I tranq.

neoism

man at 40 hours and only 25% im glad it a long game even though some missions are really annoying. lol

Anyone know when you can unlock head options at load out?

I want to go with my hair down instead of a pony tail sometime ;___;
It'll be a while. Your r&d has to be pretty high. I got it AFTER I had already beaten the game.
Sorry to say that the ponytail is there to stay.

The one thing I have against the game is the iDroid menus are somewhat hard to navigate, at least on PC. Also with stuff sometimes spread out across different parts of it for no reason. Why isn't helicopter air support usable from the map screen? You have to go to the mission tab and select the helicopter entry from there instead, which ends up with you having to select an arrival point on the map anyway.

This is just minor nitpicking though and is easily ignorable when you can do this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZeXOnYzzgo

The only thing I'm jealous about the pc version is the hilarity from custom soundtracks on the helicopter. I'm not huge on the John Cena meme but even that was great.

Top Bottom