• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

epmode

So I just completed mission 11 and my R&D is only level 8. I feel like I'm doing something wrong. Everyone is raving about the variety of ways to complete missions, but I am doing the same thing every time. Essentially I'm stuck with a tranq, auto rifle, and sniper. Almost all of my MB teams are 10 or above and I've constructed quite a few platforms. Every time I reassign my staff the level drops. I've hovered at 7-8 for a while now. Any tips on leveling up R&D quickly? I tend to Fulton almost everyone I tranq.

You can manually assign staff members to specific departments. If you don't do it manually, the system tries to match the staff member with their highest stat.

Like, Hideo has an S in Intel and an A+ in R&D. The game will automatically put him in Intel unless you manually move him to R&D. Manual assignment can sometimes be worth the efficiency hit.

Sayakon

Neo Member
I cancelled a dispatch mission with my
battle gear
out, now it says I have 0/1 battle gear, even though I can go see it in my R&D hangar. :(

Am I screwed out of progressing in dispatch missions?

Starviper

So I just completed mission 11 and my R&D is only level 8. I feel like I'm doing something wrong. Everyone is raving about the variety of ways to complete missions, but I am doing the same thing every time. Essentially I'm stuck with a tranq, auto rifle, and sniper. Almost all of my MB teams are 10 or above and I've constructed quite a few platforms. Every time I reassign my staff the level drops. I've hovered at 7-8 for a while now. Any tips on leveling up R&D quickly? I tend to Fulton almost everyone I tranq.

Yeah your R&D should be much higher by that point. I have an upgraded fulton system so I get like 10+ guys every time I go out. I try to grab the more skilled ones but sometimes I just grab everyone if I can get away with it. I then go to the 'all staff' page and dismiss any soliders that have a troublemaker skill.

I just did mission 13 and I think my R&D is level 25 now

EDIT: Are you doing side ops? I've grabbed a ton of soldiers and prisoners through those.

I give up. I can't figure out how to capture the wandering mother base soldier 1. He teleports when I tranq, I can't dive on him, and I can't CQC him without getting stunned and falling to the ground. I don't know what to do. All of Quiet's shots are missing him as well I think.

Try to fulton out as many people as you can. I started just fultoning out everyone after I realized that it was taking too long to unlock stuff.

epmode

I give up. I can't figure out how to capture the wandering mother base soldier 1. He teleports when I tranq, I can't dive on him, and I can't CQC him without getting stunned and falling to the ground. I don't know what to do. All of Quiet's shots are missing him as well I think.

I'm having a lot of trouble with this as well. Shit makes no sense.

Predwolf

Treat him like a zombie. Only headshots count.

Revan

So uh, apparently I've unlocked Mission 46 without touching 45 at all.

I did too and FOOLISHLY played
Side Op 150 which leads directly into Mission 45

I'm STILL fucking mad about it.

Heads up on 45 too -
Once you start it you CANNOT exit out of it. You will be locked into the mission.

EDIT - changed spoiler tag

BadHand

Has to be a tranq headshot

I got near him while being inside the Cardboard box, he gets near you for whatever reason and then you can grab him.

Damn, my S Rank trophy bugged. :( Got the reward for it though, but I guess the platinum is out of the question unless they patch it

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Someone timed it here. I think the numbers were something like
stun- 1.5m
tranq- 7m
Choke- 18m

Seems about right, could test the others for us :3

Damn, this is useful information. I always figured a tranq would last longer than all so I would shoot people in the head if I choked them out.

Tabris

You have to headshot him. Getting the tranq sniper file will help this. Otherwise just gotta sneak behind him until you get into 40-50m range then aim :)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I asked this earlier but missed the reply. Is there a way of just getting the chopper to take you from A to B on the same map without returning to the ACC?

RoKKeR

The box is your best friend.

I asked this earlier but missed the reply. Is there a way of just getting the chopper to take you from A to B on the same map without returning to the ACC?

No but there are orange platforms that will transport you through major areas with your cardboard box. You have to collect the 'invoice' in each major area(IE the palace, the supply outpost) that's attached to a pole next to the orange platform in order to unlock that for fast travel.

NeonBlack

I been using the box. They come close and I use the choke hold. 100% rate.

Revan

Nope.

One you are done a mission/side op and you see the save indicator (it's yellow) in the top right hand corner of the screen pause and return to acc.

There is a fast travel system with the cardboard boxes too but that's all there is.

malfcn

Annoyed with the Honey Bee mission.
I was looking for a place to Fulton
the Hamid guy, and bam! cutscene and he is lost.

I also unlocked mission 46 before mission 45 but I still ended up doing the side quest that leads into 45. Lots of regrets there given the effects it has on
post game content.

I just cant get some outposts to trigger completion. I have been keeping track in Africa as I run back and forth to all of them. I cannot get outposts 9,10,13,20,21 to trigger as being captured. I guess this explains why 0 people have this achievement on TA. Not sure if glitched, or I am somehow missing enemies...even though I am scanning entire areas with the sonic arm

zkorejo

I am confused about FOBs.

I thought FOB's are entirely separate from the Motherbase and whatever happens in FOBs stays in FOB and wont effect resources/staff from the actual motherbase for SP.

I thought of it as basically a separate motherbase for online fun and keeping one will max staff members but thats all.

Are all the staff/resources shared between the MB and FOB? If I get invaded for 10 times in the next 5 days, and I go back to playing after 5 days, will my MB suffer from me not playing the game? I dont get it.

Nope. There's a separate fast-travel system with the cardboard box, though. Larger bases will have big orange delivery platforms, and if you go up to one you'll see a sign with a shining collectible on it. It's a delivery invoice, and it lets you park yourself on the platform in a cardboard box, hold the Triangle button and then fast-travel to any other delivery platform you have the invoice for.

Unfortunately, the system shuts down completely if an enemy even catches a glimpse of you on your way to the platform. Even if you trigger the white 'someone sees something' indicator, you can't do it, and it's extremely hard to reach most of the platforms without being seen at all.

The best thing to do is just open the pause menu and hit 'Return to ACC'. Saves you time and GMP when compared to calling in a pick up, and you'll have all your supplies replenished when you redeploy.

Jashobeam

What I did was run until I got close and hit him with the Bionic Punch, equip the bionic arm to do it.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Question about Quiet, for those who cleared her story (Spoiler for post-game stuff)

Is it true that after you finish her story she will unavailable to be selectable as your mission buddy?

Question about Quiet, for those who cleared her story (Spoiler for post-game stuff)

Is it true that after you finish her story she will unavailable to be selectable as your mission buddy?
Yes she is gone forever. Her final story mission is skippable, you can either: 1. keep her bond below 100%; 2. use the butterfly emblem to keep the story chain from appearing, doing so will not affect your story completion, but you'll miss a story element regardless.

Bear_King

Neo Member
EDIT: Are you doing side ops? I've grabbed a ton of soldiers and prisoners through those.

Yeah, I'm doing side ops. I've probably done 12 or so. I Fulton out a ton of people, it seems like anyway. None have great stats for R&D it seems. It's my weakest area which sucks because I need some stronger weapons.

Someone else suggest manually assigning. I just auto assign so I'll look into that too.

I do feel like MB is a little overwhelming. Can't say I enjoy it too much but it's probably on me for not fully understanding.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost

Use NVGs to track him easier, bring D-Dog so he gets auto marked when near by, bring a riot smg and tear into him into he gets KOed.

Alternatively one tranq in the head will do it.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the replies everyone. The return to ACC option is probably what'll I'll start with. I haven't been collecting an invoices, but I'll keep an eye out for them now.

Superman0

Just wait until you develop your non-lethal sniper rifle, it makes life a lot easier. However, you need a clean head shot to knock him out.

Tip: use the cardboard box.

Yo. Fuck Mission 16. I've tried
fultoning out the truck before I get alerted. I've tried using a tank. I've tried going to the airport and stealing it there.
Nothing works for me.

Yes she is gone forever. Her final story mission is skippable, you can either: 1. keep her bond below 100%; 2. use the butterfly emblem to keep the story chain from appearing, doing so will not affect your story completion, but you'll miss a story element regardless.

I really wish I had known this before.

Ōkami

Episode 40 was intense, manage to find a way to get passed it easily, albeit after a few tries.

That reward was totally worth it though.

Tabris

Does taking off the emblem (which I have currently) then start her story again whenever I'm ready?

I am confused about FOBs.

I thought FOB's are entirely separate from the Motherbase and whatever happens in FOBs stays in FOB and wont effect resources/staff from the actual motherbase for SP.

I thought of it as basically a separate motherbase for online fun and keeping one will max staff members but thats all.

Are all the staff/resources shared between the MB and FOB? If I get invaded for 10 times in the next 5 days, and I go back to playing after 5 days, will my MB suffer from me not playing the game? I dont get it.

That's why you should absolutely play offline after importing your GZ save because FOB is a total mess.
Does taking off the emblem (which I have currently) then start her story again whenever I'm ready?

I believe you can do that but don't take my word for it since I haven't test it myself.

ramyeon

I'm having a lot of trouble with this as well. Shit makes no sense.
This is actually super easy. I just ran at him and dived into him knocking him over. After that I could just CQC him 3 times in a row as he got up each time to stun him and fulton him out.

This is actually super easy. I just ran at him and dived into him knocking him over. After that I could just CQC him 3 times in a row as he got up each time to stun him and fulton him out.

Or alternatively you could try a Tranq-sniper rifle plus D-Dog. That's worked like a charm for me on each one I've done.

Top Bottom