• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Ranma

Fuuuuuuuuuck. Final Key Dispatch mission failed yet again.... here goes, fourth time lucky.

Also, is it a known glitch or anything regarding blueprints not appearing? I need one more and it should be in Ditadi Abandoned Village but it isn't showing up at all.

is that dispatch mission required for something? i mean.. it's Yellow but... does that mean it is essential for the story to progress?

Caode

is that dispatch mission required for something? i mean.. it's Yellow but... does that mean it is essential for the story to progress?

I've finished the main story so more than likely it has no impact but it does reward you with a blueprint plus I'm going for the platinum (it might take some time).

Jintor

Not sure [Extreme] Sniper Fight is actually any fun. Popping up your head to get one-shotted isn't great, especially when enemy can relocate on a whim.

More annoyingly, seems like the moment you enter anywhere in their range of view, you get located and shot in like a second even if they're concentrating elsewhere...

oh well, it is an extreme fight i guess. I just don't really feel like getting gud. Maybe I should play around with decoys and smoke nades

Greddleok

Not sure [Extreme] Sniper Fight is actually any fun. Popping up your head to get one-shotted isn't great, especially when enemy can relocate on a whim.

More annoyingly, seems like the moment you enter anywhere in their range of view, you get located and shot in like a second even if they're concentrating elsewhere...

oh well, it is an extreme fight i guess. I just don't really feel like getting gud. Maybe I should play around with decoys and smoke nades

Getting the first shot is the most important, then you can just track her since she moves with miniature explosions across the map.
Once you get the first shot down, you can hit her as soon as she sets up before she even spots you.

MAX PAYMENT

It is an incredibly easy fight. She uses a bolt action weapon. Pop out for a split second, she shoots, then pop out and shoot her. Rinse and repeat.

It allows you to take armored vehicles and tanks and add them to your base.

That's Cargo+2. You're thinking of the wrong one.

What does Fulton +3 even do? Does it just give you more to take into the field with you?

Fulton+3 gives you 36 "ammo", and Fulton+4 gives you 48 ammo. They can both be developed by extracting 500+ people. The 1,000+ reward allows you to develop the Fulton Ballista equipment for D-Walker.

Shinigami

How did you guys clear Mission 16? The one where you have to
extract a truck that's being guarded by Skull Soldiers? Tranquilising them seems to be out of the question, and if I just run to the truck and drive off in it, they run after me and destroy it.

I'm trying to kill as few people in my run as possible, so I don't want to have to resort to killing them all, but I'm seeing few other options. Apart from using the "copout" items, such as the thing that makes you near-invisible, and restricts you to an A-rank or below.
All I did was
be super sneaky, and have Quiet shoot at the skulls, and while they were distracted and somewhat distanced, I fultoned the truck and escaped, with zero alerts.

Jintor

It is an incredibly easy fight. She uses a bolt action weapon. Pop out for a split second, she shoots, then pop out and shoot her. Rinse and repeat.

The not-quite-right location when you bring up your scope always throws me long enough for her to shoot me right between the eyes. I also died a few times because you don't move your head when you scope, but you definitely move it when you aim down the sights.

Regarding mission 150:

So last night I finally got the courage to take the butterfly emblem off but after logging in today I immediately got cold feet. I still have a few Total Stealth missions I wanted to use Quiet on and goddammit you already took Eli away along with everything else Kojima you can't have Quiet too!!! You lose her after mission 45 right? If I change back now can I save her?

I'm fucked aren't I?
She leaves once side-op 150 is available. If that hasn't appeared yet, and you want to keep Quiet, putting the emblem back on should prevent her from leaving. But if 150 is in your mission list, its already too late.

Macrotus

So, what's the optimal GMP farming method? I am currently farming traitor's caravan on extreme and earning about a million each 5 minutes. Wondering if there is a better one

I heard the amount of rewards (GMP?) you receive keeps on decreasing every time you complete it. Doesn't that happen to you?

I dunno any efficient ways, but I dispatch all 4 teams on GMP missions and then do missions with the highest rewards.

I did farm fuel though. It was repeating mission 12 or something over and over.
Got bored quickly though.

Now that I'm in
chapter 2
every guard is wearing complete armor during the new story missions. What the hell do I shoot them with especially if I want to play stealthy? ARe my options just to sneak around and choke them out?

Caode

The not-quite-right location when you bring up your scope always throws me long enough for her to shoot me right between the eyes. I also died a few times because you don't move your head when you scope, but you definitely move it when you aim down the sights.

..alternatively, deploy with a tank and open fire. It's such a satisfying fight though when you do bring her down in a sniper battle, I loved that mission and the sniper battle with
the skulls during the Code Talker episode

PreFire

Developing every weapon I could. There's a lot of variations

But are the gun models oversized, or is it just me?

Also, Lmfao at
Miller's Maxi Buns
cassette

Now that I'm in
chapter 2
every guard is wearing complete armor during the new story missions. What the hell do I shoot them with especially if I want to play stealthy? ARe my options just to sneak around and choke them out?

Better get used to carrying around lots of smoke grenades. Works like a charm.

Now that I'm in
chapter 2
Send your combat unit out on the missions to destroy the enemy unit's supply of armor. When they complete the mission, less enemies will have full body armor.

There's a resource container on the north side of the palace main building. It's my understanding that you can Fulton yourself out on it during mission 45 and return to ACC. I assume this leaves mission 45 available for completion later, but I'm not sure.

Yeah it does,
but Quiet stays unavailable. Time to suck it up and learn how to play without sniper backup easy mode. :(

Jintor

..alternatively, deploy with a tank and open fire. It's such a satisfying fight though when you do bring her down in a sniper battle, I loved that mission and the sniper battle with
the skulls during the Code Talker episode

Eh, if I really wanted to just win I'd sleeping bombard her starting position. But that doesn't seem fun.

Now that I'm in
chapter 2

rawket

pawwwwnchhhh

Sayter

That's Cargo+2. You're thinking of the wrong one.

Fulton+3 gives you 36 "ammo", and Fulton+4 gives you 48 ammo. They can both be developed by extracting 500+ people. The 1,000+ reward allows you to develop the Fulton Ballista equipment for D-Walker.

I tried lifting a tank with Fulton +2. It lifted the tail up a bit and slammed back down. The turrent swung around and blasted me. Lol!

MAX PAYMENT

I would just mark her, center her on the screen, and tap LT. Snake would pop out for an instant and she would always take a shot. Then I'd just hold LT and pop her. Once I figure out that method I easily beat her.

I tried other methods before that and failed miserably.

If you're really struggling, use smoke grenades. Drop one about 10-15 feet away from you. You'll be able to see through it but she wont.

Woffls

Yeah it does,
but Quiet stays unavailable. Time to suck it up and learn how to play without sniper backup easy mode. :(
Oh that sucks :\ The game should give very clear warnings about this particular event.
I spent ages investing in her silenced sniper gear because I used her a lot, then she disappears forever! Just in time for all those S-ranks I needed to go and get. Ended up doing most of it solo because DD causes more trouble than he's worth sometimes.

go to the airport, on the long wall on the right iirc there is a a place where you can climb in.
the truck is just around the corner.
approach it and the skulls get out.
run to the truck and fulton it.
then whistle d-horse and run like hell.

Can you get the vehicle fulton that early?

Macrotus

I just saw the photo which Kojima put up on his Twitter,
I'm guessing its for MGO, but I'm hoping we can use it in the campaign as well.
But I don't remember being able to swim anywhere. All there was, was shallow puddles and rivers.

CO8V3VQUwAA4taV.jpg:large

Hey guys I have a question... I'm really enjoying the gameplay, but the "flow" of the game seems really off to me. Essentially I'll do a side op, then get on my horse and have to travel SUPER far to get to another side op. It feels as though I'm doing something wrong.

I'm incredibly early (6%), so maybe I'm playing wrong? Am I supposed to return to Mother Base more often? It feels like there's nothing to do there besides some target practice.

Edit: Is there a way to call in the helicopter and have it take you to another landing zone without loading into the mobile operations base?

Greddleok

Hey guys I have a question... I'm really enjoying the gameplay, but the "flow" of the game seems really off to me. Essentially I'll do a side op, then get on my horse and have to travel SUPER far to get to another side op. It feels as though I'm doing something wrong.

I'm incredibly early (6%), so maybe I'm playing wrong? Am I supposed to return to Mother Base more often? It feels like there's nothing to do there besides some target practice.

Don't travel by horse everywhere. I just extract, unless there's a clear path of side ops, then get the the helicopter back in.
I usually do main missions then come back and check the side ops. By that point there are 4 or 5 in a nice efficient route.

MAX PAYMENT

Edit: Is there a way to call in the helicopter and have it take you to another landing zone without loading into the mobile operations base?

There's a crappy fast travel box delivery mode. But I usually just get In the chopper, load the acc, and get inserted close to the new obj.

All of the options are inconvenient.

roytheone

I just reached Africa, and there is a weird ass disconnect between real life <>gameplay for me there. Because I am dutch, I can actually understand afrikaans to a certain degree. So I know what the soldiers are saying, yet Ocelot keeps yapping about how we need a translator. Just shut your mouth Ocelot, I can actually understand these guys just fine without a translator :)

54-46!

Is it possible to backup my Steam save and start fresh or will that mess up any online / save functionality later if I want to restore it?

muteki

So interesting thing happened to me RE: Legendary Gunsmith:

I had finished the first two "apprentice" gunsmith missions earlier on and going to do the 3rd and final one was high on my priority list, but before I could do it after a unrelated side op or mission I have Ocelot on the radio with me in the ACC telling me I can customize guns now. Sure enough I could without completing the last mission, wierd.

Also, got Quiet as buddy, and initial observations:

Shame from the get go you have to have a lethal loadout until your bond increases. Silly me thought you could customize her weapons same as Boss'. Other than that her marking seems inferior to DD, though finding items like suppressors lying around is nice. In any case I just got the tranq sniper and looking forward to try it out tonight, and can't wait until I can stop giving direct commands, only just now learned "take aim".

Also, cargo fulton extraction = best extraction. So convenient.

Lastly, regarding translators in Africa:

You have me go through this whole rigamarole in mission 14 to get one and one of the earliest Africa side ops is to extract one from an outpost that is literally the biggest walk in the park ever. wtf.

I just reached Africa, and there is a weird ass disconnect between real life <>gameplay for me there. Because I am dutch, I can actually understand afrikaans to a certain degree. So I know what the soldiers are saying, yet Ocelot keeps yapping about how we need a translator. Just shut your mouth Ocelot, I can actually understand these guys just fine without a translator :)

They won't give you information from interrogation if you don't have a translator.

I wonder if it's possible to get a random soldier with the customization skill before that side op?

Hasney

I had finished the first two "apprentice" gunsmith missions earlier on and going to do the 3rd and final one was high on my priority list, but before I could do it after a unrelated side op or mission I have Ocelot on the radio with me in the ACC telling me I can customize guns now. Sure enough I could without completing the last mission, wierd.

As well as the master gunsmith, you can also have gunsmiths to customize individual weapons. You may not be able to do all types without the master

Hey I'm curious, I have hear you get a set of tapes along the lines of hand burgers or something - sounds comedic more than anything.

I am on mission 28 and still haven't heard them, am I missing something there?

Lanrutcon

I speak Afrikaans, and what they're saying (and how they're saying it) is hilarious. They're speaking a very formal, old school Afrikaans. It's like whoever translated things doesn't speak Afrikaans enough in informal settings.

Also: there's a severe lack of Afrikaans swearing and so many lines are begging for a 'fokken' or a 'donder'.

dhonk

I speak Afrikaans, and what they're saying (and how they're saying it) is hilarious. They're speaking a very formal, old school Afrikaans. It's like whoever translated things doesn't speak Afrikaans enough in informal settings.

Also: there's a severe lack of Afrikaans swearing and so many lines are begging for a 'fokken' or a 'donder'.

Neat! Thats p interesting

Hey I'm curious, I have hear you get a set of tapes along the lines of hand burgers or something - sounds comedic more than anything.

I am on mission 28 and still haven't heard them, am I missing something there?

They're tied to the story missions, so you've got a whole to go for them yet.

Crispy

How did you guys clear Mission 16? The one where you have to
extract a truck that's being guarded by Skull Soldiers? Tranquilising them seems to be out of the question, and if I just run to the truck and drive off in it, they run after me and destroy it.

I'm trying to kill as few people in my run as possible, so I don't want to have to resort to killing them all, but I'm seeing few other options. Apart from using the "copout" items, such as the thing that makes you near-invisible, and restricts you to an A-rank or below.

This was an easy S for me:

I approached the truck by crawling until the skulls jump out, then i backed up and captured the tank. At that point i backed up, making some distance from the truck and shot the skulls to little bits with my tank cannon. The last skull destroyed my truck and I shot my whole assault Rifle empty to get his last sliver of health. Didn't get hit once and fultoned everyone out.

muteki

As well as the master gunsmith, you can also have gunsmiths to customize individual weapons. You may not be able to do all types without the master

Could be. Even after his capture it seems like there are several options on my weapons that cant be changed, and some categories (like launchers) can't be customized at all. I was mostly just thinking that was my low-level weapons though and more would open up with upgrades.

Khal_B

It would have been nice if there was an app where I could manage MB and FOBs while I'm not home. I think this game might carry me till the end of the year with how much content seems packed in.

Also, whenever I'm driving and I pass by containers (talking about real life here lol) the first thing that pops into my head is fultoning them. Maybe I need to take a little break from this game...

Sure, the story elements seem sparse in comparison to past MGS games, yet I can't remember the last time I was this addicted to a SP game.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
This was an easy S for me:

I approached the truck by crawling until the skulls jump out, then i backed up and captured the tank. At that point i backed up, making some distance from the truck and shot the skulls to little bits with my tank cannon. The last skull destroyed my truck and I shot my whole assault Rifle empty to get his last sliver of health. Didn't get hit once and fultoned everyone out.

Even easier, distract from one side and make them try to find you... sneak from the other side and extract truck via fulton... they never saw me use the fulton on the truck and escaped before they even saw me;)

Raxious

Great fucking job Konami, my game is bugged :(

I did mission 4 while I had already destroyed the objectives, so my rank turned into - . However, even though I can complete it again now, it'll still remain - . This also means I'm unable to get the 'get all missions S rank' and the 'Get all key items' trophies :s

Macrotus

It would have been nice if there was an app where I could manage MB and FOBs while I'm not home.

I thought the companion app had those features besides it showing a map while you play like the BF companion app.
But maybe I'm wrong. Since I haven't used the companion app.

So, I'm where I need to
quarantine my mother base staffs. I've learned that I need to search for the common language every infected had, and that it's random for each player. The thing is, I found out the language they have all in common is English... and that 3/4 of my staffs speaks english... Do I need to quarantine them all ?! That seems insane and long to do... Did anyone else got English staffs members to quarantine ?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

I did mission 4 while I had already destroyed the objectives, so my rank turned into - . However, even though I can complete it again now, it'll still remain - . This also means I'm unable to get the 'get all missions S rank' and the 'Get all key items' trophies :s

Is that the one where you destroy satellite dishes? They should respawn after a few missions.

Macrotus

Or try destroying the radio transmitter in one of the buildings if its the mission where you blow the 3 satellite dishes. Blowing the radio transmitter does the job.

Top Bottom