• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

meep!

Neo Member
Anyone know if there are some place in the open world where I can fulton some
Walker-gears
? Ran out of them for dispatch missions and need a few more.I know there are some missions I can get them from but wondering if there are any in the open world?

Kama_1082

Banned
I'm officially burned out MGSV. Beat it on Sunday and tried to do some side ops last night and couldn't do it. Le sigh. I loved the hell out of you, MGSV. GOTY for sure.

JackelZXA

Anyone know if there are some place in the open world where I can fulton some
Walker-gears
? Ran out of them for dispatch missions and need a few more.I know there are some missions I can get them from but wondering if there are any in the open world?

you could always replay the story missions with that unit.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
It's definitely the first Metal Gear since Solid 1 that I've loved. I tolerated MGS2, could never deal with the menus in Snake Eater (though I wish I could give it another try now that I have more patience) and I hate MGSIV with a burning passion. It's not perfect, but it's pretty damn close for me. I'd give it a 9.5-10/10, even with the flaws.

Question about D Dog, finally got to where he joins you last night.

Whenever I ask him to wait he only waits for a second or two and then starts following me again. Is there some trick to this? Need to raise my bond level with him first?

He is still super helpful but I get paranoid that he is going to be spotted. I was also clearing some mines last night and he kept getting really close to them after I told him to wait for me.

Vuze

I've seen some outfits for Quiet in Jim Sterlings video about her but I've yet to see any of these in the buddy developement section.
Do I really have to leave her running around naked until I beat the game and thus unlock them or what?
She's an amazing support buddy now that I could develop the tranq rifle and it seems her AI is improving the longer you play with her on your side which is cool.
Just wish she'd wear something, I think it's a real shame what Kojima has done to her. She really deserved not to be remembered as the slutty MGSV girl considering the badass skills she has.
But I bet this thread has been through this atleast once, so tl;dr: How do I unlock actual outfits/suits for Quiet?

SJRB

Gold Member

Whenever I ask him to wait he only waits for a second or two and then starts following me again. Is there some trick to this? Need to raise my bond level with him first?

He is still super helpful but I get paranoid that he is going to be spotted. I was also clearing some mines last night and he kept getting really close to them after I told him to wait for me.

He won't get spotted, don't worry.

Enemies will see him, and tell him to get lost but it won't raise an alarm. It's just a dog, after all.

tl;dr: How do I unlock actual outfits/suits for Quiet?

Some are unlocked as you bond with her, some are unlocked via story progression.

Interfectum

It's definitely the first Metal Gear since Solid 1 that I've loved. I tolerated MGS2, could never deal with the menus in Snake Eater (though I wish I could give it another try now that I have more patience) and I hate MGSIV with a burning passion. It's not perfect, but it's pretty damn close for me. I'd give it a 9.5-10/10, even with the flaws.

Besides Snake Eater, I agree with you here. MGS5 is easily my favorite MGS since the first one. So far I'd rank them MGS=MGS5 >3 > 2 > PW > 4

This game is just too much fun to play. With a better story and some tweaking of the whole open world aspect of the game it would be the perfect stealth experience.

muteki

It is pretty rare for DDog to cause an alert, I haven't worried about his positioning too much. Soldiers so far have only gone "shoo shoo!" and gone back to their business.

If you are really close to an enemy crawling it could be a problem but in general it isn't.

WanderingWind

Seriously, Quiet could have been so amazing. Still sorta is. But she's definitely "that naked woman" and not the "badass teleporter with mad sniping skills and an overly annoying hum that was cool at first but for chrissakes just shut the fuck up before that humming infests my every nightmare."

He won't get spotted, don't worry.

Enemies will see him, and tell him to get lost but it won't raise an alarm. It's just a dog, after all.

Some are unlocked as you bond with her, some are unlocked via story progression.

It is pretty rare for DDog to cause an alert, I haven't worried about his positioning too much. Soldiers so far have only gone "shoo shoo!" and gone back to their business.

If you are really close to an enemy crawling it could be a problem but in general it isn't.

So he just doesn't follow the wait command?

It's great to hear he won't cause a alarm though.

I'm not sure he used to do that to me but he behaved himself last time I tried. try lying down before you tell him to stay.

WanderingWind

Besides Snake Eater, I agree with you here. MGS5 is easily my favorite MGS since the first one. So far I'd rank them MGS=MGS5 >3 > 2 > PW > 4

This game is just too much fun to play. With a better story and some tweaking of the whole open world aspect of the game it would be the perfect stealth experience.

Yeah, I didn't have a lot of patience for non-RPGs when Snake Eater hit. So, I got frustrated and returned the rental to the store. I'm going to give the eventual re-release another try though.

Setsuna

No one cares about the dog. He could be fully kitted out and still on one would care

Sayter

Using Quiet is pretty cool. Unfortunately that 'tune' she sings while on a mission make me want to shoot her myself. 😡

squadr0n

The Hand of Jehuty
is as much of an easter egg as it gets.

Wow this is such a disappointment. I really wonder why Konami felt that this game wouldnt make a profit at its current state. It could have used a few more months in development obviously. But I guess that doesnt necessarily mean it would have sold more. At least the fans would have been happy with a real conclusion to the series.

Gameplay wise this is hands down the best Metal Gear but it is seriously lacking story wise. Revengence had a better all around story imo even thought I wasnt a huge fan of that game. Cant wait to see what Kojima does next!

Interfectum

Using Quiet is pretty cool. Unfortunately that 'tune' she sings while on a mission make me want to shoot her myself.

Trying to go to sleep last night that's all I could hear in my head. Kojima is trying to create PT in real life as I'm slowly going insane.

Dumb dog always fumbles into enemies when I am about to take them in CQC grip. And they get alerted. I am sticking to Quiet.

Made a video about how I got her using Supply drops (supply drops are OP lol)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cWKqKfOXTA

Story and narration have taken a hit, but gameplay is simply superb. I can play this game for months.

Gameplay wise, this is one of the best sandbox games ever. It just gives you mission area and tons of options, and you can tackle stuff in n number of ways. Its simply amazing.

I decided to pick this game up after all the wonderful reviews but it has been so difficult for me to actually play it. First I went to a Gamestop down the street, which didn't have it in stock, and then I decided to order it on Amazon. Amazon said that it was delivered yesterday but it's nowhere to be found.

It looks like I'll have to submit a claim to get another copy delivered :-/

WanderingWind

Using Quiet is pretty cool. Unfortunately that 'tune' she sings while on a mission make me want to shoot her myself. 😡

Trying to go to sleep last night that's all I could hear in my head. Kojima is trying to create PT in real life as I'm slowly going insane.

Glad it's not me. They really need to patch that out. Give us something else to show she's locked onto a target. It's really excessive and it even steps on dialogue in some situations.

Wow this is such a disappointment. I really wonder why Konami felt that this game wouldnt make a profit at its current state. It could have used a few more months in development obviously. But I guess that doesnt necessarily mean it would have sold more. At least the fans would have been happy with a real conclusion to the series.

Gameplay wise this is hands down the best Metal Gear but it is seriously lacking story wise. Revengence had a better all around story imo even thought I wasnt a huge fan of that game. Cant wait to see what Kojima does next!

To be fair, I enjoyed the story of Revengeance more than half of the Metal Gear games. The entire ending sequence is like Top 3 in Metal Gear moments.

Also,
as a big Zone of the Enders fan, I adored the Hand of Jehuty. Probably my favorite broken weapon in the game when its fully upgraded.

mcarlie

Banned
CO8V3VQUwAA4taV.jpg

From Kojima's twitter.

They're gonna be showing MGO soon.

I watched the original reveal recently after playing the single player and it seems like the map there is based off of a fort in the single player.

daveo42

Banned
Dumb dog always fumbles into enemies when I am about to take them in CQC grip. And they get alerted. I am sticking to Quiet.

Made a video about how I got her using Supply drops (supply drops are OP lol)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cWKqKfOXTA

Story and narration have taken a hit, but gameplay is simply superb. I can play this game for months.

Gameplay wise, this is one of the best sandbox games ever. It just gives you mission area and tons of options, and you can tackle stuff in n number of ways. Its simply amazing.

I've had zero luck with getting this to work for either the normal mission or
extreme mission.
She jumps out of the way right before it hits almost every time unless she has something to distract her. Plus, the
extreme one is tough as balls and takes several supply drops to get her down.

see5harp

Does your bond level with buddies ever go down? I replayed a mission hoping to max out the horse but it seemed to fill me back up to where I was before. Is it because I didn't end up getting a higher grade/score on the mission?

Markoman

Calm down brother, she will help you find your inner peace, just relax, listen to her sweet voice and enter zen. I'm already there :D

Does your bond level with buddies ever go down? I replayed a mission hoping to max out the horse but it seemed to fill me back up to where I was before. Is it because I didn't end up getting a higher grade/score on the mission?

Yeah yesterday I accidentally backed up in a jeep over my dog and the bond level decreased

I thought he was gonna jump in :(

cackhyena

I've accidentally kicked DD and knocked him out twice now because he got in the way of me trying to wake up a soldier. Dummy. Anyways it said my bond went down after he passed out.

deim0s

When they get hit pretty badly or you deliberately shooting them.

brau

Yeah yesterday I accidentally backed up in a jeep over my dog and the bond level decreased

lol.

this morning a tank shot me on D Horse. D Horse just flopped and didn't get back up. I was holy shit he is dead!!! Remembered KOjima said that buddies can and will perma die. Until i saw D Horse get back up and neigh at me.

I wish i could've pet him. I just got back on and headed towards the sunrise.

Sayter

I've accidentally kicked DD and knocked him out twice now because he got in the way of me trying to wake up a soldier. Dummy. Anyways it said my bond went down after he passed out.

Oh I hate that. I had a shot all lined up. i was about to fire. And then the damn dog got right in the way. Fucking mut!

I think I'll be using more D-Horse. He takes you where you want to go. You park him out of the way and he stays there until you call him.

My favorite part of using Quiet is when I forget she's there and use reflex mode to rush somebody and grab them so I could interrogate them. Her AI decides to shoot the dude in my arms... But since he was wearing a helmet, she blew my cover while trying to preserve my cover. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I usually use her in story missions, DD elsewhere.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Asking one more time:

Can I safely sell all the machine guns/mortars/AA guns that I fulton away, or do they actually protect MB/FOB?

My favorite part of using Quiet is when I forget she's there and use reflex mode to rush somebody and grab them so I could interrogate them. Her AI decides to shoot the dude in my arms... But since he was wearing a helmet, she blew my cover while trying to preserve my cover. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I usually use her in story missions, DD elsewhere.

Quiet can be pretty trollish at times, I ask her to cover me, knowing fully well she will go into murder mode. But I tranq the one guard with good stats right away so that I can extract him at least. A fraction of a second after I tranq him, AS he is falling down, she shoots him in the head.

Quick

Banned
I haven't really explored R&D outside of upgrading my helicopter and other little things, but I'm guessing I can upgrade the Fulton recovery system to carry heavier loads. I tried to Fulton a jeep and a mortar and the balloon just popped - I'm still very early in the game.

wiibomb

I haven't really explored R&D outside of upgrading my helicopter and other little things, but I'm guessing I can upgrade the Fulton recovery system to carry heavier loads. I tried to Fulton a jeep and a mortar and the balloon just popped - I'm still very early in the game.

At some point you will need to get to the R&D, because its the only way to upgrade your gear and make new weapons and equipment

EDIT: with R&D you will eventually upgrade your fulton to the point where it can even extract containers

see5harp

I don't think my bond level with the horse has ever gone down but I guess I'll try replaying another mission tonight to finally max it out.

Quick

Banned
At some point you will need to get to the R&D, because its the only way to upgrade your gear and make new weapons and equipment

EDIT: with R&D you will eventually upgrade your fulton to the point where it can even extract containers

Thanks, I thought I'd need to do so at some point. I actually also had R&D make Snake's sneaking suit. I haven't equipped it yet.

The amount of little details in this game just astounds me (yes, I did check out the thread about this lol).

Fury451

Banned

I love D-Dog's perk, but these both happened so much I quit using him going through again- once I figured out how to maximize Quiet, there was no going back.

Markoman

You monster.

I have killed at least 6 sheep by horse (intentionally, as one of the males attacked me and this game is all about revenge) and mobbed the hell out of my crew using decoys and smoke, because I couldn't tolerate their submissive behaviour any more. I'm already a demon.

D-Walker doesnt get enough love.

I have killed at least 6 sheep by horse (intentionally, as one of the males attacked me and this game is all about revenge) and mobbed the hell out of my crew using decoys and smoke, because I couldn't tolerate their submissive behaviour any more. I'm already a demon.

I hope you didn't scatter those sheeps ashes to the heartless sea.

I know how to sell them, I am just asking is there any point NOT to sell (like FOB stuff or if they come into play late game).

I believe they're in your base in the FOB missions. Haven't been invaded more than once for 30 seconds so i can't totally confirm. They don't serve any purpose late game though.

Top Bottom