• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Real Hero

I think the open world is good. I'm glad the focus is on missions and side missions, I don't to be climing towers or whatever random stuff most open worlds games have.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
So, when I am running around the world about every 20 minutes I hear a "bing bing". Kind of like a sonar. What is it? Am I close to a diamond or something? I've stopped and looked around every time I hear it but I never find anything.

EDIT: not seconds, minutes.

I would like to know the answer to this as well.

Hasney

Fuck Konami and their servers, I just paid for an FoB base & now I can't connect to the servers, so it's pretty much useless.

Are you just getting failed login repeatedly? This happened a couple of times last night, but closing the game fully and starting jt again worked.

I'd just ask you one question: What do you think this game gains from being open-world rather than a bunch of open levels (like say a base from this game and 200m around it on all sides).
They already were going to do something like that with MGS4, but obviously it's well documented that Kojima had to throw out the idea of an open battlefield where players could decide which side to choose and make an entirely linear game again. Back to MGSV, I honestly think some of the missions level design is really tight, some even with a linear pathway. I do like the old school Metal Gear design too, but this fresh and new for MG fans. I much prefer this style over Peace Walkers design or MGS4's hap dash collection, out of the more recent Metal Gear games. I like having creative freedom to do what I want and can approach a situation in so many different ways. Not saying all of the missions are well designed, since they're not, but there's been some that have been amazingly designed. I won't hold anyone's opinion about this game against them, since I can see where people are coming from, certainly, but I still love it and am really, really addicted. It's the perfect sandbox stealth/action experience.

I can't say that I deny missing the indoor infiltrations though. If they got to make a sequel to this, I bet they would have put more of those in. Indoor infiltration is classic Metal Gear game design, after all.

I'm watching some gameplay of mission 20 and apparently it's possible to not even get the
Sniper boss fight with the 4 female skulls. huh. That was one of my favorite moments too.

I didn't fight them, just went past them. They scare the shit out of me honestly :/

Hasney

I've yet to create FOB. Question: When you get invaded, do your friends get an alert to defend the FOB if you're not present, or do you have to manually invite people?

Have to have people specifically add you to support you. And its random people, not friends.

SomTervo

Encountered Quiet a little while later. Not super happy about it spoilers below:
The battle at first seems to be setup like a sniper battle ie. MGS3's The End, but a big difference here was that it felt like I didn't have as many options against Quiet. I tried sneaking up on her a few times, but it seemed completely impossible to the point where I'm pretty sure it is impossible. If true it'd be a big change from The End where sneaking up on him was one of the better strategies. I'm pretty disappointed by this because it feels like Quiet is "breaking the rules" of the game. There's definitely a few situations in MGS where you're in permanent alert and sneaking doesn't work, but normally, you can always sneak, and you can always use whatever strategy against whatever enemy.

As well at this point in the game I don't have a tranquilizer sniper rifle because the requirements for unlocking it are a high med bay staff and at this point in the game I pretty much just got a med bay. As a result I left and am going to come back later as the game encouraged me to do. Due to the fact that Quiet always knows where you are, and I can't surprise her, it's not going to be a very interesting sniper battle, more of a twitch battle.

I don't know am I totally wrong here or did anyone else find this weird?

There was a guy back in OT1 who said
he managed to sneak up on her and even CQC her.
Said it was a really easy battle because of this. I have no idea how he did it.

Jonm1010

Banned
I think the open world is good. I'm glad the focus is on missions and side missions, I don't to be climing towers or whatever random stuff most open worlds games have.
They got the core gameplay right to such an umpth degree that for me, I am over 25 hours in and I have no fatigue whatsoever. In fact I just want to get home and play it more! It's so amazingly polished.

Most open world games keep me hooked because of the story, the chaos, the exploration, the side stuff and upgrading.

You could strip this game to its barebones of just gameplay, infiltration and mission scenarios and I would still be satisfied. As much as I loved The Witcher 3, GTAV, Fallout or Elder Scrolls. I can't say that about them. I loved them, but it was more because they were the sum of their collective parts.

Caja 117

I confese I didnt play yesterday, does this makes me a monster?

Going back on track today, This is game is right now competing with my personal GOTY against Witcher 3, I have to admit that MEtal Gear is probably my favorite Video Game franchise. I just wish I had more time to play, I bought myself the Special Edition Strat guide for my second playtrough of course.

Im loving the open world approach of the game.

EDIT: This MGS thread sure is moving fast that my post came before another guy!

I can't say that I deny missing the indoor infiltrations though. If they got to make a sequel to this, I bet they would have put more of those in. Indoor infiltration is classic Metal Gear game design, after all.

Agreed! I'm not far enough through the game to know if this happens but the whole hiding in lockers and waiting for enemies to walk past to allow sneaking past seems to be a thing very much of the past which sucks.

Would love a proper remake pack of the series to play through

Alienous

Climbing towers in Far Cry 3 and 4 are actually a cool moment between combat sections, at least for me.

I looked forward to doing them, perhaps not much but certainly more than 75% of The Phantom Pain's Side Ops.

MayMay

Banned
I'm watching some gameplay of mission 20 and apparently it's possible to not even get the
Sniper boss fight with the 4 female skulls. huh. That was one of my favorite moments too.

Wait what? I played Mission 20 earlier and nothing like that happened. Dafuck.

Griss

They already were going to do something like that with MGS4, but obviously it's well documented that Kojima had to throw out the idea of an open battlefield where players could decide which side to choose and make an entirely linear game again. Back to MGSV, I honestly think some of the missions level design is really tight, some even with a linear pathway. I do like the old school Metal Gear design too, but this fresh and new for MG fans. I much prefer this style over Peace Walkers design or MGS4's hap dash collection, out of the more recent Metal Gear games. I like having creative freedom to do what I want and can approach a situation in so many different ways. Not saying all of the missions are well designed, since they're not, but there's been some that have been amazingly designed. I won't hold anyone's opinion about this game against them, since I can see where people are coming from, certainly, but I still love it and am really, really addicted. It's the perfect sandbox stealth/action experience.

There is no doubt that the level design here surpasses anything in any other Metal Gear game, and does so by leaps and bounds. And the areas in which you do missions are just so fucking good. In particular, Mission 2
was one of the best level designs I've ever encountered in a game full of them. So we're on the same page there absolutely.

My question is just... why did all of these amazing levels have to be in the same location, connected with 50km of road? The early mission where you have to ride around blowing up tanks is a good example of using all of that space, so I'll give them that. But most of the time it's completely unused and unnecessary, and then those times when you find yourself 2km away from your goal and without DHorse it's absolutely frustrating.

SomTervo

Anyone else annoyed by Miller's tone, when he goes:

O1pHbOl.jpg

It took me ages to get this.

Fucking dying.

About mission 18 :
I can't be the only one who thought for a moment BB really killed the kids.

They showed that in a trailer, too, and it was like wtf

He really is a demonic little shit!

Luckily
that's not the case.

Indeed. The structure of this is pretty unique and requires quite a few design elements to be reconfigured to make it work. Making the base-building aspect so central is the really big obvious difference maker; I suspect most designers would have broken it off into a sub-mode completely separate from main story/mission construction, but Kojima has kind of gone the opposite route in breaking up the story into individual episodic chunks.

The credits before and after each mission suggest to me that long-term he may have planned to hand it off to other people to expand on it piecemeal. It may still happen if the underlying mission scripting system is robust and easily extensible.

People have kind of fixated on the number of times Kojima's name crops up in the credits, but his role(s) isn't the only one credited repeatedly.

Agreed on all counts.

You could just go to the mansion the long way and avoid it?

Like if you change the chopper location on mission 1, you avoid the fight there aswell.

Is there any way to just discard dispatch rewards you get? I'm doing rank E ones, and those that pay best GMP also gives you tons of completely useless D and E -rank staff. I don't want to leave them in rewards menu either.

Sorry if this was mentioned earlier in thread (I tried to search a bit, didn't find), but I want to avoid spoilers as best as possible.

Agreed! I'm not far enough through the game to know if this happens but the whole hiding in lockers and waiting for enemies to walk past to allow sneaking past seems to be a thing very much of the past which sucks.

Would love a proper remake pack of the series to play through

I wouldn't mind it if whoever makes the next Metal Gear decided to remake Metal Gear 1 and 2 with the Fox Engine and we would have the best of both worlds, since MG1 and MG2 both have plenty of both outdoor and indoor infiltration. MGS3 was probably the best example that has the best of both worlds. Groznyj Grad was great and the jungles were great.

Who knows what Kojima decides to do next. I kind of get the impression that he would want to have a go at another genre entirely from stealth action though, but who's to say. I bet he takes all of the best talent from his studio with him wherever he ends up.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
You need to figure out what every sick person has in common.

If you don't want to do that, here is a spoiler:
Put everyone that speaks Kikongo into quarantine.

WTF, how the fuck do you figure that out!? I mean maybe the initial 5 hint at that, but WTF.

Did you listen to the tape you unlock after the
Infection/Quarantine
scene?

Yes. But outside of
Quiet trying to pull the teeth(?) out of the guard that is mentioned in that "identifying the infection" tape, they're still "I DUNNO ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ LOL" toward it.

I completely ignored it. Just work through the next couple of missions and you'll be fine. I don't think there's a way to make it past this point without losing people.

That's what I'm doing (well until I did the above answer) but I dunno if that stops
the crisis completely since at the end of mission 28 you get a "TO BE CONTINUED..." so...

SomTervo

There is no doubt that the level design here surpasses anything in any other Metal Gear game, and does so by leaps and bounds. And the areas in which you do missions are just so fucking good. In particular, Mission 2
was one of the best level designs I've ever encountered in a game full of them. So we're on the same page there absolutely.

My question is just... why did all of these amazing levels have to be in the same location, connected with 50km of road
? The early mission where you have to ride around blowing up tanks is a good example of using all of that space, so I'll give them that. But most of the time it's completely unused and unnecessary, and then those times when you find yourself 2km away from your goal and without DHorse it's absolutely frustrating.

For me it wasn't just '50km of road'. For me it was a journey across the savanna, ordering Quiet to scout out bases as I go. It was that moment two guys were in the road ahead of me and I swerved out the way and dived out of the car. It was coming across an 'Eliminate the armoued vehicle unit' right in the way of the mission, which I did after a couple of tries and lots of planning.

Then it was rock-climbing up a cliff face to find the mission deployment box, starting the mission and restocking my gear, then crawling through the misty cliff face area, dodging
Skulls to reach the Mansion.

It was a proper MGS3-level adventure. It wasn't just dropping into a hotzone or driving through dull terrain.

I make sure I deploy with a car every time I deploy, and the open map is never an issue for me. I get to my objective within a minute or two no matter where I am.

Griss

About mission 18 :
I can't be the only one who thought for a moment BB really killed the kids.

See, in the trailer I thought he did it. But in the game there's no indication at all that he's a bad dude, so I was like 'No way, can't buy that.' So it made sense when he didn't. Of course 5 minutes later I wished he had, lol. Move you fucking runts!

For me it wasn't just '50km of road'. For me it was a journey across the savanna, ordering Quiet to scout out bases as I go. It was that moment two guys were in the road ahead of me and I swerved out the way and dived out of the car. It was coming across an 'Eliminate the armoued vehicle unit' right in the way of the mission, which I did after a couple of tries and lots of planning.

Then it was rock-climbing up a cliff face to find the mission deployment box, starting the mission and restocking my gear, then crawling through the misty cliff face area, dodging

It was a proper MGS3-level adventure. It wasn't just dropping into a hotzone or driving through dull terrain.

I make sure I deploy with a car every time I deploy, and the open map is never an issue for me. I get to my objective within a minute or two no matter where I am.

a) I have never done the bolded, and maybe that's a difference. But you can't do that for the majority of the game anyway. And
b) I've had a couple of those experiences, but not enough to offset what I feel the game loses. My biggest memory of the world outside of bases is just the constant sprint towards objectives.

FOB is utter garbage. At least my experience thus far.

Everyone I've invaded had no materials, I don't know where to find them. There was one instance where I fell through a wall and died, so that was cool. I was invaded last in night when I was offline, asleep. No way I could possibly defend myself. Cool.

JimPanzer

WTF, how the fuck do you figure that out!? I mean maybe the initial 5 hint at that, but WTF.

one of the casette tapes pretty much gives it away. something about the quiet-soldier incident and why she was targeting specifically that soldier's mouth. the word mouth gets mentioned so often that it becomes obvious tbh.

Aces&Eights

Sorry to repost but I'm going crazy over here trying to figure this out:

When I'm running around the open world, about every 20 or 30 minutes I hear a "ping ping" sound. It sort of sounds like a submarine sonar. I can't tell where it's coming from, I'm not using night vision our anything with a battery, I don't have my sonar arm equipped. I thought at first that maybe it was telling me a diamond was near by but every time I hear it and look around, nothing. I've come upon diamonds and didn't hear it so....

Please someone help. It's driving my bonkers because I feel like I'm missing something.

GavinUK86

So I accidently stumbled across Quiet while I was doing side ops, only up to mission 7 in the main ones, and I didn't know that encounter could happen early. I presumed it was a set piece that would trigger automatically during the story, pretty cool.

The cutscenes with her on MB is weird though because Ocelot says "but she saved the Boss' life" to Miller yet she didn't, I was fine, I just bumped into her randomly.

Her cell is hilarious though, with 80's tunes blaring and with her top unstrapped, getting a tan lol. No Kojima, sure she isn't a sex object lol. Stefanie Joosten is hella cute though.

Wasn't sure if I should tag anything here, all this was in the trailers so I presume it's fine not to.

Alienous

It isn't dense enough to be MGS3-level, imo. When I think of that I think of very close-quarters, dense feeling stealth.

The navigation just isn't fun. Driving isn't fun. D-Horse isn't fun. Perhaps if I was climbing trees, or swimming into underground caves, it would be. But it's very basic navigation. When you're an open world game, and I don't have something like a wingsuit so the navigation isn't fun, your open world really is just a cumbersome level selection menu.

I do understand where you are coming from, though. I could have done without all the roads. It's just un-entertaining space, for me.

MGS3 is definitely the more tightly designed game thanks to just how linear it is, but it also doesn't have the same ambitions as this game does. It's a typical case of apples and oranges, which style you prefer for outdoor infiltration.

My question is just... why did all of these amazing levels have to be in the same location, connected with 50km of road? The early mission where you have to ride around blowing up tanks is a good example of using all of that space, so I'll give them that. But most of the time it's completely unused and unnecessary, and then those times when you find yourself 2km away from your goal and without DHorse it's absolutely frustrating.

Yeah, I get ya. D Horse shouldn't have been a Buddy and been a "vehicle" instead or something. Traversal does sometimes take way too long, even with the "fast travel". The open space would have been better populated I reckon if they had more time, but it's pretty obvious that they were just taking too long with the game and Konami put the foot in and forced them to hurry up and finish. Like I said earlier, I bet a sequel would have streamlined and taken off a whole lot of the fat this game has. Constantly hearing how later missions are
padding and repeated missions from earlier, just with added challenges.
Just seems to go to prove that the game is clearly unfinished. At least the game doesn't have any real technical flaws (outside the shit with the servers) anyway, which is a bit of a miracle in this day and age, honestly, especially for such a huge game.

I'd like to play another game on this same engine without the flaws and more locales with indoor infiltration. Something like that.

cackhyena

Climbing towers in Far Cry 3 and 4 are actually a cool moment between combat sections, at least for me.

I looked forward to doing them, perhaps not much but certainly more than 75% of The Phantom Pain's Side Ops.

Not me. I can fuck with the system in a bunch of different ways in this. I can't climbing towers. I've had my fill of tower climbing after the far Crys and ACs. So much filler bs in those games. It's all become so meaningless.

Alo0oy

Banned
Are you just getting failed login repeatedly? This happened a couple of times last night, but closing the game fully and starting jt again worked.

Wow, that worked. Thanks.

I just sent a request for a refund to Konami, I guess I'll cancel that for now unless the servers continue to disconnect.

Pungza

Can the AI invade your MB?

I've done the 'emergency mission' which is scripted. I think it use to happen in Peace Walker, or was this replaced by FOBs and online only.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
one of the casette tapes pretty much gives it away. something about the quiet-soldier incident and why she was targeting specifically that soldier's mouth. the word mouth gets mentioned so often that it becomes obvious tbh.

That's what I'm talking about. How the hell did you just figure
The Kikongo language is the one you target
?! It a very vague hint that doesn't even point you toward
languages being the cause and more so people that speak the Kongo language is the target

It's only later during the scene in Mission 28 that you find out
the parasite is targeting non-English
but even then you have like
12+ variables to go through

Can the AI invade your MB?

I've done the 'emergency mission' which is scripted. I think it use to happen in Peace Walker, or was this replaced by FOBs and online only.

There were no invasions in Peace Walker. AI couldn't co-op with you either. You're thinking of Ad Hoc Partying with people and/or playing online in the "HD" re-release of Peace Walker.

GeekMarty

Everyone I've invaded had no materials, I don't know where to find them. There was one instance where I fell through a wall and died, so that was cool. I was invaded last in night when I was offline, asleep. No way I could possibly defend myself. Cool.

You must've overlooked the dozens of material containers then.

Top Bottom