• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

BadWolf

Oh god Mission
can fuck off.

Every time I get up to (what I suppose!) is the last tank and helicopter, the tank either snipes me from way up on its hill, the chopper refuses to lock-on with the CGM, or some goon finds his way up to me and gets me (my fault for not having any sort of rifle or handgun with me - all explosives, just in case!).

Every time.

If you want a different weapon loadout then have the helicopter drop it down for you.

Use the building for cover, standing behind it will nullify tank attacks. Its walls also nullify helicopter attacks.

You can also call in an air strike if you like. Don't forget to fulton tanks and armored vehicles when you find an opening, it's a very quick way of getting rid of them.

Ourobolus

Banned
Oh god Mission
can fuck off.

Every time I get up to (what I suppose!) is the last tank and helicopter, the tank either snipes me from way up on its hill, the chopper refuses to lock-on with the CGM, or some goon finds his way up to me and gets me (my fault for not having any sort of rifle or handgun with me - all explosives, just in case!).

Every time.

Reposting from the last page:

I learned quickly where the vehicles would show up and then toss a smoke grenade and then fulton them, or leave 3 charges of C4 where they would eventually park. Once the second wave appeared, I requested a supply drop of my strongest rocket launcher (it one-shots the armored vehicles and...3(?)-shots the tanks). That made the second part A LOT easier when combined with the smoke grenade/C4.

When you start the second part, IMMEDIATELY request the supply drop, then haul ass towards where the missile vehicle appears and fulton it. Go back, drop C4 at the spot where the vehicle from the left (facing outwards from the building) parks, then get the launcher. Smoke grenade/fulton the one from the right. Then just blast away.

muteki

Mission
:

The second-tier Cluster Guided Missile was killing tanks and helicopters with just one shot for me 90% of the time. I would just stand in the courtyard where the mission starts and after dieing a few times knew where they were coming from and could predict where I needed to be aiming.

I don't think I could have beat that mission if it was taking 3 hits to kill one vehicle...certainly not by fultoning them

Mission
:

The second-tier Cluster Guided Missile was killing tanks and helicopters with just one shot for me 90% of the time. I would just stand in the courtyard where the mission starts and after dieing a few times knew where they were coming from and could predict where I needed to be aiming.

I don't think I could have beat that mission if it was taking 3 hits to kill one vehicle...certainly not by fultoning them

Even with the GCM which let me one shot everything, I got tired of being randomly one shotted by stray shells that fly past me so I ended up using the Binoculars to call in air strikes on tanks that were behind cover (I didn't care about my rank at that point, I had accidentally killed some infantry so it didn't matter either way), so I guess that would be one way to do that mission poorly equipped assuming you have the support level for it.

myco666

Oh god I am getting so sick of these deployment missions. Have tried secure the bridgeheads one for so many times and it still fails. Seriously two trophies locked behind this RNG is bullshit.

mr.beers

Is this the same for everyone? I am on the helicopter/ACC choose my mission and arrive at the LZ. Every one of my weapons has one bullet missing from the clip, 30 instead of 31. A minor annoyance I know but it bugs me.

I did mission 45 first try by staying in between the two black prisoner cells to the left of where you spawn.

Never got hit once!

Boaster Skill

FFMafia

Is this the same for everyone? I am on the helicopter/ACC choose my mission and arrive at the LZ. Every one of my weapons has one bullet missing from the clip, 30 instead of 31. A minor annoyance I know but it bugs me.

Supposed to be the little details. It's not missing from the clip he's adding it to the chamber.

Highest I have ever seen in my game so awesome!
Who got higher then this?

CQvU3qgWcAA49I-.png

Oh god I am getting so sick of these deployment missions. Have tried secure the bridgeheads one for so many times and it still fails. Seriously two trophies locked behind this RNG is bullshit.

You said it. The Peacekeepers took at least 5 tries for me. That's so many damn hours and you can't even speed it up through in game methods. The last try I just sent the lowest score team and somehow they won. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

yeah. there's a few active gameplay scenes during maybe 2-3 missions where you gotta move the controller a bit (and i think even a couple of those you can skip once you move the controller once lol) but otherwise yeah vast majority of cutscenes are skippable.

Caode

Has the patch fixed the bug in Lingua Franca affecting the interrogations objective?

Not too sure - there wasn't any mention of the blueprint, or rating rank in C2W being fixed in the patch notes as far as I can remember but they were fixed, so you might just have to try it out and see. That mission task was a fucking nightmare.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
So I just did a FOB infiltration without PS+?

I just backed out when it asked me to get ps+ and it let me do it. It wasn't the event fob mission either..

Renewed

So I just did a FOB infiltration without PS+?

I just backed out when it asked me to get ps+ and it let me do it. It wasn't the event fob mission either..

Went to check because I remember invading someone once, but that was before I had PS+. It's just a 2 day trial so I'll try again after it expires.

cantona222

I finished mission
and mission
is not unlocked? I finished all yellow side ops and visited motherbase and still mission
is not showing in the mission list. I need help.

Kindekuma

Banned
Okay you know what? FUCK YOU LINGUA FRANCA MISSION! Stupid bullshit "Listen to the 4 Interrogations" side objective. Check point? Haha fuck you, won't count when the game reloads. Alert phase starts because you accidentally bumped into a bucket? Haha fuck you too.

Plus waiting for the time for the two guards to make their rounds takes forever. Just fuck that mission, viscount you piece of shit.

So I just finished episode

Do I have to playthrough that whole prologue again, or have I actually finished the game now...without even realising?

Renewed

All I have left is mission tasks so I'm moving along well. And here comes Lingua Franca... I listened to all the interrogations but no task popped. Same for my containers (which are all there)... gonna try this again tomorrow.

myco666

You said it. The Peacekeepers took at least 5 tries for me. That's so many damn hours and you can't even speed it up through in game methods. The last try I just sent the lowest score team and somehow they won. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I must have tried this 10 times already and I lose atleast 1 staff everytime and a walker. Seriously infuriating.

Also Lingua Franca conversation tasks is really bad. I just hanged around next to the prisoners and listened all conversations and it didn't unlock. Doesn't help that it is super boring to just sit around through these conversations over and over again.

Lettuce

So i just done mission

I don't get the whole of BB distress at the end of this mission, fair enough his having to kill his own men (or though his basically forced them to join his army anyway) but its not like his killing them for sport or in cold blood and alot of them are asking to be killed, his doing it for the greater good, 'kill the few to save the many' which im sure BB would understand and kind of be 'ok' with.....Christ the amount of people in the field his killed already!. I just think its an over reaction for him to be so traumatised by the whole situation and if this is what causes BB to change and become the character that he is in MG then i think its poor writing on Kojima's part. If they want to really push BB over the edge i would have added the kid soldiers into the quarantine area and having to kill them would of been what pushed him over the edge, that i can get behind....but this not so much.

Golnei

So i just done mission

I don't get the whole of BB distress at the end of this mission, fair enough his having to kill his own men (or though his basically forced them to join his army anyway) but its not like his killing them for sport or in cold blood and alot of them are asking to be killed, his doing it for the greater good, 'kill the few to save the many' which im sure BB would understand and kind of be 'ok' with.....Christ the amount of people in the field his killed already!. I just think its an over reaction for him to be so traumatised by the whole situation and if this is what causes BB to change and become the character that he is in MG then i think its poor writing on Kojima's part. If they want to really push BB over the edge i would have added the kid soldiers into the quarantine area and having to kill them would of been what pushed him over the edge, that i can get behind....but this not so much.

If you don't mind spoilers for the cut Episode 51, none of which appear in the game:

They kind of did want to do the 'killing children for the greater good thing' as well, with Snake leaving Eli and the rest of his child soldiers to die in an area about to be carpet-bombed after they start showing symptoms, with the mercy of a gun with a single bullet should he choose to put himself out of his misery.

Xanathus

Okay you know what? FUCK YOU LINGUA FRANCA MISSION! Stupid bullshit "Listen to the 4 Interrogations" side objective. Check point? Haha fuck you, won't count when the game reloads. Alert phase starts because you accidentally bumped into a bucket? Haha fuck you too.

Plus waiting for the time for the two guards to make their rounds takes forever. Just fuck that mission, viscount you piece of shit.

All of the side objectives are super easy to do when you unlock the regenerating stealth camo.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
You may get some of the basics down if you've played 75% of 3. But what this game draws on the most is still Peace Walker and Ground Zeroes. Try to play at least Ground Zeroes' main mission. Gameplay is basically the same and I'd say you will be lost if you don't experience that story first.

TPP is pretty much the sequel to Peace Walker, which is pretty much the sequel to MGS3. TPP actually has about as much story as any Metal Gear game, it's just spread out over the course of a 50+-hour game (100+ if you do side missions) instead of a six-hour game.

It feels like a sequel to PW in terms of both story and gameplay. All the major characters are people originally introduced in MGS3 and PW. The series overall from a gameplay standpoint has gone through some really fundamental shifts since MGS2. MGS3 alone is actually a pretty big adjustment gameplay-wise compared to 2, and PW is another big adjustment from that. A lot of the negativity surrounding TPP is honestly just people who haven't played a Metal Gear since MGS4, or even 3, and got a huge shock from being introduced to the PSP framework for the first time.

Thanks guys, I guess I'll put TPP on my backlog then, waiting for the time I'll have beat the final part of MGS3 and finally played PW and GZ.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member

All those "listen to all conversations" objectives are the worst. Sometimes the scripting just doesn't kick in, and yeah any tiny mistake and it's back to the start. One of the things that made me decide not even to try for that achievement for completing all objectives. I don't need the aggravation.

BadWolf

I fucked up my save files and lost my back up with
Quiet

That's one of the reasons I deleted my old save and am doing a brand new play through (focusing solely on story missions).

And honestly, it's pretty damn fun. I can easily see myself replaying the game from scratch in the future to experience the story like I would in the previous MGS games. Gameplay-wise it is very much smooth sailing, no grinding of any kind required. The game seems balanced around being able to do well with minimal tools.

Minamu

Can someone explain how to get a specific task done on the mission "Pitch Dark"? The first one
when you get to Africa. I'm supposed to "exfiltrate the hot zone before Mfinda Oilfield was sealed off". But even with speed run and all tasks videos, I can't seem to get it? I've tried entering the area and turning off the switch, and then blowing up the oil tank, either from outside the entrance with C4 or with a rocket launcher from a cliff. I even tried running outside the hot zone once the soldiers come but you can't blow up C4 from that distance it seems. I also tried to run to that new hot zone's border before it activated but same thing with the C4.
I don't know what I'm doing wrong :/ Maybe blow it up first and then go for the button, I dunno.

Ourobolus

Banned
Can someone explain how to get a specific task done on the mission "Pitch Dark"? The first one
when you get to Africa. I'm supposed to "exfiltrate the hot zone before Mfinda Oilfield was sealed off". But even with speed run and all tasks videos, I can't seem to get it? I've tried entering the area and turning off the switch, and then blowing up the oil tank, either from outside the entrance with C4 or with a rocket launcher from a cliff. I even tried running outside the hot zone once the soldiers come but you can't blow up C4 from that distance it seems. I also tried to run to that new hot zone's border before it activated but same thing with the C4.
I don't know what I'm doing wrong :/ Maybe blow it up first and then go for the button, I dunno.

The easiest way is to
Exfiltrate via materials crate. Get on top of one of the materials crates, blow the C4, then after the cutscene get back on top of a materials crate, fulton it from the top, then an icon will appear that lets you leave with the fulton (hold Triangle on PS).

Minamu

The easiest way is to
Exfiltrate via materials crate. Get on top of one of the materials crates, blow the C4, then after the cutscene get back on top of a materials crate, fulton it from the top, then an icon will appear that lets you leave with the fulton (hold Triangle on PS).
Cool, I'll try that, smart :)

Gui_PT

you need that blueprint and you need to finish all the dispatch missions.

You can increase the stats of any soldier by using them instead of Snake when on a mission and getting 3 S ranks with them.

This is very easy by doing the C2W mission:

- Make sure you destroy the AA Radar in Free Roam or a previous mission.
- Do the C2W mission and choose the LZ inside the camp.
- Choose the soldier you want to level and man the chopper's gun.
- Shoot the 3 dishes on your approach, before you get near the camp.
- After they're destroyed, don't fire so guards won't trigger a combat alert and just wait for Pequod to fly out of there.

Each run takes less than two minutes. Any rescued puppet soldiers already have one medal, so the 3 S medal stacks with that. You can turn a D/E rank guy into A++.

I've leveled many of my guys from S to S+, but haven't been able to get from S+ to S++. The only S++ guys I have are the 6 you get from completing mission 31 or whatever.

Just 100%-ed this baby, thanks guys.

I took advantage of that "FOB event" and got 4 or 5 S++ soldiers and 5 S+ so I just kept picking them at the dispatch missions I was missing until they succeeded.

Top Bottom