• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Just lost my first Emergency Mission... didn't see that coming.

Game has really picked up the pace lately, loving it.. also: MGO is so much fun!!

Kuldar

Is their a bug with the rank display of soldier? I found my first S+ rank soldier, I fultoned it and when I checked in the staff management they guy was only displayed as S rank. :(

Uuuuhhhhhh...just finished Mission 31 and Credits are rolling!? WTF? :eek:

PicardWhatIsThisShit.jpg

Lemme guess, now I'll chase Eli like Zadornov or smth like that?

Dammit Kojima! *fist shake*

*watches credits*

Oh, ok...thought so.
Still...didn't like the story pacing. :/
Gameplay is sublime tho.

MechaX

Uh... I signed off this morning with like 200,000 GMP, and I log back on this afternoon after work and I'm 120,000 GMP in the red?

What the fuck happened?

I saw one of the Motherbase staff smoking in a corner today, just when you think you've seen it all.

Uh... I signed off this morning with like 200,000 GMP, and I log back on this afternoon after work and I'm 120,000 GMP in the red?

What the fuck happened?

Some of your GMP's shared with your FOB now and it deducts from your total GMP when you go offline, did you go offline or something? Shouldn't be in red though.

MechaX

Some of your GMP's shared with your FOB now and it deducts from your total GMP when you go offline, did you go offline or something? Shouldn't be in red though.

It was definitely in the red. Hell, I even
got that low morale scene as soon as I completed a Side Op.
I don't even know what I did besides going to the title screen and logging out of the game, and turning the PS4 off. Is there a particular way I need to exit the game to prevent this from even happening?

It was definitely in the red. Hell, I even
got that low morale scene as soon as I completed a Side Op.
I don't even know what I did besides going to the title screen and logging out of the game, and turning the PS4 off. Is there a particular way I need to exit the game to prevent this from even happening?

I have no clue actually, was wondering about how to avoid this myself. Maybe never being online while playing MGSV could help you out. They should've at least shown you just how much GMP is taken up by your FOB.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
How long until we get a mod to use all buddies simultaneously?

I'M NUCLEEEEAAAAAARRRRR

Is there any button without a use? L3 maybe? Perhaps someone could make a mod that cycles buddy command menus. Then you could possibly have all buddies in the field too?

Just got a save corruption after playing mission 42 (or 29). I was using D-Walker, for what it's worth (used this the first time through OK, though). I suggest no one play this mission twice (in any capacity).

I had... a considerable amount of progress lost. I'd already beat everything and was just spinning my wheels expanding my base(s) and developing remaining crap, so I'm not as bummed as I would've been had it happened earlier. Still sucks though. Don't replay 29/42. Backup a save before doing it the first time.

I'm going to get it all back, but to do so, I'll have to become a demon

mike6467

So...just got through most of the Pitch Black mission. Took my time getting to the objective, did a bunch of stuff then died before I completed any objectives. It restarted me at the beginning. The very beginning. I'm assuming all the guys I fultoned and items I got still count?

I thought maybe I could chopper in to one of the other landing zones and start the mission, but it looks like you have to complete that mission before you can even free roam there. Really frustrating I have to traverse the entire distance again. I mean I guess I can bring the horse and just blow through the initial areas, but it takes away from the experience after taking that much care and finding out none of it counted.

I'm really surprised there aren't any checkpoints given how far you go and how many obstacles are in your way when you start that. Spent over an hour and now need to put the game down for awhile because I have no desire to do all that again. I really don't like the ambiguous checkpoint save system in this style of game.

BadWolf

So...just got through most of the Pitch Black mission. Took my time getting to the objective, did a bunch of stuff then died before I completed any objectives. It restarted me at the beginning. The very beginning. I'm assuming all the guys I fultoned and items I got still count?

I thought maybe I could chopper in to one of the other landing zones and start the mission, but it looks like you have to complete that mission before you can even free roam there. Really frustrating I have to traverse the entire distance again. I mean I guess I can bring the horse and just blow through the initial areas, but it takes away from the experience after taking that much care and finding out none of it counted.

I'm really surprised there aren't any checkpoints given how far you go and how many obstacles are in your way when you start that. Spent over an hour and now need to put the game down for awhile because I have no desire to do all that again. I really don't like the ambiguous checkpoint save system in this style of game.

The oilfield facility mission?

There should be a checkpoint when you reach the facility itself, so any time you mess up there you can just restart from right outside of the facility.

There should also be a checkpoint after you do one of the two objectives at the facility.

The checkpoint system in this game is location and objective based, you will see a yellow saving circle on the upper right of the screen when there is a checkpoint. You get a checkpoint after complete certain objectives and you also get one when you pass a "hot spot" on the map where a checkpoint will be initiated automatically after you pass it.

Just got a save corruption after playing mission 42 (or 29). I was using D-Walker, for what it's worth (used this the first time through OK, though). I suggest no one play this mission twice (in any capacity).

I had... a considerable amount of progress lost. I'd already beat everything and was just spinning my wheels expanding my base(s) and developing remaining crap, so I'm not as bummed as I would've been had it happened earlier. Still sucks though. Don't replay 29/42. Backup a save before doing it the first time.

I'm going to get it all back, but to do so, I'll have to become a demon

Damn that sucks. Thought they patched in all the problems regarding 29/42. Didn't keep a back up?

valkyre

Guys I remember sawing in a game demo that you can snipe 2 targets simultaneously with Quiet.

Yet I cant manage to pull it off... In a situation where there are 2 targets nearby, if I tell Quiet to take aim on one of the targets she will simply automatically change to the target I am aiming. So i dont get the whole point.

Can anyone explain how this works?

BadWolf

Guys I remember sawing in a game demo that you can snipe 2 targets simultaneously with Quiet.

Yet I cant manage to pull it off... In a situation where there are 2 targets nearby, if I tell Quiet to take aim on one of the targets she will simply automatically change to the target I am aiming. So i dont get the whole point.

Can anyone explain how this works?

He does it here (5:03):

https://youtu.be/pqu0nRb0puM?t=303

I'm working on the
rescue the children
side ops right now, and was wondering if anyone knows how to get
the kid in the tower where you originally fight Quiet? I don't have the child fulton yet, but I feel like there must be some way to get him down.
Any help would be appreciated!

mike6467

The oilfield facility mission?

There should be a checkpoint when you reach the facility itself, so any time you mess up there you can just restart from right outside of the facility.

There should also be a checkpoint after you do one of the two objectives at the facility.

The checkpoint system in this game is location and objective based, you will see a yellow saving circle on the upper right of the screen when there is a checkpoint. You get a checkpoint after complete certain objectives and you also get one when you pass a "hot spot" on the map where a checkpoint will be initiated automatically after you pass it.

Yeah, that's what I thought. I had gone into the facility and
went past the tank you're supposed to take out, because I figured, "hey, I should do that last".
. And on my way to the other objective went around a blind corner, got taken out by 3 guys. And boom back to the chopper from the very start of the mission. I was really surprised that no save was triggered on my approach. I went in from the side and climbed over the wall. Maybe I missed a "Hey, that's the thing you're looking for" trigger and quicksave?

BadWolf

Yeah, that's what I thought. I had gone into the facility and
went past the tank you're supposed to take out, because I figured, "hey, I should do that last".
. And on my way to the other objective went around a blind corner, got taken out by 3 guys. And boom back to the chopper from the very start of the mission. I was really surprised that no save was triggered on my approach. I went in from the side and climbed over the wall. Maybe I missed a "Hey, that's the thing you're looking for" trigger and quicksave?

That's very strange, I always get a checkpoint at the cliff outside the facility.

Blowing up the tank grants a checkpoint btw. I usually plant a C4 and crawl a safe distance before blowing it up, this causes an alert at the facility but they don't know where you are so you can shut the facility down (the second objective) amidst the chaos and make your escape. Easy S rank.

mike6467

That's very strange, I always get a checkpoint at the cliff outside the facility.

Blowing up the tank grants a checkpoint btw. I usually plant a C4 and crawl a safe distance before blowing it up, this causes an alert at the facility but they don't know where you are so you can shut the facility down (the second objective) amidst the chaos and make your escape. Easy S rank.

Good to know! Thanks for the responses, this is one of those things that will scare me away from a game for months if I leave it too long. So I'm going to retry it now and aim for the alternate objectives as well. Definitely going to run around outside the base until I see the game saving this time though.

Edit: Yeah, this is odd. First time doing the "Pitch Black" mission, the only time I got radio contact
was when the child soldiers showed up
. This second run I'm getting a bunch more stuff, this is on the PC, but this bodes well for my save issues, hopefully they were related,

Edit 2: Yeah, save went through, none of this dialogue happened my first run. Hope this isn't a habit the game gets into.

Damn that sucks. Thought they patched in all the problems regarding 29/42. Didn't keep a back up?
I did, but it's from before I beat the game. I used the Steam backup feature, but more recently copied the Steam Apps folder manually. Assumed the game saves were somewhere in that folder, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I'll be getting it all back soon though :)

Finally cleared all key dispatch missions, thank you RNJesus. *Bows*

Also, is Locked and Loaded or whatever the trophy is for 300 development items bugged or something? I keep developing every chance I get and I still haven't unlocked it. Even the minimum cost item right now is over than 200000 GMP.

Edit: Lol nevermind, just got it. Was just 3 items away apparently.

I did, but it's from before I beat the game. I used the Steam backup feature, but more recently copied the Steam Apps folder manually. Assumed the game saves were somewhere in that folder, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I'll be getting it all back soon though :)

You've got a lot more tolerance I'll give you that, I would've rage deleted my game if I lost over 140 hours lol. Good luck. :]

Skux

You know you've been playing too much MGSV when you come across a shipping crate and the first thing you think of is Fulton extracton...

crVtHVS.jpg

Vamphuntr

I'm getting tired of the game already. I just spent half an hour to
quarantine everyone
. It doesn't help I've been stuck at that bullet sponge mission 29. Guess I need to grind rockets and grenade launchers because I fire 30 grenade rounds from a 4 stars launcher on one and it refuses to die. Ugh

quarantine everyone
. It doesn't help I've been stuck at that bullet sponge mission 29. Guess I need to grind rockets and grenade launchers because I fire 30 grenade rounds from a 4 stars launcher on one and it refuses to die. Ugh

Easy S rank for Mission 29:
Battle suit+ Quiet + Sinful Butterfly. She will take one Skull within 3 shots and you can keep shooting at their heads with your Rifle if you want, no need of a launcher. Make sure to first run away from the puppets to the buildings ahead so you can run around them for cover. Secondly don't get grabbed by the puppets.

Also works for Mission

BadWolf

Having an absolute blast during the second playthrough, the gameplay is just sublime and again loving the story. Just hit Chapter 2.

Triggered an alert during one of the retrieval missions (pretty sure it's unavoidable) and was hoping to crawl my way out when I saw a truck drive by which stopped to investigate a soldier I put to sleep. Quietly hoped into the back of the truck and they drove me right out of the very heavily guarded facility, felt so good.

Additionally,
about how close am I to the end of the game? I'm pretty familiar with the whole 45/46 being the last missions thing, but I'm not sure how long it takes to get to those.

Shouldn't be too long now.

You know you've been playing too much MGSV when you come across a shipping crate and the first thing you think of is Fulton extracton...

lol, thought the exact same thing when I saw a truck drive by during my commute.

quarantine everyone

D-Walker + Gatling gun is all you need, it tears through them real fast. Rockets don't feel very effective against them tbh.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
I just unlocked quiet. why does she seem to disappear during parts of the mission? it's like I can run away from her? does she disappear when you're on flat ground without mountains around?

Haunted

I just unlocked quiet. why does she seem to disappear during parts of the mission? it's like I can run away from her? does she disappear when you're on flat ground without mountains around?
She doesn't really move until you assign her to an area (either to scout or to attack). You can do it from the map or the buddy support menu.

Haunted

ohhhh... so she's pretty different from d dog and d horse?
She's not quite as autonomous as DD, you definitely have to order her around a bit more.

But once you've got her in a good spot, she can take care of a lot of enemies herself, which makes her a strong support for clearing out outposts and bases. Gameplay-wise, think of her as stationary scout and sniper support you assign to a certain area instead of a companion who is constantly at your side like DD or D-Horse.

At the start of chapter 2 now and I'm losing my drive to continue. Just too repetitive for me.

Might just go full on rambo for a couple missions and see how I go.

She's not quite as autonomous as DD, you definitely have to order her around a bit more.

But once you've got her in a good spot, she can take care of a lot of enemies herself, which makes her a strong support for clearing out outposts and bases. Gameplay-wise, think of her as stationary scout and sniper support you assign to a certain area instead of a companion who is constantly at your side like DD or D-Horse.

She makes the game easy mode.

Give her a tranq, tell her to cover me, and all is right in the world.

Top Bottom