• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

EVENT UNDERWAY

Oh really? It's not like you've popped up 20 times already with this message... Do I really have to play the infiltration to make it stop?

Not sure if it's the same one I got towards the end of the game, but I just restarted the game and disconnected right away to avoid it.

Batzi

Banned
Phantom Pain... it all makes sense now. Genius, GENIUS!

I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not but the title of the game "Phanom Pain" makes more sense than most of the titles we got in the series. In fact, I think it breaks the 4th wall since it affects the player in a way.
When you finish the game, you will literally look at everything differently. Everytime you look at the protagonist, you will feel something. Everytime someone calls him "boss", you will feel something. The less he speaks the more sense it makes. He's not who he is. He's confused and has no sense of leadership. "Kaz, tell me what to do, like you used to do it". When he said that, I dropped on my knees and started crying.

Are there any videos or good screens of mgs 3 costumes? I wanna buy them, but they looked too fat imo on TGS show. I'd like to take a good look at them before buying.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Just posted in the insurance thread, but after this patch, the majority of the resources I collected (weapons, vehicles, etc.) have been moved over to my "FOB" and I no longer have access to them, which means I an no longer sell them for GMP.

What a bunch of shit. I never should have gone online with this game.

Just posted in the insurance thread, but after this patch, the majority of the resources I collected (weapons, vehicles, etc.) have been moved over to my "FOB" and I no longer have access to them, which means I an no longer sell them for GMP.

What a bunch of shit. I never should have gone online with this game.

What is the max processed resources you have @ MB now? How much went to your FOB?

boswell22

Had a quick look and couldn't see anyone else mentioning this but....

I am doing Mission 12 and when I see enemies in the distance they are running but when I scope in on them they start walking. Anyone else notice this? I have just updated the game and not noticed this before.

This new update is fucking bullshit.

It increases the amouny of GMP/resources/whatever you have when connected online. Cool, right?

No. It keeps things from you for no reason.

Yesterday I had 41 tanks that I planned on selling to fund the development of the new gear; but I can't do that now because the game has decided that while I do have 41 tanks sitting there, I am only allowed to sell 3 of each kind because reasons.

What. The. Fuck.

It increases the amouny of GMP/resources/whatever you have when connected online. Cool, right?

Yesterday I had 41 tanks that I planned on selling to fund the development of the new gear; but I can't do that now because the game has decided that while I do have 41 tanks sitting there, I am only allowed to sell 3 of each kind because reasons.

What. The. Fuck.

Oh there's a reason. They prob wanna force people into the online BS.

What. The. Fuck.

After selling three of them and turning the game off for a while I came back to another 3 ready to sell offline. So it doesn't seem like they are locked online forever, they're just drip feeding them to you for some reason.

It doesn't make any sense.

Oh fuck right off konami.

Once you connect online it pulls large quantities from some of your resources into your FOB and you don't get them back if you disconnect.

I had nearly 20 of each weapon, vehicle, and walker type. Now I only have 3 of each.

I can't tell if it took away any materials or flowers, as I checked after starting development on the new stuff.

Absolute fucking bullshit. They make new shit to develop that all costs ~1 million+, then they take away the shit you've EARNED and arbitrarily limit what you can sell for no fucking reason.

Oh fuck right off konami.

Once you connect online it pulls large quantities from some of your resources into your FOB and you don't get them back if you disconnect.

I had nearly 20 of each weapon, vehicle, and walker type. Now I only have 3 of each.

I can't tell if it took away any materials or flowers, as I checked after starting development on the new stuff.

Absolute fucking bullshit. They make new shit to develop that all costs ~1 million+, then they take away the shit you've EARNED and arbitrarily limit what you can sell for no fucking reason.

Also, the online resources aren't used for developing stuff, so far everything I tried exclusively used my offline resources. The online stuff is just there doing nothing.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

What. The. Fuck.

Is this serious...? That's some real trash.

The fact that I cant have
Quiet
and
Raiden
suit at the same time irritates me

If you're on PC, there is a mod to get
her
back.

Did one of the event FOB missions. Pretty pointless, but you get an S++ staff member for each platform you intrued the first time so that's cool.

But I still get the Event Notification every 5 minutes I open the iDroid, so that'sll get annoying very quickly..

EDIT: Gonna cross-post my findings about the new resource system here
Still not entirely sure how it works

I'm trying to figure out the new resources system so here's some screenshots

u5ov0hL.jpg

oQ2IXdc.jpg

WS3NRvk.jpg

So this is how it looks like after the patch.
As you can see I haven't hit the limits for plants, yet some are still stored online. Since those are very even numbers they are probably something I got through online rewards or something, not sure. Still not sure how I benefit from that though.

The vehicles screen is interesting because last time I played today a few hours ago, the TT77 entry showed 0 offline and 8 online, but after logging in again now I have 3 offline and 5 online. So I guess stuff is automatically moved between the storages at some point. After selling the three I had now nothing I do replenishes them automatically though.

It's all still very confusing and needlessly complicated.. There also doesn't seem to be a way ro see how much of your GMP is stored online.

EDIT: I developed something that cost 2000 Minor Metal and it took everything out of my offline pool. So you can't sell the online resources and you can't use them.. what's the point?

Quick

Banned
I just unlocked FOBs. After hearing all the shit about it, I'm not exactly looking forward to what comes with it.

In terms of single player, I finished Episode 20, 21, and 22.

Episode 20 took me two tries.

I planted a C4 charge on the nearest water tower by the building, since I saw a video of someone doing this and beating The Man On Fire (MOF) easily with that method.

So, I was running away from MOF inside the building and when I got outside, I made a wrong turn into a wall of fire, and had a part of the roof land on me, trapping me while I burned to death. DEAD.

Second attempt, I learned my lesson. I ran outside, ran past the wall of fire, ran towards the water tower. Let MOF get close enough, and I blew it up and doused him. I thought I was done, so I tried to Fulton him, but the kid brought him back to life. Instead of Fultoning him, I should have gotten the fuck away, like Miller was telling me.

So, I ran towards the tunnel I entered, and it collapsed (Miller or Ocelot did warn me that it could happen any time while I was going through it). I ran off to get a jeep to try and run him over the cliff (saw a gif of that working). I ran him over a couple of times, but he eventually blew up the jeep. I was on fire and it looked like I was going to die soon, so I ran to the pond - I figured he wouldn't be able to at least get really close to me.

I was resigned to dying and having to do it over, so I looked for him just waiting for him to attack, and he ended up standing in front of the giant gas tank. I shot the tank and it blew up, sending him into the pond. It was a fucking miracle.

Episode 21 was pretty straightforward, but I fucked up stealth and got a B. Oh well.

I just had Quiet cover me (and ordered her to snipe off any snipers) and I took out ground soldiers. Ran in, extracted my target, fultoned a few walkers, and fultoned all the containers and fultoned myself on one of them.

Episode 22:
Attack on Mother Base - this is where FOBs unlocked for me. Will attacks on Mother Base happen again in single player in a similar fashion?

Haunted

Episode 22:
Attack on Mother Base - this is where FOBs unlocked for me. Will attacks on Mother Base happen again in single player in a similar fashion?
Not really, no. View it as a tutorial for online invasions etc.

Greye

I just started the game and it hit me that Boss doesn't have a weapon in his hand, ready for combat, while walking/sneaking. I believe in MGS4 he had his gun out all the time unless you'd unequip. Does anyone know why he auto holsters his weapons? Looks weird to infiltrate without a weapon in hand.

A few questions re: very late chapter 2:

I'm pretty much at the point (waiting for episode 43 to pop up) where I think the only way to get the game to progress is to remove the Butterfly emblem. Are there any missions in particular that need (or could really benefit) from having Quiet around for an S-Rank, before she takes off for good?

Part of me wants to try and tackle everything while she's around, but at the same time I feel like I've used her as a crutch for most missions. I also know that most missions can be S-Ranked by just going for the shortest possible time, so there's that, too.

The only other possible thing that could keep that mission from popping up is one of the combat development missions. My crew only shows a 53% chance of succeeding, and I've failed it twice so far. Not sure I can fail it again without replaying more missions to extract Walker Gears for it.

Do I just need better guys?

I just started the game and it hit me that Boss doesn't have a weapon in his hand, ready for combat, while walking/sneaking. I believe in MGS4 he had his gun out all the time unless you'd unequip. Does anyone know why he auto holsters his weapons? Looks weird to infiltrate without a weapon in hand.

They abandoned the whole "CQC being a handgun and a knife at once" style in Peace Walker (probably because the gameplay benefits weren't necessary for the controls it and GZ/TPP have). I far prefer the barehanded CQC this game has myself, feels much more.. classic somehow.

Quick question, was the patch that came out today an actual patch for the game or was it an online patch through Konami's server(one you cant stop)?

BadWolf

A few questions re: very late chapter 2:

I'm pretty much at the point (waiting for episode 43 to pop up) where I think the only way to get the game to progress is to remove the Butterfly emblem. Are there any missions in particular that need (or could really benefit) from having Quiet around for an S-Rank, before she takes off for good?

The Quiet final missions are her story specific, you don't need them to finish the main story.

Do the following to progress with the main story:
- Listen to all yellow tapes
- Do yellow story missions and yellow side ops
- If the above are done then do some regular side ops, doing 3 or so makes new story missions pop up.

You don't need to do any of the harder difficulty repeat missions to progress the story, those are completely optional.

Renewed

This update to online resources is kind of annoying...

I wanted to build a nuke (sue me) and I figured now that I'm almost done S ranking and getting mission tasks, I'd go and build one. But now it takes online resources of the same quantity (75,000 fuel and 50,000 minor metal) to build it. And unless they can let me place my offline resources into online, then this is gonna take a while. Could have just done it yesterday...

RedSwirl

Huh. By
keeping Quiet with me I ended up unlocking Mission 46 before Mission 45. What happens if I go ahead and complete 46? Without spoiling much, what should I do to be ready for 45?

For right now I'm going to complete as many side ops as possible with Quiet, then let her go.

J.EM1

Huh. By
keeping Quiet with me I ended up unlocking Mission 46 before Mission 45. What happens if I go ahead and complete 46? Without spoiling much, what should I do to be ready for 45?

For right now I'm going to complete as many side ops as possible with Quiet, then let her go.
Completing 46 finishes the main story. Completing 45 finishes her story.

As for being prepared for 45.. launchers, explosives, battle dress, fulton all the things.

RedSwirl

Completing 46 finishes the main story. Completing 45 finishes her story.

As for being prepared for 45.. launchers, explosives, battle dress, fulton all the things.

So basically, come prepared for an armor battle. Got it.

I actually haven't been using D-Walker at all up to this point but recently started upgrading it.

backlot

Wow, the online storage stuff in the new patch sure is shitty. I got disconnected from the server mid mission for no apparent reason and went deep into the red due to all my GMP being online. Finished the mission and staff morale dropped so much due to being in the red that it showed a cutscene of my soldiers fighting each other. Why the fuck would they design it like this?

Top Bottom