• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

The change they made to auto assign is just what I was hoping for and they fixed online deployments to make them actually worth doing which is nice.

Edit: Nevermind they just added harder ones lol

The change they made to auto assign is just what I was hoping for and they fixed online deployments to make them actually worth doing which is nice.

Edit: Nevermind they just added harder ones lol
the S+ reward one with A+ difficult had a 3% chance to success for my S rank soldiers lol... even the A difficult one was like 8%. wtf is with that lol? if you pay to instant finish with MB, does it instantly succeed, too?

so they make it take 3 days and have less than 9% chance to success basically just let you use MB coins to buy S+ soldiers?

Caode

Now that we live in a post patch 1.04 world, removed from that fucking blueprint glitch, this is finally mine.

AePREQD.jpg

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
1) The backlog
Soooo... I've yet to unwrap my copy of MGS V, since I've yet to play GZ and I also wanted to finally beat MG3+PW before that but so far what I heard of PP is that the story in this is very lacking so how necessary it is to beat those before diving in? Could I maybe just go back to those two at a later time?

2) Becoming Master Snake
As far as playing the game well does the "campaign" have proper tutorial missions where you learn all the crazy fun shit you can do with BB and are introduced to new gadgets/weapons/gameplay mechanics or, as usual with MGS games, you're on your own and the sky's the limit as far as things you'd never dream of are indeed possible (cue that MGS3 video)? If so, is there a good YT "tutorial" to watch that you guys could link me to? Would really appreciate it.

Roni

Gold Member
1) The backlog
Soooo... I've yet to unwrap my copy of MGS V, since I've yet to play GZ and I also wanted to finally beat MG3+PW before that but so far what I heard of PP is that the story in this is very lacking so how necessary it is to beat those before diving in? Could I maybe just go back to those two at a later time?

2) Becoming Master Snake
As far as playing the game well does the "campaign" have proper tutorial missions where you learn all the crazy fun shit you can do with BB and are introduced to new gadgets/weapons/gameplay mechanics or, as usual with MGS games, you're on your own and the sky's the limit as far as things you'd never dream of are indeed possible (cue that MGS3 video)? If so, is there a good YT "tutorial" to watch that you guys could link me to? Would really appreciate it.

Game's story is pretty self-contained. Major links to other games and the real importance of MGSV is likely to go over your head without you even noticing if you haven't played the rest.

As for tutorials, you get a few early missions that attempt to expose you to some of the mechanics, but nothing crazy. I'd say you're on your own for the most part.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Game's story is pretty self-contained. Major links to other games and the real importance of MGSV is likely to go over your head without you even noticing if you haven't played the rest.

As for tutorials, you get a few early missions that attempt to expose you to some of the mechanics, but nothing crazy. I'd say you're on your own for the most part.

1) I beat all the other games (minus the PSP stuff, tho I always wanted to play the Ac!d games and I will in the future) multiple times but every time I went through MGS3/Sub/MGS3 3D I then stopped 3/4 of the way for one reason or another. PW and GZ I've never played at all. Got those games in the HD Coll. tho. So I should just go back to those after PP and won't realky ruin anything major?

2) too bad. Hopefully sone other folks in here will win the interwebz for me and link an awesome video :p
I want to be ready for MGO3 and I loved doing crazy shit in the other games.

Thanks for the reply!

Special C

Trying to figure out if it was the patch or the New X1 dashboard preview that broke my game. Got them both at the same time. Loading is atrocious and my game locks up at times.

Roni

Gold Member
1) I beat all the other games (minus the PSP stuff, tho I always wanted to play the Ac!d games and I will in the future) multiple times but every time I went through MGS3/Sub/MGS3 3D I then stopped 3/4 of the way for one reason or another. PW and GZ I've never played at all. Got those games in the HD Coll. tho. So I should just go back to those after PP and won't realky ruin anything major?

2) too bad. Hopefully sone other folks in here will win the interwebz for me and link an awesome video :p
I want to be ready for MGO3 and I loved doing crazy shit in the other games.

Thanks for the reply!

You may get some of the basics down if you've played 75% of 3. But what this game draws on the most is still Peace Walker and Ground Zeroes. Try to play at least Ground Zeroes' main mission. Gameplay is basically the same and I'd say you will be lost if you don't experience that story first.

RedSwirl

1) The backlog

TPP is pretty much the sequel to Peace Walker, which is pretty much the sequel to MGS3. TPP actually has about as much story as any Metal Gear game, it's just spread out over the course of a 50+-hour game (100+ if you do side missions) instead of a six-hour game.

It feels like a sequel to PW in terms of both story and gameplay. All the major characters are people originally introduced in MGS3 and PW. The series overall from a gameplay standpoint has gone through some really fundamental shifts since MGS2. MGS3 alone is actually a pretty big adjustment gameplay-wise compared to 2, and PW is another big adjustment from that. A lot of the negativity surrounding TPP is honestly just people who haven't played a Metal Gear since MGS4, or even 3, and got a huge shock from being introduced to the PSP framework for the first time.

Aurongel

Still stuck on mission 45 for four fucking hours now, no way to escape it, no way to aquire GMP to develop heavy weapons.

The game is literally stuck in an infinite loop of one hit kills and GMP drains. Who designed this trash?

Shadybiz

lol how the hell do you quit out of mgso??

When I was playing tonight, I think I saw that if you press the left side of the touchpad (if you're on PS4), there is an option down at the bottom to "Go back to MGSV: The Phantom Pain" or something like that. Not sure what it is on other systems though.

malfcn

I wish I could change my name in the game.
Haven't completely beat the game, so I don't want spoilers (expecting).

But I have put way too much time into the game to restart it for this reason.

Still stuck on mission 45 for four fucking hours now, no way to escape it, no way to aquire GMP to develop heavy weapons.

The game is literally stuck in an infinite loop of one hit kills and GMP drains. Who designed this trash?

Use the EMP mines, fulton the vehicles, use the air support on the one hit kill tank.

Wow, the online storage stuff in the new patch sure is shitty. I got disconnected from the server mid mission for no apparent reason and went deep into the red due to all my GMP being online. Finished the mission and staff morale dropped so much due to being in the red that it showed a cutscene of my soldiers fighting each other. Why the fuck would they design it like this?

They designed it like that because they're fucking idiots.

The new storage shit robs you of what you have earned over the entire time you've played (over 300hrs for me) and holds them hostage for some unknown reason, with no apparent way to get them back.

It's fucking bullshit and it needs to be returned to how it was.

So are the costumes up on PSN in North America? I cannot find them.

Not up. Konami/Sony fucked up.

marcincz

Guys I want to obtain 43 mission. Do I need complete all dot "yellow" missions for my crew? Or all yellow side missions, missions and tapes are enough?

When I was playing tonight, I think I saw that if you press the left side of the touchpad (if you're on PS4), there is an option down at the bottom to "Go back to MGSV: The Phantom Pain" or something like that. Not sure what it is on other systems though.
I think that's probably the confusing part, I've seen a few other ppl post the same thing and it even took me for a few games because you have to press and hold hard now to bring up the Options/Help menu rather than just touch (which brings up Friends now or something).

Greye

They abandoned the whole "CQC being a handgun and a knife at once" style in Peace Walker (probably because the gameplay benefits weren't necessary for the controls it and GZ/TPP have). I far prefer the barehanded CQC this game has myself, feels much more.. classic somehow.
Ditching the knife and gun combo, I understand. But I still think it's weird he grabs his rifle/gun when you aim, but instantly holsters the weapon afterwards. I mean, why would you holster your weapon in the middle of a firefight with multiple hostiles. Might be non issue gameplaywise, but it still kinda bugs me

Setsuna

They abandoned the whole "CQC being a handgun and a knife at once" style in Peace Walker (probably because the gameplay benefits weren't necessary for the controls it and GZ/TPP have). I far prefer the barehanded CQC this game has myself, feels much more.. classic somehow.

Well technically Peace walker
Big Boss who created cqc
, MGS 4
Solid Snake forgo cqc to cqb
, The Phantom Pain
Venom big boss

Ditching the knife and gun combo, I understand. But I still think it's weird he grabs his rifle/gun when you aim, but instantly holsters the weapon afterwards. I mean, why would you holster your weapon in the middle of a firefight with multiple hostiles. Might be non issue gameplaywise, but it still kinda bugs me
yeah i sort of miss the option to keep the gun in hand, or your secondary arms visible.

Can somebody help me please? I have no idea how to progress the story.

I've done all missions so far
Episode 40 was the last one I did. The [Extreme] bullshit with the Skulls.
, I've done all of the important side-ops and listened to all the cassettes.

Now nothing is happening. I have no mission.

Surely I don't have to complete ALL of the side-ops do I?

Gurish

Can anyone explain to me why I sometimes fulton an "S" ranked soldier and he doesn't show up in my MB?

Game tells me the soldier have been extracted and arrived to MB, I'm looking at my crew and searching for him everywhere (including the Grid) and he isn't there, or at least the S ranking doesn't show, it happened to me twice yesterday, they had the "Bloater" skill, whatever that means.

Can anyone explain to me why I sometimes fulton an "S" ranked soldier and he doesn't show up in my MB?

Game tells me the soldier have been extracted and arrived to MB, I'm looking at my crew and searching for him everywhere (including the Grid) and he isn't there, or at least the S ranking doesn't show, it happened to me twice yesterday, they had the "Bloater" skill, whatever that means.

"Boaster" skill. He's boasting about how good he is, but in reality...

Roni

Gold Member
Can somebody help me please? I have no idea how to progress the story.

I've done all missions so far
Episode 40 was the last one I did. The [Extreme] bullshit with the Skulls.
, I've done all of the important side-ops and listened to all the cassettes.

Now nothing is happening. I have no mission.

Surely I don't have to complete ALL of the side-ops do I?

Is Quiet at full bond? If so, just keep doing Side Ops/Missions.

BadWolf

She is, yes.

So carry on doing side-ops and I'll eventually get a new mission?

I was hoping to get this done by the end of the week. God dammit.

You just have to do a few side ops, 3 or so will open more story missions up.

The hard repeat missions (extreme etc.) are all optional btw, you don't have to do any of them to progress the story.

muteki

She is, yes.

So carry on doing side-ops and I'll eventually get a new mission?

I was hoping to get this done by the end of the week. God dammit.

I'm not sure if it had anything to do with it, but I had to switch what buddy I was using in the side ops for the next mission to pop there.

Caode

Oh they fixed it? Did it correct that mission not displaying a rank too?

Congrats on plat. How long did it take?

Yeah it fixed both of those issues as far as I'm aware. My total playtime was about 214 hours. It's not a tough platinum at all but just really time consuming.

Super late game spoiler-y question:

Finally got the "Exile Huey" cutscene to pop up, so now I can either pursue Side-Op 150/Episode 45, or jump straight into episode 46.

A friend of mine tells me to do 46 first, then 45, since it makes for a somewhat better ending, but what do you all think?

Javier23

Banned

Finally got the "Exile Huey" cutscene to pop up, so now I can either pursue Side-Op 150/Episode 45, or jump straight into episode 46.

A friend of mine tells me to do 46 first, then 45, since it makes for a somewhat better ending, but what do you all think?
If you ask me, whichever way you do it, is gonna end up being weird. By the time you see the credits roll down for the third time you're not feeling much anymore. Not like the first time was great either...

That said, I'd say 46 last should be better.

BadWolf

Your friend's suggestion is how I ended up doing it and it worked out great.

Lettuce

Ok, did i completely miss this rather big story plot or was it not explained properly at all......

At what point was the player told that Eli could possibly be Big Boss's Clone or actual Son!!??. I just got this revelation thrown at me just now when Eli hijacked Sahelanthropus and listed to the tape from Ocelot.

Was this well documented in the actual game at some point??

Javier23

Banned
Ok, did i completely miss this rather big story plot or was it not explained properly at all......

At what point was the player told that Eli could possibly be Big Boss's Clone or actual Son!!??. I just got this revelation thrown at me just now when Eli hijacked Sahelanthropus and listed to the tape from Ocelot.

I'm trying but I'm not getting the question. Obviously, It's been known that Liquid is BB's clone ever since MGS1. If you are asking when in MGSV you are told that Eli was a product of the LET project, I don't remember, but you do seem to answer yourself.

BadWolf

They tell you about the Les Enfantes Terribles project in tapes and also about cloning. They also mention it in Peace Walker. Most people figured it was young Liquid (from MGS1) since the trailers.

muteki

IMO 45 is the best "climax" you are going to get while 46 is better as a denouement for the whole story. Going the other way around seems wierd to me, and what you learn in 46 doesn't really add to/take away from 45.

Lettuce

I'm trying but I'm not getting the question. Obviously, It's been known that Liquid is BB's clone ever since MGS1. If you are asking when in MGSV you are told that Eli was a product of the LET project, I don't remember, but you do seem to answer yourself.

They tell you about the Les Enfantes Terribles project in tapes and also about cloning. They also mention it in Peace Walker. Most people figured it was young Liquid (from MGS1) since the trailers.

Yeah i know about the cloning and Les Enfantes Terrible from previous games but actual Eli possibly being a clone and them doing DNA tests on him to see if he had BB DNA....i never knew anything about that until Eli hijacked Sahelanthropus and called him 'Father' and i was like 'wtf why'd he call him that' and it wasnt until i listen to the tape that unlocked right after that cut scene that i even knew anything about Eli possibly being a clone or blood relation to BB!!. I listen to almost all the tapes and watch the cut scenes up to this point and was never made aware of Eli being a clone.....seems a pretty big aspect for it to be not highlighted and made a big point of

seems a pretty big aspect for it to be not highlighted and made a big point of
They do make a big point of it though. It's just presented in a way that Big Boss is only now learning about his son, so it is made to come off sudden and confusing for him.

Javier23

Banned
Yeah i know about the cloning and Les Enfantes Terrible from previous games but actual Eli possibly being a clone and them doing DNA tests on him to see if he had BB DNA....i never knew anything about that until Eli hijacked Sahelanthropus and called him 'Father' and i was like 'wtf why'd he call him that' and it wasnt until i listen to the tape that unlocked right after that cut scene that i even knew anything about Eli possibly being a clone or blood relation to BB!!. I listen to almost all the tapes and watch the cut scenes up to this point and was never made aware of Eli being a clone.....seems a pretty big aspect for it to be not highlighted and made a big point of
Just a question. You do realise Eli is Liquid Snake, right?

The thread is slowly becoming a declassified CIA document.

Oh god Mission
can fuck off.

Every time I get up to (what I suppose!) is the last tank and helicopter, the tank either snipes me from way up on its hill, the chopper refuses to lock-on with the CGM, or some goon finds his way up to me and gets me (my fault for not having any sort of rifle or handgun with me - all explosives, just in case!).

Every time.

Top Bottom