• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Does the water pistol work on the Man on Fire? I'm getting conflicting info.

I'm about to face him in
Chapter 20
. Anything I should know going in?

BadWolf

Love how the song
The Man Who Sold the World
goes hand in hand with the game.

After you finish the game you realize that
the lyrics basically tell you the plot
:

We passed upon the stair,
We spoke of was and when,
Although I wasn't there,
He said I was his friend,
Which came as some surprise.
I spoke into his eyes,
"I thought you died alone
A long long time ago."

"Oh no, not me,
I never lost control
You're face to face
With the man who sold the world."

I laughed and shook his hand
And made my way back home,
I searched for form and land,
For years and years I roamed.
I gazed a gazley stare
At all the millions here:
"We must have died alone,
A long long time ago."

The song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYEK_yvIWas

max_505

Love how the song
The Man Who Sold the World
goes hand in hand with the game.

After you finish the game you realize that
the lyrics basically tell you the plot
:

Didn't notice that at all. It seems to fit perfectly. Nice find.

I wonder how Kojima chose the song in the first place. Was the twist inspired by the song or did he write the twist first and then looked for a song with lyrics similar to the twist?

hmmm, i played pitch dark (perfect stealth) yesterday and i turned off the oil transfer pump first and then blew the tank while i was in the big pipe and when i did it warped me to a different place

but when i first did that optional objective a few weeks ago i turned off the oil transfer pump first then planted the c-4 then got out of the base completely and then blew up the tank from a vantage point over looking the oil field and remained there once the cutscene played out, weird that you cannot detonate the c-4 from far away because i could, if you are still having trouble i can post that video tomorrow

But I went much farther away than a vantage point. I went almost all the way South to the village. That was apparently too far.

rififi

I'm about to face him in
Chapter 20

Yes, I just redid the mission to S rank it yesterday and the water pistol worked so well to defeat him - I also just stayed in the water pool in the middle of the level so that he can't get close to me.
I think the water pistol may be upgradable though, so maybe the early versions don't work as well if you are getting conflicting info.

Quick

Banned

I'm about to face him in
Chapter 20

Plant a C4 on the closest water tower to the building and blow it up when he gets close enough.

Then run to the pond, wait until he stands in front of the gas tank, and shoot the tank.

On Demand

Banned
This game badly needs a briefing section where it list all your current weapon developments and other updates. The scrolling info on the screen goes by too quick. I just had over 10 updates at once and I have no idea what they were about.

Renewed

This game badly needs a briefing section where it list all your current weapon developments and other updates. The scrolling info on the screen goes by too quick. I just had over 10 updates at once and I have no idea what they were about.

Do you mean the Log in your iDroid or something else?

Renewed

How do I get to customizing weapons in the first place? At mission 43.

There's a chain of side ops where you need to rescue a master gunsmith. Once you've completed that you unlock it in your customize menu from your iDroid in the ACC.

Didn't want to post again, so I'll add to this: Everytime I start the game up, I look forward to getting more mission tasks done and then I see a "hear all conversations" task. I immediately feel sick and and just stop playing. Traitor's Caravan didn't play any of the conversations, I can't take this anymore.

Finished this today after 5 long weeks.

100% GET!

9mAlUT4.jpg

Platinum trophy GET!!!!!

N5Ai8j6.jpg

Umm...213 hours of playtime get!

TcqFcG5.jpg

What do I do with my life now? :(

Ratrat

I thought it was a nice moment where they just goof off, which was really needed after all the heavy stuff before it.
Its all over the place. It goes from 'creepy erotic' to 'playful' to 'awkward romance'. Im pretty sure it was the first cutscene after she gets tortured for me so it felt strange as hell.

Dranakin

So, I just realized that you can take other characters on Side Op missions (I only bothered to change camo gear when in the Character tab previously). Is there a particular reason to take someone else on missions besides Snake? Do other characters have the same "stats" (accuracy with weapons, ability to tag, etc.)? I imagine the roboarm and its abilities are gone.

Golnei

So, I just realized that you can take other characters on Side Op missions (I only bothered to change camo gear when in the Character tab previously). Is there a particular reason to take someone else on missions besides Snake? Do other characters have the same "stats" (accuracy with weapons, ability to tag, etc.)? I imagine the roboarm and its abilities are gone.

You can use them in most missions, not just side ops - though they can't show up in cutscenes without a mod. As for the tradeoffs of the bionic arm; it's not a net gain from a gameplay perspective, but a number of staff have additional skills that only become active when playing as them. Other than that, most people just choose to play as generic soldiers if they have one they happen to like the look of, or if they just want a different face to play as for a few hours.

myco666

Go through
the back
there are usually 2 or no guards

Okay which one is the front? I meant the one where
you can get immediately to the basement after walking through the door. Is it front or back? With the other one you have to go through many rooms before you can get to the basement. Always though that was the back since I would assume front door is the one where you can get with a car.

I just got the
quiet rain scene
, man its so hard to be a kojima fan sometimes..so much cringe.

The first half of it is really bad. I though the second half was nice though. The first half would be fine if the camera work wouldn't be so horrible.

MNC

Question about unlocking further story missions (I am aware of the KEEP PLAYING SIDE OPS)

I finished Mission 43 (Quarantine Platform) and listened to the tapes revealing Emmerich's shit. I have all yellow stuff done (tapes, side ops, main ops) so I'm going to continue playing the side ops.

Questions:

1) How many story missions left? (45 is a quiet mission for not the main story?) Is it mission 46?

2) I read somewhere you need Mother Base fully upgraded. They're kidding, right?

Also hate how some narrative is being handled.
"I was right. I win." - It makes it seem like huge foreshadowing, a plot twist or a return of some character, and it turns out it was some stupid scientist that wasn't a snail. Man.

myco666

Question about unlocking further story missions (I am aware of the KEEP PLAYING SIDE OPS)

I finished Mission 43 (Quarantine Platform) and listened to the tapes revealing Emmerich's shit. I have all yellow stuff done (tapes, side ops, main ops) so I'm going to continue playing the side ops.

Questions:

1) How many story missions left? (45 is a quiet mission for not the main story?) Is it mission 46?

2) I read somewhere you need Mother Base fully upgraded. They're kidding, right?

Also hate how some narrative is being handled.
"I was right. I win." - It makes it seem like huge foreshadowing, a plot twist or a return of some character, and it turns out it was some stupid scientist that wasn't a snail. Man.

1. Mission 46 is the last Main mission you have left. 45 is side story mission.
2. You definetily don't need fully upgraded MB for the ending. I got my last upgrades way after beating the story.

Zach

Has someone posted a list of missions to S-rank with Quiet
before she leaves/dies/whatever
? I ask because I think I'll eventually want to 100% the game, but I'd hate to go back to replay an extremely difficult mission that would've otherwise been easy
had I used Quiet

Thanks for any tips.

sam777

I haven't got episode
45, I have got episode 46 though, which is meant to be the true ending, is it meant to be like this or should I have received episode 45?

BadWolf

Didn't notice that at all. It seems to fit perfectly. Nice find.

I wonder how Kojima chose the song in the first place. Was the twist inspired by the song or did he write the twist first and then looked for a song with lyrics similar to the twist?

Was curious as to this as well, they do sync perfectly like you said.

I haven't got episode
45, I have got episode 46 though, which is meant to be the true ending, is it meant to be like this or should I have received episode 45?

That's normal, 45 needs specific conditions to be met for it to appear.

So I'm on mission
and this is pretty much far and away my GOTY.
I'm pretty sure I have the twist figured out (but no spoilers pls), but I'm honestly just enthralled with the whole thing. I definitely see why people expecting something more like MGS4 would be disappointed, but I'm loving how much the game nails the feel of these characters all developing into something that we as the player come to know as antagonists. I think the approach towards more player-involved storytelling is an interesting one too, and one that really supports the design choices enforced by the more open gameplay. I do wanna see what I think of the ending and twist, since I think Kojima is typically one of the only developers to be able to incorporate plot and gameplay design into a cohesive theme, but so far I'm pretty thrilled.
Hope it keeps up!

BadWolf

Well shit. Kinda disappointed!

Why? The two main areas are freaking huge, much bigger than the previous games combined. Same goes for Motherbase.

So I'm on mission
and this is pretty much far and away my GOTY.
I'm pretty sure I have the twist figured out (but no spoilers pls), but I'm honestly just enthralled with the whole thing. I definitely see why people expecting something more like MGS4 would be disappointed, but I'm loving how much the game nails the feel of these characters all developing into something that we as the player come to know as antagonists. I think the approach towards more player-involved storytelling is an interesting one too, and one that really supports the design choices enforced by the more open gameplay. I do wanna see what I think of the ending and twist, since I think Kojima is typically one of the only developers to be able to incorporate plot and gameplay design into a cohesive theme, but so far I'm pretty thrilled.
Hope it keeps up!

Looking forward to your final impressions :)

Would be very surprised if MGSV gets dethroned as my GOTG.

Looking forward to your final impressions :)

Would be very surprised if MGSV gets dethroned as my GOTG.

I'll definitely post at length here once I finish it; was really surprised to see a lot of the negative impressions here and in the community thread, but I can definitely understand why some people might be disappointed. Metal Gear is kind of an interesting series in there are a lot of different entry points for any given person, and naturally this difference sort of reflects what people "expect" from the series. For example, someone who started the series with MGS4 might be more interested in and expectant of those larger, more exposition-heavy cutscenes, while someone who started with 2 might have a fondness for the "artsy" side of the series.

It's a really great series for that too, since no two iterations ever really feel the same; in that way, I think the series' diversity in the midst of a few unifying factors and design elements is really its most interesting strength. MGSV contributes to that pretty effectively, while still iteration on and calling back to elements and themes explored in previous games (which is fitting, given its role as the presumed last "proper" entry).

tl;dr I think I really like MGSV so far because it's not exactly what I expected or wanted, but that's what Metal Gear really should be, in my opinion.

I thought it was a nice moment where they just goof off, which was really needed after all the heavy stuff before it.

It would have been touching if Quiet had some clothes on, just too hard to take the character seriously in that attire. I usually let Kojima have a pass on the wacky stuff but was taken back once i realized we are seeing this stuff in 2015..

Also, it sucks that you have to play previous episodes on extreme difficulty for the story to move on. Not liking it one bit.

NoFoX

How the hell can i finish the "Eliminate the Dictator" dispatch mission?
I had 1 S++, 2 S+ and 7 S and i lost... + my S++ died.
How do i get this?

BTW:
In the guid it says it's a "A" Mission, but for me it's a "S" mission :-/

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
It would have been touching if Quiet had some clothes on, just too hard to take the character seriously in that attire. I usually let Kojima have a pass on the wacky stuff but was taken back once i realized we are seeing this stuff in 2015..

First half wa hideously out of place. Taken on it's own, the second half is quite sweet.

Also, it sucks that you have to play previous episodes on extreme difficulty for the story to move on. Not liking it one bit.

You don't.

BadWolf

I'll definitely post at length here once I finish it; was really surprised to see a lot of the negative impressions here and in the community thread, but I can definitely understand why some people might be disappointed. Metal Gear is kind of an interesting series in there are a lot of different entry points for any given person, and naturally this difference sort of reflects what people "expect" from the series. For example, someone who started the series with MGS4 might be more interested in and expectant of those larger, more exposition-heavy cutscenes, while someone who started with 2 might have a fondness for the "artsy" side of the series.

It's a really great series for that too, since no two iterations ever really feel the same; in that way, I think the series' diversity in the midst of a few unifying factors and design elements is really its most interesting strength. MGSV contributes to that pretty effectively, while still iteration on and calling back to elements and themes explored in previous games (which is fitting, given its role as the presumed last "proper" entry).

tl;dr I think I really like MGSV so far because it's not exactly what I expected or wanted, but that's what Metal Gear really should be, in my opinion.

Well said, that is why it exceeded my (insane) expectations (there is nothing that excites me more than a new MGS or KOF, nothing).

They finally struck a perfect balance between gameplay and story, where you feel like you are getting an excellent dose of both instead of it tilting more into the direction of long cutscenes (which I had no problem with but there is no denying that a better balance is preferred, especially when the gameplay is so damn good).

People, and iirc even Kojima himself later, joked about the long cutscenes of MGS4 so it was only expected that there would be something done. According to Kojima's own words, MGSV would require the player to piece the story together instead of having it being linear and like you said, especially for an open world game, that was a perfect fit.

Whoever came up with the idea of tapes at KojiPro for Peace Walker solved their problem of long cutscenes, a lot of those tapes are so good in MGSV (the Chico tapes, Paz tapes and others I won't mentioned due to spoilers) that I would take them over cutscenes any day. This again involves the player more, where his or her imagination fills in the blanks and then some.

Some people seem to be pissed that the expectations and theories they had for the story didn't pan out and that's unfortunate for them but the way MGSV was constantly playing with my expectations up until the very end was the best part for me, Kojima couldn't have finished the series on a better note.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I'm curious what the initial 5 open world zones were that were planned for the game.

In game, if using a VERY loose definition of "zones" we could say there are Afghanistan, Africa, Motherbase, and the hospital (but come on, the hospital?)

Lets assume the hospital doesn't count, and that Ground Zeroes was originally meant to be a part of the main package (ala MGS2). That has us at 4.

Do you think the 5th would have been the island in episode 51? There is something about this game that just makes me wish there was more to it. It would have been so great to revisit Camp Omega in MGSV. Even just one more zone would have elevated the game by a huge margin.

Golnei

and the hospital (but come on, the hospital?)

Including the surrounding outdoor areas, it's a reasonably large map, even if it's not comparable to the size of the open world ones. An extended hallucination sequence would have been a fairly good way to reuse it, as well as continue Kojima's newfound fascination with horror. It's sort of a shame that the hospital wasn't used for much actual gameplay, just a series of setpieces...

Do you think the 5th would have been the island in episode 51? There is something about this game that just makes me wish there was more to it. It would have been so great to revisit Camp Omega in MGSV. Even just one more zone would have elevated the game by a huge margin.

It seems like the Episode 51 island was supposed to be a separate map, so probably. I couldn't imagine it being smaller than Camp Omega, at least; especially since it was supposed to
house Sahelanthropus.
Though in terms of what the game needed, although a more fleshed-out jungle environment like the island seems to have had would have been great, I still would have loved a region with snow...

Renewed

Another 5% of missions tasks to go and some 37 animals to hunt and I'm out of here. Maybe I'll find MGS Legacy Collection and go back to those games. Heck maybe even get the ending of MGS4 on my own.

(story is: played MGS4 up to microwave hall with my neighbour and a couple days later we come over to see the end but it turned out he sold his PS3 for a 360.)

Steel

Banned
Hmmm... D-horse just died(like, extracted and went to the MB, and was confirmed dead), and I completed the mission. Anyway for me to get another horse, or am I fucked?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Hmmm... D-horse just died(like, extracted and went to the MB, and was confirmed dead), and I completed the mission. Anyway for me to get another horse, or am I fucked?

I'm pretty sure that's not permanent.

Well... that was an ending. And yeah, Chapter 2 really is a mess.
Feels like it was when either Kojima ran out of something or Konami went and just said "**** you, we can do it better than you." I dunno. So it explains why there are two Big Bosses in MG1 and 2. I am sad Quiet had to go. I really did like Quiet. Eli's story (he's Liquid, of course) just stops and it's like... huh? It does explain Miller and Ocelot's stances though in all this and for the future. Paz's end was... something? You did all that it turns out she's not even ****ing real. Jesus...

Also, as a side thing, Mission 42 is one of the most frustrating missions I've ever done in a game. Holy **** was it hard.

Did a bunch of side ops and returned to 21 E rank volunteers. Thanks I guess?

Anyway, I need to unlock missions
45/46
now, so I think I'm almost done.

I'm liking the game, but it's definitely not even close to my favourite in the series, and it's probably 3rd as my GotY so far behind Splatoon and Bloodborne.

Top Bottom