• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

i've had an upwards of 30 or so before if I spend a really really long time out in the field taking over outposts or guard posts and doing SIDE OPs... was it after a mission or had it been like 8 hours since you last visited the ACC or otherwise any sort of loading screen?

So my base platforms are currently at 4/3/3/3/4/3/3, but should I stop making them and start the nuke development considering it takes a stupid 24 hours and I don't want to be left just leaving my console running to get the timer up because I've run out of things to do lol.

Mature

Do you need all the emblems for 100% completion? Because
I don't have Quiet anymore and never got the Butterfly rank. Guess I probably didn't get all her gear either. Probably screwed!

MNC

I'm really intrigued and think my post on the last page probably got burried but is this ever normal?

I was so happy and so confused at the same time that it literally just kept going forever.

Woah. Also, I don't think I've seen that language before.

HardRojo

Just created my first FOB. I don't have PS+ right now (will resub by the end of the month) and I've been reading people can invade and take your staff and resources. Will I still be invaded even though I don't have plus? If so, is there a way to prevent invasions? I really want to reach level 47 on R&D and Intel teams so I can develop the unlimited suppressor tranq gun.

Lunch_Box_

Neo Member
OK so I'm getting a bit bored of replaying the missions but just on the harder difficulty... I just want to get through what little story there seems to be in part 2 of the game.

Can I just play all the "Yellow" main and side missions and ignore the rest to finish the story? Or will I have to do all of the main missions and essential side missions?

OK so I'm getting a bit bored of replaying the missions but just on the harder difficulty... I just want to get through what little story there seems to be in part 2 of the game.

Can I just play all the "Yellow" main and side missions and ignore the rest to finish the story? Or will I have to do all of the main missions and essential side missions?

You can just do yellow marked missions and side ops yeah.

Just finished mission 46. So that is the final story mission correct? I think I have 47-50 left but those are just the duplicate missions right? Nothing else unlocks after finishing those? Anything extra after finishing all side ops and those 47-50? Or have I seen it all? I do plan on finishing those but just curious.

Also...

wut.

wut.

wut.

wut.

wut.

wut.

wut.

wut.

wut.

wut.

wut.

wut.

wut.

wut.

Off to spoiler thread I go.

I didn't play a single repeat.

Just do the yellow story missions then do a side op or two and the next one will unlock.

myco666

Just finished mission 46. So that is the final story mission correct? I think I have 47-50 left but those are just the duplicate missions right? Nothing else unlocks after finishing those? Anything extra after finishing all side ops and those 47-50? Or have I seen it all? I do plan on finishing those but just curious.

Also...

wut.

wut.

wut.

wut.

wut.

wut.

wut.

wut.

wut.

wut.

wut.

wut.

wut.

wut.

Off to spoiler thread I go.

Thats it. Go watch Episode 51 on youtube or if you have the CE it is on the Blu-Ray. There is nothing more storywise in the game.

Skux

I just customised a silenced semi-automatic sniper rifle with an underbarrel grenade launcher. This is madness lol.

You can even put a silencer on a shotgun!

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Crossposting from the gameplay thread in the gaming section:
Some stories from last night (~150 hours in):

Used D-Walker's
Fulton Ballista
to make short work of an entire late game tank unit in Mfinda Oilfield, with me laughing the whole time from the cliffs above. But left over was the helicoptor, which even my antimaterial sniper rifle would struggle with as it was one of the red, missile-loaded armour plated ones.

I was about to call in a missile launcher but the high costs put me off as I was saving for a development item. Instead, I decided to stick it out with my current loadout to see how far I could get. I softened it up for a few seconds with an anti-air gun in the oilfield but the heli made short work of that plan. What followed was a ten minutes battle of cat and mouse as I snuck around the oilfield taking potshots then running back into hiding. The slightest burst of fire would end me (I was only wearing animal print pants for the lols) so every shot was a heartpounding feat of bravery. By the time it finally spun into the ground, I was exhausted and down to my last shot.

I basically made my own, ludicrously intense boss battle.

For the next tank unit mission I wanted the opposite experience, so I equipped the
Infinity Bandana
and a missile launcher, hopped on d-horse with dreams of going full rambo.

Unfortunately, the unit still made short work of me. All the ammo in the world doesn't protect you from being one-shotted by red tanks.

Again, determined to make use with what I had, I decided to see if I could take out the whole unit (sans helicoptor) only using C4.

Of course, my whole plan would go to shit if I was spotted, so I had to sneak up to every sniper, every tank and plant C4 in the route of the patrol without being seen. Finally, I got to a high spot and mashed triangle to a beautiful chain reaction of explosions across the map.

Galloped away on D-Horse and missiled the heli on the way out for one final, glorious explosion. Mission complete!

TL;DR: MGSV more than any other game in the series allows you to make your own fun and your own challenges. If you've forgotten how to actually play like you're a five year old in your toybox then it could be a very boring game for you. I'm always discovering new toys and I'm still excited every time I deploy.

Crossposting from the gameplay thread in the gaming section:

I bet this is exactly what Kojipro had in mind with the sandbox. Everyone has such a different experience and the game lets you make your own fun.

Just created my first FOB. I don't have PS+ right now (will resub by the end of the month) and I've been reading people can invade and take your staff and resources. Will I still be invaded even though I don't have plus? If so, is there a way to prevent invasions? I really want to reach level 47 on R&D and Intel teams so I can develop the unlimited suppressor tranq gun.

Staying offline works. 150+ hours in and I haven't been invaded yet. I think the key is that you have to invade first to get invaded.

j-wood

I have some questions on unlocking mission 46:

1. Is it necessary to complete the combat deployment missions as well? I have one that has a yellow dot (recapture the port or something like that). But I can't launch it because it says i'm missing a tank. Yet I have two tanks.

2. I've read you have to have an upgraded mother base. What all does that entail? Does each platform need to be level 35? Ugh.

I have some questions on unlocking mission 46:

1. Is it necessary to complete the combat deployment missions as well? I have one that has a yellow dot (recapture the port or something like that). But I can't launch it because it says i'm missing a tank. Yet I have two tanks.

2. I've read you have to have an upgraded mother base. What all does that entail? Does each platform need to be level 35? Ugh.

Only thing you need to do is complete all yellow side ops and keep returning to Motherbase frequently to get all the cutscenes if there's any left. Nothing else. If that doesn't work, do 3 regular side ops.

Did you do the mock FOB mission after you built it? If so the only way to prevent getting invaded is never to go in Online mode again. If you sync online mode, if you were invaded, it will sync up all of your losses/wins, so theoretically you can go offline for a month, and go online once and lose tons of resources/staff etc.

If you didn't do the mock fob mission yet, dont go online in the ACC, stay offline and you will never be invaded.

Was surprised to see there's a whole cutscene if you retrieve the prisoner at the first outpost instead of at the big complex in the Killer Bee mission.
The prisoner is mute too, so I wonder if he's supposed to have some strain of the parasite in him.

Renewed

Was surprised to see there's a whole cutscene if you retrieve the prisoner at the first outpost instead of at the big complex in the Killer Bee mission.
The prisoner is mute too, so I wonder if he's supposed to have some strain of the parasite in him.

Or maybe because he's mute he wasn't giving the parasites any conditions to COPULATE lol
I wonder how many cutscenes can be missed by not doing things a certain way, like with
The White Mamba in the main room you meet him if you don't approach him from the stairs or when the fight ends and you don't CQC him in the same room

HardRojo

Did you do the mock FOB mission after you built it? If so the only way to prevent getting invaded is never to go in Online mode again. If you sync online mode, if you were invaded, it will sync up all of your losses/wins, so theoretically you can go offline for a month, and go online once and lose tons of resources/staff etc.

If you didn't do the mock fob mission yet, dont go online in the ACC, stay offline and you will never be invaded.

Damn! Is that the one where you "invade" your own FOB for training? If so, I'm fucked because I already played through it... it's pretty clear that the intention of this mechanic is to get people to spend real money, insurance pretty much encourages that. Oh well, I'll try to get my tranq gun and be done with it. I don't really think I'll try to get the plat for this game, as much as I'm loving it.

Damn! Is that the one where you "invade" your own FOB for training? If so, I'm fucked because I already played through it... it's pretty clear that the intention of this mechanic is to get people to spend real money, insurance pretty much encourages that. Oh well, I'll try to get my tranq gun and be done with it. I don't really think I'll try to get the plat for this game, as much as I'm loving it.

don't worry too much about it. designate all your best recruits as 'direct contract' to avoid losing them. develop max security items and settings. and don't develop any other aspects of your FOB. you really can't lose many resources like fuel any from invasion if you never expand the base itself. if you leave it as a small command platform. you really won't lose that much. and in fact, your base won't be all that attractive to potential invaders. it's as bad as people are making it to be

Xun

My FOB hasn't been invaded at all yet.

I assume because I've not done too much with it along with not invading others?

Xiraiya

If you are on PC and wish to keep MGSV offline, Rollback to the beta 1.07 patch.

How come some SO are replayable for me?
And I never got the rain scene -_-
It happened for me immediately after 31, bond maxed with Quiet, you might need to have already done the "stinky" cutscene with her.
She also has to be your current buddy obviously.

BadWolf

It happened for me immediately after 31, bond maxed with Quiet, you might need to have already done the "stinky" cutscene with her.
She also has to be your current buddy obviously.

It must be the bond level, I got the scene during both of my playthroughs without getting the stinky cutscene.

yeah, in a way SIDE OPs are really more random world events or just 'world spawns' that Missions of any sort... they just set up little encounters and set pieces to make better use of various world locales. I imagine them sort of as if they weren't marked on the iDroid map, in terms of actual purpose and design, they're just (sort of) random world event encounter spawns.

My FOB hasn't been invaded at all yet.

I assume because I've not done too much with it along with not invading others?

yeah, exactly. all an invader can get from your base is a few high level soldiers if you aren't already protecting them, maybe some mortars and turrets. that's really about it. the only person who would invade your base is someone who doesn't really do much invading and just wants a lay-up.

3 minutes out in the field and you can get back anything you've lost in that scenario. the issues with the FOB being forced on the player are largely overblown. you can mostly avoid it, even if you don't want to stay offline

I swear I'm fultoning A++ people but I can never find them in either the brig or my staff list. I'm at mission 23, but I haven't started it yet. Has this happened to anybody else or am I reading the binoculars wrong?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Boaster is such a worthlessly frustrating skill. Sometimes they're boasting but still actually have high stats. I fultoned someone who was Boasting and after they were on my base they were still an S rank. The skill is basically "Make analyzer worthless." which is just straight up unfun.

BadWolf

Boaster is such a worthlessly frustrating skill. Sometimes they're boasting but still actually have high stats. I fultoned someone who was Boasting and after they were on my base they were still an S rank. The skill is basically "Make analyzer worthless." which is just straight up unfun.

They are more for multiplayer purposes since they can be used to dupe invaders.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Also boaster is extra annoying because at the beginning on PC it was broken and just showed their normal stats. So eventually they patched and fixed it and it stopped working like it had been for the first 100~ hours.

Bah. I should look into modding Boaster out.

rififi

For boasters, just take their highest skill and go one level down - that will be their actual skill level (the rest of their skills other than their highest may be more than one level difference, idk): ie, if the analyzer says their highest skill is S in R&D, then they will be A++ in R&D; S+, then they will be S, etc.

Kindekuma

Banned
Also boaster is extra annoying because at the beginning on PC it was broken and just showed their normal stats. So eventually they patched and fixed it and it stopped working like it had been for the first 100~ hours.

Bah. I should look into modding Boaster out.

I should mod Troublemakers out.

3 STAFF REMOVED FROM SICK BAY
Fighting broken out among staff
4 STAFF SENT TO SICK BAY
_______ UNIT HAS LEVELED DOWN

Screw Lingua Franca.
Literally spent 2 hours waiting for the Viscount interrogation but it just won't start, he falls on the doorstep. Turns out I only had to get 50 meters away from them for the interrogation to trigger, what a god damn odd trigger.

Renewed

Screw Lingua Franca.
Literally spent 2 hours waiting for the Viscount interrogation but it just won't start, he falls on the doorstep. Turns out I only had to get 50 meters away from them for the interrogation to trigger, what a god damn odd trigger.

I feel like it's because if you're near a prisoner they drop to the ground for you to interact with. I was never close enough to any interrogations to have that happen. Although my frustration with that mission came from finding out there was an immediate conversation. Thankfully done with all this nonsense. Hate the missions where conversations didn't count and make me restart.

Top Bottom