• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Window

You can beat them all with the gatling gun completely un-upgraded. D-Walker is literally a skull deterrent.

This word has been overused to a laughable degree across Peace Walker and now Phantom Pain.

this shit will seriously go down as one of my most hated changes of pace in a game i've ever played. what a god damn nose dive, even if it ends up being just this mission

16 had alternatives. I figured those were intentional ie the game giving you the chance to play like you wanted

this crap is just inexcusable. it's not hard; it's a dread

There's also apparently an AA gun nearby that you can use. I found the mission frustrating as well but really it was not that much different to me than some past MGS bosses (Rex in MGS1 in particular.....with the terrible check pointing) where the game turns into a full on action game. It stands out here more because of the way it had been flexible up until then.

TheLight

Honestly playing every mission the same way isn't gonna help. Didn't try dealing with the skulls, restarted and dropped in with a tank and got ready for em. You can CQC em too

Gvitor

Post-mission 32:

Ok, so Quiet
just jumped into the toxic gas and is now in sick bay. When do I get her back?

Mupod

Big boss will never chokehold you in his iron grip
You won't have a splashy water fight with Big Boss in the rain
You will never fight Big Boss naked in the shower

why even live?

this shit will seriously go down as one of my most hated changes of pace in a game i've ever played. what a god damn nose dive, even if it ends up being just this mission

16 had alternatives. I figured those were intentional ie the game giving you the chance to play like you wanted

this crap is just inexcusable. it's not hard; it's a dread. it's the ultimate "I give up on this crap" moments that just get you pissed at what went wrong during development

1. Make an LMG
2. Facepalm at what an idiot you were for not trying that sooner, just like I did

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

absolute garbage

not only that but im forced to research strong rocket launchers for the first time

and guess what? gotta wait 18 minutes for no reason

Every metal gear game includes fights which require serious fire-power to win. So really, you only have yourself to blame, especially as the game suggests you develop and use missiles as early as mission 8.

Salsa

That mission isn't that hard, have quiet fight the
zombies
and you rocket launcher the
skulls

I don't have shit quiet

anyway, the D walker did it

I remember frustrating stuff in previous MGS' like Rex, sure, but this game fucking flaunts it's open worldness and it's versatility and suddenly it just punishes you in the DICK if you didnt at any time go rambo on shit. I had to wait minutes for everything to upgrade. I had to wear shit bulky armor. I had to use a partner I dislike and never used.

gar-bage

Every metal gear game includes fights which require serious fire-power to win. So really, you only have yourself to blame, especially as the game suggests you develop and use missiles as early as mission 8.

"every game has this shit part which is always bad so it's YOUR FAULT based kojimangg"

mmmkay

this is a very different game. lets make it like previous games just in the worst aspect

I didnt upgrade the D walker at all cause that's not how I was playing this game and it is not how this game is fun

garbage design

GARBAGE

im mad. not reaction mad but mad at a game taking such a big dump on itself. "hey this is great and fun, lets just ruin it"
Trying to avoid any and all spoilers which is why I don't read or post much in these MGS threads, but am I getting the right impression that an upgraded D-Walker is necessary and/or forced?

I was kinda hoping I could ignore it. I'm a perfect stealth crawling kinda snake - like to spend most of the time reconning and planning, and then quickly executing upon those plans. A walker mech thing is definitely out of my comfort zone.

this crap is just inexcusable. it's not hard; it's a dread. it's the ultimate "I give up on this crap" moments that just get you pissed at what went wrong during development

Mission 28??
I just got in my D-Walker and ran into the building, popping in and out to fight the skulls, dodging the rock blasts. Didn't think it was a hard mission. also dodge the mist lol

Jarmel

Banned
Trying to avoid any and all spoilers which is why I don't read or post much in these MGS threads, but am I getting the right impression that an upgraded D-Walker is necessary and/or forced?

I was kinda hoping I could ignore it. I'm a perfect stealth crawling kinda snake - like to spend most of the time reconning and planning, and then quickly executing upon those plans. A walker mech thing is definitely out of my comfort zone.

Upgrade your combat stuff. You'll need it.

D-Walker is just another in a long list of options. SalsaShark is overstating the issue. It's a curveball that sucks, but there's more than one way to deal with it.
I don't have shit quiet

anyway, the D walker did it

I remember frustrating stuff in previous MGS' like Rex, sure, but this game fucking flaunts it's open worldness and it's versatility and suddenly it just punishes you in the DICK if you didnt at any time go rambo on shit. I had to wait minutes for everything to upgrade. I had to wear shit bulky armor. I had to use a partner I dislike and never used.

gar-bage

I Fox-ranked Mission 29. No detections.

:)

Salsa

Mission 28??
I just got in my D-Walker and ran into the building, popping in and out to fight the skulls, dodging the rock blasts. Didn't think it was a hard mission. also dodge the mist lol

mission 28 MIGHT BE THE BEST IN THE GAME

mission 29 is by far the worst so far

do you rike it

ffs

Window

Do you ever gain the ability to replay old missions at their original difficulty anytime you want? If so, do any extractions you conduct carry over going forwards?

Senoculum

I got this on Friday to enjoy over the long weekend, and I ended up putting in 20 hours in that time, glad my wife was cool with me hogging the TV like that. I'm on mission 15 now and am having so much fun. The gameplay and combat options are just so incredible and varied. This game has me like no other so far this year. Kojima went out amazingly.

I'm on mission 17; and on a similar boat! My girlfriend let me play for 18 hours on Monday alone - she's such a good sport.

And yeah, man; a friend of mine who's much further ahead than me isn't enthused about certain things, but I honestly think this is the first game in ages to be top of mind for me. I feel like a teen again, investing deeply into the mechanics and the gameplay because they're so, so good!

Do you ever gain the ability to replay old missions at their original difficulty anytime you want? If so, do any extractions you conduct carry over going forwards?

You can replay every mission you've completed at any time. It's only side-ops that can be restricted.

Far as I'm aware, whatever you take out a second time is as real as the first. I'm not sure how that works for some recruits, though.

I thought 29 was better than 28. well, at least the first part of 28, but I was sitting in a tank. If you're not researching explosive weapons are you planning on tranqing the sahelanthropus to death?
I used a mix of killer bee, k pistol and a grenade launcher to do 29.

Insertia

On mission 6 where else can the Honey Bee be found? It's not in the place where the strategy guide says it is. Should I restart the mission?

A-V-B

I thought 29 was better than 28. well, at least the first part of 28, but I was sitting in a tank. If you're not researching explosive weapons are you planning on tranqing the sahelanthropus to death?

Mission 3
is
literally chocked to the brim with tanks and armed trucks.

Just beat Mission 43 i think it was...

I actually thought this was a great and impactful mission. Too bad the entire chapter 2 feels like poorly thrown together side dlc missions. There is no flow at all to this part of the game. The whole story and the characters seem disjointed, as if these missions are all their own separate side events not related to the main story.

Its constant "oh hey boss! come back to base we totally forgot to show you this cutscene / mission! when you're done you can do whatever and we'll let you know if we remember any other part of the game.

brau

On mission 6 where else can the Honey Bee be found? It's not in the place where the strategy guide says it is. Should I restart the mission?

It should
be behind the crate. Did you use your NVG to look at the path? NVG also highlight items. Look on the right side of hte crate too.

There is also an intel file in the caves that tells you were exactly the honey bee is.

Gvitor

Immediately. Just hop into a mission and she'll be there.

You mean as a buddy option? Because it's blocked out here. Iwent back to MB and the cutscene was Code Talker related, not Quiet. I also went in a side ops and she didn't pop up. The only main missions I have right now are the subsistence and extreme rehashes that I have no desire of doing.

I don't have shit quiet

gar-bage

I wholeheartedly agree. That mission was complete bullshit and it gives you no options whatsoever
but to kill them. I ended up doing it with rocket launcher + shotgun, supply drops galore and many retries. It didn't feel like Metal Gear.

Khronico

Not really.

I beat 29 easily with just the first rocket launcher.

I have a few side ops that are not greying out after completion and still have a flashing dot as if they are new missions. Side Op 28 and the Target Practice Side Op 152 and 153.

Any ideas?

Spazznid

Holy shit.

Not a spoiler.

Sneaking around in mission 30, and hear something shuffling in the grass so I stop. As I move my camera, I notice that that sound is the sound of my camera going through the grass.

WTF Kojima.

daveo42

Banned
So, gone all day at work and no intruders. Whew. I wonder if not doing the mock infiltration mission keep you from being intruded upon. My guess is no and will most likely get attacked at some point, unless attacking your own base gives you PF Rank. Oddly enough as well, my espionage rank went up.

A-V-B

Holy shit.

Not a spoiler.

Sneaking around in mission 30, and hear something shuffling in the grass so I stop. As I move my camera, I notice that that sound is the sound of my camera going through the grass.

WTF Kojima.

Another fun detail: When you run by a tree, and the tree is really close to the camera, it actually whooshes by :)

Top Bottom