• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

Mupod

Trying to avoid any and all spoilers which is why I don't read or post much in these MGS threads, but am I getting the right impression that an upgraded D-Walker is necessary and/or forced?

I was kinda hoping I could ignore it. I'm a perfect stealth crawling kinda snake - like to spend most of the time reconning and planning, and then quickly executing upon those plans. A walker mech thing is definitely out of my comfort zone.

honestly d-walker looks like it's more for screwing around than anything else. I really want to upgrade the shit out of it and have awesome front mission mecha duels but man I have way better things to buy first.

But obviously you do need some real weapons to fight bosses. If you think this is bad don't ever play Peace Walker.

Window

So that mission is particularly bad, but you can stealth through it without going guns blazing? That's fine by me provided the stealth option actually works.

Not even far enough into the game to know it has chapters.

Not quite. I won't say anymore in case you're worried about spoilers.

Mission
:

What vague advice can you give me? Will I need
rockets
?
Stealth
weapons? Do I even
get to choose?

Senoculum

My only real beef with the game is that the voice actors of Miller and Ocelot sound very, very similar via codec. They both are channeling the same "battle hardy gruffness" and when filtered, it removes any distinction among their voices. When the two argue, I find it incredibly difficult to tell who's speaking. In fact, I thought Ocelot was the one who debriefed you this whole time.

Is anyone else feeling this? I irks me, lol - I just wish one of the two characters was more distinct!

Not quite. I won't say anymore in case you're worried about spoilers.
That's fine. I appreciate your hesitation and can definitely leave it at that :)

The game does throw in some surprises, but I've enjoyed most of the them as I do take the time to prepare contingencies. BUT, the stuff that makes me rage is when the game arbitrarily contracts the rules for the sake of mission difficulty. That's only happened once or twice already, but it can be infuriating, and doubly so for a game that's otherwise so very open.

But obviously you do need some real weapons to fight bosses.
I'm fine with this too.

My only real beef with the game is that the voice actors of Miller and Ocelot sound very, very similar via codec. They both are channeling the same "battle hardy gruffness" and when filtered, it removes any distinction among their voices. When the two argue, I find it incredibly difficult to tell who's speaking. In fact, I thought Ocelot was the one who debriefed you this whole time.

Is anyone else feeling this? I irks me, lol - I just wish one of the two characters was more distinct!

Same here. To me its all Kaz. Ocelot is too busy playing with my dog and torturing people to talk to me :(

Spazznid

Doing mission 30 now.

Going stealth.

Gonna strip this place clean and steal everything from Skullface like he did to MSF. That's how Kaz would want it.

So that mission is particularly bad, but you can stealth through it without going guns blazing? That's fine by me provided the stealth option actually works.

You'll understand once you play it, don't worry.

A more in-depth, spoilery explanation for those that want it:
Mission 29
features a lot of parasite soldiers. Far as I can tell, they are blind and struggle mightily to pinpoint your position with any accuracy at all. Their puppets are the same. Both rely entirely on noise to have some idea of where you are, but can never truly detection you because they cannot see anything with certainty. It's why their aim with guns is so garbage, and why they spend so much time apparently doing nothing--they honestly cannot find you unless you're making lots of noise. I'd reckon this is why it's always an ambush against 4 of them, to guarantee that you're pressured and running from something.

Thus, after spending all of my ammo trying to kill them while fleeing for days I still Fox-Ranked the mission with zero detections. I am the best stealth player of them all.

They don't have any of the usual MGS boss ingenuity. They're just really fast bullet sponges. That's never fun.
Awww dangit. I rather liked the Skulls. They have a bit of variety from fight to fight and they're fun to mow down with D-Walker's Gatling gun. Reminded me of a better version of the Frogs.

Also, question: will replying Main Missions with a Buddy still increase their Bond? I know that Main missions give you a bigger boost than Side Ops.

I finished mission 18 and wow what a great mission. But I have a question for those who have finished the game. Is there a point where the story picks up? I feel like I'm starving and Kojima is throwing breadcrumbs at me while laughing maniacally

Revven

The issue is that Kaz could be talking in his normal voice for most of the tapes and all of it would be solved. But nope, whoever was the voice director told Robin Atkins Downes to play Kaz with his gruff whisper he used for certain scenes/tapes in Peace Walker. It fits in some parts of TPP but not everything, especially tapes where it's completely unnecessary for gruff whispering Kaz.

Tecl0n

I have to admit that in mission 43:
The soldiers saluting before you kill them while humming the PW theme was quite good.

By the way I haven't seen the scene of Snake and Skullface in the truck because... the walking section doesn't clear out the vehicle I was using and it was in my way... game got stuck thanks to that stupid idea to force you down a scripted path.

UrbanRats

Chapter 2 question (spoiler, obv):
After Quiest jumps into that Chlorine pit and gets all burned up, she isn't in her cell anymore, is there a cutscene i can trigger? Is she anywhere in the medical platform?

Locking weapon customization behind a soldier was a stupid idea, my Fulton failed on the first mission now im almost finished with all the side ops and #2 and #3 haven't poped up yet.

jett

D-Member
Chapter 2 question (spoiler, obv):
After Quiest jumps into that Chlorine pit and gets all burned up, she isn't in her cell anymore, is there a cutscene i can trigger? Is she anywhere in the medical platform?

There's no cut-scene.

When it comes to Quiet, I swear there are several cut-scenes missing in the game. Like when
when she wants to come with Big Bawse on a mission, but everyone agrees she shouldn't. The game ignores this plot point and makes her your buddy anyway LOL.

The Dispatch mission percentages are fucking bullshit. Any operation that isn't at the max 95% success rate is almost a guaranteed fail for some reason.

Jin

Did a mission where I had to destroy a "tank unit". Tank unit happens to be a tank, a helicopter, one sniper, and some regular guys. Manage to take out the tank with airstrike and helicopter with D-Walker. Ran away on my walker nearly dying from everyone shooting at me with aimbot. Manage to sneak back and see that two solider were analyzed as yellow rank. Put them both to sleep . It was raining so my fulton was at 90%. Both failed. I love and hate this game.

Yes. I'm still not sure who's doing most of the talking on radio to me. Ocelot I think? I know Miller is the one who bitches a lot.

Prototype

Any guides or tips on how to get the most out of Quiet?

Do I have to use the binoculars to tell her to attack? Didn't seem possible through the scope of my rifle.

I just got her and she feels kind of like underwhelming or I'm just not like using her to her full potential and so I'm thinking there must be something I'm missing

Any tips on her functions would be great.

Hypron

I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels like this. They can sound really similar.

Phionoxx

Post Mission 3
questions about Quiet: I've read that by continuing the story and doing more side ops,
at some point Quiet leaves on her own and you can't get her back until you do Mission 45 and Side Op 150? But even then she is gone for good.
Is there any way to prevent this sequence of events from happening? Would like to postpone that from occurring.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels like this. They can sound really similar.

Everyone feels like this. They're nearly indistinguishable. You'll see them both in a cinematic early on and go, "I can figure this out," and then ten hours later they'll be in another cutscene and you'll realise the dire situation you're in.

Heck, after a while Big Boss' sporadic lines blend in with Ocelot and Miller's. I know Kiefer's voice well and this still happens to me--I've gotta carefully analyse each line to decipher the speaker.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Post Mission 3
questions about Quiet: I've read that by continuing the story and doing more side ops,
at some point Quiet leaves on her own and you can't get her back until you do Mission 45 and Side Op 150? But even then she is gone for good.
Is there any way to prevent this sequence of events from happening? Would like to postpone that from occurring.

Put a Butterfly on the Front your Emblem. Look at Customize in your idroid when you're in your ACC.

Top Bottom