• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| [EXTREME]

BadWolf

Don't know if already mentioned but this is what INGSOC's banner looks like in the book 1984...

kWYON6V.png

(INGSOC seems to be the book's equivalent of Cipher/Patriots)

Dat V.

neoism

He just seems to be talking about the loss of MGS as a series (since this is his last MGS) and what that might mean to a fan. He's definitely not talking about the actual ending.

Here's what he said when talking about the 'blank space':

The translation is kinda iffy tbh.

i was talking more about this....

SPOILERS I THINK

dun read if you havent beat all the game..

In short, this was always the plan to have the player play as a body double of Big Boss. I wonder why Kojima and Konami advertised the game as having a ultimate story?

BadWolf

i was talking more about this....

SPOILERS I THINK

dun read if you havent beat all the game..

In short, this was always the plan to have the player play as a body double of Big Boss. I wonder why Kojima and Konami advertised the game as having a ultimate story?

Because it does have an ultimate story and the meta aspect is just a single component of it.

Haunted

My questions:

Who do you play as? If it's not Bgi Boss, who it is and where is the real Big BOss

What's the virus?

WHat is Cipher?

What did Skull face want?
The medic from ground zeroes hypnotised to think he is big boss. Big Boss is off doing Big Boss things while the medic takes the heat off him. This is clearly spelled out in the ending cutscene, you should know this.

It's parasites trained to kill people that speak a specific language. This is clearly spelled out by Code Talker, but I don't blame you for nodding off during his speeches.

Also known as the patriots in previous games, the big bad organisation controlling the world.

Kill everyone speaking English as a means to create anarchy and chaos in the world. Explained by Skullface in that talking heads jeep ride cutscene, I don't blame you for not listening to that shit.

Hope that helps! If you want more in-depth discussion on how disappointing most of the story beats were, head on over to the spoiler thread. :p

NeoGiff

Just the dispatch missions, blueprints/collectables, S-rank, and all mission objective trophies to go until I have the platinum.

Is there an optimal way to grind through the S-ranks and objectives? Should I focus on one first and then go back and do the other?

myco666

Just the dispatch missions, blueprints/collectables, S-rank, and all mission objective trophies to go until I have the platinum.

Is there an optimal way to grind through the S-ranks and objectives? Should I focus on one first and then go back and do the other?

Do S-Ranks and tasks separately. You will have much better time this way and there are some missions where you definetily shouldn't try to do all tasks in one go. Most missions can be S-Ranked just by doing running straight to the main objective.

KOMANI

KOMANI

Objectives and blue print go together. Same with dispatches and blueprints.
What I did was I did 3 runs on a mission. The last two were for objectives. S ranks are easy to achieve.

RangerBAD

myco666

It is manageable for sure but there are some missions where trying to get all tasks in one run is really infuriating like Backup, Back Down since it doesn't have checkpoints. I prefer not having to worry about tasks and go for the rank and vice versa especially since if you have S-Rank already you can just use anything like Infinity Bandana, Stealth camo etc. making tasks even easier.

RangerBAD

It is manageable for sure but there are some missions where trying to get all tasks in one run is really infuriating like Backup, Back Down since it doesn't have checkpoints. I prefer not having to worry about tasks and go for the rank and vice versa especially since if you have S-Rank already you can just use anything like Infinity Bandana, Stealth camo etc. making tasks even easier.

In the case of not having S rank and all tasks though.

RangerBAD

I love how infiltrating this AI FOB gives you an S rank every time

Thanks game, gimmy more

Need to give out S+ every time.

Dispatch missions are the worst. I need three more for a platinum and only 61% chance of success on the current one.

Gui_PT

Need to give out S+ every time.

Dispatch missions are the worst. I need three more for a platinum and only 61% chance of success on the current one.

S+ would be sweet but 5 A++ and an S rank for my security team is also pretty nice

For those dispatch missions I just kept throwing soldiers at them 'til they succeeded... you're not going to get much better than 70% chance so don't waste your time waiting for better soldiers

S+ would be sweet but 5 A++ and an S rank for my security team is also pretty nice

For those dispatch missions I just kept throwing soldiers at them 'til they succeeded... you're not going to get much better than 70% chance so don't waste your time waiting for better soldiers

i actually just rolled the dice with A+ soldiers and took my chances with 50% success, and I was able to get all of them done with only a few failures. i'd rather lose a handful of A+ soldiers than risk S rank soldiers just for a 10-20% increase in chances.

NeoGiff

Do S-Ranks and tasks separately. You will have much better time this way and there are some missions where you definetily shouldn't try to do all tasks in one go. Most missions can be S-Ranked just by doing running straight to the main objective.

Objectives and blue print go together. Same with dispatches and blueprints.
What I did was I did 3 runs on a mission. The last two were for objectives. S ranks are easy to achieve.

Thanks, guys. I still have 20 missions to S rank. This will be a long slog.

I love how infiltrating this AI FOB gives you an S rank every time

Thanks game, gimmy more

Try infiltrating a players fully levels command FOB (nuke equipped). I could barely make it past platform 2.

I've seen people do it on youtube but those videos are a snapshot of the 1 time out of 20 where they got it right. I'm trying for consistency, full stealth, magazine, noctocyamin, and the watergun for holdups.

Gui_PT

i actually just rolled the dice with A+ soldiers and took my chances with 50% success, and I was able to get all of them done with only a few failures. i'd rather lose a handful of A+ soldiers than risk S rank soldiers just for a 10-20% increase in chances.

Hey man, as long as it works. Did you get all of them?

Try infiltrating a players fully levels command FOB (nuke equipped). I could barely make it past platform 2.

I've seen people do it on youtube but those videos are a snapshot of the 1 time out of 20 where they got it right. I'm trying for consistency, full stealth, magazine, noctocyamin, and the watergun for holdups.

I've been watching some guy streaming, he always invades high level players with at least 3 platforms of whatever he's invading. He's full demon mode because he kills every soldier but he rarely fails an invasion.
Next time he streams I'll drop a link.

JGLS

I've been watching some guy streaming, he always invades high level players with at least 3 platforms of whatever he's invading. He's full demon mode because he kills every soldier but he rarely fails an invasion.
Next time he streams I'll drop a link.

It's actually easier than it looks. I've been doing high-level nuke invasions for a while now. You just have to memorize the different FOB deck layouts (and which direction their facing on the map since it alters the invasion point), only the Command Platform in my case, and be extremely cautious and aware of your surroundings. I usually do non lethal runs, in case the defender shows up unexpectedly or I fuck up, since if you don't steal or fulton/kill any guards they won't get a chance to retaliate. Also, put some thought on your loadout and the best way to use your items/support weapons. Nocticyanin and decoys are a must. Anyway, everybody should at least try some high-level invasions. They're really exhilarating and some of the best tension and stealth this game has to offer.

EDIT: Also, it seems like the new Famitsu MGS:V Guide that released today, has important information regarding how to unlock the nuclear ending.

Have you done each platform yet? The final one gets you an S++

Gui_PT

It's actually easier than it looks. I've been doing high-level nuke invasions for a while now. You just have to memorize the different FOB deck layouts (and which direction their facing on the map since it alters the invasion point), only the Command Platform in my case, and be extremely cautious and aware of your surroundings. I usually do non lethal runs, in case the defender shows up unexpectedly or I fuck up, since if you don't steal or fulton/kill any guards they won't get a chance to retaliate. Also, put some thought on your loadout and the best way to use your items/support weapons. Nocticyanin and decoys are a must. Anyway, everybody should at least try some high-level invasions. They're really exhilarating and some of the best tension and stealth this game has to offer.

Yeah I've done a few non-lethally. I always at least get to the last platform.
I have a lethal main weapon to take out drones or cameras with a grenade underbarrel for emergencies.
Non-lethal sniper with a sleep underbarrel for emergencies too
Rocket arm to put know guys out from a distance
WU pistol with infinite suppressor
Decoy which is great to stun guards too, just make it pop as soon as the guard steps on it
All grenade types and C4
Nocticyanin as you said is a must

Have you done each platform yet? The final one gets you an S++

I have. But after that you get at least 1 S rank every time you reach the core which is nice to get security staff

JGLS

is it possible to sell resources that are store on the FOB?

I believe they mentioned that it will be possible on the next patch.

I have a lethal main weapon to take out drones or cameras with a grenade underbarrel for emergencies.
Decoy which is great to stun guards too, just make it pop as soon as the guard steps on it
All grenade types and C4

I've been thinking of changing my main weapon for a while now. What have you been using? Is the suppressor tier 3? My main side arm (silenced sub-machine gun), for UAV's and containers/nuke alarms, is lethal and I use a Hail grenade launcher, only for extremely specific cases, usually when I'm detected. My silenced tranq sniper rifle normally gets the job done. And spamming sleep grenades, decoys, and rocket punch usually get me through the last platform undetected.

Who knows. But yes I was serious.
The resources being stored online just appeared one day as an update. Used to only be unprocessed stuff that was online.

Something to do with wanting to make people play it online in the most obnoxious way possible

I wish we could buy resources too or even had a manufacturing platform if just being able to build vehicles or well walker gears... I really need something to spend money on. >_<

At least with another 30 or so MB Coins I'll be able to buy the second FOB and dump a ton of resources and money into that. *Shrug*

Gui_PT

I've been thinking of changing my main weapon for a while now. What have you been using? Is the suppressor tier 3? My main side arm (silenced sub-machine gun), for UAV's and containers/nuke alarms, is lethal and I use a Hail grenade launcher, only for extremely specific cases, usually when I'm detected. My silenced tranq sniper rifle normally gets the job done. And spamming sleep grenades, decoys, and rocket punch usually get me through the last platform undetected.

Main weapon is a level 5 lethal AM MRS-4. I tried adding some piercing damage to this but your end up with so many LESS bullets that it's just not worth it
Sniper is a level 7 non-lethal AM MRS-73 NL

Level 5 WU Pistol with infinite suppressor and a rocket arm

Finally 100%'ed and platinumed the game on Saturday. Took me 191h 49m.

My last trophy was "do FOB mission" and I noticed when I finally went back online, that dumb patch they instituted put like 75-85% of my resources online. So glad I held off on this shit until the very end.

Either way, amazing game, had tons of fun with it.

Just in time for Black Ops 3/Fallout/Battlefront. :)

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Finally 100%'ed and platinumed the game on Saturday. Took me 191h 49m.

My last trophy was "do FOB mission" and I noticed when I finally went back online, that dumb patch they instituted put like 75-85% of my resources online. So glad I held off on this shit until the very end.

Either way, amazing game, had tons of fun with it.

Just in time for Black Ops 3/Fallout/Battlefront. :)
Congrats dude!

Gui_PT

I just defended someone else's base against the #1 player on the 360

The guy is a laggy mess, no wonder he has so many espionage points. I couldn't even hit him with a shotgun close range! He can invade all he wants because defenders will never be able to touch him

The only reason I beat him was because I forced him to drop from the 3 floor of a platform and died

neoism

OK what the hell would somebody please tell me how to unlock customization for D dog he is at Max bond, but the only one that I can customize is D walker and I'm never even used it at all and I have 100 hours in this game so what the hell.... I want my fox

J.EM1

OK what the hell would somebody please tell me how to unlock customization for D dog he is at Max bond, but the only one that I can customize is D walker and I'm never even used it at all and I have 100 hours in this game so what the hell.... I want my fox
In the ACC. iDroid: Customize -> Buddy Equipment -> D-Dog.

Also you have to develop D-Dog's equipment. You can select his equipment in the Sortie Prep.

neoism

lol nm it unlocked the next mission...was really surprised 46-50 unlocked at the same time...doing 46 last though...

All grenade types and C4

I have. But after that you get at least 1 S rank every time you reach the core which is nice to get security staff
BRUH, how you get ZZZ underbarrel? bruhhhh

Also, anyone got a rifle that can be converted to ZZZ with a 20+ round clip? I know that one AMR-L 73 NL but its 4k to deploy it.. trying to keep my deployment costs below 5k, or should i just say F### it and just go HAM.

Main weapon is a level 5 lethal AM MRS-4. I tried adding some piercing damage to this but your end up with so many LESS bullets that it's just not worth it
Sniper is a level 7 non-lethal AM MRS-73 NL

Level 5 WU Pistol with infinite suppressor and a rocket arm

that MRS NL is my homey

EDIT: Also, it seems like the new Famitsu MGS:V Guide that released today, has important information regarding how to unlock the nuclear ending.

wut

dubc35

(possibly) stupid question: I'm still ps3 gen and barely have any time for gaming. I'm thinking of maybe picking up MGSV:GZ due to length (or lack of) and price. No solid plans to get MGSV so I figure the cheap way out is to get the prologue and if/when I beat it I can get the full game (which would hopefully be cheaper then).

Reasonable idea? Terrible idea?

I have no plans to buy a ps4/xb1 btw, and don't have a PC to run any games.

BadWolf

15 minutes in, he is doing MGS Otacon 99% of the time, and I'm liking it but at the same time I'm expecting the green codec screen to show up at some point.

"We don't really know what moves Huey" that was great.

Glad to hear that it's good, can't wait to get home and check it out.

(possibly) stupid question: I'm still ps3 gen and barely have any time for gaming. I'm thinking of maybe picking up MGSV:GZ due to length (or lack of) and price. No solid plans to get MGSV so I figure the cheap way out is to get the prologue and if/when I beat it I can get the full game (which would hopefully be cheaper then).

Reasonable idea? Terrible idea?

Great idea, GZ is fantastic.

You can also sink a lot of hours into unlocking/finding stuff and messing around with the excellent gameplay if you like.

dubc35

Great idea, GZ is fantastic.

You can sink a lot of hours into unlocking/finding stuff and messing around with the excellent gameplay if you like.

Thanks! I really haven't been following MGSV so I wasn't sure if GZ would be a good start. I've also read you can "beat" the game pretty quickly but there is a lot more to play around with. Thanks again.

Top Bottom