• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| [EXTREME]

BadWolf

Watching this now. Interesting insight into the character, but man, is it really that hard for the hosts to look into the camera instead of the screen? It's a huge pet peeve of mine.

Yeah, that always irritates me as well.

the problem is that so many of the chapter 2 character threads are dependent on skull face being defeated.

Which is why I'm fine with it, it's supposed to be a post game scenario.

Haunted

I'm getting invaded 6-7 times per day while offline. Seriously, what the fuck is this shit? What happened to the blockade that's meant to go up? Why can I not retaliate against certain failed invaders who stole some security guards?

Nl9b.png
pls buy our insurance

thx

-Konami

Yeah I had to say goodbye to the fob world. Haven't gone near the game for a few weeks and don't want to imagine the damage that has been done. Fob really shouldn't be available for attack if they're offline.

BadWolf

I don't think it'd take much to move
episode 43 --> huey exile
to chapter 1
between metallic archea and skullface missions

It wouldn't make sense for them to just let him go like that if Skull Face was still around tbh.

The post-game is about what happens after the 'main' threat is taken care off, and to that effect it works really well. Pain, betrayal, death, loss etc. doesn't just magically go away.

And putting the
Huey exit
in chapter 2 has a significance of its own regarding his character and story.

It wouldn't make sense for them to just let him go like that if Skull Face was still around tbh.

The post-game is about what happens after the 'main' threat is taken care off, and to that effect it works really well. Pain, betrayal, death, loss etc. doesn't just magically go away.

And putting the
Huey exit

Yeah i realize that, i just think the pacing issues would be resolved by integrating them more intimately

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

And putting the
Huey exit

I like both but I prefer Chapter 2's story over Chapter 1's; however, I find it increasingly more difficult to justify why they weren't interwoven (references to
Skullface's "Legacy"
aside). I think that would've worked really well. I get the impression
Konami pulling the ripcord has a little to do with that, the repeat missions, and the seemingly random way some of the tapes are doled out.

Is it possible to obtain a nonlethal sniper rifle for Snake that isn't bolt-action? Aside from modding (I'm playing on a PS4). Seems like there's only the one.

BadWolf

Yeah i realize that, i just think the pacing issues would be resolved by integrating them more intimately

Fair enough.

I like both but I prefer Chapter 2's story over Chapter 1's; however, I find it increasingly more difficult to justify why they weren't interwoven (references to
Skullface's "Legacy"
aside). I think that would've worked really well. I get the impression
Konami pulling the ripcord has a little to do with that, the repeat missions, and the seemingly random way some of the tapes are doled out.

The issue is that it wouldn't make much sense for the highlights from Chapter 2
the second outbreak, Huey's exit, Quite's exit, the Truth Tapes etc.
to appear in Chapter 1, before Skull Face is taken care of.

The repeat missions are just bonus challenges, fully optional. And the tapes being given out 'randomly' and easily is miles better than having to grind for them like in Peace Walker.

Only focused on the story missions during the second fresh playthrough (with a few side ops to progress Chapter 2) and it was smooth sailing. You have your Chapter 1 and then you have your Chapter 2
with 7(?) more story missions and a whole bunch of new tapes.

Chapter 1 finished, loved the gameplay but a lot of the missions seemed repetitive, sneak in, find guy, get guy outside, fulton out, run like hell :p

Also, Quiet is OP

And
huh, I can't believe I missed the reveal that you aren't actually big boss in the ending cutscene, guess I wasn't paying full attention

Gui_PT

Chapter 1 finished, loved the gameplay but a lot of the missions seemed repetitive, sneak in, find guy, get guy outside, fulton out, run like hell :p

Also, Quiet is OP

And
huh, I can't believe I missed the reveal that you aren't actually big boss in the ending cutscene, guess I wasn't paying full attention

You only get that at the end of chapter 2

Coreda

Is it possible to obtain a nonlethal sniper rifle for Snake that isn't bolt-action? Aside from modding (I'm playing on a PS4). Seems like there's only the one.

The AM MRS-71 includes a MRS-73 branch with a non-lethal semi-auto sniper rifle. Not sure if it's better than the M2000-NL as it's half the damage.

Also, Quiet is OP

D-Dog is arguably a better companion most of the time. Sense enemies behind walls and follows you around. Quiet is most useful as backup to issue orders to if things go south or there are too many enemies to reasonably handle but she's not always that reliable.

Also read that spoiler due to quoting... though I've also seen it on Youtube comments. I thought it would be a Chapter 1 spoiler only.

Just started. Been doing side ops and I'm on mission 10. Do the missions become more complex as time goes on or what? I'm not really experiencing anything too drastic in terms of all the crazy stuff that was shown off. I'm just assuming these are all to prime me for the meaty stuff down the line.

Buaust started. Been doing side ops and I'm on mission 10. Do the missions become more complex as time goes on or what? I'm not really experiencing anything too drastic in terms of all the crazy stuff that was shown off. I'm just assuming these are all to prime me for the meaty stuff down the line.

And does capturing outpost do anything? Just seems like they all just respawn.

Ashura_MX

Just started. Been doing side ops and I'm on mission 10. Do the missions become more complex as time goes on or what? I'm not really experiencing anything too drastic in terms of all the crazy stuff that was shown off. I'm just assuming these are all to prime me for the meaty stuff down the line.
Not really, the more complex ones are the listen to these guys before you kill that guy.
Or find some guy we dont have a location.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
The issue is that it wouldn't make much sense for the highlights from Chapter 2
the second outbreak, Huey's exit, Quite's exit, the Truth Tapes etc.
to appear in Chapter 1, before Skull Face is taken care of.

I'm not suggesting you put them in wholesale. I think most of the sub plots would fit in perfectly with some subtle tweaking. I'd go into more detail but I'm really tired :D Maybe another time.

The repeat missions are just bonus challenges, fully optional.

I know that, but I think it's very clear that they were put there to flesh out Chapter 2 because Konami pulled the cord.

And the tapes being given out 'randomly' and easily is miles better than having to grind for them like in Peace Walker.

It's not how they are given out but which ones and when. There are some very strange decisions regarding this from mid-game onwards. I'm guessing again that it was Konami forcing Kojima's hand. They're not given out with consideration for what's occurring in the story, at least in terms of plot minutiae. Long dead stuff is picked up in tapes a very long time after the fact.

Again, I'll go into more detail another time.

Only focused on the story missions during the second fresh playthrough (with a few side ops to progress Chapter 2) and it was smooth sailing. You have your Chapter 1 and then you have your Chapter 2
with 7(?) more story missions and a whole bunch of new tapes.

I've only been through the game once and I haven't touched the repeat missions yet. The only area I felt lost drive was after Chapter 1 had finished. Soon picked up after.

I don't have a problem with the game, I love it, I just can't think of a good reason why most of the story beats from Chapter 2 weren't embedded into Chapter 1. They would work near perfectly as subplots juxtapositioned against the overarching story.

Ashura_MX

It's not how they are given out but which ones and when. There are some very strange decisions regarding this from mid-game onwards. I'm guessing again that it was Konami forcing Kojima's hand. They're not given out with consideration for what's occurring in the story, at least in terms of plot minutiae. Long dead stuff is picked up in tapes a very long time after the fact.

Not a single time did I receive tapes "out of the blue", but its really hard to argue about the flow of the game because not everyone returns to MB after every mission or at all, and a few cutscenes just happen because... reasons (Rain cutscene).

What I'm saying is in my play through most tapes where delivered when needed, except a few in the Chapter 1 -> 2 transition (Man on fire for example)

BadWolf

I'm not suggesting you put them in wholesale. I think most of the sub plots would fit in perfectly with some subtle tweaking. I'd go into more detail but I'm really tired :D Maybe another time.

I know that, but I think it's very clear that they were put there to flesh out Chapter 2 because Konami pulled the cord.

Again, I'll go into more detail another time.

I've only been through the game once and I haven't touched the repeat missions yet. The only area I felt lost drive was after Chapter 1 had finished. Soon picked up after.

I don't have a problem with the game, I love it, I just can't think of a good reason why most of the story beats from Chapter 2 weren't embedded into Chapter 1. They would work near perfectly as subplots juxtapositioned against the overarching story.

Yeah, I can see what you mean. Combining them together would certainly have made things feel less confusing for some or more familiar in terms of other games in the series.

I'm fine eitherway though, the idea of having significant events happen after the villain is taken care off was a fresh angle to approach too and made this MGS feel less 'routine' while giving said events a different kind of impact.

Can't say I agree that this approach was adopted due to time constraints or meddling from Konami though, it seems intentional. Episode 51 feels like the only/main victim of lack of time, but even then they fortunately made a video so we know what happened there.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I'm fine eitherway though, the idea of having significant events happen after the villain is taken care off was a fresh angle to approach too and made this MGS feel less 'routine' while giving said events a different kind of impact.

Absolutely. Even with what I've said, I love how
even though Skullface is dead, he's still a massive pervasive presence. It's not just a nice twist on things either, their is a cool bit of political commentary too, especially with how the team starts turning in on itself.

totally agree. this goes with the point i was trying to make, that the perception that the story is bad is more about people not liking the manner in which it was presented moreso than the story actually being bad. that and they hated
the ending twist
. but this is more a discussion for the spoiler thread and the "people who love the story" thread

JackelZXA

I don't think it'd take much to move
episode 43 --> huey exile
to chapter 1
between metallic archea and skullface missions

huey kills skullface and then denies having killed anyone later.
it's a major character turn (As is
his involvement with moving sahelanthropus to the base
, which would have lead somewhere great if kingdom of flies hadn't been cut.)
Huey and Eli's arcs rely on sahelanthropus being on the base, and huey and quiet's arcs rely on skullface being dead.
The amount of work required to adjust this....it's safe to assume they spent part of a year removing content that wasn't going to be finished in the budget they were given when the falling out happened. This was going to be a bigger story and we just got a smaller cut of it. There's not that much that can really be done, honestly. You run into problems either way because we just don't have the initial vision as it was intended...

The AM MRS-71 includes a MRS-73 branch with a non-lethal semi-auto sniper rifle. Not sure if it's better than the M2000-NL as it's half the damage.

D-Dog is arguably a better companion most of the time. Sense enemies behind walls and follows you around. Quiet is most useful as backup to issue orders to if things go south or there are too many enemies to reasonably handle but she's not always that reliable.

Also read that spoiler due to quoting... though I've also seen it on Youtube comments. I thought it would be a Chapter 1 spoiler only.

Sorry, I saw it earlier in the thread and it looked like something from Ch 1 that I somehow missed =/

Gui_PT

As far as I know, capturing an outpost will just give you some Heroism points; I could be missing something, though.

If I'm not mistaken you also get emblems to customize your mother base. I at least got a few doing this. Not sure if it's tied to capturing the outpost or reaching a certain amount of heroism points.

Coreda

Holy shit.

Potential Chapter 2 spoiler images and notes (even though I haven't finished it yet):

So I zoom in while inside the ACC at night at notice Snake has no hair and looks a bit different. I take this screenshot and brighten it in Photoshop:

http://i.imgur.com/A4wzBsY.jpg

'Huh', I think. Looks like a black guy. Then it struck me, 'is this my black avatar I made?'

So I go to the avatar customization on the iDroid and put hair and white face paint and save...

http://i.imgur.com/f3DefuY.jpg

WUT. It was the reflection all along! If this is story related I ain't even mad after being spoiled anyway. Hiding it in plain sight. *Applauds*

Coreda

lol (old fucking news)

Edit: you spoil your text but not the pictures GG

Are you on mobile? The images are in spoiler tags. Will link instead then.

Would have been immediately obvious earlier had
I used facepaint or was white. The black skin blended with the night.

Hey guys, any opinions on the strategy guide from Piggyback? Thinking about ordering it before I start playing. I bought the game alongside my PS4 last month but haven't gotten around to booting it up yet.

Optics don't add anything to the cost, only weaponized underbarrel attachments from what the deployment cost tab indicates. After looking at the AM MRS-4 (grade 2) again I decided to use that instead both as I rarely engage in firefights and as the specs are comparable to the UN ARC (grade 3) with the same customizations, saving a considerable amount which can be spent on extra items in the default sortie.

Missing only is the Optics 2 slot which is useful for a booster if the Dot Sights are used.

AM MRS-4 (970 GMP):

Previously used UN ARC (2200 GMP):

Also noticed the Dot Sight I has a wider FoV than the Dot Sight II, oddly enough (seen clearly in this Japanese scope guide).

With the M2000-NL the load out comes to 6280 GMP. Not bad.

Using a custom non-lethal Renov it can be reduced to 4240, but the potency of the M2000 is worth the little extra.

I use a Grade 1 UN-ARC (140 GMP) or AM-MRS 4 (280 GMP)with the last barrel attachment which sets the barrel version to one that has better Effective Range and Shot Grouping as well as stability while moving. give it a laser sight and a sharpshooter stock. Also the UNC-ARC can have a DRUM for 75bullets each which i think is amazing. No need for optics on a lethal if im going non lethal and only using it for drones, laser is enough for me. :)

with an identical loadout i can bring the operating cost down to 5020, with a Renov it can go lower, or lower even if I use the AM-MRS4. :D

What mission are you on? There's a couple of missions you can grind for infinite precious metal. I think 2k PM is worth like 2million gmp

Mission 30 at the moment. Eh I feared I'd be told to grind things out haha.

But seriously the online resources should immediately transfer locally once you've exhausted those you currently have on hand.

Edit: Also how do I fast travel? I saw some hints at that in the first OP but didn't delve deeper

Gui_PT

Mission 30 at the moment. Eh I feared I'd be told to grind things out haha.

But seriously the online resources should immediately transfer locally once you've exhausted those you currently have on hand.

Edit: Also how do I fast travel? I saw some hints at that in the first OP but didn't delve deeper

Side Ops and Dispatch Missions are a good source of income.

For fast travelling you have to collect invoices
This is where you get them
MGS5-Box-1.jpg

Once the invoice is collected, you can fast travel to that area. You do that by stepping on the orange square and getting inside a cardboard box

Side Ops and Dispatch Missions are a good source of income.

For fast travelling you have to collect invoices
This is where you get them

Once the invoice is collected, you can fast travel to that area. You do that by stepping on the orange square and getting inside a cardboard box

Thanks a lot! Never realised what those square areas where before.

SJRB

Gold Member
Thanks a lot! Never realised what those square areas where before.
Be careful that there often will be enemies in (very) close proximity when you fast-travel to one of those, so it's not always the smartest solution.

BadWolf

Absolutely. Even with what I've said, I love how
even though Skullface is dead, he's still a massive pervasive presence. It's not just a nice twist on things either, their is a cool bit of political commentary too, especially with how the team starts turning in on itself.

That aspect really was excellent, it all flowed so well together.

Hey guys, any opinions on the strategy guide from Piggyback? Thinking about ordering it before I start playing. I bought the game alongside my PS4 last month but haven't gotten around to booting it up yet.

From what I've heard it seems to be a pretty solid guide overall with a substantial amount of story info, art, summary, timeline etc. of the MGS series.

You can download a 53 page preview here if you like:

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/met...-of-phantom-pain-official-guide-free-1781822/

I'm working my way through MGS5 very slowly, I'm at mission 16.

I have too main issues;

Not enough GMP: Whats the easiest way to acquire it?
Too many Staff; not enough bases: How do I increase my base size quickly?

Unless you want it for the screen shots, I wouldn't bother. Just use a gamefaqs walkthrough on a tablet and you're golden. Don't worry about s-ranks until you beat the game and get certain gear if you want to platinum it as quickly as possible with as little grinding as possible. Fulton everything: people, plants, vehicles, containers, and gun emplacements and and you'll rarely have an issue with resources or GMP. My advice to the next quote applies too.

I'm working my way through MGS5 very slowly, I'm at mission 16.

I have too main issues;

Not enough GMP: Whats the easiest way to acquire it?
Too many Staff; not enough bases: How do I increase my base size quickly?

The quickest and easiest ways to do it is farming rare animals. I was getting 400k a pop in like 5 minutes or less each. This is also good for filling out the animal collector trophy/achievement. Otherwise, fulton all the crap you can and sell it off except for precious materials.

On another note, all I have left is to complete construction of the nuke and dismantle it for the plat. I'm probably trading it in for Fallout 4 since there isn't really anything left for me to do.

The quickest and easiest ways to do it is farming rare animals. I was getting 400k a pop in like 5 minutes or less each. This is also good for filling out the animal collector trophy/achievement. Otherwise, fulton all the crap you can and sell it off except for precious materials.

So there's no need to keep the weapons and stuff I fulton out?

Also how the hell do I put the bear to sleep, I've pumped that sucker with maybe 20 sleep darts and its still going.

Top Bottom