• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| [EXTREME]

I can't think of a single game other than this which requires months upon months of real life time in order to acquire all the gear. Even for enthusiast standards that is absolutely ridiculous. Especially when you consider they packaged the game with MGO which is where the enthusiast content should be. If you'd like both to play MGO and acquire the high ranked gear in MGSV then forget about it because you're essentially forced to either abandon one or split your time and never get anywhere in either.

i don't understand why you want all this shit to begin with. what are you using a level 9 sniper rifle for anyway when a level 3 sniper rifle is good enough to breeze through nearly every mission in the entire game? is it just some OCD shit?

So, are staff supposed to be able to die during the FOB Events? Because the last staff member I was using died... I might not have had him under a direct contract but I thought events like this weren't supposed to have those outcomes.

So, are staff supposed to be able to die during the FOB Events? Because the last staff member I was using died... I might not have had him under a direct contract but I thought events like this weren't supposed to have those outcomes.

you learned that lesson the hard way huh. ALWAYS have staff under Direct Contract in teh Combat tab before using them in an FOB or Side Op or anything.

Dalek

I've just gotten back into this and I have a silly question. While building my base up-should I be trying to Fulton everything I can? It's very pricey and my funds keep depleting. I Fulton everything I can get my hands on.

Setsuna

I've just gotten back into this and I have a silly question. While building my base up-should I be trying to Fulton everything I can? It's very pricey and my funds keep depleting. I Fulton everything I can get my hands on.

The price to sell anything you fulton is always greater than the fulton cost

ChouGoku

After getting Quiet and using her as a buddy the game finally clicked for me. Unlike D Dog or D Walker, she completely changed the way I did a mission and it was an accident because I didn't realize she doesn't start out with a suppressor. This game has no rules. At first I was playing very stealthy, but after Quiet I realized I can do these missions literally however I wanted(so far at least, I just beat the part where
Snake rescues the child soldiers)
. I can see why this game has a polarizing effect though, this game relies on the freedom of choice but it may have too much freedom for people who want to be given an objective. Also its very different than the other MG games I've played (2,3,pw,po,po+) where those ones seemed to be a game wrapped around a story, where this one so far is a story wrapped around a game. This game seems like it is for the people who like free roaming mode in games like GTA where you make your own story through the gameplay, which is right up my alley and a perfect way to end the series.

Dalek

After getting Quiet and using her as a buddy the game finally clicked for me. Unlike D Dog or D Walker, she completely changed the way I did a mission and it was an accident because I didn't realize she doesn't start out with a suppressor. This game has no rules. At first I was playing very stealthy, but after Quiet I realized I can do these missions literally however I wanted(so far at least, I just beat the part where
Snake rescues the child soldiers)
. I can see why this game has a polarizing effect though, this game relies on the freedom of choice but it may have too much freedom for people who want to be given an objective. Also its very different than the other MG games I've played (2,3,pw,po,po+) where those ones seemed to be a game wrapped around a story, where this one so far is a story wrapped around a game. This game seems like it is for the people who like free roaming mode in games like GTA where you make your own story through the gameplay, which is right up my alley and a perfect way to end the series.

I have Quiet but she's in the brig-but I agree with everything you're saying here. I have to say though that it would be tough for me to part with D-Dog. I love using him. I had him attack some guards last night when my suppressor broke-and I ran right up and sonic punched the enemy. I happened to hit D-Dog too I guess-poor guy. I got a notification that my bond with him decreased.

ChouGoku

I have Quiet but she's in the brig-but I agree with everything you're saying here. I have to say though that it would be tough for me to part with D-Dog. I love using him. I had him attack some guards last night when my suppressor broke-and I ran right up and sonic punched the enemy. I happened to hit D-Dog too I guess-poor guy. I got a notification that my bond with him decreased.

Quiet is amazing, without the suppressor she can be a distraction to keep the enemies occupied while you sneak around and get whatever you need, or to sneak up and shoot/interrogate other enemies. With the suppressor she adds to your stealth so much. Idk if I would say shes better than D-Dog, but idk if I would say any of the buddies are better than another (except D horse hes worthless after D-walker), it is all based on how you want to carry out the mission which is what I love about this game

Dalek

Quiet is amazing, without the suppressor she can be a distraction to keep the enemies occupied while you sneak around and get whatever you need, or to sneak up and shoot/interrogate other enemies. With the suppressor she adds to your stealth so much. Idk if I would say shes better than D-Dog, but idk if I would say any of the buddies are better than another (except D horse hes worthless after D-walker), it is all based on how you want to carry out the mission which is what I love about this game

To me-it's all stealth. That's what I get the fun out of in this game-sneak around, don't be found and fulton everything out.

Flo_Evans

I think quiet does a little too much. She can pretty much tranq an entire outpost by herself. I prefer having d-dog go mark people then I can decide how to take them out.

This is one of those games where you're not supposed to get all the gear. That's why you can 100% complete it without unlocking everything.

A game with content you're not supposed to acquire?

i don't understand why you want all this shit to begin with. what are you using a level 9 sniper rifle for anyway when a level 3 sniper rifle is good enough to breeze through nearly every mission in the entire game? is it just some OCD shit?

I paid for a game. If they add more content to it then I expect it to be reasonably acquirable. Right now that is not the case as you cannot even pay $5.99 to download it as a weapon pack. Instead you have to pay twice that to buy a 4th FOB, then wait 2 weeks to mine/develop the gear, or wait 2 months to get MB coins so that you can then wait 2 weeks to mine/develop.

BadAss2961

A game with content you're not supposed to acquire?
You go after the content you want. The game has a shit load of weapons and items available, a lot of which is unnecessary depending on how you play. There's no need to acquire all of it. No rewards, no trophies/achievements or anything.

I would be fine with the online nonsense if you could develop more than four at a friggen time.

you learned that lesson the hard way huh. ALWAYS have staff under Direct Contract in teh Combat tab before using them in an FOB or Side Op or anything.
Yeah, it was an S+ guy who might've been S+ across the board, not that I don't have a lot of them now thanks to this event my standards for direct contracts have moved up but it still sung.

D-Dog is best when you get his ability to fulton guys IMO but I didn't start using that until I finished the main missions, it's nice to have nearly unlimited fultons for soldiers while you can use yours for resources.

BadAss2961

D-Dog is best when you get his ability to fulton guys IMO but I didn't start using that until I finished the main missions, it's nice to have nearly unlimited fultons for soldiers while you can use yours for resources.
I like Stun D-Dog the best. He provides just the distraction needed to get you out of most hairy situations. It's also awesome when you take down two soldiers together. He howls when he takes out the last man at a camp.

You go after the content you want. The game has a shit load of weapons and items available, a lot of which is unnecessary depending on how you play. There's no need to acquire all of it. No rewards, no trophies/achievements or anything.

I couldn't give a rat's arse about rewards or trophies. That ain't content. I care about being able to just load up a game in 6 or 12 months when I get an itch and having my save readily available with all the options to just screw around with. Or to hand the controls to a friend who is over and let them mess about with the entire thing. I don't understand the thought process where people are just cool with not being able to unlock everything either through reasonable work or DLC packs and just accept they're being told "nah, you don't deserve this unless you're willing to make an actual investment". Like Christ, it's a game, I'd like to screw around with all it has to offer.

I realized way too late that D-Dog's fulton is either infinite or ridiculously high.

Dalek

I couldn't give a rat's arse about rewards or trophies. That ain't content. I care about being able to just load up a game in 6 or 12 months when I get an itch and having my save readily available with all the options to just screw around with. Or to hand the controls to a friend who is over and let them mess about with the entire thing. I don't understand the thought process where people are just cool with not being able to unlock everything either through reasonable work or DLC packs and just accept they're being told "nah, you don't deserve this unless you're willing to make an actual investment". Like Christ, it's a game, I'd like to screw around with all it has to offer.

I realized way too late that D-Dog's fulton is either infinite or ridiculously high.

D-Dog can Fulton??

:O Oh I can't wait...

BadAss2961

Just about every piece of gear up to level 5 is acquirable as you progress through the main story. The high level versions are just more powerful with more perks. Stuff that pretty much breaks the main game. There's handguns with built-in suppressors and scopes. Assault rifles that can work close, mid, and long range. A non-lethal rocket launcher that puts enemies to sleep. lol

I haven't paid an extra cent and i've already put in the work to get all this stuff.

your reallllly reaching with this argument. there are no abilities that can't be readily unlocked. your acting as if getting sniper rifle from level 5 to level 9 is the same as locking new weapons and abilities behind a paywall. upgrading your sneaking suit to level 9 (which is overkill x 1000) =/= separate weapons and items that cannot be unlocked at all without buying FOBs

Just about every piece of gear up to level 5 is acquirable as you progress through the main story. The high level versions are just more powerful with more perks. Stuff that pretty much breaks the main game. There's handguns with built-in suppressors and scopes. Assault rifles that can work close, mid, and long range. A non-lethal rocket launcher that puts enemies to sleep. lol

I haven't paid an extra cent and i've already put in the work to get all this stuff.

exactly. all that level 7 and level 9 shit is completely pointless and arbitrary stat upgrades to existing weapons that are already OP as fuck

the microtransaction shit in this game is a silly cashgrab, but it's completely pointless and doesn't affect the single player experience in this game at all. you can easily 100% this game without even sniffing MB coins or paying anything. and i never once grinded for resources or soldiers. i just played every mission as much as i wanted, and fulton'd everything in sight, had all my soldiers auto-populate, built up mother base struts and the 1 free FOB as i went, and developed any items i wanted. the updates actually make the game easier, since all those mission tasks and challenges yield dozens and dozens of sell-able resources and millions and millions of GMP

BadAss2961

the microtransaction shit in this game is a silly cashgrab, but it's completely pointless and doesn't affect the single player experience in this game at all. you can easily 100% this game without even sniffing MB coins or paying anything. and i never once grinded for resources or soldiers. i just played every mission as much as i wanted, and fulton'd everything in sight, had all my soldiers auto-populate, built up mother base struts and the 1 free FOB as i went, and developed any items i wanted. the updates actually make the game easier, since all those mission tasks and challenges yield dozens and dozens of sell-able resources and millions and millions of GMP
Yeah, I had already 100%'d the game before that update. So I ended up with tons of retroactive mission task rewards. So much that I still have like 99 unaccepted.

Then there's the new FOB event points system, where they're practically giving away S ranks for as much as you're willing to grind. Between this and free MB coins (they give away at least about 100 each week, sometimes double), any dedicated player who just checks in on the game every day can eventually get a strong FOB and develop high level gear.

Erigu

all that level 7 and level 9 shit is completely pointless and arbitrary stat upgrades to existing weapons that are already OP as fuck
Not the announced grade 9 wormhole generator, for example. If the development costs are what you might expect for something that's grade 9...

free MB coins (they give away at least about 100 each week, sometimes double)
It's actually 80 free MB coins every 8 days, normally, and sometimes, there's a bonus (there was a fairly big one for the holidays).

They're adding the knife as a physical weapon back into MGO3. As much as I hate Konami the new team for MGO is far more competent than the last. Weekly updates, constant balance adjustments and new features being implemented all the time.

Ludens

Banned
The new event is really stupid to do with 7/7 tasks in under three minutes, I just unlocked all useless stuff I won't ever use.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
They're adding the knife as a physical weapon back into MGO3. As much as I hate Konami the new team for MGO is far more competent than the last. Weekly updates, constant balance adjustments and new features being implemented all the time.

I need to get back into MGO3 but R6: Siege has me in its grasp!

Dwayne

Sorry if already asked, but in Phantom Pain /
Quiet's Side Op, when Peqoud comes during the sandstorm, he asks for Ahab over the radio, rather than Boss. Why is that? (I didn't play this mission personally as I killed Quiet, so not sure if it's part of the story for this mission)

ElTopo

Banned
Question: how long is Phantom Pain if you skip almost every single cut scene? I'm willing to bet there's at least 10-15 hours of just cut scenes.

Question: how long is Phantom Pain if you skip almost every single cut scene? I'm willing to bet there's at least 10-15 hours of just cut scenes.

I haven't counted but I doubt there's even an hour or two of unique cut scenes. But it has something more annoying than any of the past cut scene heavy or long and frequent codec conversations of past games.

Ted

How do FOBs end up in the "Security Challenge"?

I had never been invaded since launch but since just before Christmas I have suddenly had a rash of four invaders in ten days. One I defended successfully myself as I happened to be online, one was defended by my FOB staff and two were successful (from the invaders point of view).

It's daft that my FOB can be invaded when I am offline anyway (where's the challenge in attacking an AI guarded base?) but I'm not sure what has suddenly attracted these people to my FOB? Security challenge? Level (92 combat, 93 security)? PF grade (CC-)? Just having a partially upgraded second FOB? Bad luck?

Chola

Banned

41 hours just for story missions with 4-5 hours of cut-scenes. 80 hours if you tackle side ops etc, 170 hours to 100%.

Currently i'm around 185 hours with 86% completion

Based on the compilations on Youtube, there's around 7 hours of cutscenes. For a game about at least 50 hours long, that's not a lot of them.

Can someone tell me how much longer I have to beat this game?
I'm at the part where the kids go missing from Mother Base and you have five side ops to rescue them. I also have the main mission where you pick up a film canister but I haven't beaten that mission yet.

Can someone tell me how much longer I have to beat this game?
I'm at the part where the kids go missing from Mother Base and you have five side ops to rescue them. I also have the main mission where you pick up a film canister but I haven't beaten that mission yet.

You're close to the end of the game really but it really depends on how long you're taking per mission and if you're doing a lot of side ops in between.

You're close to the end of the game really but it really depends on how long you're taking per mission and if you're doing a lot of side ops in between.

I've been powering through most missions and I get a lot of A and S ranks due to time bonuses. I'm also only doing the side ops that are yellow right now. Would you say 10 hours? More?

Top Bottom