• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| [EXTREME]

Did respawn about resource containers in SP change? Maybe to stop the airport farming...?

Been playing a bit more recently and actually raiding larger bases, and been noticing that containers in bases that I raided 1 or 2 days ago still haven't respawned... Normally before they respawn pretty quickly after you enter ACC and start a Mission. Maybe just a glitch but I noticed it a day ago and just thought nothing of it, but I'm playing again tonight and there are a lot of places that still haven't respawned containers (or even towers, electric power units, etc) in much longer than I remembered before. Seemed kinda odd, maybe just an oddity or one-off glitch.

Werd

So I got this a couple weeks ago and have been really enjoying it, the mechanics are some of the best I've played.

However, this ((mission ~23)
quarantine bit.
is absurd.
You actually force me to scroll through my 900 person staff one by one scanning 2-6 languages each time? One of the most boring things I've ever done in a game. When the mechanic was put in the game it should have been alongside a language sorting option. To top it off I alt-tabbed out a couple times to make sure I was doing the right thing and there wasn't a faster way, and 80% through I accidentally just hit tab and closed my iDroid, a bunch of people were instantly infected and I had to restart from scratch marking.

pgharavi

Banned
So I got this a couple weeks ago and have been really enjoying it, the mechanics are some of the best I've played.

However, this ((mission ~23)
quarantine bit.
is absurd.
You actually force me to scroll through my 900 person staff one by one scanning 2-6 languages each time? One of the most boring things I've ever done in a game. When the mechanic was put in the game it should have been alongside a language sorting option.

That part killed me.

you don't have to do that

what else do you suggest he do? Its been proven that soldiers learn languages from eachother, and so the infected language could spread if the infected soldiers aren't quarantined.

literally the only other suggestion you could provide is that he rush through the story missions until the one where Codetalker synthesizes an antidote.

what else do you suggest he do? Its been proven that soldiers learn languages from eachother, and so the infected language could spread if the infected soldiers aren't quarantined.

literally the only other suggestion you could provide is that he rush through the story missions until the one where Codetalker synthesizes an antidote

that's exactly what you should do. you don't have to rush though, you main line the game from there on out until ep 31. you don't have to rush through the missions, you just shouldn't do anything extra

This is a major issue but I can't make threads yet.

Nuclear disarmament is impossible to achieve the way we're doing it right now.

I don't just mean it's very hard - it's literally impossible.

- Nuke tab is broken (been refreshing for 50+ minutes, most of the time the list is empty and when it's not it's people who are already under attack)
- Base defenders can respawn infinitely and fulton their own nuke, which is conveniently right next to where they respawn
- I believe some FOB owners are notified they're being invaded as soon as an attacker arrives too
- Some FOBs have a ridiculously high level with many snipers, meaning it's ridiculously difficult to reach the final platform
- Making nukes is much faster and easier than stealing them
- A rush of newcomers who don't know about the nuclear disarmament event from the holidays mean the numbers have risen up a lot, and Konami isn't even bothering with giving them out anymore so morale to bother disarming is low (and the main motivation toward disarming is to know whether there is anything else than the already leaked cutscene or not)

The only way it could be done would be for everyone with a nuke to disarm themselves, but that's not happening since they're already a minority so it's likely they're people who either don't care about the disarmament stuff or don't (can't?) know about it.

This is a major issue but I can't make threads yet.

Nuclear disarmament is impossible to achieve the way we're doing it right now.

I don't just mean it's very hard - it's literally impossible.

- Nuke tab is broken (been refreshing for 50+ minutes, most of the time the list is empty and when it's not it's people who are already under attack)
- Base defenders can respawn infinitely and fulton their own nuke, which is conveniently right next to where they respawn
- I believe some FOB owners are notified they're being invaded as soon as an attacker arrives too
- Some FOBs have a ridiculously high level with many snipers, meaning it's ridiculously difficult to reach the final platform
- Making nukes is much faster and easier than stealing them
- A rush of newcomers who don't know about the nuclear disarmament event from the holidays mean the numbers have risen up a lot, and Konami isn't even bothering with giving them out anymore so morale to bother disarming is low (and the main motivation toward disarming is to know whether there is anything else than the already leaked cutscene or not)

The only way it could be done would be for everyone with a nuke to disarm themselves, but that's not happening since they're already a minority so it's likely they're people who either don't care about the disarmament stuff or don't (can't?) know about it.

yeah it's totally broken. the one time i stole a nuke, i disarmed it immedietely. 3 minutes later someone invaded me and stole the nuke i already disarmed. that's a huge problem. anyone trying to run around and disarm nukes is likely stealing nukes from someone else who is trying to accomplish the same thing they are. the fact that they haven't updated the numbers or promoted it means they are either cutting bait or they are trying to fix the issue

Ludens

Banned
yeah it's totally broken. the one time i stole a nuke, i disarmed it immedietely. 3 minutes later someone invaded me and stole the nuke i already disarmed. that's a huge problem. anyone trying to run around and disarm nukes is likely stealing nukes from someone else who is trying to accomplish the same thing they are. the fact that they haven't updated the numbers or promoted it means they are either cutting bait or they are trying to fix the issue

I dismantled nukes for a LONG time (Steam says I dismantled 115 of them), but...I just gave up.
Since the last update invading a FOB is VERY hard, expecially because I only trigger level 50 Fobs fully developed with new anti-intrusion systems.
Still, I managed to dismantle several nukes even after the update.
But now comes the bad news: way too often you steal 4 nukes, you reach the core, during the stats screen you receive the message you stole those nukes...but they are not here when you try to dismantle them.
You steal a nuke, something on Konami's servers screw up, and you end with nothing, only wasted your time. And this happened a LOT of times to me.

Plus, is basically impossible achieve this goal on PC. Cheaters can spam infinite nukes, if Konami won't implement an anti-cheat system (and also delete all "fake" nukes from the servers), this task will remain unsolved.

Man, even on console (360) there were something like 40 nukes left and still no one managed to clear those up and unlock the nuke ending.

I dismantled nukes for a LONG time (Steam says I dismantled 115 of them), but...I just gave up.
Since the last update invading a FOB is VERY hard, expecially because I only trigger level 50 Fobs fully developed with new anti-intrusion systems.
Still, I managed to dismantle several nukes even after the update.
But now comes the bad news: way too often you steal 4 nukes, you reach the core, during the stats screen you receive the message you stole those nukes...but they are not here when you try to dismantle them.
You steal a nuke, something on Konami's servers screw up, and you end with nothing, only wasted your time. And this happened a LOT of times to me.

Plus, is basically impossible achieve this goal on PC. Cheaters can spam infinite nukes, if Konami won't implement an anti-cheat system (and also delete all "fake" nukes from the servers), this task will remain unsolved.

Man, even on console (360) there were something like 40 nukes left and still no one managed to clear those up and unlock the nuke ending.
Dude I feel you. My steam save says I've got 135 disarms total. 80 of those were done in 8 hours of constant refreshing of the nuke tab. I even streamed all 80+ of those disarms for posterity on twitch.

And the above poster is right, Nuke holders are notified as soon as you invade. This makes getting to the nuke on high level bases almost impossible without being detected. So there is no reason to worry about destroying cameras or killing soldiers (even though I disarmed with a non-lethal approach) because they will almost always spawn in to defend and force you to kill soldiers or destroy cameras and drones to make it to the nuke in time to steal it. And EVEN if you make it in time, they can (or someone else) can invade you before youve dismantled the nuke (and even after youve dismantled it on your end), FORCING YOU to re-steal that nuke from yourself to keep it out of anyones hands.

ONE positive is the Philanthropy group on Reddit, they are all about nuclear disarmament, and the groups members all sport a similar emblem. That way, if i see a philanthropy member in the Nuke tab, I know to ignore him because he only has a nuke he just stole and is about to dismantle it. This saved me so much time and trouble in the long run, and probably saved me from being invaded by others if I didnt have the philanthropy emblem while I was on a Nuke Dismantling run.

What Konami needs to do is TIE NUKE DEVELOPMENT to ONLINE DEVELOPMENT, like the yellow items that take online time to develop. If they did that, no one could cheat and "add" nukes to themselves.

Dude I feel you. My steam save says I've got 135 disarms total. 80 of those were done in 8 hours of constant refreshing of the nuke tab. I even streamed all 80+ of those disarms for posterity on twitch.

And the above poster is right, Nuke holders are notified as soon as you invade. This makes getting to the nuke on high level bases almost impossible without being detected. So there is no reason to worry about destroying cameras or killing soldiers (even though I disarmed with a non-lethal approach) because they will almost always spawn in to defend and force you to kill soldiers or destroy cameras and drones to make it to the nuke in time to steal it. And EVEN if you make it in time, they can (or someone else) can invade you before youve dismantled the nuke (and even after youve dismantled it on your end), FORCING YOU to re-steal that nuke from yourself to keep it out of anyones hands.

ONE positive is the Philanthropy group on Reddit, they are all about nuclear disarmament, and the groups members all sport a similar emblem. That way, if i see a philanthropy member in the Nuke tab, I know to ignore him because he only has a nuke he just stole and is about to dismantle it. This saved me so much time and trouble in the long run, and probably saved me from being invaded by others if I didnt have the philanthropy emblem while I was on a Nuke Dismantling run.

What Konami needs to do is TIE NUKE DEVELOPMENT to ONLINE DEVELOPMENT, like the yellow items that take online time to develop. If they did that, no one could cheat and "add" nukes to themselves.

Ahhh, I'll have to change my emblem if they ever fix it. PS4, even with the largest player base only had like 250 nukes at one point until an update broke the whole nuke finding system

INTERNET

SERIOUS BUSINESS
So I saw a post saying how the closest thing to Splinter Cell these days was this game and thought I'd give it a try. I haven't played any MGS except 2 on the og xbox 10 years ago, and even then I only played up to the first boss and and said "welp this is bullshit", but I was told it was a bad port or whatever.
I'm struggling a little here, and I kind of expect dismissive responses to this, but I really want to like this game. The opening Bowie part was rock solid. The crawl around and randomly have control yanked away from you part after that wasn't. Now I'm at the lobby (?) part where the bandaged dude draws fire, and everything is on fire. My goal is to stealth through here, but I'm not sure if I can. Reading the in game manual, it says I can somehow lean over the edge to hang off it - instead, regardless of posture, I just drop and alert the nearby guard. Fine - I'll sneak up behind him and hold R2 to choke him out, as per the documentation, but instead bump him and alert all his friends. I kind of gently rage quit last night after a dozen tries. Am I not playing this right?
Edit also when do I get to hang sideways off of a horse

Xanathus

So I saw a post saying how the closest thing to Splinter Cell these days was this game and thought I'd give it a try. I haven't played any MGS except 2 on the og xbox 10 years ago, and even then I only played up to the first boss and and said "welp this is bullshit", but I was told it was a bad port or whatever.
I'm struggling a little here, and I kind of expect dismissive responses to this, but I really want to like this game. The opening Bowie part was rock solid. The crawl around and randomly have control yanked away from you part after that wasn't. Now I'm at the lobby (?) part where the bandaged dude draws fire, and everything is on fire. My goal is to stealth through here, but I'm not sure if I can. Reading the in game manual, it says I can somehow lean over the edge to hang off it - instead, regardless of posture, I just drop and alert the nearby guard. Fine - I'll sneak up behind him and hold R2 to choke him out, as per the documentation, but instead bump him and alert all his friends. I kind of gently rage quit last night after a dozen tries. Am I not playing this right?
Edit also when do I get to hang sideways off of a horse

You can't do any melee or CQC or ledge hanging moves at that part because you're missing an arm, just shoot them in the head. IIRC you don't even need to take them out, you can just sneak or even run to the main exit door in order to trigger the cutscene.

INTERNET

SERIOUS BUSINESS
You can't do any melee or CQC or ledge hanging moves at that part because you're missing an arm, just shoot them in the head. IIRC you don't even need to take them out, you can just sneak or even run to the main exit door in order to trigger the cutscene.

Well that's infuriating, but thanks!. When is the open world part?

INTERNET

SERIOUS BUSINESS
Jesus why won't they shut up and let me play. Nothing I do seems to matter.
Edit: stealthed away from fire man, until he gave me fire hugs and I died. Next time I moved five feet in the "right" direction and triggered a cutscene. Lot of stuff happened, who cares. Was finally given back control, but as an experiment I just sat there when given the opportunity to shoot the fire hugging guy, and he got run over anyway. Then a lot of words, I'm in the desert, binocular instruction, on a sweet horse but can't move. I'm out, see you in the MGS8 thread.

Jesus why won't they shut up and let me play. Nothing I do seems to matter.
Edit: stealthed away from fire man, until he gave me fire hugs and I died. Next time I moved five feet in the "right" direction and triggered a cutscene. Lot of stuff happened, who cares. Was finally given back control, but as an experiment I just sat there when given the opportunity to shoot the fire hugging guy, and he got run over anyway. Then a lot of words, I'm in the desert, binocular instruction, on a sweet horse but can't move. I'm out, see you in the MGS8 thread.

lol, i think you missed the point of the game that was setup with the intro. Did you even play Ground Zeroes or know what happened between then and the start of TPP?

INTERNET

SERIOUS BUSINESS
lol, i think you missed the point of the game that was setup with the intro. Did you even play Ground Zeroes or know what happened between then and the start of TPP?

I've heard mention of Ground Zeroes, but no. Is that another game you just sit there and watch happen?

Ted

I've heard mention of Ground Zeroes, but no. Is that another game you just sit there and watch happen?

You're pretty much at the last hand held section for a good while.

The other dude on the other horse will talk you through using the intel and marking functions of the map and binoculars and then you are on your own. You don't even have to follow his instructions once you have control of your horse, the unimaginatively name "D-Horse".

I think after that there is only really a couple of missions where you are forced to approach them in a specific, led, way and maybe one more tutorial (rather conicidentally to your post, a CQC tutorial when you arrive back at mother base).

I'd say push through. As someone who, like you, isn't interested really in cut scenes, there's not many after the introduction that can't be skipped (left side of the touch pad, select skip). That said, there are a number of "resource/inventory management" aspects of this game that whilst they can be minimised and skirted around, they can never be eliminated entirely so, go forth informed at least!

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I'm not to mission 22 yet. If I never want to fuck with FOB stuff but want to keep the billion dollars I get from connecting to the server, will people online come fuck up my mother base, or is that only optional FOB madness?

Kindekuma

Banned
Figured it's worth mentioning that the PC version of MGO3 will have a Beta coming out tomorrow night at 10pm-12am PST, so make sure you opt in for betas for MGSV.

Also I fear that a full release won't come until February now. But we'll see.

Soodanim

I didn't read the 100 daily pages properly on my return to the game today (whoa loads of rewards to collect).

What do you have to do in the FOB to get the blueprint for level 9 fulton?

Setsuna

Well at least you get 1.2 million per completion

EDIT:Its actually not that hard if you have a silenced brennan and dont get spotted

Dice

So the game didn't explain that there are no checkpoints and no retries on Mission 22, so I played it risky trying to capture everyone and died. That rrrrrrreeeeeaaaallllyyy pissed me off and it took me an hour of bitching and eating lunch to get over it. I went back armed to the teeth and just killed every last one of them. Since their boss was at the top of the platform in the open, why again couldn't we shoot him from the chopper? We even could have flown from really far away and had Quiet do it. Such stupid shit.

Setsuna

So the game didn't explain that there are no checkpoints and no retries on Mission 22, so I played it risky trying to capture everyone and died. That rrrrrrreeeeeaaaallllyyy pissed me off and it took me an hour of bitching and eating lunch to get over it. I went back armed to the teeth and just killed every last one of them. Since their boss was at the top of the platform in the open, why again couldn't we shoot him from the chopper? We even could have flown from really far away and had Quiet do it. Such stupid shit.

Its a tutorial. . .For FOB Missions

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Base Color 002 is a repeat, yeah? I can't seem to buy it if it isn't despite having the points.

Dice

Extracting child soldiers is super annoying because my chopper pilot is a moron who doesn't seem to realize it takes time to individually move 10 of them over to the LZ.

Its a tutorial. . .For FOB Missions
And it's stupid shit. I also disagree, because tutorials actually fucking explain the rules.

Ludens

Banned
Extracting child soldiers is super annoying because my chopper pilot is a moron who doesn't seem to realize it takes time to individually move 10 of them over to the LZ.

And it's stupid shit. I also disagree, because tutorials actually fucking explain the rules.

I replied you yesterday in the Steam thread: the game tells you what you need to do.
It's a two minutes mission, I can't really see why you are having problems on it, there's really no way you should get stucked here.

Dice

I replied you yesterday in the Steam thread: the game tells you what you need to do.
It's a two minutes mission, I can't really see why you are having problems on it, there's really no way you should get stucked here.
Yes, I saw it. And it tells you to kill the commander and that is all. It doesn't tell you that the basic rules of play have all changed for that mission. All it says is that you won't get field support.

I also didn't get stuck. I died once because I intentionally played risky to try and steal all the enemy soldiers because I thought I had retries like I had for the entire game up to that point. After I took a break because it pissed me off so much I went back in and just killed everyone very easily because I wanted to get it over with. The whole thing is an incredibly stupid idea and forcing it on you is stupid. All that shit should be entirely optional on the side and not AFTER it forces some of it on you. Even after the mission the stupid game pops up with the "pick a rival" bullshit and forces you through the menus all the way up to loadout selection before letting you back out and get back to what you were doing before it rudely interrupted.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Really? That's weird, I am sure I've seen "outpost captured' followed by emblem parts or names I've unlocked.

The emblems aren't tied to outposts. They're tied to certain actions you do (CQC, Tranqs, Kills)

Top Bottom