• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| [EXTREME]

HoodWinked

To try and sell MB coins, it's all Konami cares about now.

cant speed that one up.

was there a new cutscene added cause i got a call from miller to come to motherbase after i beat a mission i repeated so i assumed it was part of the mission so i skipped it but turns out it wasnt. now im sad cause i have no clue which one it was.

cant speed that one up.

was there a new cutscene added cause i got a call from miller to come to motherbase after i beat a mission i repeated so i assumed it was part of the mission so i skipped it but turns out it wasnt. now im sad cause i have no clue which one it was.

was your gmp in the red? is today your birthday?

VAD

Oh my god, did they outsource boss battles like Square Enix? Mission 45 is an absolute bitch and doesn't make any sense. How am I supposed to know I must be prepared to fight
an entire armored division
? And no option to go back to base and plan accordingly... liamneesonwhy.gif

BadWolf

Oh my god, did they outsource boss battles like Square Enix? Mission 45 is an absolute bitch and doesn't make any sense. How am I supposed to know I must be prepared to fight
an entire armored division
? And no option to go back to base and plan accordingly... liamneesonwhy.gif

You have two options:

- Call in new gear via supply drop.
- There is a container in the area, get on it and fulton Venom along with it to exit the mission.

BadAss2961

I thought the last FOB event was easy, but this one takes the cake... especially at the base development platform. Best thing about it is it only takes a minute or two.

Gotta set aside a day to just grind and horde all those S ranks with event points.

Also, the new "stone" fatigues are the best fatigues.

Veelk

Banned
Okay, relatively new MGSV player here.

And it's....well, it's....it's something that I never thought MGS would be.

I played my single longest game session with MGS2, being unable to put it down until I got to the end. And I've done write ups on how MGS4 fails as a story, but still remember a lot of good moments. So I've seen MGS be magestically good, and I've seen MGS be horrifically bad.

What I've never seen until MGSV is it be boring as shit.

I'm seriously considering dropping it and youtubing the general story. I've just beaten Mission 11, btw, and I still have to beat 8, 9 and 10, and I've done a bunch of side ops to build my base up. And I feel I'm just chasing my own tail. I'm doing the same base missions over and over to get money and staff. I do that to get better guns. And I do that so I can play the main campaign missions which are typically only marginally more interesting than what I would be doing otherwise.

No Metal Gear game has ever put me to sleep this hard. There's so much busy work that I think playing the actual main campaign has taken up 25% of my time, but if I don't do the other crap, I'm gonna screw myself over out of the stuff that can make the game more enjoyable.

Is there a point where it gets exponentially better? Because I am thinking of dropping this, something I almost never do, but this is gonna be another 40 hours of my life if I don't.

Haunted

Okay, relatively new MGSV player here.

And it's....well, it's....it's something that I never thought MGS would be.

I played my single longest game session with MGS2, being unable to put it down until I got to the end. And I've done write ups on how MGS4 fails as a story, but still remember a lot of good moments. So I've seen MGS be magestically good, and I've seen MGS be horrifically bad.

I'm seriously considering dropping it and youtubing the general story. I've just beaten Mission 11, btw, and I still have to beat 8, 9 and 10, and I've done a bunch of side ops to build my base up. And I feel I'm just chasing my own tail. I'm doing the same base missions over and over to get money and staff. I do that to get better guns. And I do that so I can play the main campaign missions which are typically only marginally more interesting than what I would be doing otherwise.

No Metal Gear game has ever put me to sleep this hard. There's so much busy work that I think playing the actual main campaign has taken up 25% of my time, but if I don't do the other crap, I'm gonna screw myself over out of the stuff that can make the game more enjoyable.

Is there a point where it gets exponentially better? Because I am thinking of dropping this, something I almost never do, but this is gonna be another 40 hours of my life if I don't.
There's no point where it suddenly gets exponentially better. Though I recommend just playing the main missions and doing only select sideops (like, each type once, or those that get you translators).

Grinding repetitive sideops to get weapon upgrades before continuing with the main missions is the fastest way to burn yourself out on the game.

Comparing the approach to the older games, it'd be like entering and exiting areas several times to kill/tranq the same guards again and again instead of heading to the next objective.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

That's a shame.

If I could go through it for the first time again, I wouldn't have tried to complete the whole game in one "sitting" like the old Gears. It's like trying to do the whole of MGS2: Substance including Snake Tales, VR Missions etc. in one go! XD

Regarding the Side Ops: I think the simplicity of the objectives are there to give you room to be creative. They don't rank you like the main missions do, so you can pretty much go nuts without any meaningful consequences. Run and gun, Ghost, sabotage, airstrikes, sniping, kidnap, vehicular combat - you can do it all and no one will wag a digital finger at you! You're limited only by what you have unlocked and whatever you can think up. Make use of all your new equipment/support options and think outside the box:

What do I want, what do I have, how do I use the latter to get the former in the most interesting way possible.

A mission as simple as assassinating a target can be tackled in a half dozen or more ways. Experiment and don't be too concerned about Motherbase staffing, there will always be people and equipment to pilfer later down the road and the Main Ops give you tons of good stuff anyway.

i probably only did 15-20% of the side ops when i first beat the game. i wouldn't recommend anyone run around the maps doing side op after side op

BadWolf

i probably only did 15-20% of the side ops when i first beat the game. i wouldn't recommend anyone run around the maps doing side op after side op

Yup, those are there for fun and a nice distraction for future play sessions when you want a break from the regular missions.

I did pretty much the same thing in Dragon's Dogma (the only other open world game I've ever enjoyed) and also completely ignored side quests in Xenoblade.

Wasting a lot of time on side missions is a great way to burn yourself out on a game.

BadAss2961

I loved the gameplay, so i'd typically complete the 4-5 side ops that were available in one map between each story mission. This kept my story and side ops ratio balanced, which is always my goal in games with side quests.

I can imagine how boring it would be to have nothing but side ops to play to progress the story or platinum the game.

Flo_Evans

I love the side ops. What else am I going to use all these leathal weapons on?

I was playing stealthy and not killing anyone - then I realized the game didn't care. Now when I go to extract a prisoner I roll up in an APC and call in a air strike.

I am only about half way through the main story but I can't believe they fired Kojima over this game. Has there been any good write ups on the fallout? I've avoided any news until I had a chance to play it.

The "G" in this MGS should stand for Grind. Buy MB coins!

I wonder how many people since the last patch are in for a rude surprise when they play again and their staff and resources have been gutted.

I thought the last FOB event was easy, but this one takes the cake... especially at the base development platform. Best thing about it is it only takes a minute or two.

Gotta set aside a day to just grind and horde all those S ranks with event points.

Also, the new "stone" fatigues are the best fatigues.

Yeah, finished that grind an hour or so ago, got it down to around 90 seconds and sometimes less from the timer starting to it stopping with properly placed C4 and getting the 19,200 or whatever points. I'm not hating it thanks to how quickly it went compared to the last one but it was getting pretty annoying the times the servers would fail and I'd get nothing. >_<

Coreda

I am only about half way through the main story but I can't believe they fired Kojima over this game. Has there been any good write ups on the fallout? I've avoided any news until I had a chance to play it.

Super Bunnyhop made a good video about the story. Goes into some detail. Konami tried to get the video taken down at the time.

Okay, so that was interesting... I'm doing the stupid FOB event, I stop the Skulls and it should about end but NOPE! A message pop up that a rival or whatever has shown up, you know the message you get when you invade a FOB and its owner or a supporter shows up. It's the user whose FOB I checked (but didn't infiltrate) before I did the event, it goes black before saying the other person had left or something so now I'm back on the event FOB and after a minute I get the FOG warning and I have to start the fight with the Skulls over again with only three C4 and aside from the RPG no real weapons to fight them, I do eventually get them all and extract three for my trouble but like a dumbass I lobbed grenades at the last one since it was all I had left, "killed" him and then preceded to run over to fulton only to get blown up by a tossed grenade that hadn't detonated yet and accidentally blow myself up, yay! So I fail, don't get points from what I already done aside from the 1,000 or so from the first three tasks.

cant speed that one up.

Oh well... That's still pretty much the answer to just about everything that's happened with this game since release.

The PS4 top ranked player has 23412610 event points, which at 20k points an event (this is actually overestimating) he has had to do 1170 skull runs. Assuming it takes 90 seconds a run that's 29.25 hours spent on the FOB event by a single person. Does that sound reasonable? Is this person a machine or am I right to suspect shenanigans.

The PS4 top ranked player has 23412610 event points, which at 20k points an event (this is actually overestimating) he has had to do 1170 skull runs. Assuming it takes 90 seconds a run that's 29.25 hours spent on the FOB event by a single person. Does that sound reasonable? Is this person a machine or am I right to suspect shenanigans.

People are no-lifing the shit out of this for some reason. It's reasonable, the leader on the cheater hell that is the PC side has 107,426,012 so yeeeaaah....

People are no-lifing the shit out of this for some reason. It's reasonable, the leader on the cheater hell that is the PC side has 107,426,012 so yeeeaaah....

I imagine PC is super crazy with the cheats. And while 24 million is entirely possible, I just found 29+ hours dedicated to this to be rather unreasonable. Unfortunately I can't see who is in the number 2 spot so I can't even see how he compares to the other top tier rankers.

someone said on twitch that the top 10 , 100, 1000 or something, get a snake emblem at the end of the event. not sure if confirmed or true though.

someone said on twitch that the top 10 , 100, 1000 or something, get a snake emblem at the end of the event. not sure if confirmed or true though.

They do, it's on the event description: http://www.konami.jp/mgs5/tpp/en/base/index.php5

- Top 1-10: [Snake (Gold)]
- Top 11-100: [Snake (Silver)]
- Top 101-500: [Snake (Bronze)]
- Top 501-1000: [Snake (Normal)]

However I don't know if the rewards are worldwide. Whenever I do the event It says I'm ranked 1 in my ladder or league or whatever it's called, but then above that is this other guy who has 24 million across them all.

I just finished mission 45 and
Quiet is just gone now, permanently, there was no way for me to know this was going to happen and I had no way to even exit out of the mission when I got in it. Apparently there is an emblem you can get that keeps her from leaving, but how was I supposed to know that? I'm just down one Buddy now for no good reason. Can't even use her to replay earlier missions.

This is some hot bullshit.

I just finished mission 45 and
Quiet is just gone now, permanently, there was no way for me to know this was going to happen and I had no way to even exit out of the mission when I got in it. Apparently there is an emblem you can get that keeps her from leaving, but how was I supposed to know that? I'm just down one Buddy now for no good reason. Can't even use her to replay earlier missions.

This is some hot bullshit.

You can replay the dual with Quiet and I believe after the 7th or so replay she comes back.

But I do agree. It is nonsense.

Ludens

Banned

Cheaters, the game is full.
I think the fact it's the PS4 version shouldn't prevent thinking otherwise. This, or I'm just used as PC player of MGSV, lol.

pbayne

So I beat mission 22, should I not bother with FOBs? I pretty much always have the game in offline mode anyway. Are resources that hard to get? Fultoning containers seems to get me a decent chunk of them,

My third is nearing completion and I still top out at level 101 in certain units. I have no clue how they expect people to get to 117 or whatever the max is to develop all the gear.

After this event and stealing a decent amount of S++ staff from others, especially cheaters, I'm at 94-96 and security at 99 with my two FOBs and Mother Base. I wouldn't be surprised if you need the fourth FOB to get to those stupid levels without a ridiculous amount of S++ staff.

SeanR1221

So I originally stopped playing this game because I got wrapped up in Mario maker.

I want to finish it though.

I'm around mission 20 or so but my question is...

How much will all the post launch bullshit stuff interfere with my enjoyment? I don't want to do base building and defending but will all my resources be stripped from me??

So I beat mission 22, should I not bother with FOBs? I pretty much always have the game in offline mode anyway. Are resources that hard to get? Fultoning containers seems to get me a decent chunk of them,

It doesn't hurt to build up the FOB while you're going through the game. It helps facilitate development of items, weapons, etc. Just keep the security settings maxed so most invasions fail.

yeah and i think that's having a FOB makes the SP more fun...

you can mostly ignore it still... invasions seem pretty darn rare too now, especially I would guess for new players with such low pvp ranks (so they'll never seed as random targets for active players).

it's still an extra little thing that adds 'flavour' to the SP experience as long as invasions don't become annoying (if you were getting even 1 a day, that could be annoying when you want to focus on story missions without the invasion alarm breaking your immersion).

J-Skee

So I turned this game on after about a month of not playing... what is with all the downloads? It's asking me to download the MGO add-on (another version, I guess) & MGSV game data. What exactly did I miss & do I need both MGO data packs on the hard drive?

What exactly are the piss yellow highlighted dispatch missions? Are they just temporary ones that will eventually be replaced?

So I turned this game on after about a month of not playing... what is with all the downloads? It's asking me to download the MGO add-on (another version, I guess) & MGSV game data. What exactly did I miss & do I need both MGO data packs on the hard drive?

Bunch of updates that further cement the monetization of MGSV. They add more gear but also insane R&D requirements and one of them patches out a resource exploit that made the game much less of a pain. And I assume you need the MGO packs if you plan to play MGO, but not if you're just playing MGSV.

How much will all the post launch bullshit stuff interfere with my enjoyment? I don't want to do base building and defending but will all my resources be stripped from me??

Hard to say since I 100% the game before all the crap was added but I might recommend playing in offline mode and just build up your motherbase with the resources you get by progressing through the missions.

Setsuna

So I originally stopped playing this game because I got wrapped up in Mario maker.

I want to finish it though.

I'm around mission 20 or so but my question is...

No base building? you might as well not play the game

You will be locked out from some of the easiest and most valuable weapons

J-Skee

Bunch of updates that further cement the monetization of MGSV. They add more gear but also insane R&D requirements and one of them patches out a resource exploit that made the game much less of a pain. And I assume you need the MGO packs if you plan to play MGO, but not if you're just playing MGSV.

Yeah, everything I read just felt really gross. This is definitely the product of a company who wants to milk it for all it's worth. FOB Insurance you have to spend real money for? No thanks.

Oops, I gave the wrong leader for the FOB event, the 100M+ person was the leader for the espionage score. The PC leader for the event on PC has 22,265,944 presently. But there are still people who are cheating, including someone who was seemingly either getting double points (38K per run) or speeding things up to make it look that way.

BadAss2961

Yeah, everything I read just felt really gross. This is definitely the product of a company who wants to milk it for all it's worth. FOB Insurance you have to spend real money for? No thanks.
I don't really get this. Yeah, the game is designed to milk people of their money, but only those who are willing to part with it. I've spent $0 on extra content, but have multiple bases above level 90. In a few weeks i'll be building my 3rd FOB.

The online weapons and content are well beyond what you need for the story. They're just for enthusiasts who love the game and are willing to put in overtime for crazy gear.

I don't really get this. Yeah, the game is designed to milk people of their money, but only those who are willing to part with it. I've spent $0 on extra content, but have multiple bases above level 90. In a few weeks i'll be building my 3rd FOB.

The online weapons and content are well beyond what you need for the story. They're just for enthusiasts who love the game and are willing to put in overtime for crazy gear.

I can't think of a single game other than this which requires months upon months of real life time in order to acquire all the gear. Even for enthusiast standards that is absolutely ridiculous. Especially when you consider they packaged the game with MGO which is where the enthusiast content should be. If you'd like both to play MGO and acquire the high ranked gear in MGSV then forget about it because you're essentially forced to either abandon one or split your time and never get anywhere in either.

BadAss2961

I can't think of a single game other than this which requires months upon months of real life time in order to acquire all the gear. Even for enthusiast standards that is absolutely ridiculous. Especially when you consider they packaged the game with MGO which is where the enthusiast content should be. If you'd like both to play MGO and acquire the high ranked gear in MGSV then forget about it because you're essentially forced to either abandon one or split your time and never get anywhere in either.
This is one of those games where you're not supposed to get all the gear. That's why you can 100% complete it without unlocking everything.

I got to 100%, now I develop my base to go after the high level gear that fits my playstyle.

Top Bottom