• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| [EXTREME]

SJRB

Gold Member
Just fired up the game for the first time since early October. It was absolutely insane how many messages I had to plough through before I could actually play.

First I had to download a 400 mb update DLC through the PSN Store [...what]. Then a fuckton of server information screens at the start, then at least 6 tutorials about FOB stuff I both already know and don't give a flying fuck about. Then a forced cutscene about Mother Base which apparantly was just invaded [pretty sure I saw this one already in my playthrough] and then another couple of online related garbage prompts and tutorials.

Now that there's a Challenge List available, I discovered that I actually don't have all of the music tapes. Not entirely sure if includes the misc. sound tapes (animal noises, etc) but if it doesn't, I'm in no real hurry to find what I'm missing

Setsuna

Sweet. With the MB coins today I can finally afford a new FOB. Maybe I'll be playing some SP again

Which one do you plan on getting. They all seem pretty average IMO.
I dont even know if i want to get a 3rd fob or save MB coins for metal gear online

Also switching language on steam to japanese gives you japanese audio and keeps the text and subtitles in english. pretty neat that they did that

mf.luder

Which one do you plan on getting. They all seem pretty average IMO.
I dont even know if i want to get a 3rd fob or save MB coins for metal gear online

Also switching language on steam to japanese gives you japanese audio and keeps the text and subtitles in english. pretty neat that they did that

I bought the one that has precious metals at A. I just bought it because I wanted another. I wasn't buying anything in MGO, I can even save up again.

boa, what are those new uniforms I'm reading about ?
Not super sure but I think it's from here...
http://www.konami.jp/mgs5/tpp/en/news/update201512.php5

So, they would be... the Cyborg Raiden and Cyborg Ninja outfits for FOB, and two new fatigues camo, Woodland Fleck and Old Rose.

If the woodland fleck uses the Snake Eater fatigues and its same camo pattern, I really want it :O Haven't played FOBs much in a while though, all the crazy upgrades totally turned me off the MP. I mostly just raid some Afghan outposts a couple times a week =p

Demise

I just passed the cloaked mission (when you first encounter Quiet), but I keep encountering D to C level soldiers. When will I be able to encounter better one ? I want a silenced sniper.

ChouGoku

Fuck I got this game for christmas and I already think this is already one of the most well put together games, gameplay wise, I have ever played. They really nailed the "choose your own way to do this mission". This is probably some of the best controls I have ever had in a game. So excited to keep playing, thank you based Japanese god Kojima

Fuck I got this game for christmas and I already think this is already one of the most well put together games, gameplay wise, I have ever played. They really nailed the "choose your own way to do this mission". This is probably some of the best controls I have ever had in a game. So excited to keep playing, thank you based Japanese god Kojima

Until you have to do FOB shit and it becomes a grind. =\

mf.luder

Yeah, I thought so too. It's still too fresh for me so I haven't gone back to the campaign. I go to collect my MB coins and struggle to even do 1 mission. MGO only.

ReaperXL7

Ok Gaf, I got some gift cards for Xmas and I think I'm going to finally bite the bullet and pick up MGS but I wanted to know how badly the Konami baggage has potentially hurt the game post launch. I have seen and read various degrees of fuckery on their part for this game after it released and it put me off buying it.

Would you guys say that the game is still worth picking up now, has your experience diminished due to the changes that Konami made to the game? I'll be reading as much of the OT as I can but I wanted to get some feedback on the current state of the game before I pick it up.

Cracklox

Ok Gaf, I got some gift cards for Xmas and I think I'm going to finally bite the bullet and pick up MGS but I wanted to know how badly the Konami baggage has potentially hurt the game post launch. I have seen and read various degrees of fuckery on their part for this game after it released and it put me off buying it.

Would you guys say that the game is still worth picking up now, has your experience diminished due to the changes that Konami made to the game? I'll be reading as much of the OT as I can but I wanted to get some feedback on the current state of the game before I pick it up.

I guess that would matter what expectations you have going in. Are you a fan of the lore and love everything Metal Gear? You may be disappointed. Do you like tight, opened ended gameplay, with countless ways to tackle any situation? You'll be hard pressed to find anything better

For me, I've played (and loved) all but the psp games, and I stopped caring much for the story somewhere around half way through 2. Just got too convoluted and I just wanted to watch cool cutscenes and partake in awesome boss battles, without all the political intrigue and double crossing and what have you. 4 was great for the 4-5 hours or so I was controlling things, but the other 15 watching was a bit much.

I loved 5 though. I had it only behind Witcher 3 for my GOTY. I'm someone who's more about the journey (hence why I don't have intense hatred for something like Mass Effect 3 just because of its terribad ending) and despite the game being unfinished in some story elements, the gameplay and freedom it allows are un-paralleled. Its also looks extremely pretty, particularly the character models. On the negative side, the integrated online stuff with built in micro transactions isn't great, but like others have stated you can beat the game in offline mode if that were to bother you

Overall though, it may be one of the more polarizing games released in recent memory.

Erigu

What does it reward?
Pretty much the same as last time around, except they're two new uniforms, three (I think?) new camo patterns for weapons, one new camo pattern for your base and one new emblem part (I also got a new faceplate, but I'm not sure what the conditions are exactly).

Ludens

Banned
What does it reward? Killing skulls is a million times more entertaining than infiltrating the same thing over and over and over and over.

It gives you two new costumes, 4 colors and one emblem (D-Dog), but they cost a lot.
For now I unlocked two costumes and two colors, got tired and quit the game.

Is there a control option on the PS4 version to change aim/fire to L1/R1? Other than the system wide swap.

on the home page of the ps4 go to settings, then accessibility, then go to button configuration

i actually did the same thing because i played so many hours of ground zeroes on ps3 that i got use to playing mgsV with L1 and R1 being aim and shoot

cool part is: when you hold someone up you can keep your weapon drawn while interrogating an enemy, it's a bit more immersive

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
It gives you two new costumes, 4 colors and one emblem (D-Dog), but they cost a lot.

Uh... no they don't.

Go in with the standard fatigue (the default outfit you start the game with), C4 Lv. 5, Brennan Anti-Material Rifle Lv. 5

C4 a machine gun emplacement and the anti-air emplacement with one C4.

Layout C4 in an X shape QUICKLY.

Skulls appear. 2 of them on C4? GREAT! Detonate to insta-kill them.

Proceeed to dodge the stupid powerful insta-kill explode-y ground-stalagmite attack while Brennaning the last two in the face.

14000 Event Points in one go if you do it fast enough.

All 3 platforms done? You should have the event items this time.

I can't figure out the nameplates though. Appparently people have unlocked Diamond Dog and Quiet's but I haven't seen them in the store or mentioned in the event notes. In any case this Skulls event while interesting (kill all the enemies) is just completely boring. It's stupid as hell to sit there and pray they don't have some stalagmite nearby to insta-kill you. :/

I can't figure out the nameplates though. Appparently people have unlocked Diamond Dog and Quiet's but I haven't seen them in the store or mentioned in the event notes. In any case this Skulls event while interesting (kill all the enemies) is just completely boring. It's stupid as hell to sit there and pray they don't have some stalagmite nearby to insta-kill you. :/

Quiet nameplate is unlocked by a successful infiltration of a player FOB in which the owner of the FOB defends it. The details were stupidly hidden in the last event notes. I don't know if it's too late to unlock it. Once you fill the condition they appear in the event store.

CE4FB7D9F202895489B7B69E282CB5CBE8748457

Edit: Actually the more I read on it the less clear it is. Some report they got it without defeating an active defenders, while others claim they didn't get it with defeating an active defender.

Ludens

Banned
Uh... no they don't.

Go in with the standard fatigue (the default outfit you start the game with), C4 Lv. 5, Brennan Anti-Material Rifle Lv. 5

C4 a machine gun emplacement and the anti-air emplacement with one C4.

Layout C4 in an X shape QUICKLY.

Skulls appear. 2 of them on C4? GREAT! Detonate to insta-kill them.

Proceeed to dodge the stupid powerful insta-kill explode-y ground-stalagmite attack while Brennaning the last two in the face.

14000 Event Points in one go if you do it fast enough.

All 3 platforms done? You should have the event items this time.

How can you C4 skulls if not by luck? They randomly spawn in and there. I have no problem killing them in 5 or 6 minutes, the only dangerous thing is explosive sharp, but tit's annoying because way too often I don't see them around even if I marked them, so waste time going around until they decide to attack me.

How can you C4 skulls if not by luck? They randomly spawn in and there. I have no problem killing them in 5 or 6 minutes, the only dangerous thing is explosive sharp, but tit's annoying because way too often I don't see them around even if I marked them, so waste time going around until they decide to attack me.

Here's a video on how to cheese it.

Ludens

Banned
Here's a video on how to cheese it.

But I did it (just unlocked remaining stuff), I think it's just boring doing those missions X times in order to unlock a bunch of stuff, Konami should find a way to unlock at least all items (colors, skins, emblems) in a single run.
EDIT: Oh, there's a proper video. But I like figuring out by myself, anyway, don't like to play with guide (if not for jrpgs).

But I did it (just unlocked remaining stuff), I think it's just boring doing those missions X times in order to unlock a bunch of stuff, Konami should find a way to unlock at least all items (colors, skins, emblems) in a single run.
EDIT: Oh, there's a proper video. But I like figuring out by myself, anyway, don't like to play with guide (if not for jrpgs).

Eh. Seems 2-3 runs should get you all the camo/emblem/skins. Really not that bad in my opinion. And the events are great for those like me who want to farm resources and S+(+) troops without having to invade other players. Killing skull is more fun than sneaking into the same NPC FOB that I've been doing for months now.

Ludens

Banned
Eh. Seems 2-3 runs should get you all the camo/emblem/skins. Really not that bad in my opinion. And the events are great for those like me who want to farm resources and S+(+) troops without having to invade other players. Killing skull is more fun than sneaking into the same NPC FOB that I've been doing for months now.

About S++ trops, why I'm getting only poopy soldiers out of those Skulls missions?
Really, I got C, B, maybe an A?
Of course I completed the game on 100% months ago, so my level is high enough (I think my heroism is around 4 milion or something like that).
Not that I care (I won' ever buy another FOB so I doubt I can unlock requirements for new weapons with a single one if not by taking years, lol), but I'm curious on why I got poopy soldiers :S

About S++ trops, why I'm getting only poopy soldiers out of those Skulls missions?
Really, I got C, B, maybe an A?
Of course I completed the game on 100% months ago, so my level is high enough (I think my heroism is around 4 milion or something like that).

I don't know. I've never gotten S+(+) from the FOB infiltration itself. I used the points from the last event to buy as many as it allowed me.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

They'll spawn near the C4 if you place it near a lot of cover. Given you're on the F.O.B. platforms, this should be pretty obvious areas (long sightline hallways, areas near the random shipping containers you can fulton). Two of them WILL land on the C4 if you place it in an X pattern.

Why the hell is it going to take the little small weapons smoke grenade launcher to develop in three in game days?! It's only level 3 and I'm sure as hell not leaving my console on 72 hours straight.

Getting back into this game after having finally "finished" fallout 4, and man is this game filled with some kojima ass nonsense, perhaps more than usual. I'm a few missions into chapter 2 and these tapes are spitting mad nonsense on this vocal parasite business.

Antinash

Well...I just finished the story 5 minutes ago. I managed to avoid all spoilers on GAF and everywhere else, but I couldn't help seeing people mention
Chapter 3
in one of the Sony-Kojima threads before I noped out of it, but I came to conclusion that it must be the highlight of the game since people kept mentioning it, so after
reaching Chapter 2
, I was looking forward to it.
Boy am I disappointed.

KOMANI

KOMANI
Why the hell is it going to take the little small weapons smoke grenade launcher to develop in three in game days?! It's only level 3 and I'm sure as hell not leaving my console on 72 hours straight.
Are you sure it's In Game time?
Giancarlo, are you in NY?

J.EM1

Are you talking about the Zorn launcher? I just started development on that and was like WTF when I saw the time. lol unreal.

Top Bottom