• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metallica (1991) "the Black Album" turns 25 this Month - #1 seller of Soundscan era

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Say your prayers little one

As August is either upon you or soon to dawn, it's time to salute the best-selling metal album of all-time. It shows a Metallica in transition between the fantastic ...And Justice For All and the more mixed Load and ReLoad albums. It has James' voice at his best, combined with enough aggression to stay somewhat faithful to the first four albums. You either love it or hate it, and millions loved this beast. James is at his best, while Lars and Kirk aren't far past. It captures a special moment in time and in music time when the world was shifting between glam and grunge, giving Metallica an opening, and boy did they deliver.

Metallica_-_Metallica_cover.jpg

Over 16 million sold and counting

Sad But True fact earlier this year for Megadeth fans

Track listing (via Wikipedia):

1. "Enter Sandman" James Hetfield, Lars Ulrich, Kirk Hammett 5:29
2. "Sad but True" 5:24
3. "Holier Than Thou" 3:47
4. "The Unforgiven" Hetfield, Ulrich, Hammett 6:26
5. "Wherever I May Roam" 6:42
6. "Don't Tread on Me" 3:59
7. "Through the Never" Hetfield, Ulrich, Hammett 4:01
8. "Nothing Else Matters" 6:29
9. "Of Wolf and Man" Hetfield, Ulrich, Hammett 4:16
10. "The God That Failed" 5:05
11. "My Friend of Misery" Hetfield, Ulrich, Jason Newsted 6:47
12. "The Struggle Within" 3:51
Total length:
62:31

Though I prefer AJFA and the first four in general more, I also love the black album.

1991 was Metallica's last peak year live in my opinion, so I'll include some live performances from their landmark 5th album.

The first two are from the amazing show at Tushino Airfield, Moscow, U.S.S.R. 1991

Metallica - Enter Sandman Live Moscow 1991

tumblr_nqbp2vQtVa1tm5czbo1_400.gif

MetallicA - Sad But True (live in Moscow 1991) AUDIO UPGRADE

Metallica - The Unforgiven 1991.11.15 [Master] (Toronto, ON, Canada)

1991.12.07 Metallica @ Rosemont Horizon - Of Wolf And Man

Where were you when you first heard the album?

I'm your dream
Make you real
I'm your eyes when you must steal
I'm your pain when you can't feel
Sad But True

Pancake Mix

...it's "Say your prayers little one."

Damnit, you're right. In preparation for this thread I rewatched the Moscow concert, and to be fair it really does almost sound like he says "it's the one" here at 1:55

Corrected though, thank you. I should have checked, but usually I'm pretty good with lyrics.

Although id say KEA and MoP are their best work overall. I think Black album is great and I'd definitely agree James is at his best on Black album. Hopefully in honor of that we'll get more info on their next album during August.

Not ashamed to admit it was this album that got me into Metallica. See nick :p

Still one of my favorite albums of all time.

Yeah, it was more mainstream but as a kid I needed that before I learned to appreciate the earlier ones :)

Toparaman

Banned
A few excellent tracks, but too much filler. Big step down from the no-filler albums of the '80s (Escape on RTL aside).

Also kinda corny lyrically. Metallica were getting full of themselves. Beginning of the end for the band, imo. They lost the hardcore punk influence and became cornball forever.

Wish Metallica would officially release the 1985 Day on the Green concert already. Apparently MTV has the full thing somewhere, and I'm sure Metallica could afford to buy it from them.

I will say that Black Album is one of the best sounding albums ever, just in terms of pure sound quality and clarity of instruments.

Pancake Mix

Not ashamed to admit it was this album that got me into Metallica. See nick :p

Still one of my favorite albums of all time.

Yeah, it was more mainstream but as a kid I needed that before I learned to appreciate the earlier ones :)

Absolutely no shame in that at all. Bands like Metallica, Judas Priest, and Iron Maiden introduced millions to metal music. They are the perfect introduction to metal as they all helped define it or change its ultimate destination.

A few excellent tracks, but too much filler. Big step down from the no-filler albums of the '80s (Escape on RTL aside).

Also kinda corny lyrically. Metallica were getting full of themselves. Beginning of the end for the band, imo. They lost the hardcore punk influence and became cornball forever.

Wish Metallica would officially release the 1985 Day on the Green concert already. Apparently MTV has the full thing somewhere, and I'm sure Metallica could afford to buy it from them.

I will say that Black Album is one of the best sounding albums ever, just in terms of pure sound quality and clarity of instruments.

Well, the record company made them produce the thrash pop piece known as Escape. I kind of like it, but maybe I'm just crazy.

Even as I say that "The Black Album" is fantastic, I agree that it's after the end of Metallica at their best (...And Justice For All and the subsequent tour is the peak for them in my opinion), but I still think that it's close to that peak (for the last time) and an incredibly well-done album. The only song I didn't like on it was Nothing Else Matters. I actually can't agree on the lyrics, I mean, look at Of Wolf And Man:

Off through the new day's mist I run
Out from the new day's mist I have come
I hunt
Therefore I am
Harvest the land
Taking of the fallen lamb

That's still fantastic stuff in my opinion, and the delivery sells it.

Matty77

Last album of theirs I listened too. The songs I liked were really good but it had some trash too.

It's nott all on them either, they released that right as I was branching into other forms of music and I never really went back to that brand of thrash.

Baybars

Banned
One of the greatest albums of all time. Made someone who grew up on a diet of hip hop and rap living in africa completely fall in love with heavy metal. America, you guys screw up from time to time but damn you produce some really good music at times

The Black Album is almost as bad as St. Anger. Which is saying a lot.
Blasphemy.
St.Anger sounds like it was recorded in a trashcan. Black album has top notch production and as a whole Is just much better than St.Anger. I don't even hate St.Anger and I think it has salvageable material but what was put on CD was a dumpster fire and I don't know of many things that are that bad.
Brokencyde is probably the worst thing I've ever heard though

Bumhead

Banned
I know a lot of metal dudes aren't too struck on this album, but I think it's fucking great. Think I still prefer Ride the Lightning, Justice and Master of Puppets, but I'm a big fan of The Black Album.

The Black Album is almost as bad as St. Anger. Which is saying a lot.

Oh come on..

Manu

I've said it before, but Metallica is the Resident Evil of bands. They moved away from their original sound 25 years ago, and you still have people coming into every single thread to remind you they turned into shit.

I mean, it's been 25 years. You gotta let go at some point.

Also, Load is fucking great.

redlegs87

I like the little jab thrown at Megadeth in the OP. While I do enjoy Megadeth more so than Metallica I do respect and understand the importance of Metallica for metal.

sgjackson

I know a lot of metal dudes aren't too struck on this album, but I think it's fucking great. Think I still prefer Ride the Lightning, Justice and Master of Puppets, but I'm a big fan of The Black Album.

half of it is kinda boring and
(disingenuous comparison incoming)
I think pantera did a way better job of toeing the line between accessible groove and thrash as far as that direction of metal goes

Zimbardo

'Sad But True' ...one of the heaviest, ball dragging riffs i ever heard.

https://youtu.be/A8MO7fkZc5o

i bought that cassette (yes cassette at the time) on day 1 ...and when i heard 'Enter Sandman', i was let down with the obvious turn to a more mainstream sound ...but overall, i did enjoy that album.

would give it a four out of five.

Oh come on..

Hyberbole by a Neogaf member? I'm shocked.

Such a great album. It and Puppets are tied as my favorite two albums, I think. Depends what kind of mood I'm in. Enter Sandman, Sad But True, Unforgiven, Through the Never... album is just packed with classics for me. Also just a fantastic sounding album. Fuck the haters, Bob Rock is a master.

Accoun

I know my opinion is pretty controversial, but this is my least favorite Metallica album
Yes, that includes both St. Anger and Lulu
. And I actually like Load/Reload quite a bit. Black Album is kind of "we want to go in that direction, but we don't really know how yet".

(it sounds great and Sad But True is a great song, though)

I know my opinion is pretty controversial, but this is my least favorite Metallica album
Yes, that includes both St. Anger and Lulu
. And I actually like Load/Reload quite a bit. Black Album is kind of "we want to go in that direction, but we don't really know how yet".

(it sounds great and Sad But True is a great song, though)
Thanks for reminding me lulu exists.
Gotta go wash my ears and soul out again.

Mimosa97

Holy fucking shit at that crowd during the Moscow concert. How many people died ?

Btw what's the biggest crowd ever ? Simon and Garfunkel concert in Central Park ?

I've said it before, but Metallica is the Resident Evil of bands. They moved away from their original sound 25 years ago, and you still have people coming into every single thread to remind you they turned into shit.

I mean, it's been 25 years. You gotta let go at some point.

Also, Load is fucking great.
Some people don't seem to handle change very well. They want their bands to be exactly the same from beginning to end.

And yeah. Load is amazing. Poor Twisted Me and Mama Said are two of my favorite underappreciated songs of Metallica.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom