• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metaphor Re:Fantazio | Review Thread

What scores do you think Metaphor: ReFantazio will get?

• 55-60%

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • 61-64%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 65-69%

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • 70-74%

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • 75-79%

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • 80-84%

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • 85-89%

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • 90-94%

Votes: 48 29.8%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 9 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Who's doing the OT for this one?

Joe Biden Reaction GIF by The Democrats

Last edited:

Little Mac

Gold Member
I said as much in the demo thread. It's more than just fantasy Persona. Goty incoming.

From the Dualshocker's review ...

Closing Comments:

Metaphor: ReFantazio is a masterfully crafted JRPG that seamlessly takes all that was excellent about the Persona series and weaves a fantasy tale like no other. It's a tale with layers and levels that is wonderfully paced, offering a wealth of familiar mechanics and systems. But crucially, Metaphor is more than just Fantasy Persona, as it carves out a unique identity for itself with a fully realized world, interesting characters, and fun new additions that tweak and galvanize the tried and tested ATLUS formula. Metaphor: ReFantazio is a Magla-fuelled medieval fantasy masterpiece bursting with style, flair, and charm, and it's a nailed-on contender for Game of the Year. Watch this space.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
The comments saying it is more than just fantasy Persona are so ridiculous. Everyone knows it is a different game, a new IP, and it's not literally Persona. That's not what anyone with a brain is claiming. When people point that out, they're pointing out that this is 100% a new IP built as an asset swap of Persona 5, and 3R. I don't get the point in denying reality just because you like something. It's got the same time passing mechanic during the traveling, nearly the same battle system, nearly the same social links, nearly the same graphics and art style, nearly the same dialogue and UI style with a different art style instead. This is the kind of crap I hate in Atlus reviews because it's literally just a lie, and anyone who played the demo knows it.

Even just this closing comments blurb above is saying it takes what is excellent about Persona but has a good story. Then it says it has good pacing, but familiar mechanics and systems. Then it says it tweaks the existing tried and tested ATLUS formula, but has interesting characters and lore. Yeah, exactly. It's fantasy Persona, but has good characters, story and lore - which is literally exactly what I said after playing the demo and enjoying it. Same typical bullshit Atlus fanboy reviews. I doubt anyone is going to make a huge deal about the numerous loading screens either, low production values and asset quality for a $70 game, lack of live instruments in the OST recording. And I really want to know how the expert pacing actually is since it's supposedly a 100+ hour game. If they improved in that area, that would be great, but it's impossible to tell if any of that is accurate when they lie about other things.

Little Mac

Gold Member
IGN Review

9/10

Verdict

There’s a certain familiarity in Metaphor: ReFantazio, but Atlus takes the principles of its already excellent RPGs and refines them in a way that effortlessly ushers you through its brutal, and sometimes beautiful, new fantasy world. The Archetype system and all the new wrinkles it added to the turn-based battles build upon a strong foundation, and the social elements are streamlined to better deliver the most important aspects of the stories they tell. The sense of adventure you get from traveling across the kingdom and the powerful sense of purpose you have to do so drive its memorable journey, distinguishing itself from those that came before it. When I finally closed the book on Metaphor after 80 hours, I felt a unique warmth in its message, because it’s driven by the ideals of a just society smartly contextualized in a unique metanarrative. Metaphor: ReFantazio is poetic, and at times, idealistic, but it also understands its complexities and that change requires action, and that even far-fetched fantasy stories can serve as inspiration to make our world a better place.

Little Mac

Gold Member
From Noisy Pixel's review ...

In just about every way, Metaphor: ReFantazio checks all the boxes for a masterful fantasy epic. Between the addictive gameplay design, endlessly strategic combat, and gripping narrative propelled by a compelling cast, this is undeniably guaranteed to be Atlus’s next big hit. In a year already jam-packed with notable releases, Metaphor: ReFantazio still manages to stand out as a must-play.

The comments saying it is more than just fantasy Persona are so ridiculous. Everyone knows it is a different game, a new IP, and it's not literally Persona. That's not what anyone with a brain is claiming. When people point that out, they're pointing out that this is 100% a new IP built as an asset swap of Persona 5, and 3R. I don't get the point in denying reality just because you like something. It's got the same time passing mechanic during the traveling, nearly the same battle system, nearly the same social links, nearly the same graphics and art style, nearly the same dialogue and UI style with a different art style instead. This is the kind of crap I hate in Atlus reviews because it's literally just a lie, and anyone who played the demo knows it.

Even just this closing comments blurb above is saying it takes what is excellent about Persona but has a good story. Then it says it has good pacing, but familiar mechanics and systems. Then it says it tweaks the existing tried and tested ATLUS formula, but has interesting characters and lore. Yeah, exactly. It's fantasy Persona, but has good characters, story and lore - which is literally exactly what I said after playing the demo and enjoying it. Same typical bullshit Atlus fanboy reviews. I doubt anyone is going to make a huge deal about the numerous loading screens either, low production values and asset quality for a $70 game, lack of live instruments in the OST recording. And I really want to know how the expert pacing actually is since it's supposedly a 100+ hour game. If they improved in that area, that would be great, but it's impossible to tell if any of that is accurate when they lie about other things.
I'm surprised with how the game looks that it isn't coming to Switch on release. The constant loading transitions are insane. Even with all that it has framerate issues on PS5, so weird. What I've seen of the battle system it's like almost exactly the same as Persona down to the elemental affinities. Absolutely surprised that they are selling this for $70. It all feels so low budget, the animations are trash, the environments are bland, the music is lame and these characters look like shit. I thought that maybe playing the demo would make the game look better to me but so far, it's actually worse than what I've seen from the previews. I've been very critical of this game for awhile now as well as SMTV. Makes me worry about Persona 6. Starting to think modern Atlus just kinda sucks.

GHG

Fuck sake i really dont have time for a 100+ game right now. Guess ill play for a few hours then into the ever growing backlog it will go!

I'm just going to be honest with myself here and wait for a lull in new releases before picking this up.

I still need to finish wukong and astrobot, silent hill 2 has been amazing and I'm binging satisfactory in the background. Plus I already said romancing saga 2 will be my jrpg pickup later this month.

Me to metaphor right now:

Stressed Out Netflix GIF

Last edited:

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
I'm surprised with how the game looks that it isn't coming to Switch on release. The constant loading transitions are insane. Even with all that it has framerate issues on PS5, so weird. What I've seen of the battle system it's like almost exactly the same as Persona down to the elemental affinities. Absolutely surprised that they are selling this for $70. It all feels so low budget, the animations are trash, the environments are bland, the music is lame and these characters look like shit. I thought that maybe playing the demo would make the game look better to me but so far, it's actually worse than what I've seen from the previews. I've been very critical of this game for awhile now as well as SMTV. Makes me worry about Persona 6. Starting to think modern Atlus just kinda sucks.

Also worried about P6.

I gave the demo a C+ and I think I was being generous. Maybe the games' story gets MUCH better as it goes and the gameplay mechanics becoming more engaging, but after 5 hours, I wasn't sold. That's a problem.

Top Bottom