• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

I still can't believe we're getting a new Metroid game soon. I just wish it was another Sunday launch like NSMB and SMG2. I hate waiting for games the day after they ship.

Anyways, thread officially tabbed for the Friday reviews.

Diffense

Yeah, I'm definitely going to soak this one up.
For all we know, it could be another 6-8 years before we get another Sakamoto produced Metroid.
Other M is the first one on a home console in 16 years so playing it is a no-brainer.

However, I'm not reading any reviews so hopefully I can figure out the right time to drop out of this thread.
Firstly, I don't want any spoilers and secondly I want to form my own opinions free of any jaded reviewer's poison pen.

"They are things", hun?

I'd guess Samus is in love with the Baby Metroid's baby and Remeber Me yelled: "they are things!"

dxlr9h.jpg

SYNTAX182

Man, it's almost here! Cannot wait. Prime 1 is a classic and sequels are good, but the gameplay was too slow and cumbersome for my tastes. Was so hyped when I saw how fast the game looked I was like hell yeah this is the kind of Metroid I like.

Koodo

Banned
I don't know whether the ambiguity of the old man picture two pages ago was resolved or not, but I'll clear it up just in case.

The picture means HNNNNG. For example, I just came back from seeing Scott Pilgrim and every time there was a shot of Chris Evans and Brandon Routh I said HNNNNNNNNG (and also UNFFFF).

So, basically, the picture is a good thing (or should be a good thing if it was appropriately used).

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
The picture means HNNNNG. For example, I just came back from seeing Scott Pilgrim and every time there was a shot of Chris Evans and Brandon Routh I said HNNNNNNNNG (and also UNFFFF).

Yeah.

Thanks for the clearing that up.

Kard8p3

Koodo said:
I don't know whether the ambiguity of the old man picture two pages ago was resolved or not, but I'll clear it up just in case.

So, basically, the picture is a good thing (or should be a good thing if it was appropriately used).

Yeah he later said it was a good thing then went on to talk about how Fusion fans would love what he just went through.

Koodo

Banned
Kard8p3 said:
Yeah he later said it was a good thing then went on to talk about how Fusion fans would love what he just went through.
WAT.

SHAKING AND CRYING.

I loved Fusion and every moment it gave me. This game is sounding magical. :')

AniHawk

Kard8p3 said:

I bet it's the part where Adam dies and/or is stored into a computer.

PounchEnvy said:
Jeez. Either you went too fast or Tathanen is enjoying the game too much.

I was asking why he hasn't finished it yet (as in earlier than now) if he had it early. Maybe he got it later than other reviewers, so was curious.

Kard8p3

TSA said:
I was asking why he hasn't finished it yet (as in earlier than now) if he had it early. Maybe he got it later than other reviewers, so was curious.

I'm guessing he got it yesterday since that's when he started playing it.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
TSA said:

He's just tantalizing us now.

I wish I could get hit by a car and be in a coma for the next 6 days so I could just wake up and have Other M ready to play.

By the way, what does Other M even mean?

Koodo

Banned
I hope there's a stranger bitch hunting you down like SA-X in Fusion. Shit was nerve-wracking.

Maybe El Pollo Loco.

Kevtones

I haven't more curious about a game in awhile. Metroid Prime is near/dear but this game screams ambition and looks to be a total departure. I love it already.

MrMister said:
You have the best Samus avatar ever. (The color changing one)
Thanks! It's by a stencil artist called PaperMonster. I just added a hue loop to it

work.1995314.3.flat,800x800,070,f.jpg

I pretty much LOVE the design of Samus. The power/varia suit is such a cool looking sci-fi armor, especially the helmet. And yet from this very robotic cold armor we get a glimse of human from the hidden face behind the visor. I just love this contrast.

CoolS

[Nintex] said:
But Ridley was shown in the first trailer of the game at E3 2009.

As was the
girl
but we haven't seen either of them since then. I'm so pumped for this :D Trying to finish both Super Metroid and Fusuion for the first time before this arrives.

Sipowicz

Banned
does anyone know when the reviews for this start hitting?

from the sounds of it gameinformer gave it a pretty bad review, but i want to see what the decent magazines and sites think.

robor

I Push Fat Kids said:
I haven't more curious about a game in awhile. Metroid Prime is near/dear but this game screams ambition and looks to be a total departure. I love it already.

Yea, I must say, this game really grabbed me from the get go. From the ridiculous announcement at E3 2009 (seriously, who saw THAT coming??) til now. All the controversy it has caused and the amount of heavy skepticism it has evoked, it truly illustrates how much the Metroid franchise strives for so much more than it being recognized as another "sequel". It's so much more than that.

miksar

Sipowicz said:
does anyone know when the reviews for this start hitting?

from the sounds of it gameinformer gave it a pretty bad review, but i want to see what the decent magazines and sites think.
The embargo lifts Friday.

SpokkX

robor said:
Yea, I must say, this game really grabbed me from the get go. From the ridiculous announcement at E3 2009 (seriously, who saw THAT coming??) til now. All the controversy it has caused and the amount of heavy skepticism it has evoked, it truly illustrates how much the Metroid franchise strives for so much more than it being recognized as another "sequel". It's so much more than that.

So true, this is not just another sequel. That alone makes this game worthwhile imo

I much prefer an experiment to just another new verson of the previous game (hello CoD etc)

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I was just going to wait a week until I was back in Minneapolis and grab a copy from a GameStop up there a week or two late, but I'm too excited now. I just have to hope my local Target or Best Buy gets a few copies day 1.

neo2046 said:
Fuck that ad, you can even see how
Ridley dies, or at least gets the final blow

Metroid Killer said:
Thanks! It's by a stencil artist called PaperMonster. I just added a hue loop to it

work.1995314.3.flat,800x800,070,f.jpg

I pretty much LOVE the design of Samus. The power/varia suit is such a cool looking sci-fi armor, especially the helmet. And yet from this very robotic cold armor we get a glimse of human from the hidden face behind the visor. I just love this contrast.

Love that he used the Zero Mission artwork.

daakusedo

I don't know if bosses have cgi for their intro, but in a recent trailer at his end, we can see a big monster with a lot of purple eyes, I first thought of the omega metroid and after the animal mutated form of the SA-X.
But for sure he does have an importance.

IceMarker

darkjedi187 said:
Never met a Metroid I didn't like. Definitively day 1 for me.
Hell I consider Hunters, Metroid NES, and Metroid II to be the low points of the series and those are still damn great games! :lol

farnham

Banned
Famitsu gave this a 35 (Platinum) which is really great. Looks like japanese people like this style more then the Prime style

hiro4

MrMister said:
Hell I consider Hunters, Metroid NES, and Metroid II to be the low points of the series and those are still damn great games! :lol

What Metroid II a low point?!
I consider it one of the best Metroids I've ever played.
It was also my first one, but even then.

daakusedo

The sheer variety of moves available to Samus in Other M received adulation from nearly every one of Famitsu's reviewers. "The Sense Move lets you move quickly and easily dodge attacks, which make the controls feel really good," one said. "You occasionally lose track of where you're going next, but that in itself is very Metroid-like. Switching to first-person by holding the remote vertically also works surprisingly well." "There's a wide variety of moves available, but Sense Move is by far the best," another added. "It allows even casual gamers to enjoy the battles well enough."

"It's impressive how many moves are at your disposal, especially considering the lack of buttons," a third editor wrote. "Switching to first-person instantly takes some getting used to, but you can use it in both exploration and combat and it gives the game a very fun Metroid-like vibe."

The writers also had praise for Other M's exploring and fighting aspects. "Every map has tons of stuff to interact with, and some of the puzzles can be hard to solve," one said, "but the feeling you get when working them out is something else. The bosses work the same way; they all require some sort of trick to defeat."

The chief complaints the reviewers had with the new Metroid all had to do with the difficulty. "The game's tough, making you wish for a difficulty selector at times," one writer said, "but the high-tempo action and dramatic story are enough to keep you enthralled." Another brought up "the way minion-level enemies respawn" as "debatably annoying."

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Any good places to pre-order? 10 off or anything ? :D

Hunters isn't really connected to the mainline Metroids. It's a gaiden of a gaiden. It's a great product.

kiryogi

Banned
Shikamaru Ninja said:
Any good places to pre-order? 10 off or anything ? :D

Hunters isn't really connected to the mainline Metroids. It's a gaiden of a gaiden. It's a great product.

Amazon has a deal where you get 20 bucks off your next VG purchase. However, if you want that art portfolio. That's only with Gamestop I think.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
kiryogi said:
Amazon has a deal where you get 20 bucks off your next VG purchase. However, if you want that art portfolio. That's only with Gamestop I think.

I just checked amazon. Didn't see that. Link please!

Top Bottom