• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

Penguin

Shikamaru Ninja said:
I just checked amazon. Didn't see that. Link please!
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002BSC4ZS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Get a $20 Video Games Credit
Pre-order Metroid: Other M and get $20 off a future video game purchase. The promotional code will be placed directly into your Amazon.com account within 2 business days after the product ships. Offer valid when shipped and sold by Amazon.com. Promotion valid on all existing orders. Limit one per household. Amazon reserves the right to change or terminate this promotion at any time.

robor

After watching those Gamespot gameplay videos. I realized the player has no idea how to play the game. The guy is trying to spam Lethal Strike's and Overblasts at any given chance. There's absolutely no strategy to his/her playing, way to not get it at all.

*edit* What bothers me even more so is the fact that he/she is most likely reviewing the game.

[Nintex]

_Alkaline_ said:
So the chief complaint is instead something that's fantastic? The series needs to be more difficult. Zero Mission and the Prime games were easy as piss.

I'm aware of ZM's Hard Mode.
Boost Ball Guardian says hi

New Sakamoto Metroid semi-2.5D game. I can hardly believe it's almost here! Definitely a cause for celebration for most gamers.

mantidor

I'm noticing that the perfect game difficulty is the one from Zero Mission, as someone already said is easy for newcomers, but veterans can find challenge if they want to. The fact that it has sequence breaking put on purpose makes the game stands out, I don't like sequence breaking in any other metroid game because it simply feels like exploiting bugs more than really putting your abilities to test.

Most amazing/hard run is less than 15% items on hard, it also has the best Samus picture reward in practically the entire series.

With that said, the Metroid series as a whole is far from being "easy as piss", in any game.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
There is nothing difficult in this game.

Also: it is not difficult to play.

Also I beat it. :3=

The people reviewing and posting video for this game that are not me make me weep for the "press." Why oh why must it be so heavily composed of people who like making money writing about games more than actually playing games.

heringer

Tathanen said:

The people reviewing and posting video for this game that are not me make me weep for the "press." Why oh why must it be so heavily composed of people who like making money writing about games more than actually playing games.
Better than Fusion?

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
According to <this article>, Game Informer Australia give Other M an 8 :)

I removed the article since, despite being GI.com, it contains a scan of the GI Australia review.

Tathanen said:

Sing it, brutha. You hit it on the head. This is especially a case where we need enthusiasts talking about the game. Not talking head wanna-be "gaming press".

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
heringer said:
Better than Fusion?

I can not produce any opinions that acknowledge more than the first two hours! So who knows.

Though consider that in general, when you take a series that's really sort of dependent upon its 2D-plane-and-sprite-based nature to pull off some of its coolest things, like huge shinespark puzzles, there's no way you can really duplicate that in a more "real-world-environments" sort of 3D game.

So it seems like it might be difficult to compare a game like that to ANY 2D games. They try to do different things! In theory!

robor

Tathanen said:

Really? Did you not die once?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
robor said:
Really? Did you not die once?

Well okay there were deaths sure but maybe a disproportionate amount of them were from one or two instakill scenarios that I wasn't mentally prepared for. I've played my share of hand-wringing rage-inducing suicide-games, and Other M left me pleasantly calm throughout the vast majority of the experience.

Combat in general kind of feels conceptually similar to Sin & Punishment a little, actually, in that for a lot of it you won't have too much trouble as long as you're hitting the dodge button 100% of the time. Just keep on tappin' that d-pad and you'll dash all over the place without too much danger of actually getting hit.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Tathanen said:
Well okay there were deaths sure but maybe a disproportionate amount of them were from one or two instakill scenarios that I wasn't mentally prepared for. I've played my share of hand-wringing rage-inducing suicide-games, and Other M left me pleasantly calm throughout the vast majority of the experience.

Combat in general kind of feels conceptually similar to Sin & Punishment a little, actually, in that for a lot of it you won't have too much trouble as long as you're hitting the dodge button 100% of the time. Just keep on tappin' that d-pad and you'll dash all over the place without too much danger of actually getting hit.

Difficulty in a game is so much in the eye of the beholder. Almost everyone went on and on about how difficult Demons Souls was, yet I didn't have any problem whatsoever. Yet there are other games that gave me a harder time than other people.

commish said:
Difficulty in a game is so much in the eye of the beholder. Almost everyone went on and on about how difficult Demons Souls was, yet I didn't have any problem whatsoever. Yet there are other games that gave me a harder time than other people.

Okay, don't even start this. Demon's Souls is a very challenging game. Even those who do well in it can see that. All things being relative, any single gamer should be able to tell Demon's Souls is far more challenging than your average game release.

Just sayin'... :p

[Nintex] said:
Boost Ball Guardian says hi

Echoes got it right with the Boost Guardian and Spider Guardian, but everything else was too easy. There's a handful of bosses in Metroid during the last ten years that I would say were of the appropriate difficulty.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
JasoNsider said:
Okay, don't even start this. Demon's Souls is a very challenging game. Even those who do well in it can see that. All things being relative, any single gamer should be able to tell Demon's Souls is far more challenging than your average game release.

Just sayin'... :p

haha, yeah, compared to other games, DS was definitely more challenging. However, I'll always argue that the game required being extra cautious, which most gamers (myself included) normally aren't.

I'll tell you a hard game - ninja gaiden. Still haven't beaten it.

IceMarker

Fuck the Boost Ball guardian, I had so much trouble beating him when I was younger. I can't even remember the amount of times I died to him, it was either due to the dark side atmosphere or him hitting me multiple times. :lol

shahkur

madmanuk said:
I really want James Pierce/Becks as my Avatar. Can someone sort me out please?

Best i could do.:D

EGOyn.png

Oxx

I had no problem with the Boost Guardian.

I only managed to beat the Spider Guardian years later when I went back to it on the Wii.

_Alkaline_ said:
Echoes got it right with the Boost Guardian and Spider Guardian, but everything else was too easy. There's a handful of bosses in Metroid during the last ten years that I would say were of the appropriate difficulty.
I think that aside from Metroid 1 and 2, the series is actually fairly easy. Super Metroid was definitely piss easy, even easier than Fusion imo.

The Prime games on hard pack some decent challenge though. Echoes especially.

Magicpaint said:
I think that aside from Metroid 1 and 2, the series is actually fairly easy. Super Metroid was definitely piss easy, even easier than Fusion imo.

The Prime games on hard pack some decent challenge though. Echoes especially.

Super got it right with a few battles though. The Ridley fight was perfection, even if it wasn't as versatile as later Ridley fights.

Diffense

Tathanen said:

lol...they make it look so awkward by spamming missle mode and finishing moves.

The thing is, it seems that Other M is not 'critic friendly'.
Talking head critics like games that are easy to categorize and rank simply based on how well they do the genre they target.
Furthermore, they've played many games that play similarly so it's easy to blow through them and get a review up.

That's part of the reason why the first person Prime series scored so well (apart from being pretty good games).
Samus' latest outing is a bit weird and culty, like most metroid games, so I really don't expect the reviews to be glowing, in general.
I value the opinion of Metroid fans more with a game like this.

_Alkaline_ said:
Super got it right with a few battles though. The Ridley fight was perfection, even if it wasn't as versatile as later Ridley fights.
Was it really harder than Fusion/Zero Mission/Prime Ridleys though? They were all fairly challenging too (maybe Zero Mission's was a bit less so than the others)

But yeah, I think the same can be said of other Metroids. There's always one to three boss battles that have me retry, but on the whole, the overall experience is on the easy side.

I hardly die in Super Metroid anymore, but the first time playing wasn't exactly easy (where to go and some boss battles were tough... Ridley was a bitch the first time).

With the Prime games I've always considered their hard modes to be the superior intense experience. I still remember how awesome it felt when I played the original Prime on hard the very first time. Suddenly a Space Pirate or Chozo Ghost would be frightening and be a serious threat. So awesome :D

Tenbatsu

Tathanen said:
Just keep on tappin' that d-pad and you'll dash all over the place without too much danger of actually getting hit.
Dam, as I expected. Guess the timing is not as tight as Onimusha's Issen.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone else doing a media black-out?

I don't want to watch anymore footage, lol. The last thing I saw was the awesome commercial.

Also I can't wait to get the art folio, even though I fucking hate GameStop, I needed it lol.

Diffense said:
lol...they make it look so awkward by spamming missle mode and finishing moves.

The thing is, it seems that Other M is not 'critic friendly'.
Talking head critics like games that are easy to categorize and rank simply based on how well they do the genre they target.
Furthermore, they've played many games that play similarly so it's easy to blow through them and get a review up.

That's part of the reason why the first person Prime series scored so well (apart from being pretty good games).
Samus' latest outing is a bit weird and culty, like most metroid games, so I really don't expect the reviews to be glowing, in general.
I value the opinion of Metroid fans more with a game like this.
But the Prime games were not easy to categorise. Prime 1 at the time had very funky controls when dual analog was becoming a standard for first person games on console s (can't freely circle strafe, had to lock on, platforming in first person). And it was rare to have a game with a gun (cannon) in first person that relied on exploration and discovery instead of combat.

I think (most) people warmed up to the controls because they worked in the context of the experience provided; I hope it's the same with Other M (in fact, impressions here lead me to believe it will be the case).

Diffense

The original metroid was difficult but the other games dialed it back a bit.
It had the most cruel labyrinth of the bunch and Samus was the weakest at the beginning.

scitek

Haziqonfire said:

I don't want to watch anymore footage, lol. The last thing I saw was the awesome commercial.

Also I can't wait to get the art folio, even though I fucking hate GameStop, I needed it lol.

Up to the live-action commercial, I was literally on media blackout since E3 2009. I quite literally have not seen anything else of this game since the debut trailer and that commercial, I've only read snippets of the Iwata Asks, etc., and I was AT E3 this year! :lol I've avoided information on this game like a plague.

robor

Haziqonfire said:

I am from here on out. I'm just ready to play.

Haziqonfire said:

*raises hand* I blackout just about every game I know I will buy. If it isn't a fighter, my world will be a very dark place until release. I went on a 100 percent black out for Galaxy 2 :lol

robor

ChoklitReign said:
Who cares if the game isn't hard? What matters is that you have fun with it.

Well that and it's entirely up to the individual as to what's considered "hard". Plus, for the time being, we're still not certain if there'll be a game+ hard mode.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
scitek said:
Up to the live-action commercial, I was literally on media blackout since E3 2009. I quite literally have not seen anything else of this game since the debut trailer and that commercial, I've only read snippets of the Iwata Asks, etc., and I was AT E3 this year! :lol I've avoided information on this game like a plague.

Haha, damn I don't think I could've done that.

Diffense said:
The original metroid was difficult but the other games dialed it back a bit.
It had the most cruel labyrinth of the bunch and Samus was the weakest at the beginning.

Kraid and Mother Brain were terrific bosses in the original. Ridley was a pushover though. Like I've said previously, he didn't shine until Super Metroid.

Diffense

Magicpaint said:
But the Prime games were not easy to categorise. Prime 1 at the time had very funky controls when dual analog was becoming a standard for first person consoles (can't freely circle strafe, had to lock on, platforming in first person). And it was rare to have a game with a gun (cannon) in first person that relied on exploration and discovery instead of combat.

I think (most) people warmed up to the controls because they worked in the context of the experience provided; I hope it's the same with Other M (in fact, impressions here lead me to believe it will be the case).

They had some unique aspects but it was easy to consider them FPS.
But yes, the controls did turn some people off because it was not dual analog.

Metroid Other M is a really idiosyncratic game with 3rd person mode, 1st person mode, ranged attacks, melee attacks and NES style controls in 3D.
Games that set you to square one like that tend to run afoul of the more impatient reviewers.

Anyway, I won't find out what the 'press' thinks until after I finish it myself. :p

Top Bottom