• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

miksar

I know it's a Wii game, but since I don't see many people here praising graphics I just wanted to say how gorgeous the game looks. Really, it is the first game on Wii to challenge SMG in this department and I highly doubt there will ever be a better 'realistically' looking Wii game. It is practically an early X360 game in SD.

Haven't watched any footage since the commercial either. There's no reason to watch anymore, my hype is through the roof, there's nothing holding me back on buying the game, so I wont spoil anything.

IceMarker

_Alkaline_ said:
Kraid and Mother Brain were terrific bosses in the original. Ridley was a pushover though. Like I've said previously, he didn't shine until Super Metroid.
Neither did Kraid until Super Metroid. First time I saw him all growed up I almost shat my metaphorical pants. :lol

miksar said:
I know it's a Wii game, but since I don't see many people here praising graphics I just wanted to say how gorgeous the game looks. Really, it is the first game on Wii to challenge SMG in this department and I highly doubt there will ever be a better 'realistically' looking Wii game. It is practically an early X360 game in SD.

Really? Visually I would say Corruption is at least on par with Galaxy, if not above it.

Neither did Kraid until Super Metroid. First time I saw him all growed up I almost shat my metaphorical pants.

He looked like a joke in the original, but as a boss he had a pretty decent strategy and was pretty tough to boot. Ridley on the other hand looked like a joke and was easy as pie.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
evilromero said:
All I care about- are there metroids in the game?
Do you enjoy retcons in your games?

Because they'd have to recton Fusion in order to have Metroids in the game ):

Bizzyb

Banned
Haziqonfire said:
Anyone else doing a media black-out?

I don't want to watch anymore footage, lol. The last thing I saw was the awesome commercial.

Also I can't wait to get the art folio, even though I fucking hate GameStop, I needed it lol.

I am. I'm actually starting to replay The Prime Trilogy. Just beat Echoes yesterdayu. Now onto Corruption.

I chose the $20 deal with Amazon. I don't need an art book.

Diffense

evilromero said:
All I care about- are there metroids in the game?

I have a theory and I only spoiler it because I could be right...

The bottle ship is a secret federation outpost with a focus on biological weapons development.
Something went really wrong and now all the dangerous specimens are running free.

In Metroid Fusion, they still had some of the Baby Metroid's cells to make an X vaccine for Samus.
So it seems likely that a risky attempt to respawn the utlimate bio-weapon is part of the plot in Other M.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Bizzyb said:
I am. I'm actually starting to replay The Prime Trilogy. Just beat Echoes yesterdayu. Now onto Corruption.

I chose the $20 deal with Amazon. I don't need an art book.

We don't have that in Canada, lol.

I replayed all the Metroid games too, with the exception of Metroid II: Return of Samus, because I don't own it.

I'm almost done Corruption also, it's the last one I have to finish before Other M, I'm nearing the end :).

Diffense

Easy_D said:
Do you enjoy retcons in your games?

Because they'd have to recton Fusion in order to have Metroids in the game ):

Other M is before Fusion.
Metroid cells for the X vaccine were in Fusion...heck
metroids were in fusion

I never believe the games when they says "last metroid" lol
But it's fun to keep wondering whether they'd actually make a main metroid game without metroids.

miksar

_Alkaline_ said:
Really? Visually I would say Corruption is at least on par with Galaxy, if not above it.
Corruption looks great mostly because of amazing art direction and clever use of bloom (it's a shame it's all wasted). I'm sure there would be some room for improvement if Retro were making another Prime game. Other M, on the other side, really looks like it is pushing hardware to its limits, though I understand that mostly it is camera work that allows it.

Boney

Banned
Diffense said:
metroids were in fusion

But it's fun to keep wondering whether they'd actually make a main metroid game without metroids.
Yeah, but she was surprised as fuck to see more Metroids runnin around. I'm still scratching my head on Ridley being on this game.

Diffense said:
I have a theory and I only spoiler it because I could be right...

The bottle ship is a secret federation outpost with a focus on biological weapons development.
Something went really wrong and now all the dangerous specimens are running free.

In Metroid Fusion, they still had some of the Baby Metroid's cells to make an X vaccine for Samus.
So it seems likely that a risky attempt to respawn the utlimate bio-weapon is part of the plot in Other M.
That was kind of my thinking with the "Other M" title as well. Hope it turns out we get some really creepy moments.

Diffense

Boney said:
Yeah, but she was surprised as fuck to see more Metroids runnin around. I'm still scratching my head on Ridley being on this game.

Yeah, metroids are one thing but Ridley is just indestructible.

Still, the continued threat of Metroids is due to Samus not killing the baby at the end of Metroid II.
So it's all her fault really. This is the aspect of naivete and unprofessionalism that Sakamoto alluded to in one interview.

miksar said:
Corruption looks great mostly because of amazing art direction and clever use of bloom (it's a shame it's all wasted). I'm sure there would be some room for improvement if Retro were making another Prime game. Other M, on the other side, really looks like it is pushing hardware to its limits, though I understand that mostly it is camera work that allows it.
Corruption had really, really detailed textures for a Wii game and the poly count/level of geometry got a significant boost from the previous games too and it stayed at 60fps. It was definitely pushing the Wii and imo even more technically impressive than SMG.

scitek said:
Up to the live-action commercial, I was literally on media blackout since E3 2009. I quite literally have not seen anything else of this game since the debut trailer and that commercial, I've only read snippets of the Iwata Asks, etc., and I was AT E3 this year! :lol I've avoided information on this game like a plague.

You call that a media blackout? You watched the trailer, read Iwata Asks, and watched the commercial for the game that contains scenes from it?

How about not even knowing what Shadow of the Colossus LOOKED like until it was on my TV. Now that is a media blackout. I didn't even look at the back of the box. :lol

pulga

Banned
JasoNsider said:
You call that a media blackout? You watched the trailer, read Iwata Asks, and watched the commercial for the game that contains scenes from it?

How about not even knowing what Shadow of the Colossus LOOKED like until it was on my TV. Now that is a media blackout. I didn't even look at the back of the box. :lol

Calling BS on this o_O

pulga said:
Calling BS on this o_O

It happened. Believe me, I'm incredibly serious about my media blackouts when I really look forward to something. All I knew of the game is the title, the cover, and that it was from Ueda's team. That was a REALLY hard wait. Did the same for the Avatar movie (didn't even know what it was about or what it looked like) and doing it for Zelda: Skyward Sword.

Anyway, I haven't seen this game since the first trailer :)

Boney

Banned
slaughterking said:
Other M scored 73% in a popular German gaming mag (M!Games).
I really don't have a reason to doubt the review, but I always knew the game would be misunderstood by reviwers.

MNC

Metroids are definitely in! They are not allowed to not call the game Metroid if they're not!

(IIRC there's a metroid in every game, how genetically altered it might be :p)

Edit: Ho shit, this game takes place AFTER super. I forgot. So the last metroid in captivity is dead already. But Fusion had metroids as well! Ridley has oakspodoigjaosdgijsaodg METROID OTHER M I WANT TO PLAY YOU

Boney said:
I really don't have a reason to doubt the review, but I always knew the game would be misunderstood by reviwers.
Well, we don't even know what the review says and where the criticism comes from. You are free to doubt them!

heringer

Boney said:
The game will probably review worse than Hunters, which is crazy since I doubt it is worse than that.

Diffense

JasoNsider said:
It happened. Believe me, I'm incredibly serious about my media blackouts when I really look forward to something. All I knew of the game is the title, the cover, and that it was from Ueda's team. That was a REALLY hard wait. Did the same for the Avatar movie (didn't even know what it was about or what it looked like) and doing it for Zelda: Skyward Sword.

Anyway, I haven't seen this game since the first trailer :)

I'm really bad at this...I watch a ton of stuff.
I don't even try to do a blackout but somehow I never feel spoiled.
I do skip reviews though, for games I know I'm getting anyway.

BTW, on reviews, 7-8s seems about right for a game like this.
Most reviewers will take points off a game if they can't get into it it right away.

Sure, the controls seem simple enough but there are three different Samus modes with different capabilities.
You have to figure out the best way to exploit them and from from some videos I've watched.... *words escape*
But if you watch a metroid fan play any of the games you'll notice a certain instinct.

MoxManiac

Bumped up to release date delivery for $6. Figured it'd be worth it to have it in time for the nice long labor day weekend. I really need to splurge for Amazon Prime one of these days, I certainly order enough to justify it.

Diffense

MoxManiac said:
Bumped up to release date delivery for $6. Figured it'd be worth it to have it in time for the nice long labor day weekend. I really need to splurge for Amazon Prime one of these days, I certainly order enough to justify it.

I checked my order at Amazon and bumped it up too.
The shipping estimate was Sep 7!

MoxManiac said:

You a college student or have a .edu email address?

Diffense

Gravijah said:
what if it got exactly what it deserves?

Well they always get what they deserve in the eye of the particular reviewer.
Unless you know you generally agree with that reviewer, the score might not reflect your views.

For example, getting lost and not being 100% sure where to go is a part of metroid that fans like.
But that's definitely not everyone's cup of tea and it might lose points for that in some circles.
Especially since enemies apparently respawn and your health doesn't (lol)

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I'm pretty sure I won't read reviews for it, either.

I'm just going to pick it up on Tuesday, play it and enjoy it - read reviews after I come up with my own judgment of the game.

I did that with SMG2 and I'm thankful for it.

PounchEnvy said:
So I need some help getting the Ice Beam in Metroid (NES). How do I go through the wall to the other side?

In Norfair?

You can't go through that way.

Without spoiling it for you, exit out of the room and explore that vertical corridor some more.

Struct09

Has the Nintendo Power review been mentioned yet? They gave it an 8.5

EDIT: I see that it was indeed mentioned a few pages back

Mafro

MNC said:
Metroids are definitely in! They are not allowed to not call the game Metroid if they're not!

(IIRC there's a metroid in every game, how genetically altered it might be :p)

Edit: Ho shit, this game takes place AFTER super. I forgot. So the last metroid in captivity is dead already. But Fusion had metroids as well! Ridley has oakspodoigjaosdgijsaodg METROID OTHER M I WANT TO PLAY YOU
Metroid Prime Hunters didn't have any metroids in it, if memory serves me correctly.

Socreges

Banned
Boney said:
...misunderstood? Is it not possible that this game is just not as great as we hope? Seems like we might see a mixture of reviews, though people will always try to attribute that to 'those that get it' and 'those that don't'.

I just hope I love it. Not terribly confident yet, but we'll see.

Teknoman

Boney said:

Why? He was in some kinda cryojail in Fusion, until the X parasite absorbed/mimicked him...so it makes sense that he's still around after Super Metroid. The real head scratcher is how will he reappear in Metroid V.

ryan-ts

Socreges said:
...misunderstood? Is it not possible that this game is just not as great as we hope? Seems like we might see a mixture of reviews, though people will always try to attribute that to 'those that get it' and 'those that don't'.

I just hope I love it. Not terribly confident yet, but we'll see.

Impossible!

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
OK, I will unfortunately be on my way to LA for pre-PAX and then in Seattle for PAX and then won't be back home until a full week after the game releases. As much as I am looking forward to the nerd party that will be PAX, I am stricken with overwhelming sorrow that I will be missing my shipment of Other M on Tuesday.

BUT!

I made an avatar to show my solidarity. :D

Guevara

Struct09 said:
Has the Nintendo Power review been mentioned yet? They gave it an 8.5
85%
slaughterking said:
Other M scored 73% in a popular German gaming mag (M!Games).
73%
Famitsu via 1up said:
three 9's and one 8 for a total of 35 points.
87.5%
miladesn said:
...Game Informer ... AU 8/10 ...
80%
Best Buy @GAMER Magazine(LOL) via CVG said:
80%

Are these all the reviews so far? Is anyone compiling these?

Boney

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
Boney you're being dumb stop being dumb.
:*(

Said it in the other thread, but this is what I'm expecting review wise

5.0 Presentation
The intentionally poor story and dialog is so bad it sort of works. Sort of.
6.0 Graphics
Character models and animations are reasonably nice but the environments are extremely bland, both in geometrical and texture detail.
7.0 Sound
Terrible voice acting but the music is pretty great, making it one of the only redeeming things about the game.
2.5 Gameplay
The combat system is okay (at best), but player control, the camera, level design, enemy design and basically everything else flat-out sucks.
5.0 Lasting Appeal
The game is surprising lengthy for such a basic game, though it gets increbily boring and frustrating so you likely won't play for too long.
OVERALL

Bad
(out of 10)

But really, I've always said it'll be in the mid 80's with a glowing review here and there, but nothing to write home about.

Mafro

They are showing the live action TV ad un the UK as well, just seen it during the break in the Champions League game and almost had a heart attack :lol

Jezan

Diffense said:
metroids were in fusion

There are few Zelda games without Zelda , so I guess Metroidless Metroid wont be a problem here :p

I wanna play Other M already!!!

Instro

I kind of hope there arn't any Metroids in Other M,
I mean it would kind of kill the whole revelation in Fusion.

kiryogi

Banned
Jezan said:
There are few Zelda games without Zelda , so I guess Metroidless Metroid wont be a problem here :p

I wanna play Other M already!!!

Me too. The wait is seriously killing me. I'm watching this thread day and night. And can no one confirm what firmware is required to play Other M?

Boney

Banned
Teknoman said:
Why? He was in some kinda cryojail in Fusion, until the X parasite absorbed/mimicked him...so it makes sense that he's still around after Super Metroid. The real head scratcher is how will he reappear in Metroid V.
Well it was wierd for me seeing him in Fusion as well! Super as well for that matter!

But it should be the same as seeing Bowser in every Mario game though..

Mr. B Natural said:
I don't get what's so funny mister.

Top Bottom