• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

She was doing ok at the start of the story (except the stupid STUPID following orders on power regulations). But later on there are some cutscenes that really IRKED me.

The cutscene leading up to the Ridley fight was so stupid and out of character from all instances i've seen the character before. If it was her first time fighting him in the history of the franchise i'd be ok with it. But after so many encounters to then freeze up and let others die was pathetic.

beat the game. pointless review time! woo-hoo!

this first sentence may negate everything that follows it:
id say this is my favorite metroid game.
i played zero mission, super metroid, fusion and the prime trilogy and im pretty sure this one is the best, imo.

i really hope the next metroid game is just like this one but further refined.

Where's Waldo stuff: this wasnt that bad. if you paid attention to the cutscene or action that preceded it, you knew exactly where to look. although it did really slow things down if you werent paying attention.

Over-The-Shoulder View: odd. ill admit that much. it just didnt work as well as it should've with a d-pad. it wasn't a terrible concept, i guess. it was just not d-pad material and could've moved a tad quicker. haha. it can be eliminated in the sequel and nobody's gonna miss it. lets say that.

Controls: the controls were just perfect. the third to first person stuff was pretty seamless. auto-aim in a game like this is pretty necessary. how else would you be able to kill enemies in a 3-D space like this? all side-scrolling metroid games only had 5 directions to shoot in anyway.

Story: i thought the overall story was kinda cool actually.
there was a lot going on with the metroid & ridley cloning, space pirates, the new mother brain and the federation cover-up. it was all pretty interesting.

Adam / Samus Relationship: thumbs up/thumbs down stuff was ok at the beginning of the game, but
i gotta admit i chuckled a little when samus gave that final thumbs down to adam... it was a little cheesy. they kinda overdid that gag. haha. i thought the adam/samus (father/daughter) relationship was kinda nice though, tbh.

Ridley: That battle was epic. She froze for a bit. Shocked. I can get behind that... but when she broke out of that trance, she went absolutely RUINED that thing. haha. my appreciation for that battle stems from the speed of gameplay.

Linearity: i don't know why people want to be confused about where to go next. that doesnt make much sense to me. i like to know what my next goal is at all times. wasting time just running around in circles isnt fun to me.

i had mentioned it in a post before, but, prior to this game, i never got the impression that Samus was as badass as everyone said she was. in this game, shes quick-dodging, jumping on enemies to shoot charge shots into their heads. i mean, that was really cool.

robot

Anyone have any tips for the
first person battle against these 3 beetle guys at the end of the game, right after fighting the metroid dragon thing?
I mustve died 10 times so far, can you at least dodge?

n/m figured it out - that was seriously the dumbest thing I had to do in the entire game.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Argh, stuck already!

Biosphere
, after you slide down that slope and then enter into a corridor where there's a missile expansion in the ducts....how do you open the door!

I got stuck already....I'm ashamed T_T

heringer

gketter said:
She was doing ok at the start of the story (except the stupid STUPID following orders on power regulations). But later on there are some cutscenes that really IRKED me.

The cutscene leading up to the Ridley fight was so stupid and out of character from all instances i've seen the character before. If it was her first time fighting him in the history of the franchise i'd be ok with it. But after so many encounters to then freeze up and let others die was pathetic.
I think it was more of a "how the fuck are you still alive? Won't you ever die? Why do you keep haunting me?" type of a shock. But yeah, I do agree that chronologically is a bit out of place. Didn't think it was that big of a deal though.

Kard8p3

While the over the shoulder sections were mostly pointless there was one that I thought worked really well.
the one when you're going towards sector zero and it constantly switched to the perspective of the metroid was really well done. The camera angles along with the music made that a really great moment in the game.

heringer

robot said:
first person battle against these 3 beetle guys at the end of the game, right after fighting the metroid dragon thing?
You have lock on Melissa, forget the monsters.

braves01

Banned
robot said:

Just try to aim for MB straight ahead, it'll trigger a cutscene.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The_Technomancer said:
How do I get up to it though? Its like eight feet off the ground. Bomb-jumping seems impossible to set up, can it be done?
jump and grab the ledge as regular Samus. then press up and jump while on the ledge and you'll auto-ball. :)

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
PounchEnvy said:
That seems to conflict with recent statements where he says the next game for the series will take place after Fusion.
That's fine because there's a lot he can do with that, but the point I'm making is that he pigeon holed himself by taking the mystery away from the character. I think that's what he meant when he said he doesn't know what to do next.

Nessus said:
That said, I was shocked that the epilogue ending actually evoked a strong emotional response in me.
Just that quiet, dialogue-free moment of her hugging Adam's helmet was the single most impactful moment in the game.
Exactly my point. The best parts of the story for me was when Samus said nothing. The scene when she first sees the baby chick was a good example. They both gave each other a look. That look wouldn't be explained until later on in the game, but it was one of the most classic "Metroid" scenes in the game imo. The main problems I had with the voice acting were the internal monologs. They were terrible.

ULF_55.png

Boney

Banned
Kard8p3 said:
While the over the shoulder sections were mostly pointless there was one that I thought worked really well.
the one when you're going towards sector zero and it constantly switched to the perspective of the metroid was really well done. The camera angles along with the music made that a really great moment in the game.
Sometimes, they worked well for transition between regular gameplay and cutscene.

Wizpig said:
He's completely fucking crazy.

He thinks people will now be eager to see what happens next, but the truth is 90% of the fans LOST INTEREST in Samus Aran as a character.
so i am guessing you represent that 90%

heringer

Boney said:
Sometimes, they worked well for transition between regular gameplay and cutscene.
I dunno, I actually liked the over the shoulder parts. They looked cool and were a nice change of pace. Brief enough so it didn't become annoying.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
heringer said:
I think he's just saying he wants the game to do well because he likes it and want more of it. It's not a far fetched tought.

Yep, that's exactly what he's saying. The game was good for people who really enjoy Metroid but enjoy them for the games they are, not fanboys who create meaning for themselves through the games. I'm sure there are a lot of us out there, so yah, would like more of these types of experiences. Especially considering the Wii library, this fills a gap.

Doorman

Fimbulvetr said:
Anthony did do this kinda cool backflip once.
Y'know what, I'll take it.

So very curious to see what the next Metroid game turns out to be, and how the success/failure of this game in the market dictates changes. I get the gut feeling that we'd be looking at a sidescrolling 2-D sort of affair on the 3DS...but that would probably leave them open for either sort of story progression.

etiolate

Banned
MadOdorMachine said:
That's fine because there's a lot he can do with that, but the point I'm making is that he pigeon holed himself by taking the mystery away from the character. I think that's what he meant when he said he doesn't know what to do next.

Exactly my point. The best parts of the story for me was when Samus said nothing. The scene when she first sees the baby chick was a good example. They both gave each other a look. That look wouldn't be explained until later on in the game, but it was one of the most classic "Metroid" scenes in the game imo. The main problems I had with the voice acting were the internal monologs. They were terrible.

ULF_55.png

But if you look at people saying "Samus never had any character before", you realize you're dealing with an audience that has a vocal percentage of people that need to be told everything.

I am not saying it's an excuse, but maybe someone thought that people actually didn't understand the story of Super Metroid.

Penguin

Kard8p3 said:

That whole scene/build-up was well done. As was the reveal.

It seems like they wanted to include a lot of stuff near the end of the game, but had to introduce it earlier.

As I feel a lot of the slow walking/first person seeking stuff are much better near the end of the game.

KevinCow

Banned
I seriously can't believe that there are people saying they weren't completely disgusted with the cutscenes, or, even worse, liked them. Just... seriously? Where are your standards? Have you people ever watched anything besides bad anime in your lives?

thecouncil said:
Linearity: i don't know why people want to be confused about where to go next. that doesnt make much sense to me. i like to know what my next goal is at all times. wasting time just running around in circles isnt fun to me.

Because allowing the player to explore in a series that made its mark by giving the player a big world to explore is a bad thing.

There are ways to direct the player without locking off every other path you could take. The hint system in the Prime games and the Chozo statues in Zero Mission were perfect ways to balance the games for both people who want to actually be able to explore and people who cry about getting lost because they don't have a constant waypoint directing them to their next direction.

Poyunch

KevinCow said:
I seriously can't believe that there are people saying they weren't completely disgusted with the cutscenes, or, even worse, liked them. Just... seriously? Where are your standards? Have you people ever watched anything besides bad anime in your lives?
Well you'll just have to deal with it. I for the most part didn't care for the cutscenes but I'm not going to tell people that they shouldn't enjoy themselves.

heringer said:
I think he's just saying he wants the game to do well because he likes it and want more of it. It's not a far fetched tought.
Well I doubt Nintendo's not going to let them have another chance. That's the great thing about Metroid. It will never do the numbers of Mario or Pokemon (or even Zelda) so they don't necessarily have to stick to what "works". I welcome it. The Prime games lacked the speediness the 2D games offered.

I think im of the only ones that doesnt irk me the
Ridley cutscene, because as some people have say, I hink she snaps becuase she sees Ridley AGAIN after she thought he was dead forever, and she thinks this time, that even if she beats him, he will always return to haunt her. And so she snaps at the idea of him always being there haunting her past, and neither running or fighting will help her.

jaundicejuice said:
post-game holy fuck
, did I just fight Phantoon?

yep yep yep :D
Said the same thing when I saw him :lol

Teknoman

I like the voice acting in the normal cutscenes, but the inner monologues really arent necessary. The actions in the scenes themselves are awesome though.

Mafro

zigg said:
That would have been useful for me to know about a few days ago.

I ended up doing this with SA-X instead to compensate for my utter lack of energy tanks.
Wow thanks for this, I've been stuck on SA-X for around a year now :lol

Boney

Banned
heringer said:
I dunno, I actually liked the over the shoulder parts. They looked cool and were a nice change of pace. Brief enough so it didn't become annoying.
Except for the lab part, which was way too long, going up and down like an idiot.

The Technomancer

Okay, just saw the cutscene that that photo above is from, and I have to say, the actual cutscene direction is really good, I feel at least. Its just Samus' damn monologues.

heringer

PounchEnvy said:
Well you'll just have to deal with it. I for the most part didn't care for the cutscenes but I'm not going to tell people that they shouldn't enjoy themselves.
You didn't care for them, but didn't you feel disgusted? Because if you didn't, you're just wrong.

Kard8p3

KevinCow said:

Get over it.

KevinCow said:

You have to respect opinions, man.
Im sure you love a thing that other people dont like.

Teknoman

The_Technomancer said:
Okay, just saw the cutscene that that photo above is from, and I have to say, the actual cutscene direction is really good, I feel at least. Its just Samus' damn monologues.

Exactly.

The Technomancer

Okay, just saw the cutscene that that photo above is from, and I have to say, the actual cutscene direction is really good, I feel at least. That one in particular really creeped me out, the way it just....stares at you. Its just Samus' damn monologues that suck, arrghhhh!

EDIT: Whoops, double post

EDIT 2: Wait...is there a way to turn the Waypoints off? Please please?

KevinCow said:

The hint system ... perfect way to balance the games for both people who want to actually be able to explore and people who cry about getting lost because they don't have a constant waypoint directing them to their next direction.

haha... wow... just settle down a bit and have some respect for people who like a different experience than you... but, yeah, youre right. toggling a hint system was probably the way to go. i actually thought about that while playing and forgot when i was typing.

etiolate

Banned
robot said:
These end credits are soooo Team Ninja...I'm just waiting for Aerosmith to start playing.

Don't wanna close my eyes, I don't wanna fall asleep
'Cause I'd miss you Adam and I don't wanna miss a thing
'Cause even when I dream of you the sweetest dream would never do
I'd still miss you Adam and I don't want to miss a thing

Poyunch

SpacePirate Ridley said:
You have to respect opinions, man.
Im sure you love a thing that other people dont like.
Basically. I'm fine with people not liking the game. What I don't like is the generally pushiness the people that dislike the game seem to have.

Boney

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
I really find weird that the game is narrated like a book. It's completly unnecesary for the most part to hear her thoughts on the subject.

KevinCow said:
Haven't played the game yet myself... but can't your post be used for almost every videogames story?

Good stories in your games are the rarity. Most wouldn't get you a D in a creative writing class.

etiolate

Banned
Thunder Monkey said:
Haven't played the game yet myself... but can't your post be used for almost every videogames story?

Good stories in your games are the rarity. Most wouldn't get you a D in a creative writing class.

Yeah, but you still don't praise them just because the rest of the class sucked, too.

Kard8p3 said:

damn, you are right about that. that WAS really good. wasnt the camera really low at some points? it wasnt over-the-shoulder the whole time, right? i thought it was lower to the ground at some points so you could see the expanse of that enormous room.

Poyunch

Boney said:
I really find weird that the game is narrated like a book. It's completly unnecesary for the most part to hear her thoughts on the subject.
Yeah I thought it was going to end up with Samus giving a briefing or telling another character.

KevinCow said:
Get over what? That some people have literally no standards of quality?
Actually yes.

Top Bottom