• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

heringer

PounchEnvy said:
Well I doubt Nintendo's not going to let them have another chance. That's the great thing about Metroid. It will never do the numbers of Mario or Pokemon (or even Zelda) so they don't necessarily have to stick to what "works". I welcome it. The Prime games lacked the speediness the 2D games offered.
Well, I sure do hope so!

eznark

Banned
Played through the first boss. I'm enjoying the little that I have played but man, they could have spent a little bit of money to get a voice actor who was at least mediocre to play Samus.

Boney said:
I really find weird that the game is narrated like a book. It's completly unnecesary for the most part to hear her thoughts on the subject.

I think sakamoto was to accostumed with the use of monologues in Fusion so that maybe is a factor to be so many here.
He needs to understand that if you are trying to do a movie, you dont need those monologues to tell the story, becuase its all shown with the images.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
cooljeanius said:
The thing is, they weren't implying he was saying anything though. They were actually drawing attention to the fact that he was staying silent (Alyx: "You don't talk much, do you?"; Breen: "I can understand if you don't want to discuss this in front of your friends," etc.). If the other characters had acted like Gordon had actually been saying stuff (like the characters in most other games with silent protagonists do), I would have been okay with it, but when they expected him to respond, it just felt weird. Basically if your game is going to have a silent protagonist, make it clear that they're being a silent protagonist, don't just make them a protagonist that's being silent (if that makes sense).
This always came off to me as a little wink to the player. I thought it was charming more than anything else.

Koodo

Banned
KevinCow said:
I seriously can't believe that there are people saying they weren't completely disgusted with the cutscenes, or, even worse, liked them. Just... seriously? Where are your standards? Have you people ever watched anything besides bad anime in your lives?
Standards for a videogame? Honey, please, get a grasp of reality. They're terrible, yes, but unless this thread was called Portal 2 |OT|, it's silly to act surprised at the quality of the narrative.

Because allowing the player to explore in a series that made its mark by giving the player a big world to explore is a bad thing.

There are ways to direct the player without locking off every other path you could take. The hint system in the Prime games and the Chozo statues in Zero Mission were perfect ways to balance the games for both people who want to actually be able to explore and people who cry about getting lost because they don't have a constant waypoint directing them to their next direction.
Gee, a 25 year-old franchise trying to be different. Heresy.

The irony in all of this is that Other M will likely be a one-off entry in the franchise. The games that Nintendo outsources almost always are. You'll get your tired mechanics back eventually. I wouldn't complain either, because I like those tired mechanics as well, but dear lord I want new every once in a while.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
eznark said:
Played through the first boss. I'm enjoying the little that I have played but man, they could have spent a little bit of money to get a voice actor who was at least mediocre to play Samus.
Quiet, baby, I'm looking for the baby. I hear the soft hum of the baby and your baby is outbabying my baby.

Dear god. I just realized the ending credits theme is a variation of the original Metroid theme (which also plays when you land on Tallon IV in Prime). It takes a decent ear to notice, but it's definitely a remix.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
cooljeanius said:
The thing is, they weren't implying he was saying anything though. They were actually drawing attention to the fact that he was staying silent (Alyx: "You don't talk much, do you?"; Breen: "I can understand if you don't want to discuss this in front of your friends," etc.). If the other characters had acted like Gordon had actually been saying stuff (like the characters in most other games with silent protagonists do), I would have been okay with it, but when they expected him to respond, it just felt weird. Basically if your game is going to have a silent protagonist, make it clear that they're being a silent protagonist, don't just make them a protagonist that's being silent (if that makes sense).
This always came off to me as a little wink to the player. I thought it was charming more than anything else.

I guess I'm just not so much in it for specific definition of Gordon or a clearly sculpted reality. I've always been a fan of impressionism in most other mediums (dare I say, aye are tee ess), so this could be an extension of that, albeit in a SUPER subtle way.

quadrax1s

Neo Member
Man this thread is scaring me! I've always had my doubts about Team Ninja. I've played Ninja Gaiden on the XBOX and thought it was pretty decent, but I was just never able to see their style fitting into the Metroid universe. Metroid Prime is my favorite game ever and Metroid is my favorite series... I hope I won't be as disappointed as some of you when I finally get around to playing this game. Oh well, I think Metroid Prime 3 and Hunters already prepared me for a bit of disappointment when it comes to the direction of this series.

T_T

etiolate

Banned
Mafro said:
That some people have different standards.

Actually, in this case, it's no standards, since the original complaint is "this story is horrible" and the rebuttal is "its par for course for game stories" which is to say that game stories suck and you might as well be accepting of this.

edit: basically as long as the rebuttal admits the story is bad then its a matter of quality or quantity of standards and not opinion

Hiltz

I'm near 13 hours in Other M and loving it despite the flaws. I'd still put it behind Metroid Fusion, Super Metroid, Prime 1 and 3. Anyway, I'm glad I bought the game and have no regrets besides the disappointing lack of music.

So far, the story is more interesting than anything from the Prime series in my opinion especially Prime 3's which was just dull. Although, the Prime series scores points for adding in the extra story elements and lore via scanning.

I recently beat
Ridley who kicked my ass 3 times in a row and acquired the space jump and screw attack
. Who would have thought that
Ridley would be a cute white, fluffy rabbit creature ?
:lol

etiolate said:
Yeah, but you still don't praise them just because the rest of the class sucked, too.
No, but I don't see why you guys are harping on it for the same reason.:lol

Games by default have crap stories. Expecting a game to have a good story is like expecting me not to make some really dumb joke about sexual depravity.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
eznark said:
or actually let the translators do something classy with the script

SpacePirate Ridley said:
You have to respect opinions, man.
Im sure you love a thing that other people dont like.

I'd liken it to children enjoying Batman and Robin. If you liked it, that's fine and respect different opinions and all that, but don't go and say that Batman didn't have any character until he whipped out the Bat Credit Card.

Rez said:

yeah, you slowly realize that the problem is as much the script as it is on the voice actor.

well, not quite. the voice acting has that complete lack of tone from PS1 games. WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOR.

KevinCow

Banned
Thunder Monkey said:
Haven't played the game yet myself... but can't your post be used for almost every videogames story?

Good stories in your games are the rarity. Most wouldn't get you a D in a creative writing class.

Yeah, most video game stories suck. But most games don't dwell on them as much, and most games don't do nearly as poor a job at telling their bad stories.

I'm not saying I expect an amazing story from the game. I'm saying that if the game doesn't have a good story to tell and a competent team of writers, directors, voice actors, and whatever else, you shouldn't put an hour and a half of cutscenes into your game, especially when previous iterations got on fine without them.

But I guess this is an industry where Metal Gear Solid is considered a high point of storytelling, so I can't really expect much more from the audience.

etiolate

Banned
Thunder Monkey said:
No, but I don't see why you guys are harping on it for the same reason.:lol

Games by default have crap stories. Expecting a game to have a good story is like expecting me not to make some really dumb joke about sexual depravity.

Well, because it's Metroid, which has a few games which show good "ludo narrative", but if I bring that subject in from the Braid thread then this place will explode again.

KevinCow said:
Get over what? That some people have literally no standards of quality?

You know any time soon a person who hates Lost can counter point your argument saying the same things you are using against other m but with Lost, no?

I assuming it because of your avatar, so I hope Im right :lol , and also I like Lost so I only use it because Ive heard many people say the show is shit and had no quality what so ever. That is the same thing you are saying here about us with other m cutscenes

As I say, respect opinions if you want your opinions to be respected.

Boney

Banned
Koodo said:
Standards for a videogame? Honey, please, get a grasp of reality. They're terrible, yes, but unless this thread was called Mother 4 |OT|, it's silly to act surprised at the quality of the narrative.
fixed :)

KevinCow said:
Yeah, most video game stories suck. But most games don't dwell on them as much, and most games don't do nearly as poor a job at telling their bad stories.

I'm not saying I expect an amazing story from the game. I'm saying that if the game doesn't have a good story to tell and a competent team of writers, directors, voice actors, and whatever else, you shouldn't put an hour and a half of cutscenes into your game, especially when previous iterations got on fine without them.

But I guess this is an industry where Metal Gear Solid is considered a high point of storytelling, so I can't really expect much more from the audience.
That much I can agree with.

I'd rather no story then a bad one.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
etiolate said:
But if you look at people saying "Samus never had any character before", you realize you're dealing with an audience that has a vocal percentage of people that need to be told everything.

I am not saying it's an excuse, but maybe someone thought that people actually didn't understand the story of Super Metroid.
Well, I think most people thought of Samus' character as being different. Sakamoto said people thought this including Retro. His whole point was to take away the mystery of the character. Why? On one hand he says that it's so he can do more in the future and then he says he doesn't know what to do next. Like I said, he pigeon holed himself.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Rez said:

"I remember the baby. It feels like...pants."

Boney

Banned
MadOdorMachine said:
Well, I think most people thought of Samus' character as being different. Sakamoto said people thought this including Retro. His whole point was to take away the mystery of the character. Why? On one hand he says that it's so he can do more in the future and then he says he doesn't know what to do next. Like I said, he pigeon holed himself.
On what to do next he refered to style of play, wether working with Team Ninja again on Other M 2 or move to different hardware. Or even let it hibernate.

Mafro

etiolate said:
Actually, in this case, it's no standards, since the original complaint is "this story is horrible" and the rebuttal is "its par for course for game stories" which is to say that game stories suck and you might as well be accepting of this.

edit: basically as long as the rebuttal admits the story is bad then its a matter of quality or quantity of standards and not opinion
I thought the story was alright. Love the hyperbole about it in this thread.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY

KevinCow

Banned
Rez said:

Oh god Nintendo has some of the absolute best localizers in Treehouse. I don't understand how Other M happened with them around.

Anyway, I'm out. This game, what it's done to my favorite series, and and the fact that people are gladly lapping it up are making me e-rage way too much. :/

Boney

Banned
Y2Kev said:
THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY
Although it's a bad reworking of script translation on my part, it only happened in the opening cutscene really.

KevinCow said:
Get over what? That some people have literally no standards of quality?

Get over yourself. You are not the final say on what's quality and what isn't. I'm pretty sure we could go over what you like and find some questionable material. So get over yourself, just because you don't like it doesn't mean only your opinion matters.

Poyunch

Hiltz said:
I recently beat
Ridley who kicked my ass 3 times in a row and acquired the space jump and screw attack
. Who would have thought that
Ridley would be a cute white, fluffy rabbit creature ?
:lol
It sort of funny thinking a Space Dragon develops like that. I wonder if normal Space Dragons actually weren't as fucked up and demented like Ridley since their offspring looked like that.

Red

My biggest problem with the
Ridley scene is that he just isn't that menacing. Samus has been given character, but Ridley still seems like a dumb purple space dragon. The only backstory we have on him is stuff that's told to us in the manga and game manuals. He doesn't need a voice (and I shudder to think of how that would have gone over), but I'd have liked to see some sort of threat to trigger Samus's PTSD. He shows up, growls at you, gives you a nasty stare, and then proves to be a total pushover. As he is in Other M, he's not really worth the five seconds Samus takes to compose herself.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
More importantly, can we have a moment of silence for
Lyle?
Alas, we hardly knew ye.

Aw well, Ice beam get!

etiolate

Banned
Shin Johnpv said:
Get over yourself. You are not the final say on what's quality and what isn't. I'm pretty sure we could go over what you like and find some questionable material. So get over yourself, just because you don't like it doesn't mean only your opinion matters.

oh jeebus fuck

Ridley327

KevinCow said:
Oh god Nintendo has some of the absolute best localizers in Treehouse. I don't understand how Other M happened with them around.
Some guys just do not want localizations to be so free with the translation. This is actually why MGS1 has such a vastly different feel to its script compared to its sequels; Jeremy Blaustein cut down on the "Japanese-ness" of Kojima's script and made it work. Kojima and Konami didn't like that, so no more Blaustein.

KevinCow said:

Anyway, I'm out. This game, what it's done to my favorite series, and and the fact that people are gladly lapping it up are making me e-rage way too much. :/
It's cool.

I went through the same thing when Metal Gear became MGS.

Poyunch

KevinCow said:

Something we can agree on. :lol

wrneis.jpg

John Harker said:
More importantly, can we have a moment of silence for
Lyle?
Alas, we hardly knew ye.

Aw well, Ice beam get!
Outside of Anthony and that trigger-heavy dude (can't even remember his name) these guys had no semblance of a character.

Boney

Banned
PounchEnvy said:

wrneis.jpg

Outside of Anthony and that trigger-heavy dude (can't even remember his name) these guys had no semblance of a character.
Oh fuck it just hit me!

It's because ithe world is made of cloth!

Holy moly :lol

Red

Shin Johnpv said:
It's great how some people are personally insulted because others are enjoying this game :lol

Koodo

Banned
Mafro said:
I thought the story was alright. Love the hyperbole about it in this thread.
The story was indeed passable. I put it on the same level as soap operas. They're far from quality, but entirely stomach-able.

But this thread is beyond repair. I mean, we have people arguing that games with nary of a narrative and 2D blocky sprites constructed an image of Samus. Jesus, I didn't know nostalgia could lead to such delusion.

PounchEnvy said:

wrneis.jpg
I'll probably get diabetes just by playing this game, and I simply cannot wait. :lol

etiolate

Banned
Koodo said:
The story was indeed passable. I put it on the same level as soap operas. They're far from quality, but entirely stomach-able.

But this thread is beyond repair. I mean, we have people arguing that games with nary of a narrative and 2D blocky sprites constructed an image of Samus. Jesus, I didn't know nostalgia could lead to such delusion.

I'll probably get diabetes just by playing this game, and I simply cannot wait. :lol

It's not passable. It's got bad plot holes and bad characterizations. It introduces a squad of team members that you know are all doomed to die before the game even really starts. And it does all of this without a nod and a wink. It takes itself so seriously.

Again, "ITS BAD BUT SO IS THIS OTHER BAD STORY" is still admitting its bad and you're admitting to not having any standards.

Also, your last bit, it concerns stuff you probably are foreign to. Don't delve into latin if you don't speak latin.

Koodo said:

I thought the story was fine as well and I am enjoying the game. Neogaf is synonymous with hyperbolic crap so I never take what I see here very seriously. Super Metroid nerds are the only ones upset at the story.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Crunched said:
It's great how some people are personally insulted because others are enjoying this game :lol

The more I see of the "e-rage" hidden behind a veil of faux-intellectualism and "standards for the medium", the more I suspect some salty folks are crying into their curiously masculine life-sized Samus pillow in the bedroom.

Salsa

Any story (i mean, real story) in a Metroid game would be considered a disappointment by a large amount of people at this point.

Red

PounchEnvy said:
That's when you know it's time to calm down and move on.
It's kind of sad, really. It's gone past arguments or opinion and turned into an attempt to convince us that we didn't really like it, we just think we did, and explaining why we're wrong.
Kaijima said:
The more I see of the "e-rage" hidden behind a veil of faux-intellectualism and "standards for the medium", the more I suspect some salty folks are crying into their curiously masculine life-sized Samus pillow in the bedroom.
Seriously, like one person's misguided grasp at academia is the plateau we should all aspire to.

Top Bottom