• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Am I the only one who likes Samus as an actual character/person better having played Other M? It's the only time she's really felt alive to me. She was always "cool," and "badass," but very cold and devoid of life in her armor... these are just adjectives and traits alone a person does not make. (Note: still haven't beaten it, 4-5 hours in).

She never had the facial exposition that say, Link has, or the vocal quips and story-laden adventures that Mario takes place in (rpgs, etc).

Red

John Harker said:
Am I the only one who likes Samus as an actual character/person better having played Other M? It's the only time she's really felt alive to me. She was always "cool," and "badass," but very cold and devoid of life in her armor... these are just adjectives and traits alone a person does not make. (Note: still haven't beaten it, 4-5 hours in).

She never had the facial exposition that say, Link has, or the vocal quips and story-laden adventures that Mario takes place in (rpgs, etc).
She behaved similarly in the manga. I realize most fans probably haven't read it, but it establishes her as a character pretty conclusively. There is a disconnect between her beast-slaying spelunking and her social interactions (I suppose it's no more of a disconnect than any other game character, though; see: Nathan Drake, wisecracking mass murderer extraodinaire).

I don't mind her character, I just think the script was pretty awful. Those damn monologues are so redundant.

eXistor said:
Yeah I'm really not feeling other M. This coming from a guy that has Super Metroid at number 1 of his favorite games ever (along with Earthbound. Those two always have to battle it out for the no. 1 spot). Prime is a pretty genius series as well, with Prime 1 being the high point. I still prefer Metroid 1 over Zero Mission, which I actually rate pretty low as well ( still don't understand why GAF seems to love that game so much).

That said, I think there's a very good game to be made with this engine and technically and control-wise I have almost no complaints. It's just that the "characterization" of Samus really doesn't work. How anyone could greenlight this is beyoind me. They've effectively destroyed the character and the series needs a complete reboot to recover from this debacle. It's quite saddening to see how far off base Sakimoto is with Other M. He doesn't even seem to know what constitutes a good Metroid game.

On top of everything that is wrong with this approach (being completely linear...what the hell where they thinking!), I really don't like the setting either. Holodecks? Really? The game looks good, but has no atmosphere. Where are the actual organic areas? This is unconvincing in every sense.

Seriously, it's very simple: give the player an unexplored organic planet to explore (none of this mechanical spaceship bs), make it more open-ended, no npc's and don't give Samus any lines (please don't). Also put in some MUSIC and you have a great new Metroid. I'd welcome a new Metroid with the Other M engine but only if the game dropped pretty much everything Other M does.

Unless this happens I think I don't have any interest left in Metroid. I know this happens to so many long-running series, but Metroid is quite dear to my heart and I don't want to see it die this undignified death.

I know it sounds like I absolutely hate the game, but truth be told, I am enjoying myself. But only because I keep telling myself this is not a real Metroid and this really is the first game to be really not up to standards. Everyone is allowed one misstep. I just hope they keep it at Other M.
The Metroid series is one of my favourite series ever. Metroid Prime Trilogy, Metroid 1 and Super Metroid are among my favourite games ever. I actually enjoyed the cutscenes in Other M. They could have chosen a better voice actor for Samus (it's mainly her voice I don't care for), but other than that I didn't find it to be bad.

I really don't see how you can think that they ruined the character. I felt that it was in line with what we've seen in the previous games. Especially from what we saw in Zero Mission and Fusion.

Considering how extremely bad some of the outdoor environments in this game look, I'm glad that they didn't make the whole game like that. Though, I definitely agree with you that the atmosphere really isn't there.

Unlike other games in the series, I didn't start to really enjoy the game until I had gotten back most of the equipment. I felt that it was really annoying that they just hold back items I already have. You basically just waited for Adam to call you and allow you to use another weapon. It was always very predictable what item you'd get and where. The sense of exploration is completely gone in this game.

And bring back the item fanfare ffs. How can you leave that out?

Rich!

Just managed to rip the game to my hard drive. finally.

Opened up the filesystem using wiiscrubber, and ripped the audio (aix extension, but still a standard wii sound format). Replaced the collect item jingle with the one from Metroid Prime/Super Metroid after a bit of converting.

IT WAS WORTH IT. :lol

Boney

Banned
richisawesome said:

Opened up the filesystem using wiiscrubber, and ripped the audio (aix extension, but still a standard wii sound format). Replaced the collect item jingle with the one from Metroid Prime/Super Metroid after a bit of converting.

Get a japanese dub.

Red

richisawesome said:

Why didn't I think of that! :lol

Penguin

I know it doesn't always work, but eh this is what Samus' reaction reminds me of

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aka_hUaJaI&feature=related

SKip to like 7 minutes (never did learn how to put a timestamp on a Youtube video)

I feel that the Joker/Batman dynamic is similar to the Ridley/Samus one. Especially in this case where they BOTH witnessed said person dying after defeating them. And even though they fought them time and time again, really does kind of get to you when they survive again.

He even has a similar, "No" reaction.

Granted, he is also like 40 years old, but eh

VerTiGo

Banned
I can't help but think that Other M worked as Metroid in 3D. It clearly shows great promise for the evolution of classic 2D Metroid versus the Prime games. I really enjoyed Samus' characterization and the cinematics as well. It sort of lost my interest near the end but eh I wasn't expecting something on par as MGS.

I really hope we see a Metroid sequel that continues this gameplay type. It was great to see the return of the Speed Booster, and the Screw Attack worked amazingly well. I loved the D-Pad control, I never had a single issue, and the sense move worked effectively as well. Personally, I would prefer if the FPS-mode was removed altogether but it is what it is at this point.

VerTiGo said:
I can't help but think that Other M worked as Metroid in 3D. It clearly shows great promise for the evolution of classic 2D Metroid versus the Prime games. I really enjoyed Samus' characterization and the cinematics as well. It sort of lost my interest near the end but eh I wasn't expecting something on par as MGS.

I really hope we see a Metroid sequel that continues this gameplay type. It was great to see the return of the Speed Booster, and the Screw Attack worked amazingly well. I loved the D-Pad control, I never had a single issue, and the sense move worked effectively as well. Personally, I would prefer if the FPS-mode was removed altogether but it is what it is at this point.
I felt that the FPS mode worked great, other than when they felt that it was a good idea to have that stupid where's waldo bs.

If they are going to make another game like this, they really need to let us switch between normal weapons and missiles NES Metroid style.

Poyunch

Penguin said:
I know it doesn't always work, but eh this is what Samus' reaction reminds me of

SKip to like 7 minutes (never did learn how to put a timestamp on a Youtube video)

I feel that the Joker/Batman dynamic is similar to the Ridley/Samus one. Especially in this case where they BOTH witnessed said person dying after defeating them. And even though they fought them time and time again, really does kind of get to you when they survive again.

And it would've worked if it weren't for
little Samus making an appearance.

HeresSomeWeapons said:
Too bad there's not an Ending 3 for getting 100%. I was vastly disappointed.

Is there anything special for beating it on hard mode?
Satisfaction.

Penguin

PounchEnvy said:
And it would've worked if it weren't for
little Samus making an appearance.

Satisfaction.

I actually think
Little Samus makes more sense, its an old movie trick. You flashback to when the person was young and innocent. Its not like she actually turned into a little girl.

I do however wonder what the heck was going on with her suit.

heringer

Heh, just noticed a nice little detail.

When Samus arrives to that lab in sector 1, James is the only one there (he was messing with the computer). When all the other soldiers arrives together, Maurice says something like "huh? Looks like the computer triggered an auto self-destruction", and the camera focus on James face, with a "uh oh" kind of face. :lol

Just a little thing that I didn't notice on my first playthrough.

Boney

Banned
heringer said:
Heh, just noticed a nice little detail.

When Samus arrives to that lab in sector 1, James is the only one there (he was messing with the computer). When all the other soldiers arrives together, Maurice says something like "huh? Looks like the computer triggered an auto self-destruction", and the camera focus on James face, with a "uh oh" kind of face. :lol

Just a little thing that I didn't notice on my first playthrough.
I thought it was pretty obvious. I'm glad they didn't pull a Heavy Rain on us.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Boney said:
Told you earlier. He wasn't refering to what to do with her character. He was pondering on wether make Other M 2 with Team Ninja or focus on another piece of hardware with different properties and style.

I'm pretty sure etiolate got banned for being condescendent, calling us dumb fucks. Told everybody to shut the fuck up, and continue to call us villagers and what not.
That's not the way I took it. I agree about him not knowing whether to go with Team Ninja again (I think it would be a mistake not to. At this point, make at least one sequel to fix the mistakes of this one) but I also took it to mean the character as well. If the next game takes place after Fusion, it's a completely open road to where the series can go. It sounded to me like he has no idea what to do with the character after Fusion.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
richisawesome said:

Can you post it on YouTube? I'd like to check that out. It sounds pretty cool.

heringer

Boney said:
I thought it was pretty obvious. I'm glad they didn't pull a Heavy Rain on us.
It couldn't possibly be obvious since at that time we didn't know there was a traitor. Sure, you could remember that happened and make the connection, but most people probably didn't (including me). :p

jman2050

I'm in the postgame now. I WILL say that the first "final boss" was the stupidest crap in the entire game to that point.
I died about 10 times trying to missile those damn beetles to death until accidentally targeting MB to finish the game
Hope whatever is at the end of postgame is better than that.

After obviously knowing about
Ridley
and getting spoiled to hell about
Queen Metroid and, evidently, Phantoon :/
I was glad there was still a surprise left for me in
Nightmare, which was probably my favorite single fight in the game, just because the gravity abilities were so well done and they did a FANTASTIC job converting the dude to 3D

Thoughts on the game haven't changed, it still owns and it definitely has the distinct Metroid gameplay curve of slowing turning you into more of a badass until the end when you can just run around wherever you want killing shit instantly. Frankly, the entire game is literally a 3D Fusion, complete with nigh-identical structure. This isn't a bad thing if you liked Fusion. If you didn't, then well, I can understand your frustration.

As much as I love playing the game, I do have to point out how utterly awful the story and the way it's told is.
The MB reveal being telegraphed was pedestrian enough, but everything having to do with Madeline and "Melissa" was just... argh I was facepalming so hard at some parts of the ending cutscenes.
Also,
Adam's death was surprisingly anticlimatic considering the importance this event has on Metroid Fusion.

Nevertheless, it's more fun to laugh at and facepalm at rather than getting all offended and acting like the franchise has been Ruined FOREVER[/spoiler].

Finally beat the game. I have to say I was bored 75% of the way through until you get to the
power plant with Ridley
. After that the story got pretty kick-ass. I did not read anything till I played the game so I was surprised. I loved the cutscene and story aspect of the game, but I did not like the quasi 2D/3D, the hand holding, and the weapon management system. It wasn't a bad game by far, but it was not close to being my favorite in the Metroid series.

Red

heringer said:
It couldn't possibly be obvious since at that time we didn't know there was a traitor. Sure, you could remember that happened and make the connection, but most people probably didn't (including me). :p
I knew immediately, and I assumed most others would as well. It wasn't even the
self-destruct fact that clued me in, it was Samus looking bewildered at having run into him and his quick step away from the PC when he noticed she was there. Right away I thought, okay, here's the bad guy.

heringer

Crunched said:
self-destruct fact that clued me in, it was Samus looking bewildered at having run into him and his quick step away from the PC when he noticed she was there. Right away I thought, okay, here's the bad guy.
Well, ok then. I sure didn't get that the first time. It's too subtle if you're not really invested in the story. And I have a hard time believing most people did since a lot of folks still don't know if the traitor was James or K.G. :lol

Red

heringer said:
Well, ok then. I sure didn't get that the first time. It's too subtle if you're not really invested in the story. And I have a hard time believing most people did since a lot of folks still don't know if the traitor was James or K.G. :lol
You're right. There's been a lot of confusion on that point. I assumed it would come across clearer than it did is what I meant.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Crunched said:

Yeah, i also thought something was fishy about him after that scene, the camera even zoomed to his face for no reason(back then anyway) when all the other members arrived, and after we learned about the "Deleter", i was 95% sure it was him.

Penguin said:

Interesting, its really the same reaction I though samus had.

About
the little samus scene, that I liked, I think is been put there clearly because the majority havent read the manga, if that scene had appeared, lets say, in a prologue of Zero Mission, people would not need that information so it wouldnt have appeared, at least as blatantly

Stallion Free said:
I just zipped up the whole batch of Metroid: Other M screens I took when playing through it in Dolphin and uploaded them for anyone interested here: Megaupload link.

Are there the all the artwork of the menu, because it would be amazing to have it in 720p

Question for those who had trouble with the Where's Waldo part and the end segment
where you had to shoot MB
: Did you watch the cutscenes leading up to those moments? I did and had no trouble with it BUT for the one Where's Waldo part
before the Ridley battle
, I didn't hear what Anthony said so I sat there searching for about 5 minutes before hitting up that cutscene on youtube. Once I heard him say,
"Where's the exit?"
, I knew exactly what to do. So is the whole problem with those segments just a matter of not paying attention?

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
WOW! I like this game a whole lot more than I ever expected I would. It was rough in areas, but this is definitely the direction I want the series to continue in.

I really liked the combat. I was concerned that the auto targeting might make too easy, but they toss so many enemies at you at times it makes up for it. I like that the enemies are basically all patterned based, but (with a few exceptions) beatable without having to exploit their patterns. The lack of heath and missile refills was jarring.

First person view could have been used better. I have a large uncovered window to my left while playing now, so that mechanic was glitchy for me until night time. By then I had learned to deal with it, so once it stopped it felt smooth and very satisfying to use in combat. For the first couple hours I tried scanning everything new I came across, but was disappointed that it didn't do much. I did notice that the game moved faster after I stopped trying that.

The forced 1st person areas and instant-kill moments were too obscure. Almost all of my deaths occurred in these areas, until I could figure out what was required of me.
I spent a good 10 minutes looking at Lyle's body, staring off into the distance, trying to shoot things, before I pointed at the green blood trail long enough to notice it. And its a shame the main story ends by looking at / locking on / whatever, I not sure what I did to MB.

I liked the narrative. I disliked only a few cutscenes, which may be a record for me and a video game. In fact, I watched the full game-movie after beating it willingly. I especially liked their characterizations of Samus and Adam. Its given the Metroid universe dimensions that none of the previous games could. It did feel more like a remake of Fusion than its own game, but then again I hated Fusions entire premise.

Confession time:
- I shot every door even though I didn't have to.
- I didn't realize that
the alien bunny, the chicken-dog, and Ridley were the same thing
until after the story outright explained it. I pieced the first two together on my own but not the last.
- I'm still not sure
who the Deleter is. I have two theories; 1) He never existed and was an imaginary character created by MB's lie. 2) It was James, who I suspected since the observation base scenes but then he's just dead.

sphinx

the piano man
I am totally clueless with this game. People here at Gaf seem to have embraced positively this game, for the most part at least.

yet the review site of Gamefaqs has 4s, 5s and 6s splashed all over it. These are detailed reviews that carefully explain why everything sucks....

8-12 hour game is too short for $49.99 so I'll definitely pass for the time being.

heringer

JJConrad said:
WOW! I like this game a whole lot more than I ever expected I would. It was rough in areas, but this is definitely the direction I want the series to continue in.

I really liked the combat. I was concerned that the auto targeting might make too easy, but they toss so many enemies at you at times it makes up for it. I like that the enemies are basically all patterned based, but (with a few exceptions) beatable without having to exploit their patterns. The lack of heath and missile refills was jarring.

First person view could have been used better. I have a large uncovered window to my left while playing now, so that mechanic was glitchy for me until night time. By then I had learned to deal with it, so once it stopped it felt smooth and very satisfying to use in combat. For the first couple hours I tried scanning everything new I came across, but was disappointed that it didn't do much. I did notice that the game moved faster after I stopped trying that.

The forced 1st person areas and instant-kill moments were too obscure. Almost all of my deaths occurred in these areas, until I could figure out what was required of me.
I spent a good 10 minutes looking at Lyle's body, staring off into the distance, trying to shoot things, before I pointed at the green blood trail long enough to notice it. And its a shame the main story ends by looking at / locking on / whatever, I not sure what I did to MB.

I liked the narrative. I disliked only a few cutscenes, which may be a record for me and a video game. In fact, I watched the full game-movie after beating it willingly. I especially liked their characterizations of Samus and Adam. Its given the Metroid universe dimensions that none of the previous games could. It did feel more like a remake of Fusion than its own game, but then again I hated Fusions entire premise.

Confession time:
- I shot every door even though I didn't have to.
- I didn't realize that
the alien bunny, the chicken-dog, and Ridley were the same thing
until after the story outright explained it. I pieced the first two together on my own but not the last.
- I'm still not sure
who the Deleter is. I have two theories; 1) He never existed and was an imaginary character created by MB's lie. 2) It was James, who I suspected since the observation base scenes but then he's just dead.
It was James. :)

Boney

Banned
Eaten By A Grue said:
Finally beat the game. I have to say I was bored 75% of the way through until you get to the
power plant with Ridley
. After that the story got pretty kick-ass. I did not read anything till I played the game so I was surprised. I loved the cutscene and story aspect of the game, but I did not like the quasi 2D/3D, the hand holding, and the weapon management system. It wasn't a bad game by far, but it was not close to being my favorite in the Metroid series.
This hurts my feelings :(

sphinx said:
I am totally clueless with this game. People here at Gaf seem to have embraced positively this game, for the most part at least.

yet the review site of Gamefaqs has 4s, 5s and 6s splashed all over it. These are detailed reviews that carefully explain why everything sucks....

8-12 hour game is too short for $49.99 so I'll definitely pass for the time being.

Is...is this serious?

Mafro

sphinx said:

:lol

pulga

Banned
Kard8p3 said:
Seems like etiolate got banned. .

*pops a champagne bottle*

Thank the gods, no more pretentious whining. Bad thing is he's now got enough free time to write a 50 page long thesis on the subject.

Doorman

sphinx said:

It's been one of the most weirdly polarizing games I've seen in a long time. Such a mix of people between those that say it sucks, those that say it's ok, those that say it's great...etc. It's been said before but I think a lot of it still harkens back to what people expect of the game going in, and what they consider to be the core cruxes of Metroid as a franchise to be. It's not a game without fault, but whether or not those faults are crippling or forgivable largely depends on the individual.

Is it weird to say I'm a little saddened that etiolate got banned? He did ultimately bring a lot of discussion-worthy points to the table, but he certainly could have done it without all the half-insults and attempts to pull academic rank, but I've tried my best to overlook those.

...Just like some people have overlooked problematic parts of Other M? Oh ho!

Boney

Banned
sphinx said:

The 2 most negative reviews are the 2/5 from G4 which goes on an all out feminist rampage which is completely unmerited. And the 6.25 from GameInformer where they say that the combat revolves around running in circles charging your beam. It's the equivalent of playing Mario World without running, Yoshi, spin jump and no power-ups

Impressions are all over the place though. Some don't like it, some love it. Even here. I definately recommend you to try it out. And if reviews are important, it got a lot of 9's and 8.5's.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I hit the red door glitch yesterday. I tried what I saw online about copying the file to a different slot but it didn't work. I guess I have to start the game over. :(

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
heringer said:
It was James. :)
If it was him, then there are a few areas that don't make sense.

-You're made to believe that he attacks Adam, but later find out that Adam went silent because he left to beat Samus to Sector Zero.

-You follow the Deleter into the Main Sector and see MB come out of the door the Deleter entered.

-The scene in which the Deleter attacks MB at the place where James' body found is intentionally shown outside of the stories the continuous timeline. Its within a backflash as if it doesn't happen as perceived.

Boney said:
The 2 most negative reviews are the 2/5 from G4 which goes on an all out feminist rampage which is completely unmerited. And the 6.25 from GameInformer where they say that the combat revolves around running in circles charging your beam. It's the equivalent of playing Mario World without running, Yoshi, spin jump and no power-ups

Impressions are all over the place though. Some don't like it, some love it. Even here. I definately recommend you to try it out. And if reviews are important, it got a lot of 9's and 8.5's.

What did they find sexist about the game? Don't get it. Sure, Samus was a little monotone with her VA'ing and actions sometimes, but for the most part, she was a strong female lead that showed a good amount of emotion. I think the only reason the squad seemed to take it easy on her was because she was the youngest, or "the baby" of the squad but that's normal for a family type thing.

Fuzzy

riceandbeans said:
What did they find sexist about the game? Don't get it. Sure, Samus was a little monotone with her VA'ing and actions sometimes, but for the most part, she was a strong female lead that showed a good amount of emotion. I think the only reason the squad seemed to take it easy on her was because she was the youngest, or "the baby" of the squad but that's normal for a family type thing.
She's not a part of the Federation but she takes orders from Adam not to use her weapons until he says so.

heringer

Fuzzy said:
I hit the red door glitch yesterday. I tried what I saw online about copying the file to a different slot but it didn't work. I guess I have to start the game over. :(
That sucks. :/

I wonder if Nintendo will release a firmware to fix that or just pretend it never happened. I'm thinking the latter.

Fuzzy

heringer said:
That sucks. :/

I wonder if Nintendo will release a firmware to fix that or just pretend it never happened. I'm thinking the latter.
It just sucked all motivation to start again because I'll be really pissed if it happened again. I guess I could just look for a save file just past it and continue on.

Boney

Banned
riceandbeans said:
Beats me man. The stupidest thing is that they claimed if Adam was a woman, then they wouldn't have had a problem. Oh and agreed with Maelstrom's article that EmCee posted that said Super Metroid was an awful game or something like that.

Fuzzy said:
It just sucked all motivation to start again because I'll be really pissed if it happened again. I guess I could just look for a save file just past it and continue on.
There should be a save file floating around somewhere. It happened to me as well, and I copied my bro's file that was like 2 hours in. It still sucked bad.

Nintendo hasn't issued anything regarding this?

heringer

Fuzzy said:
She's not a part of the Federation but she takes orders from Adam not to use her weapons until he says so.
So I guess Boba Fett is a girly girl for playing by Vader rules ("No disintegrations!"), even though he wasn't really part of the Empire.

Poyunch

Apparently if you copy your file, the red door glitch won't appear on the copied file. That's what I've heard I luckily never got the glitch.

Fuzzy

heringer said:
So I guess Boba Fett is a girly girl for playing by Vader rules ("No disintegrations!"), even though he wasn't really part of the Empire.
Vader could kill Fett in an instant, Adam is a loser* in a hat.

*opinion may change once I beat the game.

Boney said:
This hurts my feelings :(
:-( Eh perhaps it is just me. I am in my late 20's and have grown up with this series. Anytime there is a new Metroid game I always hype myself up...perhaps this time I set my expectations too high. It is not like I hated the game, for me it did not live up to the enjoyment I have had with Metroid games past. I admit I am getting older, perhaps this is just an evolution of the series for a new generation and my enjoyment for the series reached its pinnacle with Prime.

Poyunch

Fuzzy said:
Vader could kill Fett in an instant, Adam is a loser* in a hat.

*opinion may change once I beat the game.
How does a Bounty Hunter get payed? By getting hired. You have to listen to rules when you're hired.

(Don't read until you beat the game)

To further prove that she was legitimately hired. When Admiral Not-Really Dane shows up Samus was asked to leave the area because the 07th Platoon was no longer active (for some reason).

Top Bottom