• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

Kard8p3

Tathanen said:
So I'm playing Metroid II for more than an hour for the first time and this game is fuckin great.

Just puttin that out there.

What do you think of the soundtrack so far? Most don't seem to like it much but I think it helps to create a creepy atmosphere. It amazes me how effective those bleeps and bloops are.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Tathanen said:
So I'm playing Metroid II for more than an hour for the first time and this game is fuckin great.

SO underappreciated. This was the game that got me into the series.
Spider ball
FTW.

Boney

Banned
Tathanen said:

Love it, definately consider it 3rd tier Metroid, but it's an amazing game.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Game continues to grow on me. most of the controller flaws very ignorable at this point.
When exploration pays off, it is awesome.
shinespark is so sweet.
combat is awesome.

lingering issues.
restricted areas. WTF i just want to explore :/

the writing is pretty terrible. it is unfortunate how samus has to be a whiny chick while the male characters in the story are badass emotionless and stone cold. exploring samus is fine, but it was done in a pretty bad way. not gonna say sexist, but at the very least stereotypical.

Tathanen said:

It really, really is. The last third of the game is pretty amazing, so if you like it now you'll love it in a couple of hours.

Mael

Welp I'm on the critter's boss where you're in 1rst person and shooting his tail...

On hard mode, you get hit twice and you're gone...
well I think I'll be officially done with this game's BS, I think I'll even actually trade this turd to get some of my money back.
Thank god for the used market!
That's the last time I'll be swayed by opinions on my buying habit, I should have gotten HR over this.
And seeing people actually defend the invisible walls as a paramount of good design is really weird.
The amount of dedication it takes to even come to that conclusion is ....interesting to say the least.
I mean we're not on the level where people acknowledge a fault but declare that it's not bothering them, they're actually using that as a positive!

Well enjoy this this crap if you want, I'm officially done with it and dear god I tried.
Next time I'll do something more fun and useful like gouging my eyes with a sponge.

Mael

robor said:
Why would you continue to play something you hate? What bizarre behavior.

1rst, I actually bought it so so I actually expect some enjoyment out of it AND 2nd, I actually didn't expect such a trainwreck.
I'm quite forgiving, heck I hate dual analog setup and I actually bought and played Killzone 2.
I even have some nice things to say about that game, heck I even bought, played and had fun with (some parts of) Sonic Heroes. That should tell you how fucking forgiving I can be.
But this is actually the 1rst time I'm confronted with something as offensive as this.
I'm usually not very kind to people taking others for freaking morons and wasting times, that's exactly how it felt here.
It feels like the makers were trying to make the sequel to something good and actually phoned it in and then actually try to justify the turd they've made.
Seriously I've not been offended on that level since some politicians tried to pass of that law about illegal downloading (that was so badly made that was maddening).

robor said:
Why would you continue to play something you hate? What bizarre behavior.

...and post about how much you hate it over and over and over.

Just wrapped up my first playthrough at around the 9 hour mark, and just starting in on the
post-credit content

Very impressed with the game, in spite of its obvious rough edges. It's a first pass at a new Metroid style and it certainly deserves to be followed up by a more refined, content-rich sequel either on Wii (unlikely) or Wii2. It's also worth reading the 2002 manga and replaying Fusion before playing, as it really shows you where Sakamoto was coming from with his characterisation of Samus and with the wider plot. If you were coming to this game straight off the back of the Metroid Prime Trilogy, I could certainly see where the sentiments about the "changes" to the character and universe would come from.

It's going to remain a hugely divisive game for quite a while, I think, but I do believe that when people look back at it in five years or so that it will be seen far more fondly and with a better appreciation of what it does right, rather than the white-hot indignation at what it differently.

BTW, Kajima - good posts.

Jackano

My turn; Here is my little review of it.

I'm not a Metroid fan. I jumped into this one and what I can say, it's a good game, I actually enjoy it. It's not killer-app for me, some gameplay elements bother me (1st/3rd person switch is not really good, auto-aim and auto-escape feels like you never control something in the game), but i liked the very rare puzzles, it is really Zelda like in space to me. Technically not very good, but erff, no one on Wii makes efforts on that point.

My main complain is what Team Ninja have done with Samus. Focusing on story is Ok, but hell, the sequence with...
Ridley, she is fearing of it?? WTF??
Samus should never fear something for me, or never felt in fact.
Instead of sitting there doing nothing she should have said "you want eat my super missilles? Eat it frakking bird!"
So that's a general complain I think...

Jackano said:
My main complain is what Team Ninja have done with Samus. Focusing on story is Ok, but hell, the sequence with...
Ridley, she is fearing of it?? WTF??
Samus should never fear something for me, or never felt in fact.
Instead of sitting there doing nothing she should have said "you want eat my super missilles? Eat it frakking bird!"

So that's a general complain I think...

As regards that scene,
Samus with PTSD has been something brought up in the official manga, and the possibility that she would freeze when confronted with the creature that slaughtered her colony, who she had had to fight again and again, and that she thought she had finally destroyed isn't too far-fetched for me.

Solune

Mael said:
1rst, I actually bought it so so I actually expect some enjoyment out of it AND 2nd, I actually didn't expect such a trainwreck.
I'm quite forgiving, heck I hate dual analog setup and I actually bought and played Killzone 2.
I even have some nice things to say about that game, heck I even bought, played and had fun with (some parts of) Sonic Heroes. That should tell you how fucking forgiving I can be.
But this is actually the 1rst time I'm confronted with something as offensive as this.
I'm usually not very kind to people taking others for freaking morons and wasting times, that's exactly how it felt here.
It feels like the makers were trying to make the sequel to something good and actually phoned it in and then actually try to justify the turd they've made.
Seriously I've not been offended on that level since some politicians tried to pass of that law about illegal downloading (that was so badly made that was maddening).

So basically you bought 2 other shitty games despite them being shitty and got enjoyment out of them. That's what we call masochism. and the bolded part is exactly what you're doing in this thread. You bought it and didn't like it, that's a shame there's quite a few others you can join to try and derail this thread a bajillion times.

Anyways. Was playing hard mode and I just realized you can overblast Kihunters and you rip off their wings so awesome. And consecutive overblasts on the space pirates when they line up with each other. The things you learn on your second time through so gooood.

Mael

Cosmonaut X said:
...and post about how much you hate it over and over and over.

I wasn't aware this thread was called "Metroid Other M |OT| Sycophants only"

Cosmonaut X said:
Very impressed with the game, in spite of its obvious rough edges. It's a first pass at a new Metroid style and it certainly deserves to be followed up by a more refined, content-rich sequel either on Wii (unlikely) or Wii2. It's also worth reading the 2002 manga and replaying Fusion before playing, as it really shows you where Sakamoto was coming from with his characterisation of Samus and with the wider plot. If you were coming to this game straight off the back of the Metroid Prime Trilogy, I could certainly see where the sentiments about the "changes" to the character and universe would come from.

That's not even close to begin the problem someone can have with the game.
You're acting like the plot is the only problem people have with it!
And I'm coming from Final fucking Fantasy XIII, obviously if linearity was such a huge problem as a concept in games for me I would probably be dead by now

Solune said:
So basically you bought 2 other shitty games despite them being shitty and got enjoyment out of them. That's what we call masochism. and the bolded part is exactly what you're doing in this thread. You bought it and didn't like it, that's a shame there's quite a few others you can join to try and derail this thread a bajillion times.

Where did I say they were shitty?
So basically this thread should be called "Metroid Other M |OT| Sycophants only"

robor

Mael said:

I guess, though if you're just playing hard mode, I don't see how it would change your perspective.

Mael said:

It's not, but your recent posts have been pretty much a blast of hate and little else. Or do you really think that:

"But this is actually the 1rst time I'm confronted with something as offensive as this.
Seriously I've not been offended on that level since some politicians tried to pass of that law about illegal downloading (that was so badly made that was maddening)."

...is going to be embraced as harsh but articulate criticism of a game?

That's not even close to begin the problem someone can have with the game.
You're acting like the plot is the only problem people have with it!

No, I'm not - that part was particularly in relation to the plot/characterisation complaints and not regarding anything else. It's blindingly obvious from even a cursory glance at the thread that some people have lots of problems with the game outside of the story.

Robor - I wasn't aiming that comment at you.

Mael

robor said:
I guess, though if you're just playing hard mode, I don't see how it would change your perspective.
one of my problems was that the game was actually too forgiving and since I'm not adamant on my views I was more than willing than to give it another shot and see if I could be wrong or not.
Heck it worked for Castlevania so why not for Other M.
Turns out that no it didn't work at all.
I'm pretty sure the problem I have here doesn't come from me.

robor

Mael said:
So basically this thread should be called "Metroid Other M |OT| Sycophants only"

Or "Metroid: Other M |OT| Mael really hates this game guys"

Mael said:
I'm pretty sure the problem I have here doesn't come from me.

You hated it before you played it, you hated it when you played it, you're hating it while you're selling it. Pretty sure it comes from you.

Solune

Mael said:

The way you worded your sentences IMPLIED KZ2 and Sonic Heroes were bad games because you were "forgiving" to them.
Look do us a favor, DO YOURSELF a favor because you fucking hate the game so fucking badly and just like you said sell the turd and be done with it.
And this Thread should be called Metoird Other M |OT| of "Baby" Crying All Day, because that's all I can hear from you.
Actually the currrent thread title is quite suitable right now towards you.

Sadist

Sorry for the double post, but I'm busy with the after credits game and I'm at 42%.

I have to reach a certain location in the main sector and I'm stuck at an elevator, which won't open. And if you climb the rings around it, you can't reach anything. What do I need to do?

Sadist said:
Sorry for the double post, but I'm busy with the after credits game and I'm at 42%.

I have to reach a certain location in the main sector and I'm stuck at an elevator, which won't open. And if you climb the rings around it, you can't reach anything. What do I need to do?

You'll end up coming down through that elevator later in after credits game. Don't worry about it for now.

Sadist said:

You need to open a power bomb door before the elevator, but I suggest you do main sector quest right at the end after you pick everything else up first.

heringer

AgentOtaku said:
One thing I hope, pray, wish for, etc.

A sequel on the 3DS!

=O
I would jizz in my pants with a 3DS sequel. Even though we would lose an aspect that I love, the first person shifting (haters gonna hate).

Mael

robor said:
Or "Metroid: Other M |OT| Mael really hates this game guys"

Or Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Allowed to Hate This

robor said:
You hated it before you played it,

Better get some proof on that, be free to abuse the search function :lol

I'll even help you

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=403137

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=398382&page=15

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=403743&page=5

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=391550&page=18

and so on

robor

Mael said:
Or Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Allowed to Hate This

That's not what I meant at all. You can hate anything you want, doesn't mean you have to shit all over the place to project your hatred towards it in a thread. Especially when it's brimmed with assertive stature.

Ok. I'll rephrase to "progressive hate".

Mael

robor said:
That's not what I meant at all. You can hate anything you want, doesn't mean you have to shit all over the place to project your hatred towards it in a thread. Especially when it's brimmed with assertive stature.

I'm not even sure what's worse :
- actually hating the stuffs and explaining every single problem you can have with it
- praising the stuff to high heaven while dismissnig EVERY SINGLE problems anyone can even have with it.

Seriously anything I did on this thread pales in comparison to the rationalisations explaining that Leondexter was actually too nitpicky to appreciate the genius from heaven that was that game.

robor said:
Ok. I'll rephrase to "progressive hate".

Except if you even look at the logs, you'll see that I was more ready to accept this game than reject it.
If anything if I planned on hating it I wouldn't have bought it at all and avoided all media, that's even why I actually avoided FFXIII and anything related to it until a friend lent it to me!
Showing the doubt I had beforehand didn't mean I actually wanted to hate it, quite the contrary. Once I get past everything I have a problem with there's only the good stuffs, I never got to that part hence the whole rejection part.
Heck I'm a sucker for flowery metaphores and analogies and when the best I can find regarding the disppointment I have over the game is Star Wars related that tend to piss me off quite a lot.

Ridley is a total ball buster on hard.

Oh man, I almost had him then. I had just about killed him and he grabbed me right out of getting hit by a super missile. You bitch :lol

robor

Mael said:
Except if you even look at the logs, you'll see that I was more ready to accept this game than reject it.
If anything if I planned on hating it I wouldn't have bought it at all and avoided all media, that's even why I actually avoided FFXIII and anything related to it until a friend lent it to me!
Showing the doubt I had beforehand didn't mean I actually wanted to hate it, quite the contrary. Once I get past everything I have a problem with there's only the good stuffs, I never got to that part hence the whole rejection part.
Heck I'm a sucker for flowery metaphores and analogies and when the best I can find regarding the disppointment I have over the game is Star Wars related that tend to piss me off quite a lot.

You never wanted to hate it. But it sure as shit seem like the lull before the storm of you undoubtedly hating it. You're a smart guy, you can tell when a game isn't going to be that great before release. You don't really need to play it in order to determine whether or not it's good.

Mael

robor said:
You never wanted to hate it. But it sure as shit seem like the lull before the storm of you undoubtedly hating it. You're a smart guy, you can tell when a game isn't going to be that great before release. You don't really need to play it in order to determine whether or not it's good.

That's what I thought of FFXIII as well, everything from the dev team to any promo led me to think I would actually hate it...
Well I didn't...crazy what a difference a good soundtrack can make :lol
And even there was nothing that could lead me to think that the OST would be so godawful or how contrivied and pointless the progression would be.
It's not rocket science, I did expect the story and all that cheese or the 3d movements and all, and I don't fault the game for that.
To be frank, things turned very sour at the dawning realisation that the game world would be pointless to explore at the first invisible wall.
The game can still be gorgeous though, no denying that. It's a great showcase of the hardware despite the framerate problems.

A.CHAP said:
Im a bit tired today as I had to stay up till 2am to beat Ridley on hard mode. Good god that is a ridiculous fight.

Basically, if you fuck up once you're dead. Pre-charging missiles made it so much easier than it could've been. I've got Nightmare next. I get the feeling I'm going to die..

EDIT: Turns out
Nightmare 1 & 2 were a piece of piss, as was the Queen (although I got the power bomb to activate on 8 health). The bit with the Desbrachians was easy - you just spam missiles and aim at MB for a while. I can't imagine trying to keep them back for very long with 10 missiles..
Managed to finish it just now on 4 hours 27 minutes. Definitely a hell of a lot more challenging than normal (duh!). It felt a lot more rewarding to finish just because of that fucker Ridley. I just wish there was something cool for doing hard mode!

It could definitely be done a lot quicker on normal (then again, if you replay it on normal can you skip the cutscenes?). You could probably knock that time right down with practice.

MechaX

So how good/rewarding (not necessary how hard) is hard mode?

Because at first glance, it doesn't sound very fun to run around getting one-shotted by everything that looks at you funny and only have like 10 missiles. But hey, maybe there's more to it.

MechaX said:

Because at first glance, it doesn't sound very fun to run around getting one-shotted by everything that looks at you funny and only have like 10 missiles. But hey, maybe there's more to it.

Well it's as rewarding as you want it to be I guess. There isn't anything in game for completing it, except a rough end time on your game menu (if that counts for you). I personally felt rewarded because now that I've finished hard mode, I've done everything the game has offered me short of doing a normal speed run.

The fun is in the skill required. Although not all enemies kill you in one hit, you're still better off not getting in their way. You need to be good at dodging and you're going to have to rely on that insta-charge, given that the time on your charge blast doesn't get any faster throughout the game.
I think Ridley, Sidehoppers, Baristutes, Gigafraugs and the Rhedogian can kill you in one hit. The rest will get you in 2-3 or knock you into single digits with one.http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_creatures_in_Metroid:_Other_M {best bet for knowing what the hell I'm rambling on about :lol Having enough missiles isn't really a major problem until Ridley. As you know, the bosses after that need super missiles to take down but it isn't a problem to do so. Nightmare gives you plenty of time and the so does the Queen.

If you felt good enough to go through the game without getting hit much then it's at least worth a try.

A.CHAP

Banned
MechaX said:

Its very good/ rewarding. I died a lot but it never felt cheap and i enjoyed having to perfect the combat and learn the best way to take on each enemy.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Mael said:
I'm not even sure what's worse :
- actually hating the stuffs and explaining every single problem you can have with it
- praising the stuff to high heaven while dismissnig EVERY SINGLE problems anyone can even have with it.

Seriously anything I did on this thread pales in comparison to the rationalisations explaining that Leondexter was actually too nitpicky to appreciate the genius from heaven that was that game.

'cept almost nobody in this thread has been praising it to high heaven while dismissing "every single" problem it has. This thread has largely been:

1. Player A comes in expressing massive annoyance, disbelief, and varying degrees of bitterness that this game isn't flawless.

2. Player B responds by wondering how they can have that big a problem with what seem to be relatively small issues in the big picture.

3. Player A retorts that player B is a mere fanboy apologist for denying the crippling problems the game has and that it was made by monkeys who have no idea how to design a game.

4. Player B goes woah dude, I didn't even say the game was that great; you sound butthurt that the game isn't curing cancer because it has Metroid in the title.

5. Player A invokes "clearly you know nothing of game design - have you even ever played a game?" the proceeds to outline why this game is objectively horrible because it's not precisely like Super Metroid or Metroid Prime 1. May cite "2010 design standards" whatever that really means.

6. Player B either throws up hands and leaves, or actually responds to the criticisms by explaining why they disagree and giving an alternate view on why the game isn't nearly that bad, many of the design features are being grossly misunderstood, and still readily admitting it has a few poor elements and could be a lot better.

7. Player A either throws up hands hands and leaves, or returns that you noobs don't care about quality, have no standards, are apologists, or are merely repressing A's right to an opinion and may say "enjoy your little game anyway" to B.

This is a (slightly) cartoonish exaggeration and I'm not accusing any one person in the thread of hitting every point; it's also just about par for the course when a prestiged entry in a series comes out and is the /slightest/ bit controversial in any aspect :lol

Top Bottom