• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

Sadist said:
Well I used several powerbombs and defeated several bugdudes...

heringer, you were right about Ridley. Fuuuu. He killed me so many times just by tailing me at the start of the fight. :lol

Sadist, have you got all but the last two items? There are two particular items that you need to have beaten Phantoon to get.

heringer

MarshMellow96 said:
heringer, you were right about Ridley. Fuuuu. He killed me so many times just by tailing me at the start of the fight. :lol
I died like 30 times before I dropped the bastard. :lol

Can't remember how many times I was about to kill him and that fucking tail got the best of me.

heringer said:
I died like 30 times before I dropped the bastard. :lol

Can't remember how many times I was about to kill him and that fucking tail got the best of me.

:lol I was shouting 'fuck you' at the screen when performing the lethal strikes. It was the only medicine.

He would've been pretty straightforward if it weren't for the tail and the insta-grab attack. I don't know how many times I got him within a slither of his health and he flew across the screen and fucking grabbed me. What a prick. Glad he's 'dead' anyway.

before this thread, i never knew that music was so crucial to the difference between a horrible game and a great game.
but it seems to be a serious issue with everyone who hates it.

mantidor

The music is ok, but the lack of Metroid's classic sounds made me a sad panda. How hard was to keep the "item get" sound? Really another retarded decision. At least they kept the "Samus appears" sound.

Sadist

I found it! Secret door is secret.

MarshMellow96 said:
Sadist, have you got all but the last two items? There are two particular items that you need to have beaten Phantoon to get.
Nah, I'm just 69% of all the items. I do have all the accelerators, seven energytanks and 55 missles.

Sadist said:
I found it! Secret door is secret.

Nah, I'm just 69% of all the items. I do have all the accelerators, seven energytanks and 55 missles.

Ahh, fair enough. I thought you might have wanted to get 100% before going through.
IIRC you can go around the ship after you beat Phantoon

Kaijima said:
This is a (slightly) cartoonish exaggeration

Which is also an exaggeration. It's an exaggeration of an exaggeration.

Firstly:

- Nobody wanted to find a reason to not like this game.
- Most of us are Metroid fanboys. The game should have done something very wrong if a lot of us are very displeased with the game.
- Therefore, opening the racist door was never a good idea in the first place.

Teknoman

Yeah the few times there was music playing in the game, it was great stuff. However, nothing that would really stick in your head.

thecouncil said:
before this thread, i never knew that music was so crucial to the difference between a horrible game and a great game.

Not me. I don't like the game much (I'd only say "hate" in regards to the story/storytelling), but I don't give a damn about the music.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Kaijima said:
This is a (slightly) cartoonish exaggeration and I'm not accusing any one person in the thread of hitting every point; it's also just about par for the course when a prestiged entry in a series comes out and is the /slightest/ bit controversial in any aspect :lol
stay classy.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
thecouncil said:
There are certain games (Metroid, Castlevania, Zelda, Mario, DKC, etc.) known for their soundtracks. It's not that the ambience used here wouldn't work in other games, but a more identifiable melody has come to be accepted for this series. It's one of many changes fans are upset about. Some seem to like it though.

Kard8p3

MadOdorMachine said:
There are certain games (Metroid, Castlevania, Zelda, Mario, DKC, etc.) known for their soundtracks. It's not that the ambience used here wouldn't work in other games, but a more identifiable melody has come to be accepted for this series. It's one of many changes fans are upset about. Some seem to like it though.

Yeah I can understand why people would be upset about it and I certainly like the traditional metroid music better but I still liked the music here. Reminds me of the way the music was done in Metroid 2 which doesn't have the most memorable soundtrack but it's one of the most effective of the series imo.

Here are my complete thoughts on this game after playing it twice then going back to hard mode..

Overview

This is the most fun Metroid I've ever played. Period. Prior to this I thought Corruption was great and Zero Mission was a ton of fun too. The only ones I haven't played are Metroid II, Fusion and Echoes which I have no interest in whatsoever.

But wow. Other M is just a blast to play. When it comes to video games, that's all that matters to me. This is the only Metroid game that I've gotten 100% in because I just didn't want to stop playing. Then I got 100% again, and now currently trying to survive through hard mode. I rarely replay my games but this was one of the very small exceptions.

I know there are many people raging against this game whether it's for the dialogue or whatever, but the only reasons I really raged were during some of the Waldo moments (green blood, cacoon thing) and the scientist in the beginning. I hate that guy and I hope Samus shoots a super missile up his ass.

Gameplay

However, everything else was pretty much perfect. Overblasts were amazing to do and look at. Lethal strikes rocked whenever I figured out how to pull them off. I also loved all those "quicktime" moments, and how cinematic the overall direction of the game was. Samus was known to be a total badass and this game really solidified it. She was acrobatic, dangerous and relentless.

The combat is so satisfying. I honestly believe that everyone that had problems with the controls either never played a video game before or had sensor bar issues. My 9 year old brother was pulling off crazy moves and clearing rooms and bosses like nothing. There was no problem changing perspectives and holy shit, missiles never felt so satisfying. Someone here keeps mentioning that it was like a shotgun. Hell yeah. You shoot, cock and load, and shoot again. It really is a gamble since a lot of time I wasn't able to shoot missiles before getting hit.

Speaking of that, the concentration mode addition was great too. One thing I hated in all Metroids were farming for missiles and health so being able to just charge up to replenish was nice. There's nothing more satisfying than concentrating to replenish your health RIGHT before you get hit by an enemy then just sense dodge away. Sense was amazing and further shows Samus' agility and general awesomeness. This is another mechanic that must come back for future Metroids.

Boss fights were spectacular.
Ridley, Lava Whale and Nightmare were just so much fun and Phantoon was a treat as well.

Music

I love Metroid music and it was a little disappointing that the catchy tunes were absent. That being said what was there was excellent. I love the main piano theme as well as the new Ridley theme. The credits song is fucking terrific as well.

One complaint I didn't understand was that this game made things feel less lonely. It makes me wonder if we were even playing the same game. The music all throughout the game was very creepy and atmospheric. It was brooding and really helped to sell the tension. It fit the Metroid theme better than other games I thought. Metroid games usually have very catchy tunes but I'd say they hardly fit with the isolation theme. Hell, Tallon IV music was a fucking techno dance tune. It was great but hardly gave me the same feeling.
The music when you're chasing the deleter LINK
is amazingly creepy and speculative.

Graphics / Presentation / Final Thoughts

Graphics were awesome, awesome, awesome. So fast and fluid. Excellent animation all around as well. However, I did experience a lot of slowdown, especially during the post-game. Some parts were really bad, which caused me to just stop playing for a few seconds. This was all post game when I was collecting items for 100% completion so I wasn't too bugged, but it was definitely there.

I also loved the cinematic presentation of this game. I loved the CG cinematics and all the cutscenes. I loved how Samus was kinda cute during
the Adam sacrifice scene as well as during the second ending.

I didn't think this game butchered her character at all. I can't think of any other game other than Smash Bros. where Samus was as brutal or relentless as in Other M. People complain about Metroid turning into Halo but they have no problem with Samus being a female Master Chief. It's silly.

The Verdict

If you couldn't tell already, I had a great time with this game and it's definitely a 9.X out of 10 from me.

There were so many little touches that I thought was awesome too. Here's just a bunch of other random stuff that I thought were neat.

• - Samus has an animation for going over small obstacles. I don't know why but this impressed me greatly. All the animation in this game was superb.
  • - The transition from in-game to CG cutscene and back are so well done. Most of the time I was like "wait this is the game again?" Spectacular.
  • -
    Remember when El Pollo Loco attacked you? If you listen closely, the music that plays is a remix of Ridley's theme LINK. I noticed that on my second play through and I realized how fucking clever that was 'cause at that time no one would have suspected it was him. The creatures also have the same tail too. Great foreshadowing.
  • - I had no idea that when you successfully dodge using the sense move, your beam will be charged to max automatically. This saved me immensely while fighting
    Phantoon.
  • - I love the way Samus roundhouse kicks some of the enemies. You can let them attack you or you can cancel that have her do a counter.
  • - The scene when you get to
    Sector 0 is just so well done. I loved the perspectives, the music, and how everything unfolded. Brilliant. Here's the video if you want to refresh your memory. It's a goddamn shame that was nothing more than a cocktease and was quite a letdown to be honest.
  • - I love how after you get the screw attack,
    jumping = win button.
    Fuck those electric monkeys.
  • - I love the speed boost and the music and everything that came with it. She looked like a rocket.
  • - Every single "QTE" sections were awesome.
    The avalance, lava whale,
    even the enemy battles where it started out like that were well done.
I really hope Metroid follows this formula from now on. I just want them to get rid of the Waldo moments, have more awesome music and a more intricate fighting mechanics.

TL;DR: Game is awesome, my current GOTY.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Mael said:
one of my problems was that the game was actually too forgiving and since I'm not adamant on my views I was more than willing than to give it another shot and see if I could be wrong or not.
Heck it worked for Castlevania so why not for Other M.
Turns out that no it didn't work at all.
I'm pretty sure the problem I have here doesn't come from me.

I was infinitely skeptical of the game before trying it.

I have my issues with the controls, design, and story.

But I can't even imagine why you hate this game so much.
Calling it a turd is hyperbole.

If you enjoyed other metroid titles, there is no way you can go 360 and hate this.
It is pretty much Fusion 3D. I have already enjoyed it way more than fusion and there are many many things I hope would be different about this game.

Is hard mode just too unforgiving or something?

effingvic said:
I really hope Metroid follows this formula from now on. I just want them to get rid of the Waldo moments, have more awesome music and a more intricate fighting mechanics.

TL;DR: Game is awesome, my current GOTY.
Really, the only bad thing I can honestly say about this game are the Waldo moments. I'm really hoping for a sequel. How well has it sold (I mean, outside Japan, because Metroid games always bomb over there...)?

Kard8p3

LSauchelli said:
Really, the only bad thing I can honestly say about this game are the Waldo moments. I'm really hoping for a sequel. How well has it sold (I mean, outside Japan, because Metroid games always bomb over there...)?

We'll probably have to wait till next month to find out how well it sells in the US.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
effingvic - Out of curiosity, how old are you? Please be honest. I'm curious because Nintendo is trying to appeal to a younger audience and I wonder if that might have something to do with why older gamers like myself feel disconnected with it. For the record, I'm 31 and have been playing the Metroid titles since they came out. The only game I haven't played out of the series is Metroid Pinball.

Kard8p3

MadOdorMachine said:
effingvic - Out of curiosity, how old are you? Please be honest. I'm curious because Nintendo is trying to appeal to a younger audience and I wonder if that might have something to do with why older gamers like myself feel disconnected with it. For the record, I'm 31 and have been playing the Metroid titles since they came out. The only game I haven't played out of the series is Metroid Pinball.

I don't think age has a thing to do with it. I'm 21 and have played all the games in the series and love this game. The 12 year old brother of a friend of mine hates this game yet his 45 year old dad who's played the series since the first came out thinks this is the best one.

MadOdorMachine said:

I'm 22. My first Metroid was Prime, then I went back to the older games.

I'm gonna start up Super soon since I have it on VC. My first playthrough, I thought it was fun but just that. I never got past Maridia so I'm going to restart it since I don't remember a thing. I have a feeling nostalgia is the reason why so many people are so defensive about Super Metroid, just like how I feel that Prime is perfect.

GrotesqueBeauty said:
You know, Metroid Prime Pinball is actually surprisingly enjoyable imo. It doesn't really present itself as a "proper" Metroid game on any level (*cough*hunters*cough*), which makes it easier to swallow. The physics feel right, the tables are well designed, and the fan service is pretty good if you're into Metroid Prime.

Agreed, Pinball was a nice little distraction.

MadOdorMachine said:
You know, Metroid Prime Pinball is actually surprisingly enjoyable imo. It doesn't really present itself as a "proper" Metroid game on any level (*cough*hunters*cough*), which makes it easier to swallow. The physics feel right, the tables are well designed, and the fan service is pretty good if you're into Metroid Prime.

Kard8p3

effingvic said:

I'm gonna start up Super soon since I have it on VC. My first playthrough, I thought it was fun but just that. I never got past Maridia so I'm going to restart it since I don't remember a thing. I have a feeling nostalgia is the reason why so many people are so defensive about Super Metroid, just like how I feel that Prime is perfect.

At some point you should try fusion. It's one of the best imo and since it's the next game in the time line after Other M it'd be interesting to know your reaction to some things since you played Other M first.

Kard8p3 said:
At some point you should try fusion. It's one of the best imo and since it's the next game in the time line after Other M it'd be interesting to know your reaction to some things since you played Other M first.

Oh definitely. I had to choose between Zero Mission and Fusion way back when and since I was cash strapped I went for ZM since it was technically the first in the series. Then again, that choice was like asking me if I wanted ice cream or cake for dessert so either way I'd have won :D

I wish I had that GBA -> GCN device. I'd love to play Fusion on the TV. The graphics look amazing.

Kard8p3

effingvic said:
Oh definitely. I had to choose between Zero Mission and Fusion way back when and since I was cash strapped I went for ZM since it was technically the first in the series. Then again, that choice was like asking me if I wanted ice cream or cake for dessert so either way I'd have won :D

I wish I had that GBA -> GCN device. I'd love to play Fusion on the TV. The graphics look amazing.

Yeah when the gameboy player came out for the GC the first game I decided to Playthrough was Fusion. It truly is a beautiful game and much like this game it's got a bit of a creepy atmosphere to it.

effingvic said:

I actually prefer Fusion and MZM on the small screen. The Gameboy Player is pretty handy but the visuals tend to loose their crispness, especially if you play with it scaled to full screen.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I can't stand playing handheld games at anything but native res.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
effingvic said:

Agreed, Pinball was a nice little distraction.
Nostalgia might be a reason people get defensive about SM, but speaking strictly from a gameplay perspective, it's one of the best games ever made. Metroid Prime is a great game as well, but even it has some flaws. As far as Other M goes, it's my GOTY so far too, but I'd only rate it about a 7.5 out of 10.

I'm not singling you out or trying to pick on you because you're not the only one who has done this, but I just don't see how anyone could rate this as a 9 or above. I don't know if I'm getting older, or if I'm losing my mind, but if this game is a 9, what the hell would people rate a game like Metroid Prime, Super Metroid, Zelda:OoT, RE4 or any other game that was damn near perfect? Metacritic has an average of 79 and I would say that's a pretty accurate summary of where the game should stand.

effingvic said:
Here are my complete thoughts on this game after playing it twice then going back to hard mode..

TL;DR: Game is awesome, my current GOTY.[/B]

damn, i agree with (just about) everything you said. it was like i wrote it all. love this game.

that piano theme you linked to is just great. that played during the greatest cinematic: the post-game scene with adam.

i also agree with your opinions on Super and the love it gets, by the way.

So I started playing this game today

- hoshit cutscenes are badly written/voice acted

- I thought Adam gave a pretty good reason why he authorized powers on his call

Adam: We can't really explode this door because we're on a space station and doing it wrong could kill us all.

Samus: WHAT *launches a missile*

- I missed agile Samus.

- I can't say I like the switch to first person thing, but the game was pretty clearly built around it. It's not really frustrating. My biggest problems were trying to control it like Metroid Prime 3.

- The animation is good, the textures are simple, the models are probably the best on the Wii.

effingvic said:

Nah. Super really is that damn good.

Give Echoes a try. It's even better than Prime.

thecouncil said:
damn, i agree with (just about) everything you said. it was like i wrote it all. love this game.

that piano theme you linked to is just great. that played during the greatest cinematic:
the post-game scene with adam.

Might want to spoiler text some of that. I did not know that.

That said, I'm going to leave this thread until I beat the game.

Boney

Banned
_Alkaline_ said:

The thing with Echoes is that, although the puzzles are much more ingenious than Prime 1, and the harder difficulty is definately welcomed, I don't think the map is that well designed as Prime, and I don't even think Prime's map is that good. The second dimension hurts it more than helps it, but it's a great differentiator from the rest of the trilogy. The purple.. agh..

But yeah, this is my GOTY as well, and I'd give it an 8.5 maybe a 9. It's riddled with flaws, but the overall picture, it's one of the most ingenious action titles from recent memory. Maintains lots of the series staples while infusioning with high speed octane action. Not to mention all the camara work, definately the best point in the game.

rhino4evr

In sector 2 now and the game almost immediatly became more awesome thanks to the speed booster...wow shinespark in 3D Is really incredible.

Also I like that there seems to be a lot of item pick ups. I feel like every other room I find one, and they are all pretty well hidden too.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
MadOdorMachine said:

I'm 28 and I feel disconnected as well. I really, really hate what they did with the Samus character. One thing I really missed was finding the different weapons upgrades myself. It just seemed that Sakamoto/Team Ninja went out of their way to be restrictive in every way possible (invisible walls, authorizing weapons, no nunchuck, no moving in visor mode).

I also feel that the Prime Trilogy absolutely destroys this game.

I'm probably one of the few that believes that if the Metroid name/characters weren't applied to this game it would have gotten average reviews at best.

I'm gonna have to dig out my old DS Lite and hunt a copy of both Fusion and ZM. Should I start Super again or play that after I've played everything else?

MadOdorMachine said:
Nostalgia might be a reason people get defensive about SM, but speaking strictly from a gameplay perspective, it's one of the best games ever made. Metroid Prime is a great game as well, but even it has some flaws. As far as Other M goes, it's my GOTY so far too, but I'd only rate it about a 7.5 out of 10.

I'm not singling you out or trying to pick on you because you're not the only one who has done this, but I just don't see how anyone could rate this as a 9 or above. I don't know if I'm getting older, or if I'm losing my mind, but if this game is a 9, what the hell would people rate a game like Metroid Prime, Super Metroid, Zelda:OoT, RE4 or any other game that was damn near perfect? Metacritic has an average of 79 and I would say that's a pretty accurate summary of where the game should stand.

Ratings are pretty meaningless for me. The only thing I care about in games is whether or not I'm enjoying it. Sure, things like poly count, animation, etc. are icing on the cake but if it isn't fun at the core, then it fails as a game.

High ratings don't really mean shit either. Killzone 2 is one of the highest rated games this generation and I thought it was absolute shit. I swear I should see a doctor because my hate for this game knows no bounds :lol Same with GTA4, though it at least had the novelty of being GTA and doing dumb things for a while.

Alternatively, games like Wii Sports aren't even rated that well but it's definitely been one of my favorite game software this generation. I've put more hours into that game than all the Pokemon games combined. Another meh game that I enjoyed a lot was Radiata Stories on the PS2 last generation.

As for rating the Metroids, Prime and Corruption are a 10 for me. ZM is definitely up there as well. However, what I played of Super, I'd give it around 8.5 or so. It's a great game but I just don't see the brilliance. Other M wins my praise solely because I've had a lot of fun playing this game. It's like I was playing NSMBWii or Mario Kart with my buddies; I was grinning ear to ear.

thecouncil said:

that piano theme you linked to is just great. that played during the greatest cinematic: the post-game scene with adam.

oh yeah, i totally forgot it. another reason why i loved that little scene. the music just made it.

Boney said:
But yeah, this is my GOTY as well, and I'd give it an 8.5 maybe a 9. It's riddled with flaws, but the overall picture, it's one of the most ingenious action titles from recent memory. Maintains lots of the series staples while infusioning with high speed octane action. Not to mention all the camara work, definately the best point in the game.

Shit how did I forget about that. The camera was perfect. So perfect I forgot completely about it :lol

_Alkaline_ said:

I've added Trilogy to my Gamefly queue so I'll probably give it a shot.

Boney said:
The thing with Echoes is that, although the puzzles are much more ingenious than Prime 1, and the harder difficulty is definately welcomed, I don't think the map is that well designed as Prime, and I don't even think Prime's map is that good. The second dimension hurts it more than helps it, but it's a great differentiator from the rest of the trilogy. The purple.. agh..

The actual map or the design of Aether?

Boney

Banned
Plinko said:
I'm probably one of the few that believes that if the Metroid name/characters weren't applied to this game it would have gotten average reviews at best.
You probably don't realize, but that's kinda offensive. You're implying we're not rational when it comes to this game...

by the way, did you read the manga? most that did, already knew how the character was gonna be portrayed so mostly didn't have a problem or was put as a minor complain, but I can totally see how it can detracts if you're not expecting this.

_Alkaline_ said:
The actual map or the design of Aether?
The actual map design, Aether as a whole is outstanding. Much better than Tallon IV.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
replaying Echoes, the biggest downside is the lack of continues when you die on a boss.

going back to a save point pisses me off to no end.

edit: OMG FIXED DEATH APOSTROPHE

Kard8p3

Plinko said:
I'm 28 and I feel disconnected as well. I really, really hate what they did with the Samus character.

I also feel that the Prime Trilogy absolutely destroys this game.

It seems that the majority of the people are harsher on this game because it's Metroid. Most people expect nearly flawless games from this series so when you get a game in the series with some noticeable flaws it gets bashed a bit more than it would if it were a new IP. This is one of my favorite games in the series and I'd probably give it an 8.5. Still if it were a new IP I'd be a little more forgiving since it would be the first game and thus flaws would be expected as they try to figure out what works and what doesn't.

Plinko said:

Well, yeah. I loved it more so because I saw a character that I love doing super cool shit. If it wasn't a Metroid title, it'd be just some random person doing super cool shit. The fact that it was Samus doing said cool shit made the experience even better.

Rez said:
replaying Echoes, it's biggest downside is the lack of continues when you die on a boss.

going back to a save point pisses me off to no end.
It is amazing how checkpointing is still not a science

Even games that get it right still sometimes get parts of it wrong, like dying and choosing to retry where you died, but having to completely reload the area or watch a 5-10 second pre-battle thing.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
ShockingAlberto said:
It is amazing how checkpointing is still not a science

Even games that get it right still sometimes get parts of it wrong, like dying and choosing to retry where you died, but having to completely reload the area or watch a 5-10 second pre-battle thing.
in games with save-points, I can kind of understand them going back to a moment where you can conceivably retrace your steps to a save point, but yeah, no excuses in games like gears of War

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Boney said:
You probably don't realize, but that's kinda offensive. You're implying we're not rational when it comes to this game...

If anybody takes offense to that I apologize--I didn't mean it to be.

I just think that some Nintendo games are rated a little higher because of the franchises attached--this included.

I get the argument that some would be more harsh on it because it was Metroid, but I just didn't find the gameplay anything more than average at best.

I really had no complaints with the story itself, which was what brought down a lot of review scores. I did not read the manga (and I can't imagine more than 5% of who bought this game actually did) so I didn't know what was coming with Samus's character, so maybe that did hurt my experience a little.

Top Bottom