• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

Jigsaw

Banned
maniac 73% score,some pros and cons (it's translated from another board so don't ask me for more details)

pros

-unique gameplay
-reviewer couldn't get into it until late in the game,however it was fun then

cons

-almost no exploration
-over the shoulder view sucks,too slow
-almost no scanning
-unprecise jumping
-too many checkpoints,they also heal you completely
-no health regenerating items anymore
-metroid prime looked better
-abilities will be unlocked by adam and are not found throughout the world
-will split the fanbase

Jigsaw said:
maniac 73% score,some pros and cons (it's translated from another board so don't ask me for more details)

pros

-unique gameplay

cons

-almost no exploration
-almost no scanning
-unprecise jumping
-will split the fanbase
:^/

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Snuggler said:
Yeah, I think it looks pretty slick (sigh) for a Wii game. It looks like Metroid all the way through and it runs very smooth.
Why did "for a Wii game" turn into a bad phrase? The tech is 10 years old. It's a perfectly logical thing to say.

Snaku

Banned
Jigsaw said:

pros

-unique gameplay

cons

-almost no exploration
-almost no scanning
-unprecise jumping
-will split the fanbase

Seems to be reviewed against the merits of the Prime series, and not as its own game.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
BocoDragon said:
Why did "for a Wii game" turn into a bad phrase? The tech is 10 years old. It's a perfectly logical thing to say.

That's true. I just get tired of using the phrase because it seems to come off like I'm compromising or saying it doesn't look "that" good or whatever, even though some Wii games like Mario Galaxy rival HD games when it comes to art and performance.

Snuggler said:
It looks like Metroid all the way through and it runs very smooth.

I'm not getting a Metroid vibe from it at all. But it does look like a very good game. Just not a Metroid game. Some of it does, but these
big wide-open jungle-like areas
seemed really boring and uninspired.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
brandonh83 said:
I'm not getting a Metroid vibe from it at all. But it does look like a very good game. Just not a Metroid game. Some of it does, but these
big wide-open jungle-like areas
seemed really boring and uninspired.

Yeah, well I guess my experience with the Metroid games is probably limited compared to you guys but it terms of the environments and the designs of the enemies and samus and everything it seemed to capture the Metroid art style. But I guess I'm being more positive than I normally would be, most likely because I've already bought the game and I feel the need to validate my decision.

BocoDragon

Snuggler said:
That's true. I just get tired of using the phrase because it seems to come off like I'm compromising or saying it doesn't look "that" good or whatever, even though some Wii games like Mario Galaxy rival HD games when it comes to art and performance.
Oh you're not alone... I've heard more than one podcast turn that phrase into a taboo.... when I think it only makes logical sense.

Wii is not equal to 360, PS3 or PC... why should we pretend that it is?

Snuggler said:
Yeah, well I guess my experience with the Metroid games is probably limited compared to you guys but it terms of the environments and the designs of the enemies and samus and everything it seemed to capture the Metroid art style. But I guess I'm being more positive than I normally would be, most likely because I've already bought the game and I feel the need to validate my decision.

Well up above I said "this part is doing it for me" but that kinda quickly went away. I think some of it looks very good and every now and then it's sorta Metroid-ish, but overall I'm getting kinda skeptical about it.

My god these cutscenes are fucking horrendous.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
This is very unfortunate. I'm not even going to feign outrage at the cutscenes. Hit the skip button and all will be well.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Snaku said:
Seems to be reviewed against the merits of the Prime series, and not as its own game.

Im betting Other M will get this a lot. Its somewhat valid I guess. I, for one, think Retro's artistry in the Prime games is by far some of the best in the entire gaming medium period, so that's always going to be a little bit of a niggle. Even looking at the trailers I dont think it totally fits 'Super Metroid', something which Prime did, but I'd say even Fusion and Zero Mission deviated from that style a little.

The main problem is that with gaming the way it is today there are a lot of new gamers who, I suspect, had never played Metroid until Metroid Prime, or even the trilogy. There's an eight year gap between Super and Prime, so understandably a lot of people were introduced to the franchise then.

Take the reviewer's complaint that there isn't a lot of scanning. Scanning wasn't a big part of Metroid until Prime came along, and from the footage I had seen I never expected Other M to adopt the feature. So, is it really an issue worth complaining about?

I guess thats just the nature of a game like this. Metroid is, already, pretty varied in its style and gameplay. Prime is different to Super, Corruption does its own things differently, and Fusion is also a bit different. To no surprise, Other M is trying new things as well and isn't just "Super in 3D" (a term I feel is more appropriately applied to Prime), nor is it "Prime in 3rd person". Its a crazy hybrid of ideas from all the Metroid games as well as its own.

And thats why I'm not watching the stream, and why I've been on a bit of a blackout. I dont want to play this with any knowledge of what it contains or expectations. I'll make comparisons as I play, but the fresher it is the more I'll enjoy it in the long run.

I mean seriously, Rez, if the art is already bothering you stop fucking watching. Seriously. I know the art has been one of your main criticisms since the start, and its fair, but assuming you want to buy and enjoy the game stop hurting the title by watching somebody else. Getting sick of the art now has already somewhat hurt the enjoyment you'll get when you finally play.

Busaiku

Snaku said:
Besides scanning, looking worse than the Prime games, and the fanbase, how are those elements related only to Metroid Prime?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The cutscenes keep getting worst and the visual design keeps looking bland.
EmCeeGramr said:
I like the over-the-shoulder parts... :(
I don't mind them either.

BorkBork said:
These over the shoulder parts ARE really damn slow and pointless.

yeah really pointless , so dumb...

So much backtracking as well.

I understand this is a story driven game , but god damn.. so many cutscenes :/

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
"You ok, princess?"

*playful punch*

Samus Aran, ladies and gentlemen.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
EmCeeGramr said:
This is like a million times better than the beginning of the game and "THE BABY" and you know it.
I missed the beginning. I've been dropping in and out of the stream.

BocoDragon

Rez said:
"You ok, princess?"

*playful punch*

Samus Aran, ladies and gentlemen.
To be fair... no characterization of Samus would ever satisfy after such a 24 year "fill in your own interpretation of her personality" situation.

Maybe she's a cold bitch, a playful flirt, ultra smart, stupid ditz... there's previously been no confirmation in any way.

I don't know if it has been mentioned yet, but there has leaked an iso of the file on to the internets... Damn you, pirates, for tempting me :lol

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
that sequence was pretty cool. shame about the jumping toward the camera bit.

I don't know why I'm still watching this. I ought to stop. I'm just waiting for a slap me in the face 'you must buy this' moment.

I think my Ice Beam complaint from a few weeks ago just got validated, EmCee. =p

Kard8p3

Well I watched more than I should've so I'm stopping now. For me everything looked great and the stream served to get me even more hyped for the game. The cutscenes are fine, the graphics are fine, the game is really smooth, and was digging the behind the back sections, and the last cutscene I watched before stopping was pretty cool. Can't wait till whenever I'm able to get this.

BocoDragon

Rez said:
I don't know why I'm still watching this. I ought to stop. I'm just waiting for a slap me in the face 'you must buy this' moment.

I turned it off... there wasn't one. This is a slow-burn kind of game if it has any merit at all.... but then again, that's Metroid for you.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
It's a shame about the negativity about the story but I pretty much always zone out during cutscenes anyways. It's an expectation that I won't be into the story, regardless of the game, if anything catches my attention it's a surprise. Or at least thats my rationalization for right now.

Combine said:
So wait, people are spoiling themselves watching a stream rather than playing it for themselves fresh?

People these days.
Well one way is free and instant and the other way requires $50+tax+going out to get the game if you didn't order it. If the reviews coming in are middling and you're not a fanboy who'll make up justifications for any flaws then it makes sense to protect your investment.

sfried

AniHawk said:
This is a pro, not a con.
After playing the 2D Metroids, I'm bound to agree that yes, scanning for 100% completion is a pain, especially when some scans are gone forever. Prime 1 would be the worst candidate.

The stream just stopped. It seems it really is Ninja Gaiden meets Metroid and that the emphasis on action meant that the tutorial in the beginning was meant so you can efficiently kill all the enemies with the Sense move/Lethal Strike as it deals more damage than regular charge shot and even missile in some cases.

The whole exploration thing is a bit questionable, but it seems there are a lot of missile expansions and energy tanks everywhere.

Kard8p3

sfried said:
After playing the 2D Metroids, I'm bound to agree that yes, scanning for 100% completion is a pain, especially when some scans are gone forever. Prime 1 would be the worst candidate.

The stream just stopped. It seems it really is Ninja Gaiden meets Metroid and that the emphasis on action meant that the tutorial in the beginning was meant so you can efficiently kill all the enemies with the Sense move/Lethal Strike as it deals more damage than regular charge shot and even missile in some cases.

The whole exploration thing is a bit questionable, but it seems there are a lot of missile expansions and energy tanks everywhere.

Yeah and the guy in the stream didn't really go out of his way to explore. There were alot of items I saw that he didn't get and probably even more that I didn't see.

Spike

ConradCervantes said:
Any explanation as to why this releases on a Tuesday in the Americas? It was my recollection that Nintendo drops their major releases on Sundays? I only realized this yesterday, and it made me angry because I WANT THIS GAME SO FUCKING BADLY.

Perhaps it's because they don't consider it a major release?

ntropy

Of All Trades said:
Well one way is free and instant and the other way requires $50+tax+going out to get the game if you didn't order it. If the reviews coming in are middling and you're not a fanboy who'll make up justifications for any flaws then it makes sense to protect your investment.
you obviously have not thought this through. keyword: "any."

I think I'm giving up hope that Nintendo World will have a nice launch party with many Metroid goodies. So I might just pre-order it...

I'm starting to get a tiny bit worried because of some reviews, though. Either way, I know I'm gonna like this game, so I'm trying to not think about them.

Combine

Banned
I just finished re-playing Metroid Fusion (haven't played the Prime games in a while either), so I think I'm about set for the type of atmosphere this Metroid game will be about and what to expect from it (if it's true that this game is best closely compared to Fusion).

I really hope Nintendo re-releases the GBA games for 3DSWare

They don't even have to be 3D. I'd love to just have Metroid on some hardware I can take anywhere without having to dig out my GBA.

Combine said:
So wait, people are spoiling themselves watching a stream rather than playing it for themselves fresh?

People these days.

I agree. I don't understand this age of youtube-playthroughs and sites like justin tv, etc. I mean, it's one thing to watch someone play a game if you have already played it, but to watch a game you are generally excited about on a live steam, essentially spoiling everything, is very weird to me and unnatural.

Yeah, Other M is the first console Metroid in like, forever, so I understand the anticipation. But knowing so much about the game completely destroys any initial excitement when you first pop the game in. Just chill out and stop watching this shit. It's out in a couple days!!! I am sure there are PLENTY of games you haven't played yet that could keep you busy like Ys 7 and Shadow Tower Abyss.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
ShockingAlberto said:
I really hope Nintendo re-releases the GBA games for 3DSWare

They don't even have to be 3D. I'd love to just have Metroid on some hardware I can take anywhere without having to dig out my GBA.

T'would be nice. Not to go too far off topic, but I hope the 3DS has some kind of virtual console feature so we can play SNES equivalent and prior games on it so we don't need to track down old consoles. I just like to have all in one systems, when possible.

Top Bottom