• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

Spike

ShockingAlberto said:
I really hope Nintendo re-releases the GBA games for 3DSWare

They don't even have to be 3D. I'd love to just have Metroid on some hardware I can take anywhere without having to dig out my GBA.

DSLite?

But I do agree. I want a Metroid 2 remake, too!

sfried

Regulus Tera said:
Samus is the worst narrator ever.
That's why she hardly speaks.

The downside is you would not know what she's thinking. And I think it still goes with much of the character people have invisioned her: her actions pretty much speak for itself.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
sfried said:
That's why she hardly speaks.

The downside is you would not know what she's thinking. And I think it still goes with much of the character people have invisioned her: her actions pretty much speak for itself.

The whole schtick with her explaining her backstory with Adam should be relegated to "show, not tell".

She's basically telling us "he cares a lot for me cause he cares a lot for me". Oh, 'kay?

Beth Cyra

Regulus Tera said:
The whole schtick with her explaining her backstory with Adam should be relegated to "show, not tell".

She's basically telling us "he cares a lot for me cause he cares a lot for me". Oh, 'kay?

I for one don't mind this approach.

It is what she is thinking and this is what I wanted because I wanted Samus to finally be a character, plus it has the upside of removing having to hear Adam and the other fools talk alot of the time as well as have it so Samus isn't talking to them.

Or atleast I am not hearing them talk to each other when she cuts away and we hear her thoughts.

miksar

The thing that all items are highlighted on the map kills exploration for me. Also Morph Ball controls are kind of odd and even bomb jump is dumbed down as it seems.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
TruePrime said:
I for one don't mind this approach.

It is what she is thinking and this is what I wanted because I wanted Samus to finally be a character, plus it has the upside of removing having to hear Adam and the other fools talk alot of the time as well as have it so Samus isn't talking to them.

Or atleast I am not hearing them talk to each other when she cuts away and we hear her thoughts.

I would agree were it not for the fact that I'm sure Anthony is totally the party guy and he would say far more interesting shit than Samus.

Then again, I've only watched up until after the first boss.

sfried

Regulus Tera said:

But that won't leave any room for more ambiguity about their past. Besides, it doesn't seem as central as the whole thing going on with
the Galactic Federation using bio weapons. In fact, part of me is saying that this is more Metroid Gear Solid mixed with Team Ninja instead of straight up Ninja Gaiden + Metroid

I downloaded Super Metroid while I'm waiting for Other: M and perhaps I missed something vital but.....what reason do they give for Samus not having her powers at the beginning of Super Metroid?

I know in Other:M she needs "permission" to use her abilities but it seems in Super she just fought Ridley and then flew to Zebes with no reason as to why she can only shoot her basic arm canon.

Poyunch

Incitemaybe said:
I downloaded Super Metroid while I'm waiting for Other: M and perhaps I missed something vital but.....what reason do they give for Samus not having her powers at the beginning of Super Metroid?

I know in Other:M she needs "permission" to use her abilities but it seems in Super she just fought Ridley and then flew to Zebes with no reason as to why she can only shoot her basic arm canon.
It's a series tradition. The only other explanation would be "Cuz".

Diffense

I watched a bit on youtube up until just after the bug boss that was shown in demos.
I definitely didn't spoil myself because that was all shown before at some point.

But the opening is already pretty routine to me so I guarantee you'll just want to get through what you've seen already.
That's why I couldn't fathom watching several hours of gameplay the way some of you have!
Obviously, the more you've seen, the less impact all of that will have when you play.

With the memory of the Primes fresh and the last console Metroid being 16 years old I think this game to take a beating, especially from younger reviewers.
I'm sure it'll have flaws and there will be justified criticisms but I expect many cases of it being punished for lacking elements of the Primes.

In a sense, what it means to be Metroid was redefined by the Prime TRILOGY and different expectations are associated with the brand now.
I think this is the inherent danger in allowing franchises to explore territory outside of the usual for extended periods.

How interesting if a new game from the original creator gets met with general disinterest.

So besides the Original, is Super Metroid the only installment to claim "Cuz" as the reason for the loss of abilities?

I've played all three Prime games, most of Super a few years ago, Zero Mission(Dabbled in the original NES version as a kid), and most of Fusion (even longer ago).

It seems a little out of place to set up Super with some story but not give any reason for only having the basic canon.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Prime seemed like a cuz, I remember having to recover all my shit in that game.
Metroid is like Zelda, you KNOW you're gonna have to reclaim all of your items every time you play it. It would be kind of pointless if you had all of it from the start. It would be like start game -> final boss.

Ya, I understand it's a series staple, and perhaps no reason for the loss in Super may be better than the "I slammed into an elevator really hard" reason given in Prime :)

Perhaps my Google skills are rusty cause I'm not getting any answers on that front :-(

Brain rusty confirmed, the Metroid Wiki provided that:

"Currently, Super Metroid is the only game in which Samus starts off with not a single upgrade in her possession, and no explanation is given."

'Cuz indeed :)

AniHawk

Incitemaybe said:
So besides the Original, is Super Metroid the only installment to claim "Cuz" as the reason for the loss of abilities?

I've played all three Prime games, most of Super a few years ago, Zero Mission(Dabbled in the original NES version as a kid), and most of Fusion (even longer ago).

It seems a little out of place to set up Super with some story but not give any reason for only having the basic canon.

Supposedly, there was going to be a game after Corruption and before Super but it never happened.

Nessus

Incitemaybe said:

Metroid II, Super Metroid, and, if you want to get really picky, every single game in the series.

Not one of the games starts you off with what Samus had at the end of the previous game.

Personally I think it's entirely unimportant.

Gaining abilities and going from extremely weak to god-like by the end of the game is the quintessential Metroid gameplay.

I'd rather they not even bring it up than have some ham-fisted explanation shoehorned into the first 5 minutes.

Fusion is the only time the loss of her abilities is relatively organically integrated with the narrative.

Instro

I think Samus sold all her upgrades prior to Super Metroid. I mean come on, Space Pirates were supposed to be dead, and the last Metroid is in captivity. Why bog down your suit with too many useless extras.

Fusion by far had the best explanation though for sure.

I can't believe so many people are watching streams and playthrough. I would never spoil myself to such a degree with a game like this. It's one thing to watch trailers and demos from expos, but to follow several minutes of the gameplay is taking away from your own playing experience (even if nothing of importances happens, you've still been spoiled that nothing of importance happens once you play through that area yourself).

Oh it's up to each person what they want to do, I just hope no one spoils things in the thread anytime soon.

miksar said:
The thing that all items are highlighted on the map kills exploration for me. Also Morph Ball controls are kind of odd and even bomb jump is dumbed down as it seems.

Nearly all Metroids give an indication that an item is in the room, whether it be Prime's whirrrrrrrrr or map markers in numerous 2D Metroids.

Metroid Killer said:
I can't believe so many people are watching streams and playthrough. I would never spoil myself to such a degree with a game like this. It's one thing to watch trailers and demos from expos, but to follow several minutes of the gameplay is taking away from your own playing experience (even if nothing of importances happens, you've still been spoiled that nothing of importance happens once you play through that area yourself).

Oh it's up to each person what they want to do, I just hope no one spoils things in the thread anytime soon.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Instro said:
I think Samus sold all her upgrades prior to Super Metroid. I mean come on, Space Pirates were supposed to be dead, and the last Metroid is in captivity. Why bog down your suit with too many useless extras.

Fusion by far had the best explanation though for sure.
Prime 1 had such a dumb reason. Samus gets blasted by Space Pirates and a big ass monster spitting globs of acid at you and she's a-okay but once she gets flung backwards into a wall she loses everything.

Diffense

Is there any chance review scores could be spoiler tagged
like this
...lol
A separate thread would be great but that's probably not going to happen.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Meh, it's one thing to watch the entire stream and see the whole game from start to finish, that'll spoil it, but watching just a portion of it will give you a better impression of the game than any teaser or preview with quick cuts and editing all that. You can see someone actually playing the real game, it's a big difference.

Jangaroo said:
Prime 1 had such a dumb reason. Samus gets blasted by Space Pirates and a big ass monster spitting globs of acid at you and she's a-okay but once she gets flung backwards into a wall she loses everything.

It's actually electrical interference that makes her lose her abilities in Prime, but yeah, it did feel like a bit of a reach.

Echoes did it much better, particularly in the way that the bosses used your own abilities against you.

^But we've already seen people play it during E3... I'm much more willing to watch someone play through a demo taken out of context, than seeing someone play parts that I'm gonna play in the exact same context. Of course it's about where you draw the line...

Samus started with a lot her abilities in Mp3, right? I can't really remember the opening in detail, did she lose powers when she got the ped suit?

Metroid Killer said:
^But we've already seen people play it during E3... I'm much more willing to watch someone play through a demo taken out of context, than seeing someone play parts that I'm gonna play in the exact same context. Of course it's about where you draw the line...

Samus started with a lot her abilities in Mp3, right? I can't really remember the opening in detail, did she lose powers when she got the ped suit?

She starts with the basics, like morph ball, bombs, charge beam, etc. But stuff like missiles, grapple beam, etc you have to find.

Diffense

Snuggler said:
Meh, it's one thing to watch the entire stream and see the whole game from start to finish, that'll spoil it, but watching just a portion of it will give you a better impression of the game than any teaser or preview with quick cuts and editing all that. You can see someone actually playing the real game, it's a big difference.

The thing is, you only know when you're spoiled after you've been spoiled.
I wanted a sense of the game's flow as well so I watched someone playing the first 30 minutes.
I stopped the moment it got into territory I hadn't seen before in demos (aka a little bit of spoilage).
Watching for two hours then having to sit and play through all of that in a game where discovery is 3/4 of the fun?
Ha! No Way!

_Alkaline_ said:
Echoes did it much better, particularly in the way that the bosses used your own abilities against you.
Yeah that was neatly integrated in the thin red line of Echoes about dark and light, Samus vs Dark Samus. All the guardians could be seen as parts of Samus taken to a polar opposite with Dark Samus as the grand finale as a complete opposite of Samus.

miksar

_Alkaline_ said:
Nearly all Metroids give an indication that an item is in the room, whether it be Prime's whirrrrrrrrr or map markers in numerous 2D Metroids.
Yes, but they didn't show exactly where the items are and this is the fun part - to figure it out.

miksar said:
Yes, but they didn't show exactly where the items are and this is the fun part - to figure it out.

Eh, it's still virtually the same thing.

Recent 2D Metroids have a circle where the item is held. And the whirrrrrrr in the Prime series is more audible the closer you are to it.

Other M isn't much different at all. You're made aware of the item's presence, but you still have to figure out how to get to it.

Most expansions in the entire series really aren't that complicated to find, but most do have a neat puzzle in order to get to it. Other M isn't any different.

Diffense said:
Is there any chance review scores could be spoiler tagged
like this
...lol
A separate thread would be great but that's probably not going to happen.
Spoiler tagging review scores in an OP is a bannable offense. I don't know why...

I don't know if spoiler tagging review scores in a thread is bannable, though. In other words, avoid the OP, I guess.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
It's a real shame all the abilities are 'authorized'. Lazy, lazy fiction.

blackMamba1187 said:
Lol, I opened the stream just in time to see
1z66vjt.jpg

He is spending more time bitching about the brightness to record the game then actually playing the game.

Edit: Shit this pre-recorded, I thought I was watching it live for like the past 5 minutes. :lol

farnham said:
The Spider Guardian always gets a lot of rep for being the hardest boss of Echoes, but on Hard Mode it was defintely the Boost Guardian which game me the biggest headache. So many fucking hazards in the battle, that fucking boost attack was almost impossible to avoid, and since it was pretty early on the game you didn't have a lot of health and just touching that piece of blob would take away huge chunks of health away.

farnham

Banned
is spider guardian that pill bug thing ?

that part was hilariously frustrating but at least i could calculate how much tries i had

AniHawk

Rez said:
It's a real shame all the abilities are 'authorized'. Lazy, lazy fiction.

Sounds more like lazy design. Okay, they restricted themselves designwise by saying this has to progress kinda like a movie, and since she already has her superpowers from Super Metroid, they don't want her to start off all crazy like. Why not just design a game with those super powers already, and just do really interesting things with the level design? Or how about unlocking brand new powers that make the old ones unnecessary.

The other thing they did that kinda hurts it is place the game in a setting where it isn't likely that Samus could find Chozo-made power ups.

kiryogi

Banned
The only thing frustrating about the spider guardian for me was that I forgot to scan the fricken critter from the outside .-.

Top Bottom