• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

heringer

Diffense said:
The difference between showing a skill in your inventory while preventing you from using it and not having it show at all is entirely psychological.
But yeah...game ruined...lol
Well, as are most effects of a videogame on you. :p

It doesn't ruin anything, but I can see why some people might be a little turned off by this decision.

Guevara

XenoRaven said:
Alright everyone, here's an idea. Think of it like this. You traverse through the world and reach "authorization rooms" where Adam lets you use an ability. That way you can see it as an accomplishment for getting to a certain point in the game. If that doesn't work for you, close your eyes and picture a power bomb in the room, walk forward, hum the item acquisition song, and PRESTO. Problem solved.

Samus doesn't want to be fed, she wants to hunt!

Nemesis_

robor said:
God some people are retarded.

Yes. We're retarded because we don't explicitly agree with you.

SO retarded. U_U

It's not like people are saying ZOMFG I AM NOT BUYING THIS GAME BECAUSE SAMUS DOES NOT FIND HER POWER UPS.

XenoRaven

So I'm at my mom's house for vacation and I went downstairs and she had made breakfast for me. I'm all like "What the hell mom? I can't enjoy it like this! Now I'm gonna go back upstairs. You take that breakfast and hide it in an obvious spot that I will eventually have to go to anyway if I want to leave the house. That's the only way it's good!"

robor

Nemesis556 said:

SO retarded. U_U

It's not like people are saying ZOMFG I AM NOT BUYING THIS GAME BECAUSE SAMUS DOES NOT FIND HER POWER UPS.

No, I am fine with anyone disliking this game entirely. I just find it hard to concede that such a thing is considered cheap and/or lazy.

Nemesis556 said:
Diablohead said:
Not being able to use a skill until authorised sounds a bit silly, ruins a metroid for me just hearing that.

I'm sure sometime down the road my cousin will own it and then I can finally try it out.

lol

XenoRaven said:
So I'm at my mom's house for vacation and I went downstairs and she had made breakfast for me. I'm all like "What the hell mom? I can't enjoy it like this! Now I'm gonna go back upstairs. You take that breakfast and hide it in an obvious spot that I will eventually have to go to anyway if I want to leave the house. That's the only way it's good!"

if I open the instruction manual and see "win" mapped to one of the buttons, I'm blaming it on you.

Penguin

Nemesis556 said:

SO retarded. U_U

Are you sure?

Diablohead said:
Not being able to use a skill until authorised sounds a bit silly, ruins a metroid for me just hearing that.

I'm sure sometime down the road my cousin will own it and then I can finally try it out.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
farnham said:
1 hour until review embargo lifts

preparing for bailout

I don't know why, but I've got a feeling we're going to see scores all over the place for this one. I think it's going to be a very polarizing game.

Kusagari

mike.gif

at where this thread is going. Only going to get worse when the embargo lifts. :lol

robor

Plinko said:
I don't know why, but I've got a feeling we're going to see scores all over the place for this one. I think it's going to be a very polarizing game.

The power of Sakamoto's uninhibited imagination. : P

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I think the authorization stuff, while kind of lame, makes a lot more sense than the 'Samus gets hurt and loses everything' trope yet again.

To be fair, changing a gameplay device that helped define the older games is perfectly valid criticism. This sounds like Final Fantasy XIII all over again. Great production values but lacks some of the aspects that made people fall in love with the franchise to begin with.

I'm not trying to troll or anything, as I have not played the game yet, but I watched a good hour of it and the skepticism is perfectly warranted. I didn't see much of what defines Metroid in the footage I watched, and it was full of terrible cutscenes, lame characters with Halo-quality faces, forgettable and ineffective music (when there was music), and uninspired level design.

People have every right to be upset based on what information has come from reviews, impressions, and some of the live gameplay and I completely agree with every negative criticism I've seen mentioned in this thread. The gameplay does look fun, the visuals are pretty good despite some bland art direction, and things could change for the better as the game goes along. I don't know. But what I've seen of the game so far, frankly, has been very unimpressive.

Looking at the last couple of posts I have no idea what has been happening in here recently, but it doesn't look good. Everybody ready for those reviews? :D

ShockingAlberto said:
I think the idea that something defines Metroid besides, you know, Metroids is universal is silly in and of itself.

I can't agree with that at all so to each his own. If some of the best aspects of a franchise, the aspects that keep people coming back for more are missing, then what? I was excited for Other M because it's a new Metroid game, and if it doesn't give me the things that the older games did, the things that made me love those, then to me it's a rousing disappointment.

I agree, I think scores are going to be all over the place. Depending on if people are expecting Prime 4 out of this or not. I wouldn't be surprised if the Prime series was a lot of current game journalist's first experience with Metroid. My personal expectations for the game put it some where between Prime 1 (pinnacle for me) and Fusion (mid tier for me).

Honestly the thing that I think is going to bother me the most, is that enemies don't drop health and weapon recharge items, and how linear (like Fusion) it seems like its going to be. That said though I think its still going to be a good game, and can not wait to play it.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Baiano19 said:
Never a Metroid game before had so much bad word of mouth...

I am expecting meltdowns :/
It's actually had pretty damn good word of mouth from people that have spent substantial hands on time with it.

robor

brandonh83 said:
To be fair, changing a gameplay device that helped define the older games is perfectly valid criticism. This sounds like Final Fantasy XIII all over again. Great production values but lacks some of the aspects that made people fall in love with the franchise to begin with.

But it HASN'T changed, it is merely emphasized differently. The pacing of the game is still intact and follows the previous Metroid games.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
XenoRaven said:
Hey guys, did you know that Resident Evil 4 isn't a real Resident Evil game? It's not about traversing through an enclosed area and shooting zombies with a fixed camera angle view. It's about shooting things that are smarter and more agile than zombies with an over the shoulder view! I mean what the fuck Capcom. Way to ruin a storied franchise.

I know this is sarcasm, and probably not even intended as bait... but I'd like to raise an issue with your comparison all the same. While RE4 did change things up quite a bit, most of those changes were forgiven, if not just accepted, because RE4 turned out to be a great game. Your point will be entirely moot, if not non-sequitur, if Other M turns out to be a simply average or mediocre game.

Diffense

heringer said:
Well, as are most effects of a videogame on you. :p

It doesn't ruin anything, but I can see why some people might be a little turned off by this decision.

I'm with you. It's the over-reaction I don't get.
Samus is taking fine grained orders.
It sucks, it's probably supposed to.

I think it's great that we'll probably hate it as if we were Samus.
So I think the effect of putting us in her shoes is going to be effective.
Mehanically, however, nothing has really changed so the sky is falling stuff is absurd.

robor said:
But it HASN'T changed, it is merely emphasized differently. The pacing of the game is still intact and follows the previous Metroid games.

I hope you're right. What I saw of the game doesn't gel with that, but we'll see. I'm merely voicing concerns based on the extended footage I watched; I'm not here to hate. Look at my avatar. :lol

Guevara

black_vegeta said:
What the fuck happened to this thread? :lol

Gloom and Doom coupled with no news to talk about. I don't think anyone was expecting Prime 4 but I was at least hoping for Fusion 2.

ShockingAlberto said:
I think the idea that something defines Metroid besides, you know, Metroids is universal is silly in and of itself.

This is true, considering the variety exhibited in this series. As long as there's some exploration, and backtracking I'll be happy. Which I'm not going to make any assumptions about based on the streams I've seen. Some people are just really shitty at these style games, they walk right past a broken open grate and don't explore where it leads etc etc.

I honestly didn't want another Prime game. I loved them to pieces, but three of them in that style was plenty. I was glad to see Metroid develop this new perspective/style, I'm just concerned that it will lack the essence of the series. Prime managed to keep it intact in a whole new perspective, and to be fair, I was skeptical about that one too. So that experience gives me more hope. Again, not here to hate. I'm excited to get it. But what I watched of it brought me down a lot. Here's hoping that actually playing it can lift me back up.

Snaku said:
A shitty stream of the game being played by a moron happened.

Oh Lord.

People need to wait until they actually play the game to make judgement, but THIS IS GAF...

Embargo cometh and their tears will taste delicious. My thirst will be quenched.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
"Sakamoto has never let my ass down". Smash Brotha

I still don't understand some of you. I'm a classic Metroid fan. Nintendo fan. Sakamoto fan. R&D1 fan. I am super excited about this game.

I could care less if the "voice acting isn't up to my video game standards". Hopefully Sakamoto, Nintendo, Team Ninja, and D-Rockets deliver one awesome game. From what I've seen, I am excited to play!

Oxymoron

ShockingAlberto said:
Haha, the idea that Metroids define Metroid is pretty silly, too - Prime 2 didn't have a single Metroid in the entire game.

Hiltz

If I remember correctly, Samus also took orders in Metroid Prime 3 from Elysia's SkyTown's Aurora Unit as well as the Galactic Federation.

LM4sure

Banned
Wait, so Samus has all her powerups at the beginning of the game, but they don't become unlocked until later in the game? What's the story there? Why can't she use them? Is there some restriction in place by the Galactic Federation? This makes no sense!

black_vegeta said:
People need to wait until they actually play the game to make judgement, but THIS IS GAF...

"actually playing the game" is not going to get rid of the horrible, Sega/Bungie-style cutscenes that infected quite a bit of the playtime I saw with the game. I'm just hoping that this sort of dissipates the further you get in because if it doesn't, I'm not going to have nice things to say about it.

XenoRaven

Oxymoron said:
Haha, the idea that Metroids define Metroid is pretty silly, too - Prime 2 didn't have a single Metroid in the entire game.
Yes it did. There was a room where the Space Pirates kept Metroids in tanks. One of those tanks had a dead Space Pirate in it that they were feeding on. Also, there were Dark Metroids roaming free in certain sections of Dark Aether.

hatchx

Banned
This thread is so up and down.

Didn't we already know Samus is authorized for some upgrades?

I guess we'll wait another twenty minutes and see reviews. Is this a 70s game or an 80s game?

The Hermit

brandonh83 said:
I honestly didn't want another Prime game. I loved them to pieces, but three of them in that style was plenty. I was glad to see Metroid develop this new perspective/style, I'm just concerned that it will lack the essence of the series. Prime managed to keep it intact in a whole new perspective, and to be fair, I was skeptical about that one too. So that experience gives me more hope. Again, not here to hate. I'm excited to get it. But what I watched of it brought me down a lot. Here's hoping that actually playing it can lift me back up.

I remember when people were talking about MP a couple of days before the release, and the word was if that was the best game ever...

I was expecting the comments about Other M being in the same vein as " could this be as good as MP" and not " is this really Metroid?" like we are getting

brandonh83 said:
"actually playing the game" is not going to get rid of the horrible, Sega/Bungie-style cutscenes that infected quite a bit of the playtime I saw with the game. I'm just hoping that this sort of dissipates the further you get in because if it doesn't, I'm not going to have nice things to say about it.
Quite a few impressions said that the cutscenes are usually spread out pretty far.

brandonh83 said:

This is Team Ninja we are talking about here. They never had Square Enix quality cutscenes in any of their games anyways. To me, it's expected.

*shoulder shrug*

I was thinking it would be awesome if Nintendo ported this engine to the 3DS, and gave us a remake of Metroid II in this graphics engine. Obviously the first person view stuff would have to go and there would have to be some other changes but I still think it could work. Plus I really want a fucking remake of Metroid II (yes I know about the fan one really looking forward to it's release).

Top Bottom