• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

Haunted

I officially rescind my dig at Brad's gaming skills, he's doing fine in that QL. Having finished the game (up to the last boss) already does help, apparently. :p

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Tathanen said:
Aaaaaaaaaand reviewed.

http://www.n-sider.com/gameview.php?gameid=6446&view=review

Some extra notes, as promised:

-Skippable cinemas on second play
-Hard mode after double-beat (not beating it twice, sorry, just getting the full real ending)
-Art gallery stuff, actually realized the significance of something I did in the game only after looking at the art of it

Open to any questions!

100% after 11.5 hours

Perfect length.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
NintendoAmerica

"Best Metroid ever" according to GameFan's #Metroid: Other M review (9.5). Check out the current issue now!

Sipowicz

Banned
actually gamesradar isn't complete shit like gameinformer. i guessed this will get middling scores from notable sites/magazines

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Mafro said:
6.25 from Game Informer http://bit.ly/dCdAyS

AndHereWeGo.gif

I'm sorry, but this review just seems like a lengthy butthurt response at the cinematics and storyline.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
It especially can’t make up for what Other M has done to Samus as a character. She’ll forever be trapped in my mind as a whiny, talkative child who is too willing to give up her freedom and too petulant to be likable.!
I really wish we could skip the cutscenes. Sucks for those who have spent the last 15 years building their own vision of Samus Aran the bounty hunter, and get the canon version of Samus Aran the baby.

This game is seriously polarizing people.

Plinko said:
I'm sorry, but this review just seems like a lengthy butthurt response at the cinematics and storyline.

Yeah half the review is all about how they hated the cinematics and dialogue. Typical.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Complaints about Samus' character being ruined, transformed into some sort of petulant child, are just so idiotic. Sure, that describes her a bit... when she was A CHILD. When she was a young punk in the federation. It doesn't describe her at all in the present day, or in any of the other games. Sure she's brooding and a bit insecure but does that really not fit?

LM4sure

Banned
8.5...sounds good, not great. Nintendo should bring the next Metroid in house.

Wouldn't be surprised if this becomes best selling Metroid game EVER

Snaku

Banned
Tathanen said:
Complaints about Samus' character being ruined, transformed into some sort of petulant child, are just so idiotic. Sure, that describes her a bit... when she was A CHILD. When she was a young punk in the federation. It doesn't describe her at all in the present day, or in any of the other games. Sure she's brooding and a bit insecure but does that really not fit?

Snaku said:
Buh-but she's a super confident bad ass loner, who's deaf-mute character I'm intimately familiar with after 24 years of companionship!

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
LM4sure said:
8.5...sounds good, not great. Nintendo should bring the next Metroid in house.

Wouldn't be surprised if this becomes best selling Metroid game EVER
It was a collaboration - Nintendo's SPD Production Group 1 + Team Ninja + D-Rockets.

hatchx

Banned
Interesting reviews.

I'm still going to get this game.

Little disappointed it won't even hold a candle to Prime, but I suppose that was expected. Retro is way more talented than Team Ninja.

farnham

Banned
the reviews i care about are IGN, Gamespot, Gametrailers and 1up. 2 out of 4 have been pretty okay

But still its not the Metroid Prime series quality that we got the last few years.

I really hope nintendo gives this franchises back to retro

Diffense

My gut tells me that 8.5-9.0 is about right if a number can even make any sense.
The 6s seem to be from people on a crusade to dictate what Samus should be.

Sipowicz

Banned
Eurogamer 8

decent scores from the decent outlets so far

interesting to see what score edge/giantbomb gave it. giantbomb were pretty cool on it so i expect their review to be interesting

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
farnham said:
But still its not the Metroid Prime series quality that we got the last few years.

I really hope nintendo gives this franchises back to retro
Looking at Donkey Kong Returns, I'm also pretty sure Retro could do Other M better. :lol

Speevy

Banned
For those who were playing Metroid Prime and thought it was good, but really wanted a third person game in 3D, we'll make you regret that wish.

CoolS

I love these reviews "Controls aren't so hot" "Controls are unique and responsive" :lol

Overall what I expected. Even more hyped now!

And the IGN Closing comments and gameplay, presentation and so on scores sound great!

Sipowicz

Banned
Speevy said:
For those who were playing Metroid Prime and thought it was good, but really wanted a third person game in 3D, we'll make you regret that wish.

to be fair, the only really negative review has come from gameinformer and they're one of the worst magazines out there

giantbomb/eurogamer/gamespot all gave it good scores

ASIS

Well.. Seems like the first person view was this game's downfall over all. I'll try it for myself to truly judge but honestly, the reviews are really good.

BTW Gameinformer strikes again!

Combine

Banned
6.25 from GameInformer, isn't that the same score they gave Paper Mario 2? Looks like I'm going to enjoy this game then :lol

I think people should re-play Metroid Zero Mission and Fusion before this game to get a better sense of what things will be like, especially in terms of Samus' character. I have a feeling most disappointment comes from expecting another game like Prime.

Bentendo

The Game Informer score would bother me if I didn't know that they gave the exact same score to Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door.

EDIT: Damn the poster above me.

I'm pretty pleased with the reception so far. I can relate to most criticisms (fom what I've seen so far) and I've pretty much put up with them. Surely a case of lowered expectations, but it seems like a fine Metroid game after all.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Threi said:
your expectations of what review scores it would get i'm sure you meant.
That's right. For some reason I was expecting this to be a media darling with 9s and 10s from everyone.

Not like I'm canceling my order or anything.

Seda said:
MTV Multiplayer

"Metroid: Other M" is an authentic experience that will please many fans of the series. Unfortunately it is also fundamentally flawed in some potentially game-killing ways. If you can get past the occasional frustrations, there's a lot of fun and fan service to be had.

No score given

Why are you spoilering this?

Top Bottom