• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

black_vegeta said:
This is Team Ninja we are talking about here. They never had Square Enix quality cutscenes in any of their games anyways. To me, it's expected.

*shoulder shrug*

Which, you know, is more or less why they probably shouldn't have included cutscenes in the first place. If you can't do something well, why do it? I'm not even opposed to the idea of Metroid having cutscenes and more of a story, though I'm not exactly a fan of the idea either, but in addition to them adding numerous cutscenes, they're not even good.

EmCeeGramr said:
Quite a few impressions said that the cutscenes are usually spread out pretty far.

From what I saw, that's true, but when they do occur, they're pretty long, and really, really bad.

[Nintex]

I'm wondering about the map of this game, I saw a bunch of elevators and I certainly hope that all the parts are connected(just like Super Metroid and Metroid Prime) and not just closed area's that you reach by elevator.

[Nintex]

EmCeeGramr said:
I don't think Team Ninja did the cutscenes or story at all.

Blame Nintendo and D-Rockets for them.
Yep, especially D-Rockets who made the storyboard and got Sakamoto crying because of how amazing it was.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
daakusedo said:
Prepare yourself ign has the link but it's 404 for now.
DO you really think an IGN review will deter people from buying? I'm like everyone in having my mind made up on this regardless on reviews. IGN will save us /rollseyes

Can't skip cut-scenes, sell all Nintendo stock!

miksar

I'd be fine if the lack of upgrades wasn't explained at all. Instead Samus always loses them for some dumb reason and at the same time always begins the game without any energy tanks she had previously earned. For a good reason: it is a videogame, after all.

By the way, I'm okay with Adam orders in Other M. The game immediately follows Super Metroid and, as someone mentioned already, there's no way Samus could obtain Chozo upgrades on an abandoned ship. Other M is supposed to bring some new players to the series, and if everything is available from the very beginning, it might alienate those who are not familiar with Metroid.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Yep, especially D-Rockets who made the storyboard and got Sakamoto crying because of how amazing it was.

Well the storyboard is just linking the chronology of what animation / scene accompanies a text. Sakamoto wrote the scenario, but perhaps the question is who translated it into english. It was done in Japan for sure.

Not that I even have a remote care. But it's the constant ridicule of over analytical nerds here! We act like if all of a sudden Japan made English dubs have some high standard to maintain.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Iwata: Kitaura-san, the first step for you was reading the scenario that Sakamoto-san had written, wasn't it?

Kitaura: Yes, that's right. Before meeting Sakamoto-san, I read the scenario and prepared some storyboards. Since this was going to be a long-term project, I felt that it was important for us to have an affinity for each other. In fact, I was prepared to resign from the project if Sakamoto-san didn't seem to like my storyboards when he saw them.

As usual Sakamoto wrote the scenario. Kitaura of D-Rockets did the story boards and CG.

Hey all,

I believe I've covered just about everything in this gargantuan review of mine. Please do let me know what you think!

DigitalChumps Metroid: Other M review

Don't let the score disappoint you. It's true that this is a weaker Metroid title overall, but it's still a great game... and if you're a true fan, you owe it to yourself to experience it.

Enjoy!

-Steve

Diffense

Remember there are still people avoiding spoliers!!!!
Review scores are about in the expected range but I'm not reading any of them.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
black_vegeta said:
What about gameplay, length, control, sound?

Okay let me rephrase, questions about things I didn't talk about in the review please.

And othersteve, yeah. Though the way it gets yanked away from you really reads as "oops sequel" to me.

Mafro

6.25 from Game Informer http://bit.ly/dCdAyS

AndHereWeGo.gif

Gameinformer said:
Late in the game, once Samus unlocks all of her abilities and begins meeting more familiar faces from the series, I experienced fleeting moments where it all clicked, and I saw glimpses of how great Other M could have been. But an hour or two of less painful gameplay can’t make up for the bad design choices at this game’s core. It especially can’t make up for what Other M has done to Samus as a character. She’ll forever be trapped in my mind as a whiny, talkative child who is too willing to give up her freedom and too petulant to be likable. Metroid: Other M is the most disappointing Nintendo release in quite some time and a blemish that isn’t likely to be forgotten on an otherwise superb franchise.
Woah, I really hope I will see the game with different eyes. That's terrible. :lol

Top Bottom